ADVERTISEMENT

Now that NIL is here. Donate to school vs pay a player for an ad

RUskoolie

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2007
This hit me tonight reading up on all of this. I run 3 businesses in New Brunswick: real estate services where we help people buy/sell houses, general construction and rental property management.

I donate a fairly large chunk of money to the school each year. I get a tax write off, great.

Would my money be better spent putting that amount of money on advertising and paying a blue chip recruit once they step on campus? I will still get the same write off.

Wondering if that would go further, clearly this is where NIL will go. Most athletes their likeness won't be worth very much at all. I am willing to bet a lot of people around the country wondering the same...

Reactions: CoachCap36
What will stop a deep pocket alumni for one of the blue blood schools from letting it be known that any 5 star who signs with his school will get a $500K per year license agreement?

Reactions: wheezer and 17Q66
What will stop a deep pocket alumni for one of the blue blood schools from letting it be known that any 5 star who signs with his school will get a $500K per year license agreement?

The benefit of this is it brings to the light what is already done under the table.

This hit me tonight reading up on all of this. I run 3 businesses in New Brunswick: real estate services where we help people buy/sell houses, general construction and rental property management.

I donate a fairly large chunk of money to the school each year. I get a tax write off, great.

Would my money be better spent putting that amount of money on advertising and paying a blue chip recruit once they step on campus? I will still get the same write off.

Wondering if that would go further, clearly this is where NIL will go. Most athletes their likeness won't be worth very much at all. I am willing to bet a lot of people around the country wondering the same...

By Donating to the school, you get priority points. 😀. That is the only difference.

Fans should focus and crowdsource funding specific recruiting targets and positions of need

Does anyone else forsee these possible problems or issues
1) Athletes will be more concerned about getting paid than playing their sport
2) Athletes will be less concerned about the student aspect of things which to ne has done a complete 180 from the lack of student from the 80's
3) pushback from the standard student/ family who in the case of RU their tuitions already include fees to subsidize the athletics dept.....athletes already going to school for free and have every single perk you can possibly want and now profiting as well kind of a slap in the face to the everyday student.
4) landing a recruit will come down to who can pay the kid the most not that that's not the case today but now that it's in the forefront the stakes will be much higher
5) Brings donors much closer to the programs which will. Corrupt things even more

Just thinking all angles here

Last edited:
My interest in college athletics has taken a big hit. Yes I will still follow RU but I don't see how we compete (absent our own Phil Knight or T. Boone Pickens) under this framework without some real system wide limitations on the earnings potential of any given player, sport or school. I realize my view, which is admittedly old school, runs counter to the intent of NIL and the SCOTUS ruling, but I don't see how this does not widen the gap between the haves and the have not. And I am talking only about the top 50-75 athletic programs. The OP raises a legitimate question and unfortunately this is going to require more fundraising in a different form rather than a reallocation.

This totally changes the recruiting game and marginalizes even more the educational component of the decision making process. Maybe it has always been a charade but this just seals its. Good recruiters who did it the right way will be marginalized unless they have a fat wallet in their back pocket. I am ready for a move to de-emphasize college athletics and let the NFL, NBA and other professional leagues fully underwrite developmental leagues.

I can probably donate the minimum to stay in Scarlet and the rest can go to NJ recruits.
What happens when a NJ recruit takes your money after a verbal to Rutgers than commits somewhere else? He will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Reactions: Zimm80
Since my donations go to women’s crew, I suspect very few members of the team will make much off their name and likeness

Reactions: 17Q66

Are your company advertising costs a write off Skoolie?
What are you paying the kid for?
You run 3 businesses, does that mean you own them with no partners?
What if the kid can’t get on the field, he’s going to have an iron clad contract that demands you pay him anyway?

Last edited:
NIL success is a profit making, market and consumer driven business.
Always will be in the long run.

Last edited:
Perhaps this is a good opportunity for this message board community . We can organize and start an LLC. Everyone puts some money in (I know we have some rich people here ), and we buy some recruits , pay the good players . Let’s put our money where our mouths are !!

A very good point made above is that with all of the demands of major college sports, plus academic responsibilities, will the athletes be distracted by their new "businesses". Being paid to make appearances and do autograph signing sessions takes away some of their time. How much? That remains to be seen but would hate to have some players focus on short term gains and be distracted from their sport and academics.

A very good point made above is that with all of the demands of major college sports, plus academic responsibilities, will the athletes be distracted by their new "businesses". Being paid to make appearances and do autograph signing sessions takes away some of their time. How much? That remains to be seen but would hate to have some players focus on short term gains and be distracted from their sport and academics.
Lol Academics!!

Does anyone else forsee these possible problems or issues
1) Athletes will be more concerned about getting paid than playing their sport
2) Athletes will be less concerned about the student aspect of things which to ne has done a complete 360 from the lack of student from the 80's
3) pushback from the standard student/ family who in the case of RU their tuitions already include fees to subsidize the athletics dept.....athletes already going to school for free and have every single perk you can possibly want and now profiting as well kind of a slap in the face to the everyday student.
4) landing a recruit will come down to who can pay the kid the most not that that's not the case today but now that it's in the forefront the stakes will be much higher
5) Brings donors much closer to the programs which will. Corrupt things even more

Just thinking all angles here
1). College is temporary as one prepares for a career. If the kid has NFL dreams where the real and long term money will be made, they'll be smart enough to focus on playing their sport and most kids will. If not, they will not last long at their chosen school. What they do during their free time is their choice - extra time preparing for classes, additional athletic prep., running a business, partying.

4) Key words are "not that that's not the case today". Pay for play is against NCAA violations prior to NIL and in the most recent NIL policy. Enforcement is another topic. Schools and donors who violate NCAA regulations will continue to do so until the NCAA or another governing body gets serious about pursuing and enforcing the regulations. Nothing has changed in this regard. Prior to the NIL, the rich are so ridiculously rich it can't get any worse but that's an opinion shared by some.

5.) You're under-estimating at how corrupt college sports is prior to this NIL policy.

I'm betting the kid that's good enough to be a walk-on at Alabama or earn a scholarship and see the field at a lower ranked P5 or G5 school, will chose to sign with a school where he or she can play their sport (at the lower ranked school). Getting on the field and performing at a high level will correlate with building a brand for an NIL opportunity and we already know that if a kid wants to play in a professional league after college, as a career, playing/performing at the college level correlates very strongly with having a long term career in the NFL (or other sport's professional league).

Reactions: RUTRINI
Are your company advertising costs a write off Skoolie?
What are you paying the kid for?
You run 3 businesses, does that mean you own them with no partners?
What if the kid can’t get on the field, he’s going to have an iron clad contract that demands you pay him anyway?

And if you think you're going to be able to deduct the whole thing as a business expense (we're talking the 500k deep pocket example) the IRS may have something to say about that on a "reasonable compensation" basis.

I stopped donating to Rutgers when I figured out the Scarlet Knights Wrestling Club had more of an effect on recruiting. It goes directly to helping fund Resident Athletes which in turn is exactly what recruits are looking for in workout partners.

Now I'm thinking maybe I'm better off just sponsoring a wrestler through my business. Get a couple of us small businesses together with the advertisement write off and I just might be a part of purchasing a National Champ. With the transfer portal everyone's fair game.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUskoolie
I stopped donating to Rutgers when I figured out the Scarlet Knights Wrestling Club had more of an effect on recruiting. It goes directly to helping fund Resident Athletes which in turn is exactly what recruits are looking for in workout partners.

Now I'm thinking maybe I'm better off just sponsoring a wrestler through my business. Get a couple of us small businesses together with the advertisement write off and I just might be a part of purchasing a National Champ. With the transfer portal everyone's fair game.
When are you going to sponsor him and offer him money, when he’s a 17 year old in high school preparing to make his commitment?

When are you going to sponsor him and offer him money, when he’s a 17 year old in high school preparing to make his commitment?
Transfer portal when he's a proven commodity. Let the bidding wars begin. The NCAA is just one big Free Agent market. You'll get more bang for your buck in wrestling. Bring two National Champions to Rutgers with our current squad and we're bringing home a trophy.

Reactions: RUskoolie
Do both. The advertising dollars will more than pay for themselves.

So I'm wondering if a member here called into Mark Packers show on Sirius last night. I tuned in and the call had already started so I didn't get the name of the person. They were discussing this topic and how it might help a school like RU. The caller mentioned all the alum CEO's RU has... it had to be a Rutgers guy.

The following caller brought up some very valid points regarding taxation they clearly have not addressed yet. Namely how NFL players pay a tax in every state they play a game in including road games. I would assume that would apply to student athletes as well. Also how there will be tax implications on kids that are given "stuff" rather than cash. It was a very interesting conversation. I really like that show. Packer does a great job.

So I'm wondering if a member here called into Mark Packers show on Sirius last night. I tuned in and the call had already started so I didn't get the name of the person. They were discussing this topic and how it might help a school like RU. The caller mentioned all the alum CEO's RU has... it had to be a Rutgers guy.

The following caller brought up some very valid points regarding taxation they clearly have not addressed yet. Namely how NFL players pay a tax in every state they play a game in including road games. I would assume that would apply to student athletes as well. Also how there will be tax implications on kids that are given "stuff" rather than cash. It was a very interesting conversation. I really like that show. Packer does a great job.

Professional athletes generage income in every state they play in.

Since college athletes are not getting paid by the University to play a road game, I don't think the same taxation rules will apply here.

They wouldn't pay tax based on where the games are played, as the compensation isn't directly from the games. However, if a RU player makes an appearance in NY or Pa. it may come into play.

Stop donating all together. This isn't amateur sports anymore. Do you donate to the Yankees, Giants, Devils?

Rutgers Athletics isn't paying players so your analogy makes zero sense.

An academic scholarship student can make money off their YT page.
So nobody should donate at all to any Rutgers program?

• Love
Reactions: redking
I don’t know if there has been any shred of amateur status left at the Olympics, but this is the end of that too. With the possible exception of team handball lol ( which is actually fun to watch)

Doesn't matter who pays them. The are now proffesionals.

Got it - so changing the argument since the prior one was worthless.

So is every student at Rutgers who has a part time job or monetizes their social media is a “Professional”?

Nobody should donate to Rutgers to benefit the Chemistry department because those academic scholarship students are “professionals”?

Just trying to understand why “athletes” are held to different standard?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT