ADVERTISEMENT

NYT writer takes shots at our program

I realize this is a sports board, and that was a sports article, but Rutgers ACADEMICS gave the school a big leg up in B1G considerations.
How do you quantify the 'superiority' of Rutgers academics over the University of Connecticut's?

Let them get their cheap shots in now. Pat Hobbs' football and pending basketball hires haven't even coached a single game yet. I'm 100% confident Coach Ash will quickly undo the perception damage done by KF last year and eventually build this program to a level even stronger than Greg left it. Win in football and be somewhat respectable in hoops (Bannon/Waters level competitiveness is good enough for the short term) and these articles will disappear. Again, these hack writers are getting their jollies now while we are still low hanging fruit. All it will take is another 2006 type football season where we are nationally relevant late into the season and Jim Delaney will never be questioned for his decision to add Rutgers ever again. By the way, our one nationally relevant football season (while playing in obscurity in the Big Least) is one more than UConn has to it's credit and it's that potential in football and being in the NYC media market that got us into the Big Ten. Sorry NYT but no one was impressed with (if even aware of)an unranked UConn teams backdoor entry into the Fiesta Bowl where they got absolutely embarassed. Win all you'd like in basketball...it's football that drives the bus. I'm sure the Big East would welcome you back with open arms.

Have to be honest when you look at the past. What has been consistently accomplished. Sometimes the truth is barren and cold. Hard work should pay off. Mocking others cements you in the abyss of Whitney also rans

The funny thing is that the writer assumes the Big Ten choosing Rutgers was some kind of boneheaded mistake rather than asking why the business saavy Big Ten would think Rutgers is a better partner than UCONN.. But that would have required WORK and THOUGHT to write.
It is particularly funny because allegedly Nocera is a business journalist. I understand why guys that are confirmed jock sniffers can't figure out why RU was asked to the big dance. But you'd think a business writer for a major paper could discern Delany's market and revenue driven decision after the fact.

Last edited:
It is particularly funny because allegedly Nocera is a business journalist. I understand why guys that are confirmed joke snifffers can't figure out why RU was asked to the big dance. But you'd think a business writer for a major paper could discern Delany's market and revenue driven decision after the fact.
yeah especially since UConn was never even on the B1G radar nor even contiginous before we were accepted not to mention had only played major football 6 years previous to the ''10'' research firms finding that only Texas and ND added more..most of their fans understand but many are downright delusional....even RE left for UMd showing what perception outside Conn is towards "little old UConn".

Simple: Association of American Universities (AAU)
New Jersey has two schools on the list including Rutgers. The Nutmeg state has one. And it ain't UConn.
AAU MEMBERSHIP: PUBLIC AND PRIVATE
That's a reasonably solid answer, particularly from a standpoint of simplicity and brevity. Nocera tries to downplay the AAU in the piece, which is odd because a) he went to Boston University and b) B.U. is an AAU school. AND I was totally astonished to discover that B.U. is in the AAU.

That's a reasonably solid answer, particularly from a standpoint of simplicity and brevity. Nocera tries to downplay the AAU in the piece, which is odd because a) he went to Boston University and b) B.U. is an AAU school. AND I was totally astonished to discover that B.U. is in the AAU.

BU is pretty good. They have a very strong work-study program resulting in real-world trained graduates who find it easy to get jobs.. as they have been doing the work. That is a solid plan to growing your base of well paid graduates.

Reactions: SanFranRutgers
BU is pretty good. They have a very strong work-study program resulting in real-world trained graduates who find it easy to get jobs.. as they have been doing the work. That is a solid plan to growing your base of well paid graduates.
Ian Faith: The Boston gig has been cancelled...
David St. Hubbins: What?
Ian Faith: Yeah. I wouldn't worry about it though, it's not a big college town.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT