ADVERTISEMENT

Not impressed at all

It’s the same old Rutgers because they have trouble scoring and terrible FT shooting. Tell me I’m wrong.
The freethrow shooting is concerning, and mind blowing. But, I see a huge difference in play. Don't agree that the D was horrible as many here think. I think they just got lazy in the second half. Consistency comes with experience.

Do you bench Geo too because he is also reckless?
Six turnovers to one... big difference between the two tonight. Young will need to take better care of the rock moving forward. First game after sitting a year, I hope that had something to do with it.

Reactions: RUonBrain
Point is they are the best we have. You don’t bench your best players.

Young may become one of the better players but I didn't see it this game. Caleb was one of the better players last year, what changed? Is Young better than McConnell? I guess we'll see. Geo has kind of leveled off. 2pts with a few minutes left against Bryant is not gonna cut it.

Reactions: RutHut
Pike was doing a lot of experimenting. Hopefully it won't take too long to find out the best lineups and proper rotation. 3 pt and foul shooting need to improve if we are to have any chance of a good season.

Young may become one of the better players but I didn't see it this game. Caleb was one of the better players last year, what changed? Is Young better than McConnell? I guess we'll see. Geo has kind of leveled off. 2pts with a few minutes left against Bryant is not gonna cut it.
Young is a true PG and our only PG.

I was pretty disappointed tonight like everyone. But before we jump off the ledge we were up 13 or 15 with 8 minutes left. 8 truly awful minutes to end the game, but still. With 8 or 10 left in the 2nd half I thought we were going to blow them out, honestly.

The only good thing about this game was I got to sit in the front row with my wife directly behind Pike.

Reactions: vilo
Don't point guards pass sometimes? Just because he's shorter than everyone doesn't mean he's a true PG.
That’s on Pike. We played like we don’t have a PG. Need more pick and roll or screens. We ran the same sets as last year.

i thing you meant missing Eugene.
No I meant Jay Young who was the Mastermind of our defense the past few years. So many players were out of position and had no idea what they were doing on picks. They consistently had wide open 3s.

Reactions: RUonBrain
YES, just one game....but with the hype around this team tonight didn’t show much.

harper can not be THAT BAD at the line

Poor coaching

poor shooting

poor free throws

didn’t see any development out of Mathis or Harper

Can we all please relax....... We did not play well and will only get better. We have so many more scoring options this year compared to the last 15 years. We started the game playing tough D, but that did not continue the rest of the game. I am sure it will improve.

We played 1 game! The only slight concern I have is that the team will have to be a great 5 players on the court "team" rebounding team. If we don't have everyone rebounding, then we will be in trouble against the bigger Big Ten teams and Seton Hall and Pitt.

Best of Luck,
Groz

Reactions: goru7
Pike. Out coached again. What was he doing? He almost lost that game. Wayy too many subs. No full court press or traps, so there's no need to sub. Smh. Poor Caleb and Ron. Can't expect much from CM if he's not in the game. Just like last year. Didn't play him until you needed him. If he gets minutes he'll produce. The whole teams looked bad. Geo played horrible. SMH.. Paul looks really good.

Reactions: MV9000
Yes. That is what he played his whole high school career.

Best of Luck,
Groz
Geo and Caleb are better options. I would even put Harper a head of Paul if he had better conditioning.

Geo and Caleb are better options. I would even put Harper a head of Paul if he had better conditioning.
Why? Mulcahy looks to have better bball iq than any of those players and is a better passer. Neither Geo or Caleb are much more athletic than Paul.

Reactions: JQRU91
That’s on Pike. We played like we don’t have a PG. Need more pick and roll or screens. We ran the same sets as last year.
Here’s a tip. Don’t make any more technical suggestions in an effort to sound like you have a clue. Bryant played zone the entire game. Pick and roll against a zone? Stop faking it. You’ve been outed.

Why? Mulcahy looks to have better bball iq than any of those players and is a better passer. Neither Geo or Caleb are much more athletic than Paul.
I think he would struggle to bring the ball up.

I don't put too much stock in these first games. I guarantee Bryant played better tonight then they did in in their first game.

We have more talent on the roster than we have in a long time. Some of those threes will start falling and free throw shooting can't get worse.

This team will look at lot different at the end of the season then they did tonight. Tons different.

The important thing is the didn't lose the game and have tape of things to work on.

Reactions: BillyC80
With all the bricks from 3 I thought Kiss would get chance. Maybe we are not adjusting well to the line being moved back over a foot.

Reactions: BillyC80
I think he would struggle to bring the ball up.
You mean against a press? You think Geo or Caleb would be better? Not saying they're bad ball handlers, they're decent but Paul has been playing PG against top high school talent since he was 14 years old. He can handle the ball.

Just be thankful Bryant's last three didn't go down, or a shooting foul wasn't called on Geo, so that its not a WTF loss and move on.

3fnir2.jpg

Here’s a tip. Don’t make any more technical suggestions in an effort to sound like you have a clue. Bryant played zone the entire game. Pick and roll against a zone? Stop faking it. You’ve been outed.
I did say or screens. But you got me.

You mean against a press? You think Geo or Caleb would be better? Not saying they're bad ball handlers, they're decent but Paul has been playing PG against top high school talent since he was 14 years old. He can handle the ball.
I hope to see it the next game. Someone has to get dribble penetration.

I was pretty disappointed tonight like everyone. But before we jump off the ledge we were up 13 or 15 with 8 minutes left. 8 truly awful minutes to end the game, but still. With 8 or 10 left in the 2nd half I thought we were going to blow them out, honestly.

thats true, but we didnt and that to me is what actually concerns me the most

no focus
no leadership
no calming influence
no defensive stops
no playmakers

RU could have won by 20-25 but they didn't and had to withstand a missed last second 3

to be up 14 vs a team like Bryant on your homecourt and then be thanking the basketball gods you hung on isnt a good thing

Reactions: kcg88
I’m not going to panick with one bad performance but I was surprised 1) how bad the D was, 2) how bad Ron Harper was after all the pre-season hype, 3) how bad the team shooting was, and 4) how well Mulcahy played in his first game.

- Looked like too much hero ball to me.
- Good kick in the ass for the team and hopefully they stop reading their press clippings / tweets / whispers in the ears
- Montez and Mulcahy were the only players who played well.
- Does Jacob Young only run head first to the basket? Can he pass the damn ball? Seemed selfish with the ball and I thought he played way too many minutes. This was a criticism about him at Texas.
- Pike has a lot of cleaning up to do.
- We greatly miss Jay Young and Eugene.
- We are in for a very challenging season if improvement does not occur with rebounding; defense and free throws

The silence from basketball super analyst Kyk1827 on this game is deafening.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT