ADVERTISEMENT

O.T.-Sports Authority files for bankruptcy

Or a reflection that that the financing of the 2006 acquisition was done at a junk bond interest rate and sales haven't grown enough to cover debt service. It CAN be a reflection of lack of growth in the economy.
It can also be a function of too many players in the market, and Amazon is diluting market share. The margins for big-box retailers are typically thin as it is, especially if they're servicing debt. The PE folks who did the deal may have simply wanted the fees their firm would generate for doing it, then didn't give a shit what happened after that. If they had no skin in the game, the safe bet is that this contributed to their demise. Even with that, the 7-year turnaround many PE folks have is to flip it, not to go under.

Modells and Dicks put them out to curb,and cheaper on line prices.

Oh, damn, that's become one of our favorite places to shop. Would hate to see that close. You're talking about the one in Woodland Park, right? Where the Pathmark used to be?
Would hate to have to go back to the Paramus store, I can't believe all of Fairway is going bankrupt. Great store for butcher and fish monger.

Efinger's has been the place for me, going back to when I was a kid and it was located on Main Street in Bound Brook. For any "Impractical Jokers" fans, they did a funny segment at Efinger's.

Is the Cabelas still going to open at the xanadu thibg?

Cabelas pulled out quite a while ago - never saw anything about them reupping with the latest iteration of the Xanadu Monstrosity.

Sports Authority is closing 140 stores and laying off 3,400 people.

Why do people give loons like Michael Savage the time of day and then call a guy like Bernie Sanders "crazy"?

It starts with the fact that real men like Sanders and his supporters are still busting their asses at 3pm in the afternoon earning a living for their families when all the shiftless societal parasites like brokers, traders and other nefarious salesmen somehow find time for a collective daily jerk-off blaming everyone with less money than themselves for their failures in achieving master of the universe status. The vast majority of these siesta-time Rush-tards and Savage-idiots have been self-conditioned to believe not only in the equity, but fundamental necessity, of a tax structure that affords a total of about 20 trust fund darlings the collective wealth of 150 million people. Yet, they wonder why they work so hard without ever receiving meaningful increases in wages, breaks in tuition for their kids or better, affordable access to heath care that would readily solve most common ailments, etc.. These foolish souls, bless their hearts, would do themselves a favor by turning-off talk radio in the early afternoon, getting back to work and focusing their anger on the micro-minority of the population that keeps their families in perennial economic stagnation. Unfortunately, it's simply easier to be dumb, fat and lazy, which forever keeps us treading water as a nation.

Can you name any brick and mortar retailer of durable goods (vs services) that is not affected by internet encroachment?

Autos, boats and other vehicle dealers

Bicycles have joined the Internet to some extent, but not as much as other sports gear, guess accessories have been hit, though

Large appliances, high end audio?

I used to work at a local sporting goods store when I was in college, so I know the good stuff from the made for store crap. I loved that job since I did all the buying for it. In regards to Big Box stores, they were always the enemy. However I liked Dick's when it first opened, but the one here in Paramus sucks. The selection is horrible. Sports Authority may be full priced but I always use the coupons from high school footballs games and Shoprite to get 20-25% off all the time. I love their store by the Garden State Plaza. They always have the right products for me. Mo's I can do without. Cheap made for the store stuff.

Agreed that it is a terrible shopping experience. It's the Kmart or TJMaxx of sporting goods. Terrible fluoroscent lighting. Dirty floors. Bad merchandising that only highlights the low-quality of the equipment.

They basically do nothing right.

Never could stack up to Bob Kislins or Hermans World of Sporting Goods.

Yep I do 90 percent of my shopping thru Amazon. So much less hassle. These brick and mortar businesses are doomed

Quick question about buying 90% of your stuff on line? Do you go to the stores and window shop first or just buy it on line and hope that it's actually right (ie right size, looks right etc) that you can't judge on line? I ask because I basically buy nothing on line and was just wondering.

Quick question about buying 90% of your stuff on line? Do you go to the stores and window shop first or just buy it on line and hope that it's actually right (ie right size, looks right etc) that you can't judge on line? I ask because I basically buy nothing on line and was just wondering.

i am also a regular amazon shopper (most of my stuff comes free same day shipping).

i do go to stores sometimes and if i like something i see, i check on amazon first.

weird thing though... since best buy made price matching to amazon so easy and quick, i get my electronics from best buy even cheaper.

this is cause amazon charges me 7% in taxes while the local best buys only charge 3.5% (UEZ zone)

Reactions: scarletcrew
Effingers in Bound Brook still open? My old man used to buy my stuff there in 80s. I went for a football 10 yrs ago before I moved to Boston. The place was still awesome. Is there a better smell than new sports equipment?
Since 1906.

With the exception of the never-manned 'lodge' dicks has everything you need. I could die of starvation waiting for someone to get me some ammo.
Will give you more time to read your bible. I'll be hanging out with the hot moms in the yoga section. :pimp:

This thread reminded me that as a young New Jersey Guy, there was nothing as exciting as shopping for a new baseball glove at this place:

hermans_bag_hermansalumni-com.jpg

Yes! Hermans Woodbridge Center. Shop at Orbachs. Catch Sat Night Fever in the movie upper level. Sundae at Friendlys. Back to the late 70s (couldn't beat Penn State then. Still can't beat a mediocre PSU team now. Ash will change that)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT