ADVERTISEMENT

Official: No Fall In Person Classes At Rutgers

I had heard this was coming, but was under the impression it wasn't going to be announced until mid-July, so a bit earlier than expected.

Official statement: https://www.rutgers.edu/news/rutgers-university-announces-fall-2020-plans

"Decisions regarding the upcoming athletic season will continue to be guided by state requirements and policies developed by the campuses’ respective athletic conferences."

Reactions: HPNJRUfan
I had heard this was coming, but was under the impression it wasn't going to be announced until mid-July, so a bit earlier than expected.

Official statement: https://www.rutgers.edu/news/rutgers-university-announces-fall-2020-plans

"Decisions regarding the upcoming athletic season will continue to be guided by state requirements and policies developed by the campuses’ respective athletic conferences."
I read that last statement as "If the B1G is playing football, we're playing football, provided Murphy lets us "

Refund!
The financial impact is going to be crushing. Look for professor and staff layoffs.
90% of the American college experience is the actual experience. This isn’t Europe. If I am a kid there I take off the semester and take transfer credits at a community college/work. What a waste of money to go to a virtual college that costs 10x more.

If all this forces some of these crazy liberal arts depts and schools to have to downsize, or more, something good will come out of it.

90% of the American college experience is the actual experience. This isn’t Europe. If I am a kid there I take off the semester and take transfer credits at a community college/work. What a waste of money to go to a virtual college that costs 10x more.

If all this forces some of these crazy liberal arts depts and schools to have to downsize, or more, something good will come out of it.
This is fine and dandy if you are a freshman/ sophomore, you likely cannot take higher level classes as a junior/ senior.... Perhaps you can take some Pass/fail classes, but if you're a higher level student it may not even be an option.

So instead of season ticket drops, can we predict how much enrollment drops this year?

This is fine and dandy if you are a freshman/ sophomore, you likely cannot take higher level classes as a junior/ senior.... Perhaps you can take some Pass/fail classes, but if you're a higher level student it may not even be an option.
If it’s an option, I’m taking it. Why wouldn’t you?

They won't downsize those departments, they'll downsize the econ, business, engineering, and medical departments for fear of being cancelled by the mob.

Reactions: goru1869
That puts the nail in the coffin for football attendance. Even if they allow the games to go on, no fans will be allowed to congregate on campus like that, students or public.

Not so sure.
Maybe we have limited seating with distancing in the Stadium. Perhaps the 10,000 {20% capacity} of the longest season ticket holders. Major tailgating to be eliminated.
30 students in a class room is a little different than people spread out in an outdoor stadium.

That was already put in place in many schools last semester.
They won't downsize those departments, they'll downsize the econ, business, engineering, and medical departments for fear of being cancelled by the mob.
I highly doubt anything in STEM will be touched at all.

And @Caliknight is right, it’s about being there on campus and the surrounding area. To quote our namesake...”Don’t let school get in the way of your education.”

Last edited:

Yeah, they are missing sooooo much.

WarlikeHappygoluckyHarvestmouse-max-1mb.gif

Part of the college experience is learning to deal with situations and overcoming obstacles. This is a big one. My son (a sophomore computer science major) is fine with the decision, and plans to continue taking classes through Rutgers.

Everybody was complaining about over staffing and the administration, this is an opportunity to correct the size of administration. This will be true about state, local governments, Elementary and high schools.

Expect more layoffs from the government employees.

Everybody was complaining about over staffing and the administration, this is an opportunity to correct the size of administration. This will be true about state, local governments, Elementary and high schools.

If the students are there, in person or online, they still need to be taught and “managed” with support.

Only see a change here if there are drastic drops in enrollment. And that’s not happening.

No difference than other colleges.
The refunds will be in room and board which are very pricey but do vary from school to school.

If no one is sleeping in a dorm or eating in a dining hall...why have a staff for those areas?

Reactions: rdono28337

...Or just cut their ridiculous salaries to where they should be.

Reactions: RUDead
Wow, in the end this may trigger the long awaited correction to higher education costs in this country after all. Depending upon major and course this remote learning will likely be the new paradigm going forward. I feel bad for all the new construction of lecture halls RU and others have built the past couple of years.

Wow, in the end this may trigger the long awaited correction to higher education costs in this country after all. Depending upon major and course this remote learning will likely be the new paradigm going forward.

So the new model of education in the country will involve zero in person interaction among our youths. Do you have any idea what that will do to their psychological and social development?

Wow, in the end this may trigger the long awaited correction to higher education costs in this country after all. Depending upon major and course this remote learning will likely be the new paradigm going forward.
I don’t know if this will trigger the correction more than the severe reduction in international students. College once again might be only for the upper middle class or the rich.

It will be easier to get into the Ivy League if you can afford to pay full price. You don’t have to as smart as before 2020.

Reactions: Greg2020
That was already put in place in many schools last semester.
I highly doubt anything in STEM will be touched at all.

And @Caliknight is right, it’s about being there on campus and the surrounding area. To quote our namesake...”Don’t let school get in the way of your education.”

I agree with you about STEM. Economics, Management, Accounting? Watch out.

Works for me. This is a benefit of the past few months.

Reactions: goru1869
So the new model of education in the country will involve zero in person interaction among our youths. Do you have any idea what that will do to their psychological and social development?
It will have a place like @RW90 suggests but I doubt it will be the “future” for elementary or high school.

No one says office hours or TA sessions will be abolished entirely.
And today's youth crossed that Rubicon years ago with social media.

Reactions: BoogieKnight
Reactions: T2Kplus10
Just think of all the parents who thought their sons and daughters were going out on their own. Or better yet, those who now will never get those kids out of their homes. Just like the olden days when families lived together with their kids, grandkids and all contributed to the family. Ahhh to be be young again. Good Luck .

Reactions: Knightmoves

Well said

Just think of all the parents who thought their sons and daughters were going out on their own. Or better yet, those who now will never get those kids out of their homes. Just like the olden days when families lived together with their kids, grandkids and all contributed to the family. Ahhh to be be young again. Good Luck .
They’ll be able to work at the local factory and bring their lunch in a lunch box.

Now you won’t have to say “when I was young”

Reactions: Greg2020
Don’t have any relatives going to college for at least 9-10 years, next generation. It will be easier to get into more selective schools, they might even be able to get into an Ivy league because they will be able to afford full price.

Fewer students applying for financial aid and probably not going to college.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/07/06...ollege-aid-access-resources-cut-off-pandemic/

I think there are 4 clear exceptions to that: Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford. Their 11 figure endowments will allow them price accordingly and the degree will still have cache. It will be interesting to see what the other prestige private schools can package. But Harvard could drop $3 billion a year from their endowment along with the annual income into operating funds and not blink an eye

Don’t have any relatives going to college for at least 9-10 years, next generation. It will be easier to get into more selective schools, they might even be able to get into an Ivy league because they will be able to afford full price.

Fewer students applying for financial aid and probably not going to college.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/07/06...ollege-aid-access-resources-cut-off-pandemic/
Timeline works for me, daughter is a rising 3rd grader, so she has 9-10 years to go as well. Our 529 is fully stocked. Cash may be king in the college world soon.

Think this will hurt academic performance. Too many kids lack discipline and being at home it's likely easier to skip or surf the web during class.

Plus any STEM discipline has labs basically every semester after first year. How do you manage that with kids at home (and many not short commute away or with access to a car).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT