ADVERTISEMENT

OFFICIAL RU vs. MSU Prediction Thread

MSU has about the same problem.
But Tucker did retain a couple of Dantonio's staff.
Also had one return to MSU after a couple of years at FSU
4 coaches followed him from Colorado.
So you might say MSU has a slight edge ( because of the 4 Colorado assistants) when it comes to the assistants knowing how the HC operates and the 3 with MSU ties .

As for Rutgers
Aurich worked with Greg before, so did Smith and Fraser
Add Jay Butler and Joe Susan as well.
Then you have Panagos , Underwood and Nunzio having Rutgers connections.

I think when it comes to coaching staffs know what the HC wants and the programs needs, it's relatively equal when it comes to both staffs.
Both programs practices have been affect by the virus, so I consider that a wash as well.
Home field and talent probably gives the Spartans an edge.
Tucker didn't seem to make the Buffaloes that good of a team and Greg proved he can turn around a program, ( though it was years ago that he did) giving Rutgers a slight edge in HC department in my (biased) mind .
That's why I predicted a 32-23 win by the Scarlet Knights over Tucker's MSU's program.

I don’t think it’s test fair to judge tucker in one year at Colorado. They were a complete dumpster fire of a program before he got there.

He’s unproven as a head coach but I don’t think you learned a whole lot about him at CU one year

Michigan State 27 RUTGERS 0
tenor.gif

Just razzin' ya, bac.

No attendance prediction?

I don’t think it’s test fair to judge tucker in one year at Colorado. They were a complete dumpster fire of a program before he got there.

He’s unproven as a head coach but I don’t think you learned a whole lot about him at CU one year
RU fans can hope he is on the Mike Locksley plan. We'll see if Locksley gets something going this year. His recruiting has been strong.

I think the absence of fans helps. The depth chart is interesting with the amount of upperclassman on the 2 deep. If RU can establish a run game it would help significantly. If we can stay in manageable down and distance I think it will help the Oline. Both QBs are a question mark, both RBs are talented. I am worried about their WR from I think Western Michigan. He is supposed to be the real deal. Predicting RU to win hasn't been a wise choice the last few years. I think the difference is RU wins the special teams battle. What the heck RU 27-23.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I am going with 43-40 RU. Not because I believe the offense has improved but because the tackling I have seen throughout the FBS has been so bad so far this season.
very good point.. high scores all over the place... long-range weather shows showers on friday (which also looks windy) and sunday with a decent window for saturday but that looks highly suspicious to me.. quite variable.. something stalls or speeds up.. could be sloppy weather.

Reactions: cicero grimes
This game is winnable if we don't turn it over and Gleeson figures out some creative ways to move the ball. I think the D will hold up. RU 24-22

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
It is really difficult to make predictions this season with Covid and the altered practice and game schedules. Tough to say what type of team will show up on Saturday. Given that Schiano is at the helm I predict we will be ready to go. I also really want to see if Gleeson can be creative and get the offense going, which has been anemic for the past few years. I'll be a homer and say 21-17 RU.

It is really difficult to make predictions this season with Covid and the altered practice and game schedules. Tough to say what type of team will show up on Saturday. Given that Schiano is at the helm I predict we will be ready to go. I also really want to see if Gleeson can be creative and get the offense going, which has been anemic for the past few years. I'll be a homer and say 21-17 RU.
I like your score prediction...

Reactions: RUboston
The Moon will be in Aquarius,the sign of the unusual.I've noticed that Schiano has a tendency to call for trick plays during this time,as he did vs NC State in 2011.To compensate for our lack of talent,he'd better have an entire bag of tricks.

Michigan State 27 RUTGERS 0
Ash has made many good RU fans feel Greg has a lot to overcome in making RU FB respectable again

Looking back to Greg 1.0 his first game against a decent opponent was a 61-0 loss at their house.
But he did beat a bad Buffalo program his first game. Being a home game helped as well
Greg 2.0 doesn't have that type of cupcake to start out with and MSU at home makes your prediction understandable

The Moon will be in Aquarius,the sign of the unusual.I've noticed that Schiano has a tendency to call for trick plays during this time,as he did vs NC State in 2011.To compensate for our lack of talent,he'd better have an entire bag of tricks.

Is the moon going to be in the 7th house? After the game will we let the sunshine in?

Ash has made many good RU fans feel Greg has a lot to overcome in making RU FB respectable again

Looking back to Greg 1.0 his first game against a decent opponent was a 61-0 loss at their house.
The transfer portal thing has allowed for some quick upgrades at some positions.
But there's still a ways to go. The O-line is the worst. No receivers. One of our opponents is gonna have to be real generous. Let's hope.

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
have you seen our offense the last few years, do we have a functionable qb....its going to take time

I’d like to think the hurry up O, with a lot of quick screens, and slants off of play action will help. Also the deep ball off playaction from a spread formation and 1:1 coverage. Asking Sit to read a D at the LOS, drop back, make the right decision, and fit the ball in on plays with no deception didn’t work. Hopefully we go with Vedral to add the QB run element which optimizes the Gleeson O.

Then again we also need a competent OL for any of this to work haha

Actual Score..
Rutgers 38 - Michigan State 27 margin 11 points

I think the clear winner of the prediction thread is MADHAT1.. and clear loser is BAC who guessed 27-0 MSU.

Some need an explanation.. I was just eyeballing the scores but to judge accurately I would say there are 4 categories...

1 - the correct winner
2 - score difference for winner
3 - score difference for loser
4 - the difference between the winning margin predicted

In the figures below I judge them all equally... and to note... there were a lot of people with similar 24-17 ish scores.. many closer.. These are the ones I eyeballed and noticed.. no idea how I missed RUrevolutions score..

MADHAT1
RU 32
msu 23 diff -6 -5 -2 total differences 13

Knight Shift
Rutgers 28 MSU 19 diff -10 -9 -2 total diff 21

RUBigFrank
RU 24-17 diff -14 -11 4 total diff 29

cicero grimes
43-40 RU diff +5 +13 margin 3 = -8 total diff 26

RUevolution36
42-17 diff +4 -11.. margin 25-11 = 14 .. total diff 29

BAC
27-0 diff WRONG WINNER... -38 0 score diff.. 38 total diff 76

I had hoped-for, rather than predicted.. something in the range of 20-17.. I thought we could win that.. that total diff would be 18+10+8 = 36 (not competitive)

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
Was literally about to call out @bac2therac to get his ass off the CE board and start this.

Coin flip - whoever has the least miscues early will limp to the win. MSU coughs up the ball twice deep in the first 10 mins.

RU 21
MSU 17
Welp...Didn’t get the score close, but I got the sentiment, especially the early turnovers. Yay me and RU!

I can only bake one bundt cake. Thanks for the wrap up. We celebrated by going out on the boat for a couple of hours. Great day today, which can be topped off by PSU losing. Fingers crossed.

I updated my post.. feel free to copy the pertinent stuff to the OP post to make it easy to see results.. and let me know if you think of a different scoring method...

Actual Score..
Rutgers 38 - Michigan State 27 margin 11 points

I think the clear winner of the prediction thread is MADHAT1.. and clear loser is BAC who guessed 27-0 MSU.

Some need an explanation.. I was just eyeballing the scores but to judge accurately I would say there are 4 categories...

1 - the correct winner
2 - score difference for winner
3 - score difference for loser
4 - the difference between the winning margin predicted

In the figures below I judge them all equally... and to note... there were a lot of people with similar 24-17 ish scores.. many closer.. These are the ones I eyeballed and noticed.. no idea how I missed RUrevolutions score..

MADHAT1
RU 32
msu 23 diff -6 -5 -2 total differences 13

Knight Shift
Rutgers 28 MSU 19 diff -10 -9 -2 total diff 21

RUBigFrank
RU 24-17 diff -14 -11 4 total diff 29

cicero grimes
43-40 RU diff +5 +13 margin 3 = -8 total diff 26

RUevolution36
42-17 diff +4 -11.. margin 25-11 = 14 .. total diff 29

BAC
27-0 diff WRONG WINNER... -38 0 score diff.. 38 total diff 76

I had hoped-for, rather than predicted.. something in the range of 20-17.. I thought we could win that.. that total diff would be 18+10+8 = 36 (not competitive)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT