ADVERTISEMENT

No class by the HPSS during the Game

Didn't read the whole thread, but will chime in to say I was annoyed when they kept drowning out the band with piped in music. It seemed cheap and low class. If you want to have our band play over them, so be it. Don't crank up the radio when someone is playing an instrument though.

They travelled to play. If we weren't going to let them play, should have told them that ahead of time, and maybe they wouldn't have bothered spending the dough to ship their entire band up here. Frankly, the concerted effort to drown them out with DJ music felt degrading to me. I would have felt awful about it if I were them. They probably were excited to show their stuff at a big stadium. What a shame.

It's bad enough the Morgan St. band was buried in the nosebleed Upper Section and could not perform on the Field at half time , but every time they started to play the HPSS Announcer immediately blast loud music over the HPSS speakers to drown them out. Happened on about 15 different occasions during the game.
Totally classless HPSS. Frick'n a##holes.

Who is this "Totally classless HPSS" that you speak of?

I did not know that "HPSS" is an organization. I thought it was the name of a stadium.

Reactions: ru66 and ATIOH
Has absolutely nothing to do with the fact our athletic department forbid them from taking the field to perform their pregame, a tradition in the B1G for the last 60+ years.
Oh, boo hoo...cry me a river. It's a RUTGERS home game, we have our own pregame tradition to perform to the home crowd. That particular game the Indiana band was asked to perform in percussion battle pregame and perform with the RU band on the field at half-time. On the Indiana return trip our hospitality was repaid by confiscating the RU bands instruments while entering their stadium. That should some up how opposing venues treat rival bands, right or wrong. Do some research before posting. Oh, also bands battling is prevalent in high school games and basketball venues, not football games.

Reactions: Scarlet4ever
I was looking forward to seeing the Morgan State band perform. Heard Morgan State better from the upper deck than I heard the Rutgers band at halftime.
Hope you enjoy MSU's pregame, halftime and game performances this coming Saturday.

One of the entertaining moments of a CFB game is to watch the visiting teams Band play.

I suspect that it was the doosh RU DJ that made the decision to drown out the visiting team Band. IMO both bands should play at halftime.
What? Is this a joke?

Oh, boo hoo...cry me a river. It's a RUTGERS home game, we have our own pregame tradition to perform to the home crowd. That particular game the Indiana band was asked to perform in percussion battle pregame and perform with the RU band on the field at half-time. On the Indiana return trip our hospitality was repaid by confiscating the RU bands instruments while entering their stadium. That should some up how opposing venues treat rival bands, right or wrong. Do some research before posting. Oh, also bands battling is prevalent in high school games and basketball venues, not football games.
Mr RU, you are wrong, wrong, wrong. The Indiana band found out that they were not going to perform pregame here (a huge, longstanding tradition in the conference we are now in) while traveling to New Jersey. I was at the Indiana/Rutgers band practice Friday, Indiana band members told us. As far as college marching bands not "competing ", trading selections in the stands, along with their performances on the field, you're mistaken here as well. How many college football games have you attended where there are two really good bands going at it. It is a game within the game. I'd like to get you, and a few others from this board, to the UM - OSU game, you would not believe the pageantry, rivalry between the bands, let alone the game.

Could there be a more stereotypical "Jersey" thing than a DJ at a college football game?

We are by far and away not the only school that has a DJ at their football games. I think Penn State may have even had one before we did.

Has absolutely nothing to do with the fact our athletic department forbid them from taking the field to perform their pregame, a tradition in the B1G for the last 60+ years.

You might also remember the Indiana Athletic Department prevented the RU Tavel band from bringing their instruments into the stadium when they visited a couple of years ago.

College football in the 21st century isn't about courtesy, it's about money. Green, green money. We're not giving up a RWJBarnabas ad ($) to be courteous to a visiting band.
Agree.

But I would like to see "THE BIRTHPLACE OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL" placed in the ribbon boards rotation.

to whoever said Julie refused to allow the Indiana band to perform at Halftime:

post Scarlet Walk Indiana vs RU drumline drum off:

DSCN0587_zpsxa7m06xf.jpg

Indiana AND RU performing the halftime show together for Military Appreciation Day:

DSCN0652_zpscsainl6e.jpg

Post game Indiana performed and so did RU

DSCN0678_zpsqvxur0up.jpg

Morgan State Band up in the corner. I sit up on that side. I have never seen the opposing team band up there, ever

I don't understand why it's so hard for some people to grasp this concept - the visiting section used to be in the lower corner. Now it's in the two ends of the upper deck. It was changed when we joined Big Ten 3 seasons ago to be both the lower corner and upper corner, and now it's just both upper corners as of last season, 3,000 seats as per the B1G rules. Since then, no team has brought their full band, until today. However, a few have brought pep bands, including Washington and Penn State, both of which sat in designated away section in the upper deck. Today it was just noticeable because there were NO large groups of Morgan state fans - the visitor sections were empty. They weren't "stuck" up there, the bands are seated near their fans, not on the 50 yard line behind the team bench !!!! except Morgan had no fans there, so that's why it looked funny. Easy concept! As for the DJ and the not doing halftime, well that's an athletic dept topic, but as for the seating, it was as it's always done so get over it!!

Reactions: RUinOhio
You might also remember the Indiana Athletic Department prevented the RU Tavel band from bringing their instruments into the stadium when they visited a couple of years ago.
Was this arranged between athletic departments prior to the game (pep band in the stands), or did we show up with the instruments (after we didn't let them perform pregame, a longstanding tradition in our conference), and they didn't find out until they were on there way here. I actually believe we (former AD administration) did not intend on letting them perform pregame, AND, since we are in the B1G, and visiting bands in the B1G have regularly been performing a pregame show for the last 60 years, or more, it was safe for them to expect to perform pregame. They brought 250 from Indiana, and we skunked 'em. They're not going to extend the olive branch to us.

Was this arranged between athletic departments prior to the game (pep band in the stands), or did we show up with the instruments (after we didn't let them perform pregame, a longstanding tradition in our conference), and they didn't find out until they were on there way here. I actually believe we (former AD administration) did not intend on letting them perform pregame, AND, since we are in the B1G, and visiting bands in the B1G have regularly been performing a pregame show for the last 60 years, or more, it was safe for them to expect to perform pregame. They brought 250 from Indiana, and we skunked 'em. They're not going to extend the olive branch to us.

I respect your dedication to all things... um... band-like, but... I feel like you might be happier in a lesser football conference.

Please see my post above proving we did NOT skunk them. They performed pre game in the glen, at half time with us for the military appreciation show and after the game.

I really don't get the other side of this one. I am not a "band person." I honestly couldn't care less if there were no bands. This annoyed me from the standpoint that I thought it was degrading. If we were going to simply turn up the stadium music every time they tried to play, we should have just told them they weren't welcome to bring their band. I just felt like it was extremely rude.

I've never sent an email to any AD at Rutgers regarding gameday experience. I will most likely send one on Monday.

A 65-0 rout and you find something to bitch about...you really need to get a life, seriously. Negativity regarding the treatment of our opponents marching band, really?
Yes, really! We're in a conference that values the pageantry and performance of each school's marching band. Pregame and halftime. It would be wise for Rutgers to adhere to this philosophy.

Reactions: cicero grimes
I really don't get the other side of this one. I am not a "band person." I honestly couldn't care less if there were no bands. This annoyed me from the standpoint that I thought it was degrading. If we were going to simply turn up the stadium music every time they tried to play, we should have just told them they weren't welcome to bring their band. I just felt like it was extremely rude.

I've never sent an email to any AD at Rutgers regarding gameday experience. I will most likely send one on Monday.
Go to a big ten game where there are two bands there, you will see what I'm talking about

Another note, whenever a band visited Ann Arbor, they were always invited into the bandhall afterward for donuts and cider, some food to hold them over until they got on the road.

I'm no band person either, but I do question the practicality of sending a band to sit in a upper deck, with instruments, flags and all, even if we have ramps to the upper deck. Walking to a seat in the HPSS upper deck is no fun even with nothing in your hands or around your shoulders. The upper deck is at a fairly steep pitch too.

Reactions: RUBand
We are by far and away not the only school that has a DJ at their football games. I think Penn State may have even had one before we did.
Having a DJ at a game was never a point in question; it's having a DJ crank up tunes as soon as the visiting band plays. Or our band plays, mic'd (which is cheating) into the sound system.

A lot to address in this thread.

First off, if you have nothing to add except to comment on or insult the OP, stay out.

Second, let's keep focused on what the issue is: the Morgan State band came, was seated in the corner of the upper deck, did not perform a halftime show, and clashed with both the PA system and our home band while playing.

Third, keep it civil you miserable, misbegotten whorespawn!

Fourth, let's cut out the obscenities please.

Okay, a few things jumped out at me. They were in the upper deck, which, from my experience, pretty much assured that they wouldn't be doing a halftime show. Moving a band that size, and they were pretty damn big, down a level then out onto the field takes a considerable amount of time and coordination. Also, nobody seemed to have coordinated between their playing time, our band's playing time, and the scoreboard sound system. That's sloppy on our part. Very sloppy.

Another thing which happens at a lot of HBC games is that the bands play all the time. Even leading into plays. I've seen it a number of times. But that doesn't fit here. I had a couple of people in my section who thought it was very disrespectful. I explained to them about that tradition, but did agree with them that their band should be aware of how things work outside of their normal schedule. Again, I think with the proper coordination from our athletic department this could have been mitigated or avoided.

On to the various posts I wanted to respond to:
I was looking forward to seeing the Morgan State band perform. Heard Morgan State better from the upper deck than I heard the Rutgers band at halftime.
They had a really good size band - were around 20 some odd tubas, a lot of brass. Plus, the sound of a band carries much better from the upper deck.
While I noticed the DJ playing over the band and I thought it was odd, do I really want to hear the opposing team's band control the sound in OUR stadium? No way!!
I agree about controlling the sound in the stadium, but it really embellishes the atmosphere when you have both bands contributing.
For schools like Howard and Morgan State the band is their pride and a unique show that home schools, particularly ones not in the MEAC would enjoy. This is supposed to be entertainment and since the game wasn't going to have much entertainment value the RU fans were the ones who were cheated out of a fun experience.
We play MEAC schools, in part, because they bring their bands. It ups the entertainment factor for an otherwise boring blowout. If we're going to silence their band in the stands and don't let them do a halftime show, it's time to drop the MEAC schools and play some boring-ass tackling dummy school without a ban
Gotta agree with both of you on this. Many in my tailgate were looking forward to seeing the halftime performance of the Morgan State band.
All of the schools do (allow both bands to perform pregame and halftime), except Rutgers.
This has been a long tradition in the Big Ten when it can be coordinated.
Could there be a more stereotypical "Jersey" thing than a DJ at a college football game?
I don't even know if it's a DJ doing this during the game. I do know that these damn scoreboard packages now include all of the same garbage you hear at professional sporting events. And it's being regurgitated to us en masse.

Um, B1G is my conference, bands are big in this conference.

Yes, but you seem determined to try and make it a band competition. (e.g., your RIDICULOUS statement that the RU band being mic'd, in its home stadium, is "cheating").

It's not.

It's a football game. In OUR stadium.

The idea is to make the atmosphere as unpleasant and hostile for the visiting team as possible.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Having a DJ at a game was never a point in question; it's having a DJ crank up tunes as soon as the visiting band plays. Or our band plays, mic'd (which is cheating) into the sound system.

I was responding to the following comment, made by you, so my response made sense:

Please see my post above proving we did NOT skunk them. They performed pre game in the glen, at half time with us for the military appreciation show and after the game.
They were intending on performing their pregame SHOW on the field. Performing several selections, drum line features, at the glen happened before the game, but is not pregame show, marching, on the field. THIS is what the bands practice for, their shows on the field.

A good job (in your opinion) by the RU athletic department for drowning out a good undergraduate marching band with our loud PA system because you don't want to hear them?

No worse then other people complaining that it was a bad job (in their opinion) because they didn't get to hear them. I remember a couple of years ago Howard's band would play pretty much during our entire offensive possessions.

I don't know about all Big 10 traditions. I went to Ohio State RU game in their 107,000 seat stadium. Some major portion of our band went as they were just in the tier below me. They did not perform either in the pregame or half time. Sitting in the Rutgers section I did not here any RU complaints about the band being ignored. We were just glad to have our traditional fight songs etc played.

Reactions: MrsScrew
I don't know about all Big 10 traditions. I went to Ohio State RU game in their 107,000 seat stadium. Some major portion of our band went as they were just in the tier below me. They did not perform either in the pregame or half time. Sitting in the Rutgers section I did not here any RU complaints about the band being ignored. We were just glad to have our traditional fight songs etc played.
Rutgers didn't send the marching band, but rather a pep band drawn from the marching band. And I heard the same about OSU treating our band well.

It is when the Rutgers band plays a selection through several thousand watts of amped power 10 seconds after the visiting band starts to play.

No, it's not.

See, for something to be "cheating", there have to be actual rules.

So go off, find the NCAA rules for band performances at football games and get back to us.

Otherwise, the your entire premise is stupid. It's our team, our stadium, our band, our sound system, our fans, We don't owe the visiting band a damn thing. They get free tickets to the game.

Reactions: OTBOTOR
to whoever said Julie refused to allow the Indiana band to perform at Halftime:

post Scarlet Walk Indiana vs RU drumline drum off:

DSCN0587_zpsxa7m06xf.jpg

Indiana AND RU performing the halftime show together for Military Appreciation Day:

DSCN0652_zpscsainl6e.jpg

Post game Indiana performed and so did RU

DSCN0678_zpsqvxur0up.jpg

Morgan State Band up in the corner. I sit up on that side. I have never seen the opposing team band up there, ever

Indiana's drum line performed at the Scarlet Walk, and with the RU band during halftime. Indiana's band did NOT perform their pregame show, marching and playing, in the stadium, on the football field.

Indiana's drum line performed at the Scarlet Walk, and with the RU band during halftime. Indiana's band did NOT perform their pregame show, marching and playing, in the stadium, on the football field.

Dude, seriously... oh my god... SO WHAT?!?!

Reactions: MrsScrew
I was responding to the following comment, made by you, so my response made sense:
The DJ at our games bothered me twice since the stadium was rebuilt - when they played music too loud, in my opinion, before the game when GS was coach, and yesterday, playing over the Morgan St. band. Otherwise, we're on the same page.

Reactions: bac2therac
The powers that be at Rutgers still seem determined to turn the game experience into a minor league baseball game.
I thought we were done with this when Mr. Brown was shown the door.

Hearing both bands is one of many reason why the college football experience is better than the NFL.
Or like Arena football.

Didn't perform their pregame show because they performed in the show at half time combined with our band in quick Tim Smith called him "an ensemble of 500 musicians" when, in fact, Indiana only bought 195 members of their 250 member band, and we only had 185 members on the field. Another Tim Smith life.

Bottom line in this ridiculous thread - no one who has posted in this thread is part of the athletic department. No one knows what was discussed between the two schools prior to the game. So before you start killing your own school, I imagine ru band was or is a student with that moniker, you ought to know you know nothing of what you comment on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT