ADVERTISEMENT

No class by the HPSS during the Game

It's bad enough the Morgan St. band was buried in the nosebleed Upper Section and could not perform on the Field at half time , but every time they started to play the HPSS Announcer immediately blast loud music over the HPSS speakers to drown them out. Happened on about 15 different occasions during the game.
Totally classless HPSS. Frick'n a##holes.
Horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible
We are the a$$es of the B1G

Lmao. Found the band geek guys!

Joking aside... Seriously calm down.

Great point! Then why did the DJ feel the need to drown them out?
We'll to be fair our new DJ does drown out our offense from time to time. He really needs to tone it down. Also what's with the air raid horn now on third downs? We do air guitar and now air raid horn as well? That a lot of sh*t to cram into a 3rd down play. This guy completely sucks all around.

Reactions: colbert17
It's bad enough the Morgan St. band was buried in the nosebleed Upper Section and could not perform on the Field at half time , but every time they started to play the HPSS Announcer immediately blast loud music over the HPSS speakers to drown them out. Happened on about 15 different occasions during the game.
Totally classless HPSS. Frick'n a##holes.

I now feel dumber for reading this.
Thank you.

It is an away band.
Put in the same spot all away bands are put. (Yes most schools bring a small pep band and that is where they go.

This is also commonplace at other schools.

I know for a fact that Indiana did not allow our 20 member pep band to even bring their instruments into the stadium.

Canwe PLEASE stop bitching about stupid shit.

We'll to be fair our new DJ does drown out our offense from time to time. He really needs to tone it down. Also what's with the air raid horn now on third downs? We do air guitar and now air raid horn as well? That a lot of sh*t to cram into a 3rd down play. This guy completely sucks all around.

I would not be surprised if the air raid horn is to down out the F Penn State chat

Everyone deserves courtesy. That's something most people learn in kindergarten. What was the rational for not having them perform or allow them to even play undisturbed in their seats?

Do we know it was RU that dropped the ball? Did Morgan ask to perform at halftime? Was there any coordination ahead of the game?

College football in the 21st century isn't about courtesy, it's about money. Green, green money. We're not giving up a RWJBarnabas ad ($) to be courteous to a visiting band.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
The air horn is to drown out the students F*** PENN STATE chants on third down.

Reactions: MikeR0102
I now feel dumber for reading this.
Thank you.

It is an away band.
Put in the same spot all away bands are put. (Yes most schools bring a small pep band and that is where they go.

This is also commonplace at other schools.

I know for a fact that Indiana did not allow our 20 member pep band to even bring their instruments into the stadium.

Canwe PLEASE stop bitching about stupid shit.
Probably because we didn't let Indiana's marching band perform pregame when they drive all the way out here, and I heard our athletic dept. told them when they got here. Not cool. They returned the favor.

Reactions: cicero grimes
The away team gets their allotment of tickets and decides where to put their band. That's on their school for putting them the upper level.

As far as hearing the away band playing a song during the game ...
latest

Because it's an away band. D'oh!!

Reactions: LETSGORU91
When Indiana drove their entire band to Rutgers, as some of their band students told us at rehearsal Friday, they didn't know that our athletic dept (under Julie Herman) wasn't going to let them perform their pregame show (college band, in particular, B1G bands, perform a pregame show, home and away. This is a long standing tradition. They were shocked. Way to go Rutgers.
I was looking forward to seeing the Morgan State band perform. Heard Morgan State better from the upper deck than I heard the Rutgers band at halftime.

There are threads complaining about how the staff is bringing along our young qb and I thought that thread, the premise of it, was stupid.

But this thread takes the cake. You don't know the facts and your complaining about the fing band, get the f out of here and take this $hitty thread w you. For Pete sakes, fing clown.

While I noticed the DJ playing over the band and I thought it was odd, do I really want to hear the opposing team's band control the sound in OUR stadium? No way!!

The away team gets their allotment of tickets and decides where to put their band. That's on their school for putting them the upper level.

As far as hearing the away band playing a song during the game ...
latest

Under normal circumstances I would agree but one thing you unfortunately did not get to experience was Morgan state's band.

I assure you it is amoung the greatest bands I have ever seen live. They have a unique high step and elaborate halftime program that is so distinctly Morgan so to speak.

That band is unlike anything you see out of the big ten, BIG 10 bands are more traditional, spelling out formations, etc. Morgan is in your face, bold, urban, and extremely fun to watch.

In a game that everyone knew wouldn't be close (I said last week that RU would win by 40+, Morgan's football team is god awful) the band would have definitely been thing thing that you would remember Morgan St by.

It's more a shame for the RU fans to be honest

The NCAA changed a rule to better control the length of halftime, and make sure it is exactly 20 min, as a consequence most schools have cut out having opposing bands play halftime.

Reactions: demauroj
For schools like Howard and Morgan State the band is their pride and a unique show that home schools, particularly ones not in the MEAC would enjoy. This is supposed to be entertainment and since the game wasn't going to have much entertainment value the RU fans were the ones who were cheated out of a fun experience.
Whoever made the decision for the agenda for the day should have included the Morgan State band. A few years ago I took my kids to the Howard game. Today they wouldn't be able to tell me a single detail about the game but they sure remember the show that the Howard band put on. Hopefully this can change in the future.

We play MEAC schools, in part, because they bring their bands. It ups the entertainment factor for an otherwise boring blowout. If we're going to silence their band in the stands and don't let them do a halftime show, it's time to drop the MEAC schools and play some boring-ass tackling dummy school without a band.

Seems like a lack of common courtesy. We pay these schools to come in and get embarrassed by our currently weak football program but we can't let their band, which is the highlight of their day, perform?
I believe that schools should allow both bands to play, these are college kids let them enjoy themselves. Band parents travel to see their kids play, lets be courteous and a good host.

I believe that schools should allow both bands to play, these are college kids let them enjoy themselves. Band parents travel to see their kids play, lets be courteous and a good host.
All of the schools do (allow both bands to perform pregame and halftime), except Rutgers.

Reactions: RU22
The NCAA changed a rule to better control the length of halftime, and make sure it is exactly 20 min, as a consequence most schools have cut out having opposing bands play halftime.
Really? What schools in our conference don't allow the opposing band to play during halftime (with this new rule)?

"All of the schools"?

Bull poopie.
What schools have a standing policy prohibiting the visiting band from performing their pregame (and halftime) show? And, what B1G school does not allow the visiting band to perform their pregame (and halftime) show?
Bull poopie.

Sorry, but you're 10

What schools have a standing policy prohibiting the visiting band from performing their pregame (and halftime) show? And, what B1G school does not allow the visiting band to perform their pregame (and halftime) show?

It's not up to me to show my work. You said that "all the schools" allow the visiting band to play at halftime. That isn't true.

We play MEAC schools, in part, because they bring their bands. It ups the entertainment factor for an otherwise boring blowout. If we're going to silence their band in the stands and don't let them do a halftime show, it's time to drop the MEAC schools and play some boring-ass tackling dummy school without a band.
No. Our fans think we play MEAC schools for the band. In truth, we play them because they come cheap and suck.

Reactions: ssstevem and ATIOH
It's not up to me to show my work. You said that "all the schools" allow the visiting band to play at halftime. That isn't true.
You're right! It seems, after yesterday, the answer is "Rutgers"
Put it this way. In Div 1 college football, I'd like to see what schools prohibit the visiting band from performing on the field, pregame or halftime, let alone crank up the DJ when the visiting band plays in the stands. AND, having the home band mic'd while playing over the opposing team's band, is cheating. Your sound comes from the instruments, not the sound system. Battle of the bands adds to the game

For schools like Howard and Morgan State the band is their pride and a unique show that home schools, particularly ones not in the MEAC would enjoy. This is supposed to be entertainment and since the game wasn't going to have much entertainment value the RU fans were the ones who were cheated out of a fun experience.
Whoever made the decision for the agenda for the day should have included the Morgan State band. A few years ago I took my kids to the Howard game. Today they wouldn't be able to tell me a single detail about the game but they sure remember the show that the Howard band put on. Hopefully this can change in the future.
I did write "all the schools". Perhaps there's another besides RU, in Div I football. Very safe to say, the the ACC, Big 12, PAC 12, SEC, and the B1G that I know well, the bands perform both shows on the field.

Yes.

No. Our fans think we play MEAC schools for the band. In truth, we play them because they come cheap and suck.
And yes.

Love what we do with (and for) the MEAC and SWAC schools. But if this is the case going forward, no music at halftime, I'm cool with going a different direction with regard to the FCS game.

I did write "all the schools". Perhaps there's another besides RU, in Div I football. Very safe to say, the the ACC, Big 12, PAC 12, SEC, and the B1G that I know well, the bands perform both shows on the field.

One of the entertaining moments of a CFB game is to watch the visiting teams Band play.

I suspect that it was the doosh RU DJ that made the decision to drown out the visiting team Band. IMO both bands should play at halftime.

I find it rather amazing that some people here defended this mistreatment of the Morgan State band... and by extension, visiting fans.

I agree with RUband in that the DJ and scoreboard operations team are screwing up the feel of a college game. What I would expect is some kind of coordination between the Rutgers band and the visiting band to decide whose turn it is to play something.

And I'd like to add that maybe it is the loud scoreboard music that confuses out sideline huddles as to when it is time to go back to the field because the clock is running. Maybe no one there can hear the ref's whistle... but it is sheer idiocy more likely the culprit there. A couple times now in different games I have seen an assistant coach break the huddle on the sidelines only to look up and see 10 seconds left on the play clock and get all upset.. as if it wasn't his fault for keeping them there for so long.

But, really, every other venue in the Big Ten seems to handle visiting bands well.. why not Rutgers? Are we trying to do away with the expense of bands altogether and go with the DJ only? Is that where this is all headed?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT