ADVERTISEMENT

O.T.-Sports Authority files for bankruptcy

RUhasarrived

All American
May 7, 2007
Now nobody can say store closings are due to people shopping online.Generally,people buy sporting equipment and paraphernalia in person.Michael Savage's Trickle Up Poverty is beginning.

Never liked their selection.

And while I think that "buying experience" is overrated, whenever I went there it felt like I stepped inside a Lowe's hardware store.

Compare with Dick's. Just night and day.

Online shopping, especially Amazon Prime, has crushed many retailers.

Now nobody can say store closings are due to people shopping online.Generally,people buy sporting equipment and paraphernalia in person.Michael Savage's Trickle Up Poverty is beginning.
For shoes I get this.

But for anything else, not so much.

As some others have said in the thread already:

Dick's is just a better shopping experience
Amazon Prime saves me tons

Last edited:
Reactions: drewbagel423
Effingers in Bound Brook still open?

My old man used to buy my stuff there in 80s. I went for a football 10yrs ago before I move to Boston. The place was still awesome. Is there a better smell than new sports equipment?

So the store that just opened in Flemington 6 months ago is going to close? Classic.

Knew something was up when shop rite was printing out 20% register tape coupons a few weeks ago.

Fairway, the supermarket on route 46, is also on its way to bankruptcy. Hate it when so many businesses going out of business.

Still there as a couple months ago
Was at Effingers yesterday, great store. Personally I prefer to give my business to a locally owned business like them rather than a chain, even though it is often more expensive. As far as Sports Authority, at least in Piscataway, I never felt they had the inventory or were managed as well as Effingers or Dicks. Effingers still does a lot of high school team sales as well as general sales.

Reactions: MozRU and mcbabz
If this is an endorsement of the store, I went into one just once eyeballed prices and though they were over priced never went into another store. Economics 101

Was at Effingers yesterday, great store. Personally I prefer to give my business to a locally owned business like them rather than a chain, even though it is often more expensive. As far as Sports Authority, at least in Piscataway, I never felt they had the inventory or were managed as well as Effingers or Dicks. Effingers still does a lot of high school team sales as well as general sales.

agreed, use to get all my umpiring gear there for baseball, but there is a small locally owned sports shop near me now out in Whitehouse Station I've been going to for the past year.

Wait, wait, I thought that Savage's collection of trickle up conspiracy theories was supposed to have begun back in 2010. By now, Obama was supposed to have abolished the private ownership of property. This must just be part of some a joint Planned Parenthood/UN/illuminati plan to convert closed Sports Authority stores into ACORN-operated commie reeducation camps intended to convert high school lacrosse players into gay, Islamic gun control advocates.
It definitely has nothing to do with the interweb. [sick]

Dicks pure and simple. From prices to shopping experience it's not even close.

Reactions: Underdogs88

My old man used to buy my stuff there in 80s. I went for a football 10yrs ago before I move to Boston. The place was still awesome. Is there a better smell than new sports equipment?
Yes and still going strong. I stop in there from time to time, especially since the best Italian restaurant in central NJ is right across the street - Girasole. My family goes there monthly!

Reactions: MozRU
For shoes I get this.

But for anything else, not so much.

As some others have said in the read already:

Dick's is just a better shopping experience
Amazon Prime saves me tons

My thoughts exactly. I can't see why buying most sports equipment would be any different than anything else - easier and probably cheaper online. Even footwear, save for a very select group of fit-required items like ski boots, can be bought easily online.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I like Sports Authority. I don't have Dick's around, and Sports Authority is good for finding certain things at low prices.

Sports Authority was acquired by a private equity firm in a leveraged buyout in 2006. It is 2016, 10 year hold is the usual MO for PE firms (sometimes 5 or 7). Sports Authority's bankruptcy isn't necessarily a reflection of the economy, it is a reflection of how private equity works.

Sports Authority was great when it first came out...was it late 80s/early 90s but thing is they never evolved, the stores stayed exactly the same and then came Dicks which was a newer, streamlined, prettier version and Sports Authority just failed to compete. The difference between the cleanliness is night and day. Every Sports Authority Ive been in just seem dirty and little attention to detail. Just like KMart and Sears which got overwhelmed by Walmart and Kohls, you have to compete with your competition or you die.

Reactions: Block R
Sports Authority was acquired by a private equity firm in a leveraged buyout in 2006. It is 2016, 10 year hold is the usual MO for PE firms (sometimes 5 or 7). Sports Authority's bankruptcy isn't necessarily a reflection of the economy, it is a reflection of how private equity works.
Usually a takeover like that always seems to trend towards bankruptcy. I remember when Fortunoff was bought out from the family in 2004 - the equity partnership that took it over didn't have the faintest clue as to what made the store so damn popular. By 2009 they were done.
Sports Authority was great when it first came out...was it late 80s/early 90s but thing is they never evolved, the stores stayed exactly the same and then came Dicks which was a newer, streamlined, prettier version and Sports Authority just failed to compete. The difference between the cleanliness is night and day. Every Sports Authority Ive been in just seem dirty and little attention to detail. Just like KMart and Sears which got overwhelmed by Walmart and Kohls, you have to compete with your competition or you die.
I remember when Sports Authority started showing up - they had a great selection of gear and balls for the various sports. In recent times when I've gone in, their selection has been fair to putrid. So no surprise they're tanking.
Fairway, the supermarket on route 46, is also on its way to bankruptcy. Hate it when so many businesses going out of business.
Oh, damn, that's become one of our favorite places to shop. Would hate to see that close. You're talking about the one in Woodland Park, right? Where the Pathmark used to be?

I have spent a shit load of money on my daughters softball equipment and I got 99% online including cleats.

It was the only store that sold Lax equipment in the '70's.

I see Efinger is only 8 miles from my office - I think I'll swing by there one of these days from work.

Usually a takeover like that always seems to trend towards bankruptcy. I remember when Fortunoff was bought out from the family in 2004 - the equity partnership that took it over didn't have the faintest clue as to what made the store so damn popular. By 2009 they were done.
I remember when Sports Authority started showing up - they had a great selection of gear and balls for the various sports. In recent times when I've gone in, their selection has been fair to putrid. So no surprise they're tanking.

Oh, damn, that's become one of our favorite places to shop. Would hate to see that close. You're talking about the one in Woodland Park, right? Where the Pathmark used to be?
Yes

for anyone with Sports Authority gift cards I would suggest you use them right away. As part of a bankruptcy they can choose to not accept gift cards since they are a liability on the balance sheet.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Can't beat the softball and baseball glove selection at Effingers.

Wait, wait, I thought that Savage's collection of trickle up conspiracy theories was supposed to have begun back in 2010. By now, Obama was supposed to have abolished the private ownership of property. This must just be part of some a joint Planned Parenthood/UN/illuminati plan to convert closed Sports Authority stores into ACORN-operated commie reeducation camps intended to convert high school lacrosse players into gay, Islamic gun control advocates.
It definitely has nothing to do with the interweb. [sick]
Why do people give loons like Michael Savage the time of day and then call a guy like Bernie Sanders "crazy"?

People often use storefronts to try out equipment while looking them up on their phones to make the actual purchase online. Smartphones have allowed customers to comparison shop while standing in the store... Amazon Prime lets you have the same item in two days (often the next day), without paying for shipping, at a much lower cost. Almost any free barcode scanner app lets you search the internet for the same item at lower cost.

Or a reflection that that the financing of the 2006 acquisition was done at a junk bond interest rate and sales haven't grown enough to cover debt service. It CAN be a reflection of lack of growth in the economy.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
It's where I bought my tennis rackets and had them strung throughout high school. I think that was the only time I ever went there.

Or a reflection that that the financing of the 2006 acquisition was done at a junk bond interest rate and sales haven't grown enough to cover debt service. It CAN be a reflection of lack of growth in the economy.
Maybe if internet sales, especially with Amazon, weren't doing so well this could be the case. However, it is not the case and the idea that Sports Authority's bankruptcy is related to lack of growth in the economy is absurd. It is more like poor underwriting assumptions, poor management (as expressed throughout this thread) or the fact that the deal makers get paid and will make out fine regardless of the outcome of jobs being lost.

The problem with Sports Authority is that it is stuck in the middle. It is competing with Walmart at the low end, and Sports Authority can't match Walmart's prices. It is competing with places like Effinger at the high-end, and Sports Authority can't afford to have knowledgeable staff and local expertise like Effinger. As as sports specialty store, Sports Authority offers a poorer shopping experience than Dicks, and it can't match the limitless selection of the internet.

Everytime someone walks into a Sports Authority store, they know that another store (or internet) will be better in some regard. There is nothing that Sports Authority is best at.

Reactions: Block R and redking
Has nothing to do with economic policy and everything to do with the move to online shopping.

Some brick and mortar stores are doing well, but they are the ones that have evolved. If you go into say, Sears, you will understand why it's doing so poorly. It looks like the 90s was hit was a tornado. This versus say, Target or Wal-Mart.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT