ADVERTISEMENT

The "I was soaked " excuse

slyker

Senior
Feb 2, 2002
I can understand how a casual fan might come to a game unprepared and get "soaked" at a game like yesterday, but I simply cannot understand how long time season ticket holders can be so unprepared as to say "they were soaked" or didnt want to sit through this rain. As a football fan you know there is bound to be a bad weather game throughout a season.. dont people plan for this and buy good quality gear to handle weather like this? And if not.. why not ? Without exaggeration, I sat for the full 4 quarters out in the rain yesterday and every stitch of my clothing was bone dry under my rain gear. The only thing that was soaked was the outer surface of my clothes. For prolonged rain you need gore-tex type quality gear. Its as simple as that. Most other lesser quality "waterproof" fabrics will protect for a short while but eventually saturate and let water through, and a simple 'water resistant" or cheaper type waterproof fabric is even worse. A rain coat that will protect you going from your car to the store in the parking lot aint gonna do it for a 4 hour rainfall. You pay thousands for season tickets every year and supposedly (if an RU graduate) have the ability to figure things like this out and I would assume have the ability to pay a few hundred bucks and buy some good gear to protect you that will last for years worth of games. And while you are at it... why don't you buy said garments in red! What a novel concept! I get so disappointed when I see the team looking around the stands at the end of the 4Q in a big comeback wondering why everyone has fled. Maddening. I guess they figured they were all soaked !

I can understand how a casual fan might come to a game unprepared and get "soaked" at a game like yesterday, but I simply cannot understand how long time season ticket holders can be so unprepared as to say "they were soaked" or didnt want to sit through this rain. As a football fan you know there is bound to be a bad weather game throughout a season.. dont people plan for this and buy good quality gear to handle weather like this? And if not.. why not ? Without exaggeration, I sat for the full 4 quarters out in the rain yesterday and every stitch of my clothing was bone dry under my rain gear. The only thing that was soaked was the outer surface of my clothes. For prolonged rain you need gore-tex type quality gear. Its as simple as that. Most other lesser quality "waterproof" fabrics will protect for a short while but eventually saturate and let water through, and a simple 'water resistant" or cheaper type waterproof fabric is even worse. A rain coat that will protect you going from your car to the store in the parking lot aint gonna do it for a 4 hour rainfall. You pay thousands for season tickets every year and supposedly (if an RU graduate) have the ability to figure things like this out and I would assume have the ability to pay a few hundred bucks and buy some good gear to protect you that will last for years worth of games. And while you are at it... why don't you buy said garments in red! What a novel concept! I get so disappointed when I see the team looking around the stands at the end of the 4Q in a big comeback wondering why everyone has fled. Maddening. I guess they figured they were all soaked !

This is great advice for someone who only has to concentrate on themselve for any given game. Unfortunately back in the real world and especially on Homecoming many of us go to games with a mix of people, old and young including hardcore and casual fandom. When you're spouse and friends spouses, kids and friends are at the game with you - many as casual fans and yet still there despite a miserable day.....due to strong relationships and friendships...... and they are soaked and cold........you have to make a decision as to what is most important.

Agree completely!! I stayed the entire game but will admit I watched majority of 4th quarter under the overhang with a ton of fans...great experience actually as we were having a blast
You are SPOT ON for how sad it is that people don't own red rain gear or at least clear.

Man I used to wear my winter boots ( my feet were soaked anyways from sweat.) Had great breathable rain wear I sold my customer. Get away from the cheap ass ponchos they dont keep anything dry. Spend $75 and get pants and jacket with a hood you'll be good to go

Tip: Leave hood up water goes down you back otherwise. Never left early once due to weather.

You sit down with poncho. PANTS WET

Reactions: hoquat63
I can understand how a casual fan might come to a game unprepared and get "soaked" at a game like yesterday, but I simply cannot understand how long time season ticket holders can be so unprepared as to say "they were soaked" or didnt want to sit through this rain. As a football fan you know there is bound to be a bad weather game throughout a season.. dont people plan for this and buy good quality gear to handle weather like this? And if not.. why not ? Without exaggeration, I sat for the full 4 quarters out in the rain yesterday and every stitch of my clothing was bone dry under my rain gear. The only thing that was soaked was the outer surface of my clothes. For prolonged rain you need gore-tex type quality gear. It’s as simple as that. Most other lesser quality "waterproof" fabrics will protect for a short while but eventually saturate and let water through, and a simple 'water resistant" or cheaper type waterproof fabric is even worse. A rain coat that will protect you going from your car to the store in the parking lot aint gonna do it for a 4 hour rainfall. You pay thousands for season tickets every year and supposedly (if an RU graduate) have the ability to figure things like this out and I would assume have the ability to pay a few hundred bucks and buy some good gear to protect you that will last for years worth of games. And while you are at it... why don't you buy said garments in red! What a novel concept! I get so disappointed when I see the team looking around the stands at the end of the 4Q in a big comeback wondering why everyone has fled. Maddening. I guess they figured they were all soaked !
The game was maybe 1/4 full at its fullest and you are giving people guff for leaving when we were playing a horrible brand of football for 3 quarters? I am a long time season ticket holder for both FB and men’s BB - I don’t blame people who left (and I stayed the whole game). In the words of Greg - were aren’t there yet and until we are just be happy with the people who actually showed up at all. I am very happy we won and glad I saw it, but I’m not giving anyone s**t for not staying, that’s just trying to pay yourself on the back. Keep winning and people will come(and stay).

The game was maybe 1/4 full at its fullest and you are giving people guff for leaving when we were playing a horrible brand of football for 3 quarters? I am a long time season ticket holder for both FB and men’s BB - I don’t blame people who left (and I stayed the whole game). In the words of Greg - were aren’t there yet and until we are just be happy with the people who actually showed up at all. I am very happy we won and glad I saw it, but I’m not giving anyone s**t for not staying, that’s just trying to pay yourself on the back. Keep winning and people will come(and stay).
This x1000. And yet another thread on this when there are a couple of others already going.

I was in a bar. Totally dry.
And you missed the opportunity to be totally dry in the stadium with proper gear witnessing the great comeback in person. WAs definitely one of the top ten in-person wins in the past 45 years I have been coming to RU games. And our hard working players and the TV audience wouldn’t have had to look at your empty seat.

Reactions: MrsScrew
And you missed the opportunity to be totally dry in the stadium with proper gear witnessing the great comeback in person. WAs definitely one of the top ten in-person wins in the past 45 years I have been coming to RU games. And our hard working players and the TV audience wouldn’t have had to look at your empty seat.
I don’t know him personally but I’m guessing he’s good. He’s been a loyal fan and regular poster on these boards for many years.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I really detest these "holier than thou" types.

This is great advice for someone who only has to concentrate on themselve for any given game. Unfortunately back in the real world and especially on Homecoming many of us go to games with a mix of people, old and young including hardcore and casual fandom. When you're spouse and friends spouses, kids and friends are at the game with you - many as casual fans and yet still there despite a miserable day.....due to strong relationships and friendships...... and they are soaked and cold........you have to make a decision as to what is most important.

This is absolutely spot on.

This thread is dumb. People didn’t leave because of the rain. They left because of the score and because of the rain.

If it was 24-24 halfway through the 3rd, 95% of the people would have stayed.

On a side note, there wasn’t much demand for this game to begin with. We were able buy tickets 23 rows up in section 105 for $50 each.

Last edited:
This thread is dumb. People didn’t leave because of the rain. They left because of the score and because of the rain.

If it was 24-24 halfway through the 3rd, 95% of the people would have stayed.

But you cant say the score was the reason for folks to not show up at all. LOTS of empty seats in those center sections in the lower level populated by season ticket holders. The fear of rain and /or inability to know how to prepare for weather. Team deserves better

Reactions: thegock
Gosh, maybe people should stop worrying about the ones that left early and start worrying about the 30k (just a guess) that had tickets and didn’t even come into the stadium. Yes I was one of the ones that left early, but can’t believe how many people were out in the parking lots partying that I saw on the way back to my car. It is embarrassing seeing our boys run out of the tunnel to an empty stadium. I actually flew up from Georgia just to see Rutgers play and I am not even an alumni. We all yearn to become one of the big boys on the football landscape but our own fans can’t get onboard. I can’t stand seeing visiting teams fans come into our stadium and act like their sh@$& don’t stink. At the end of the day, we the fans must do our part to create an atmosphere where recruits can see themselves coming to play in. If you think it’s over rated come down and see a UGA or any other big time programs home game. I wear my Rutgers gear proudly here in the heart of SEC country (and take a ribbing at time 😁). With that said…Go RU! Beat IU!

Exactly. I’ll be sure to give my 2 year old this advice. She needs to be more accountable

I feel like I haven't really learned anything from this thread. It's also a little short on entertainment value.

Overall, I have to give it my lowest one star rating.

Reactions: mildone and Randal7
Somehow our Big Ten Brethren in Nebraska/ Penn State / Ohio State etc etc... seem to not let situations like this deter them. But Oh Well... we are who we are

Because there are generations of fans at these schools. There are people who probably can never afford Ohio state tickets for their family but religiously watch them every Saturday together. Now because of crappy weather they have a chance to see a game either significantly discounted or as a freebie, you bet they will be there with bells on.

Reactions: ManasquanMike
Exactly. Don’t judge. OP, you do you, tough guy.

Our hard working players work for NIL money. Not filled seats. They've made that quite clear. And as a member of that TV audience, I thought it was cool seeing my empty seat.

I spent the day with great friends watching a very strange game. Good enough for me.

Exactly. Don’t judge. OP, you do you, tough guy.
Tough guy? Toughness has nothing to do with it. I was completely dry and warm sitting in the rain, you don’t have to be tough to sit through that. You just have to be prepared with good quality gear. Why don’t our long time Season ticket holders know how to prepare and be dry to support the team we want to see do well?

Reactions: DowntownT_Brown
Did anyone check the weather forecast?

Man. Enough already. The small group of fans that do nothing but calling out other fans needs to stop. Great, you were prepared and stayed until the end of the game. You saw a great comeback in person. I was prepared also. Sat and watched some pretty bad football for almost 3 quarters. Years of disappointment caused me to make my own decision to leave. You could never have predicted MSU was going to collapse the way they did. If so, congratulations and let me know when you hit the lottery.

But you cant say the score was the reason for folks to not show up at all. LOTS of empty seats in those center sections in the lower level populated by season ticket holders. The fear of rain and /or inability to know how to prepare for weather. Team deserves better
Literally fair weather fans.

Great. Your fanhood is 18 bajillion inches long. Nobody cares but you. We're all adults here. If someone doesn't want to sit in the rain for 4 hours, even with $300 worth of Gore Tex gear on, they don’t have to. Already been there, done that, it's overrated af, so I stayed home. Good day sir.

Okay, I guess subtlety didn't do it...

Dear OP - this is a stupid f*ckin' thread. Also, please be advised that your rambling, run-on, Unabomber writing "style" isn't going to get your shit read by anyone.

I have offshore outerwear that runs upwards of $1500 per piece. I'm not wearing it to a football game.

ANNNND.....

If I want to hang out in the tent and drink and listen to the game on the radio, then that's what I'll do. Ya know why? Cuz I bought the f*ckin' tickets.

So suck it.

Thank you, and enjoy your day.

Insanity with a very sane post. Well done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT