ADVERTISEMENT

The "I was soaked " excuse

Before the game standing in the concession line a college age fan makes admiring comments about storm gear my wife and I were wearing.

He says he just has two hoodies. This was over jeans.

I thought, do I give me the explanation of how all that cotton was just going soak up water in no time flat and be worse than wearing nothing? Tell him you need to dress for the weather and plan ahead. Give him the benefit of many years experience and some hard lessons in outdoors bad weather? Gore-Tex, layers, importance of keeping head and feet warm and dry, etc.

No, assuming this was already his second pass (at least) at the White Claw line I just encouraged him to look into some rain gear for next time.
Sounds like you're filling a parenting gap in his life.

If you're really serious about this sort of thing then there are 2 - and pretty much only 2 - manufacturers to look into: Musto and Helly Hansen.

I appreciate waking up this morning to folks providing some helpful advice, this thread has taken on a positive tone!!!

I am legit interested in the best brands and if folks have thoughts on waterproof golf gear that we can repurpose for game day that would be sweet. When I tried the inverse my layers were to constraining.

I appreciate waking up this morning to folks providing some helpful advice, this thread has taken on a positive tone!!!

I am legit interested in the best brands and if folks have thoughts on waterproof golf gear that we can repurpose for game day that would be sweet. When I tried the inverse my layers were to constraining.

I think that just like serious snow gear makes for the best outerwear in winter / snow, serious sailing gear makes for the best outerwear when you're going to be outside in the rain for a long period of time.

A lot of the more commercial "waterproof" outerwear products are made of polyester fabrics and then treated with something like Teflon to make them waterproof. Note the comment from @Scarlet16E that his waterproof shell from REI lost its integrity - that's what happens.

The offshore outerwear from HH an Musto are made from several layers of waterproof fabric with breathable layers in between so you're not sweating your balls off as if you were just stuffed into a plastic bag. Plus, they're specifically cut to allow movement so you don't feel constrained. And Helley Hansen, in particular, has perfectly good insulated jackets that you can get on sale for a couple hundred bucks. The Musto stuff is almost always going to run you a minimum of $500 per piece, the occasional clearance sale notwithstanding.

Reactions: DowntownT_Brown
I think that just like serious snow gear makes for the best outerwear in winter / snow, serious sailing gear makes for the best outerwear when you're going to be outside in the rain for a long period of time.

A lot of the more commercial "waterproof" outerwear products are made of polyester fabrics and then treated with something like Teflon to make them waterproof. Note the comment from @Scarlet16E that his waterproof shell from REI lost its integrity - that's what happens.

The offshore outerwear from HH an Musto are made from several layers of waterproof fabric with breathable layers in between so you're not sweating your balls off as if you were just stuffed into a plastic bag. Plus, they're specifically cut to allow movement so you don't feel constrained. And Helley Hansen, in particular, has perfectly good insulated jackets that you can get on sale for a couple hundred bucks. The Musto stuff is almost always going to run you a minimum of $500 per piece, the occasional clearance sale notwithstanding.
I always used foul-weather gear I have from my sailing days for rainy football games. The good stuff is decently breathable but reliably waterproof for many years. Although, I found, not forever.

I felt a little goofy wearing both uppers and lowers, but while others were soaking wet and shivering, I was toasty warm (and not just 'cause of the pre-game scotch consumption).

I only wear HH when skiing. Ski jacket and snow pants. Marmot base layers. By far the best brands I have found to keep you warm but free to move. That being said for rainy Rutgers games I only wear the cheap plastic bag poncho I bought from Rutgers. Wearing over a few layers of water resistant clothing, it keeps me bone dry. We usually bring a blanket to sit on and you sit on the poncho. It’s not that difficult or expensive to stay dry.

Do I have to wear my foul-weather gear when watching from my sofa?

Well... you know, recorded history paints a pretty bleak picture of fanaticism. PSU fanaticism led to a pedophile cover-up of epic proportions.

And Nebraskans don't have anything better to do than sit around in the rain (or snow), eat corn and watch football.
Not if you’re cuddled up with a nice warm fuzzy ewe

Reactions: mildone
I always used foul-weather gear I have from my sailing days for rainy football games. The good stuff is decently breathable but reliably waterproof for many years. Although, I found, not forever.

I felt a little goofy wearing both uppers and lowers, but while others were soaking wet and shivering, I was toasty warm (and not just 'cause of the pre-game scotch consumption).
I have foul weather gear for cycling. Normally wouldn't go riding in bad weather but there are several annual events in Belgium and France in early spring (their rainy season) and what I've found is nothing is waterproof over time. Some do a great job for hours but eventually it gets through. If it breaths you will eventually get wet. Some of these rides are 100+k, 60 plus miles. Learned to bring sneakers past their prime. Shoe covers are good for about 2 hours. At the end of the ride I keep the shoe covers and toss the sneakers.
I was toasty warm for the Michigan State game and Indiana Michigan game. Never got wet except from the beers I was drinking.

Reactions: thegock
I have foul weather gear for cycling. Normally wouldn't go riding in bad weather but there are several annual events in Belgium and France in early spring (their rainy season) and what I've found is nothing is waterproof over time. Some do a great job for hours but eventually it gets through. If it breaths you will eventually get wet. Some of these rides are 100+k, 60 plus miles. Learned to bring sneakers past their prime. Shoe covers are good for about 2 hours. At the end of the ride I keep the shoe covers and toss the sneakers.
I was toasty warm for the Michigan State game and Indiana Michigan game. Never got wet except from the beers I was drinking.
I was warm 'cause I was home. 🙂

But yeah, eventually, even my most rugged offshore foul-weather gear would lose some of it's waterproof protection.

If you're really serious about this sort of thing then there are 2 - and pretty much only 2 - manufacturers to look into: Musto and Helly Hansen. Both specialize in outerwear designed to keep you warm and dry when you're basically under water.
Is it a sin to covet thy neighbor's Helly Hansen?

Likely my next purchase but haven't put enough wear into my current Cabelas outfit to justify the expense.

Unfamiliar with Musto - I will check them out.

Is it a sin to covet thy neighbor's Helly Hansen?

Likely my next purchase but haven't put enough wear into my current Cabelas outfit to justify the expense.

Unfamiliar with Musto - I will check them out.

Musto is really high-end shit. Personally, I don't know that even the average offshore sailor needs their stuff, it's the gear that you see the really serious offshore pros wear - guys sailing the Southern Ocean in the Vendee Globe, for example. I'm pretty much fine with the really good HH gear because my general feeling is that if it's January and the air temps are in the teens and the water temps are in the 30s I'm not gonna be out there anyway. 😁

Musto is really high-end shit. Personally, I don't know that even the average offshore sailor needs their stuff, it's the gear that you see the really serious offshore pros wear - guys sailing the Southern Ocean in the Vendee Globe, for example. I'm pretty much fine with the really good HH gear because my general feeling is that if it's January and the air temps are in the teens and the water temps are in the 30s I'm not gonna be out there anyway. 😁

You get the helly deal code from emt? Makes their stuff look even better.

You get the helly deal code from emt? Makes their stuff look even better.

Nope. I just shop the sales.

I really wish there was a Helly outlet. That would be cool and, very quickly I suspect, completely unnecessary.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT