ADVERTISEMENT

NW offense sets vs RU

wheezer

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 3, 2001
I am certainly not an X's and O's basketball fan, but I could not help notice the difference
in approach when both teams have the ball in a set offense.

NW would often whip the ball around the perimeter looking to get a man free for an outside shot...they also incorporated a weave that I guess was designed to try to get player mismatches due to switching off.....but this too was done at a rapid pace

RU on the other hand often has to settle for one of our players trying to break down a defensive player, this after passing it much more sluggishly, and at a turnover risk, at that.....so many times a pass across the court is thrown high, where it almost looks like the receiving player will not be able to haul it in....he does, but any advantage that would have been gained, is lost, because it takes time to
jump to catch the ball, and continue the passing

I do not know if this is because we just are not capable of a rapid perimeter pass game, or coach prefers this style of offense....I suspect the former.

I am certainly not an X's and O's basketball fan, but I could not help notice the difference
in approach when both teams have the ball in a set offense.

NW would often whip the ball around the perimeter looking to get a man free for an outside shot...they also incorporated a weave that I guess was designed to try to get player mismatches due to switching off.....but this too was done at a rapid pace

RU on the other hand often has to settle for one of our players trying to break down a defensive player, this after passing it much more sluggishly, and at a turnover risk, at that.....so many times a pass across the court is thrown high, where it almost looks like the receiving player will not be able to haul it in....he does, but any advantage that would have been gained, is lost, because it takes time to
jump to catch the ball, and continue the passing

I do not know if this is because we just are not capable of a rapid perimeter pass game, or coach prefers this style of offense....I suspect the former.
But there was a great offensive innovation in this game. A number of times they went to the flat four offense with Sanders high. I had been hoping that they would go to this against Indiana, but they did not. When the other team has quick post players, and we try to screen up top, they just hedge and recover and all we get from the screen is a lot of congestion at the point of attack, especially since our bigs don’t roll so well. The spacing in this game was so much better and gave Corey a chance to break down his man without finding himself face-to-face with a big every time he separated himself from the guy guarding him. The only time I criticized the staff this year in a post was when I thought they were too stubborn to change the game plan against Indiana. It was different last night.

Reactions: goru7 and Antnee79
We don’t have a set tempo. Instead we try to run a tempo that upsets the other team. Sometimes pushing the pace when they are tired or we have momentum, sometimes slowing it down if we see one of their guys is in trouble, we want to isolate a match up to burn them (Ie, Macintosh the second half, Corey had his way with him, and once he was benched, later it was Corey on Lindsey because Lindsey was gassed. See that last shot where he cheated on Corey’s crossover that never came, leaving Corey wide open.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT