ADVERTISEMENT

Now that NIL is here. Donate to school vs pay a player for an ad

Got it - so changing the argument since the prior one was worthless.

So is every student at Rutgers who has a part time job or monetizes their social media is a “Professional”?

Nobody should donate to Rutgers to benefit the Chemistry department because those academic scholarship students are “professionals”?

Just trying to understand why “athletes” are held to different standard?
I'm not changing anything! WTF are you talking about. My first post said they weren't amateurs any more. Which means they are professional.
We are talking about sports players getting paid. What does that have to do with the Chemistry Dept?? The question was should you donate to Rutgers Athletic or directly to the Athlete to get them to come to Rutgers. Read the OP's first post. I have no idea what kind of shit you are trying to argue about but it has nothing to do with NIL. Your BS is way off base.

This is all so depressing. I get my kids to watch college sports and tell them how great it is that these guys/gals play and practice as hard as the pros and on top of that they are full time students yada yada. I try to make myself think it's not as bad as people make it out to be. However it is that bad and will never return to true amateurism. Ugh

Reactions: IMARUFAN
What is the going rate for a 4-star QB these days anyway?
We'll find out by next year. It's going to become the #1 recruiting tool. Look how much our last QB signed endorsements for that could be you. We simply don't have the ammunition to compete. And by ammunition I mean multimillionaires with money to burn. Participation and just cashing check might be enough for Rutgers once again.

I stopped donating to Rutgers when I figured out the Scarlet Knights Wrestling Club had more of an effect on recruiting. It goes directly to helping fund Resident Athletes which in turn is exactly what recruits are looking for in workout partners.

Now I'm thinking maybe I'm better off just sponsoring a wrestler through my business. Get a couple of us small businesses together with the advertisement write off and I just might be a part of purchasing a National Champ. With the transfer portal everyone's fair game.

This is where I am at. Why should I give money to some general fund? I can pay $7500 to ensure we land an AA in wrestling or a grad transfer in football. I write it off if I donate it to RU or pay for advertising, there is no difference. Or it's known that I give athletes advertising spots in my business if they become big time, the opportunities are endless.

Master P's kid just signed a $2 ,mil deal in coming freshman. Tell me again how these athletes should also get a scholarship???? Sure does not seem to me playing college ball and getting an education will be a priority. Looks like I will transition to HS ball. This will be a complete shit show of a joke

What happens when a NJ recruit takes your money after a verbal to Rutgers than commits somewhere else? He will be laughing all the way to the bank.
If he has a financial agreement and a signed contract then he would have to give said money back , but what do I know.

The simple answer is:

If you're looking to purchase an AD, HC, or Ass't Coaches, renovate a stadium, fieldhouse, etc. donate to the school; and
If you're looking to purchase a 4/5-star recruit donate to the recruit's biz while he's in HS.*

* Yes, this is going to run rampant at the HS level very soon. Nothing personal; it's just business.

A very good point made above is that with all of the demands of major college sports, plus academic responsibilities, will the athletes be distracted by their new "businesses". Being paid to make appearances and do autograph signing sessions takes away some of their time. How much? That remains to be seen but would hate to have some players focus on short term gains and be distracted from their sport and academics.
Seems to distracted a person on the hoopa team during ncaa's

A very good point made above is that with all of the demands of major college sports, plus academic responsibilities, will the athletes be distracted by their new "businesses". Being paid to make appearances and do autograph signing sessions takes away some of their time. How much? That remains to be seen but would hate to have some players focus on short term gains and be distracted from their sport and academics.

This is an excellent point - against college sports all together.
Sounds a lot like the Rutgers 1000.

"Rutgers is a academic institution. College sports distracts from that mission."

Funny how "college sports for no money" is an okay distraction but "generating money" is a step too far.

This is all so depressing. I get my kids to watch college sports and tell them how great it is that these guys/gals play and practice as hard as the pros and on top of that they are full time students yada yada. I try to make myself think it's not as bad as people make it out to be. However it is that bad and will never return to true amateurism. Ugh

How does an athlete tweeting about a business or selling a t-shirt ruin that experience at all for your kids?
I don't understand.

Are they not still practicing and playing and full-time students?

Reactions: Knight Shift
How does an athlete tweeting about a business or selling a t-shirt ruin that experience at all for your kids?
I don't understand.

No they are running a business. No longer playing for the love of the game.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
No they are running a business. No longer playing for the love of the game.

So your enjoyment is only derived from watching athletes "playing for the love of the game"?

A player can't love playing and also run a business?
I know plenty of people who love running but also have a running related business.

Are all college athletes currently "playing for the love of the game"? Or are some playong to make it professionally and make money.
See Harper, Baker declaring for the draft early.

I can guarantee some HS athletes are just playing to get a college scholarship.

I don't understand.

99.9% of college athletes will have no business to tweet about, and they’ll soon learn that it costs more to manufacture and market a tee shirt than they can sell it for.
Eventually market/consumer demand and profit will be the bottom line.

Reactions: NickRU714
So your enjoyment is only derived from watching athletes "playing for the love of the game"?

A player can't love playing and also run a business?
I know plenty of people who love running but also have a running related business.

Are all college athletes currently "playing for the love of the game"? Or are some playong to make it professionally and make money.
See Harper, Baker declaring for the draft early.

I can guarantee some HS athletes are just playing to get a college scholarship.
So you are saying there is no difference for all these players that will get $ vs those that wont? None at all??

So you are saying there is no difference for all these players that will get $ vs those that wont? None at all??

Difference in terms of what?
Committment to the team?

An easy argument could be made that players with NIL revenues will be more committed.

"If my play suffers and I get benched, I'll lose out on potential cash and sponsorship opportunities."

"If I become a superstar by Year 2 or 3, I could make NIL money! Need to outwork my teammates."

It gives an alternate goal than just "make it pro" which isn't an option for everyone.

"If my play suffers and I get benched, I'll lose out on potential cash and sponsorship opportunities."
So you admit they will no longer play for the good of team but to keep the cash flow coming in. Glad we finally agree on something!

Neither will 99% of football and basketball players.
I can see the offering of big endorsements to 4 and 5 star recruits, if they sign on

first the signing, the deal announced shortly thereafter

Expect Michigan OSU and PU to do so

I hope you don't watch any professional sports if that's your take.
I do watch pro sports. And love to. I know the players motives going in. I no longer watch the Olympics because it is no longer about the countries but about the money. It is also one of the most corrupt organizations out there.

This is a long overdue ruling. College athletes should not be restricted in their side hustle.

The only people arguing against this move are boomers (who miss the good old days and exploitative systems that are conveniently more beneficial to them or the foundation of their current status) or anyone that profits from the NCAA cartel.

Kudos to RU for being ahead of this. Like everything else in college sports, Schiano and Crew will leverage and use this to their recruiting advantage.

Master P's kid just signed a $2 ,mil deal in coming freshman. Tell me again how these athletes should also get a scholarship???? Sure does not seem to me playing college ball and getting an education will be a priority. Looks like I will transition to HS ball. This will be a complete shit show of a joke
Maybe the NCAA can institute some kind of rule like a dollar of scholarship value is given back for each 10 dollars earned. That money is then pooled and distributed among the rest of the team that does not get any money. The few who get the big money wouldn't get anything if there wasn't a team of players, so this spreads it around a little, almost like a minimum salary in professional sports.

I do watch pro sports. And love to. I know the players motives going in. I no longer watch the Olympics because it is no longer about the countries but about the money. It is also one of the most corrupt organizations out there.

There will clearly be large scale financial transactions happening in the NIL space. How will college fans feel about supporting what were amateur sports when some FB and BB players are being paid huge $$$ and the rest of the team are basically still amateurs?

What will the NIL of Arch Manning be worth the day he signs with a school?

Maybe the NCAA can institute some kind of rule like a dollar of scholarship value is given back for each 10 dollars earned. That money is then pooled and distributed among the rest of the team that does not get any money. The few who get the big money wouldn't get anything if there wasn't a team of players, so this spreads it around a little, almost like a minimum salary in professional sports.
Sounds like Hercy Miller is giving back, but in a different way.

How much is/was the stipend?

Are they still getting that too on top of the scholarship and the NIL opportunities?

There will clearly be large scale financial transactions happening in the NIL space. How will college fans feel about supporting what were amateur sports when some FB and BB players are being paid huge $$$ and the rest of the team are basically still amateurs?

What will the NIL of Arch Manning be worth the day he signs with a school?
You would have to believe that in some cases there will be a big split in locker rooms between the haves and the have not. People that think that those making money aren't going act differently are crazy. A big part of their day will be promoting their personal brand. Something they are not obligated to do before this.

You don't like college students partaking in capitalism?

Not if it affects the integrity and enjoyment of watching the games.

That’s what makes it different from the chem major getting paid to work in the labs. Nobody is against that.

That’s what makes it different from the chem major getting paid to work in the labs. Nobody is against that.
Unless they screw up and lets a virus out or something. LOL

Reactions: Knightmoves

Effects enjoyment of watching the game for who? You? So.
Doesn't effect mine.

Pro-style offenses negatively effect my enjoyment of the game.
Outlaw running plays.

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT