ADVERTISEMENT

OFFICIAL USC Trip Thread-- Who is going? What are your plans?

Patrick and others. I booked my flight but haven't made any accommodations yet. I live in Manasquan and have spent a lifetime of summer weekends at the beach so water isn't as big an attraction for me. What are your thoughts on staying in Hollywood? I'm not against your suggestions but was thinking Hollywood is close to a lot of fun stuff. Or is it too gritty/touristy for your taste?
I was in Hollywood once, when in CA on business. I had rented a Mustang Convertible and drove all over the place. It was pretty smoggy when I was there, so my eyes watered almost the whole time.

Hollywood was thoroughly unimpressive to me. And surprisingly dirty and dingy, as cities go. The traffic in that area was even worse than in central NJ.

Driving up and around some expensive areas in the hills overlooking the city was also a letdown, not what I was expecting at all. I guess you pay for views of the city through some smog, but the feel of the area was definitely not my thing. The expensive places to live here in NJ are way nicer than anything I saw in or around Hollywood.

Other than that, though, it was great. 😀

Animal House Quote GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

Yes, yes, yes, yes, LA, and yes, yes, yes, yes, yes in anticipation of other questions
I'll keep a running list here because I know I'll think of more every day

If you like being active hiking and biking . Rent a bike and rid on the beach trail stretches from Santa Monica to Palos Verdes, about 20 miles (so 40 miles RT if you want to do the whole thing). the San Gabriel mountains are incredible for hiking but recent fires might put the kibosh on those for this year I'm sad to say. There are good in city hikes in Griffith Park, Will Rogers St Park, Malibu

Speaking of Griffith Park the Observatory is an iconic LA building (you've seen it in many movies I'm sure) and clear weather willing the views of LA are very nice. The LA Zoo in Griffith is not as nice as San Diego's but its still nice

If you like walking through botanical gardens Huntington Gardens in Pasadena is definitely worth it, including more of the iconic roses than you've probably ever seen in one place

Museums. the big one is the Getty Center sits high up on a hill in Brentwood. Great architecture. I'm not a big art museum guy but if you are go to town. I think the Getty Villa in Malibu is better . Believe reservations needed for both. if you are staying near the Coliseum Science Center is great but the main attraction is the space shuttle which is awesome to see but its temporarily closed as they move it :(. People I know love the LACMA (again not a art guy !) .

I didn't agree much with mildones post about LA but hey different strokes, right? the one thing he's right about is Hollywood. Should be avoided with the notable exception of if you are a movie person seeing a flick at the famous Chinese Theater is an iconic LA experience and would recommend .

As far as avoiding things--downtown LA which is near USC. Quite honestly very little to do here.

Also for movie buff, the studio tours are generally very cool (I'm not including Universal which is a theme park). But Paramount, Warner Brothers and Sony tours were fun but havent been to these in a long time

I think the NFL is happening that weekend but if you can manage a tour of SoFi stadium I would highly recommend as its like nothing you've ever seen if you like stadiums.

Drive up the coast to Santa Barbara for a day trip on the Pacific Coast Highway, great views on the drive, Santa Barbara is mostly a lovely town

if you want beach town vibes, drive (not too far) to Manhattan Beach and take a stroll on the Strand. MB is my favorite LA beach town. Beach volleyball, countless 8 figure homes. Lot of athletes (both LA atheletes and others that live here in off season can be seen here Good food here too. The scenery here is impressive as well (yes my wife knows and accepts me)

if you like shopping of course Rodeo Dr in Beverly Hills is a favorite. Century City Mall is nice too

I saw someone mention going to Catalina. this is guaranteed to an all -day affair so you can't just pop in to check it out. The ferry takes a minimum of an hour each way and it can be a little rough. It is a cool place, very much not L.A-ish

If you like horses/thoroughbreds Santa Anita (home of Sea Biscuit) is a fun place to spend time

if you aren't afraid of some bohemian weirdness take a walk on the Venice Beach boardwalk (yes, it's perfectly safe) home to the well known muscle beach gym made popular by Arnold as well as the "White Man Can't Jump" basketball courts

Avoid star home tours at all costs. Pure rubbish

Food --I might not be the best person to ask since I have what is known as a sensitive palate, a.k.a I'm fussy AF a.k.a a real pain in the ass as George Carlin said. I do not like sushi which is like sacreligious here in LA so might want to ask some others about that. I have my favorites though which I can always share, but LA is freaking huge with more choices than you can possibly talk about. I generally enjoy eating in Pasadena, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Manhattan and Hermosa Beach, all great dining destinations. If you think you find something you like make reservations like NOW. The popular spots are exceedingly difficulty to get reservations for

Yes traffic sucks. Take into account driving times. avoid freeways at rush hours (duh) Waze is incredibly and eerily accurate with driving times.

Assume you need to reserve everything in advance so look up crap online well in advance

I'll add more as I think about it.

Last edited:

If you like being active hiking and biking . Rent a bike and rid on the beach trail stretches from Santa Monica to Palos Verdes, about 20 miles (so 40 miles RT if you want to do the whole thing). the San Gabriel mountains are incredible for hiking but recent fires might put the kibosh on those for this year I'm sad to say. There are good in city hikes in Griffith Park, Will Rogers St Park, Malibu

Speaking of Griffith Park the Observatory is an iconic LA building (you've seen it in many movies I'm sure) and clear weather willing the views of LA are very nice. The LA Zoo in Griffith is not as nice as San Diego's but its still nice

If you like walking through botanical gardens Huntington Gardens in Pasadena is definitely worth it, including more of the iconic roses than you've probably ever seen in one place

Museums. the big one is the Getty Center sits high up on a hill in Brentwood. Great architecture. I'm not a big art museum guy but if you are go to town. I think the Getty Villa in Malibu is better . Believe reservations needed for both. if you are staying near the Coliseum Science Center is great but the main attraction is the space shuttle which is awesome to see but its temporarily closed as they move it :(. People I know love the LACMA (again not a art guy !) .

I didn't agree much with mildones post about LA but hey different strokes, right? the one thing he's right about is Hollywood. Should be avoided with the notable exception of if you are a movie person seeing a flick at the famous Chinese Theater is an iconic LA experience and would recommend .

Also for movie buff, the studio tours are generally very cool (I'm not including Universal which is a theme park). But Paramount, Warner Brothers and Sony tours were fun but havent been to these in a long time

I think the NFL is happening that weekend but if you can manage a tour of SoFi stadium I would highly recommend as its like nothing you've ever seen if you like stadiums.

Drive up the coast to Santa Barbara for a day trip on the Pacific Coast Highway, great views on the drive, Santa Barbara is mostly a lovely town

if you want beach town vibes, drive (not too far) to Manhattan Beach and take a stroll on the Strand. MB is my favorite LA beach town. Beach volleyball, countless 8 figure homes. Lot of athletes (both LA atheletes and others that live here in off season can be seen here Good food here too. The scenery here is impressive as well (yes my wife knows and accepts me)

if you like shopping of course Rodeo Dr in Beverly Hills is a favorite. Century City Mall is nice too

I saw someone mention going to Catalina. this is guaranteed to an all -day affair so you can't just pop in to check it out. The ferry takes a minimum of an hour each way and it can be a little rough. It is a cool place, very much not L.A-ish

If you like horses/thoroughbreds Santa Anita (home of Sea Biscuit) is a fun place to spend time

if you aren't afraid of some bohemian weirdness take a walk on the Venice Beach boardwalk (yes, it's perfectly safe) home to the well known muscle beach gym made popular by Arnold as well as the "White Man Can't Jump" basketball courts

Food --I might not be the best person to ask since I what a sensitive palate, a.k.a I'm fussy AF a.k.a a real pain in the ass as George Carlin said. I do not like sushi which is like sacreligious here in LA so might want to ask some others about that. I have my favorites though which I can always share, but LA is freaking huge with more choices than you can possibly talk about. I generally enjoy eating in Pasadena, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Manhattan and Hermosa Beach, all great dining destinations. If you think you find something you like make reservations like NOW. The popular spots are exceedingly difficulty to get reservations for

Yes traffic sucks. Take into account driving times. avoid freeways at rush hours (duh) Waze is incredibly and eerily accurate with driving times. I'll add more as I think about it.

Assume you needs to reserve everything in advance so look up crap online well in advance

Regarding Catalina, you can make it a half day by taking the helicopter. The fast one is 12 minutes. The slower one is 15.

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
Do we have a meeting spot and time? There are a couple of R Fund folks who said they would like to join the hike. We may have quite large group.
This will be awesome if we get a lot of people!

I will put out an "official" post in short order but count on meeting (be prompt) at the trailhead at 8:30 AM.

Click on this All Trails link for details re: trailhead locale and trail info/elevation/distance etc . Parking is available but not plentiful considering ubering there if you have worries. its in a nice neighborhood so no worries about that

Reactions: MrsScrew

As far as avoiding things--downtown LA which is near USC. Quite honestly very little to do here.

Food --I might not be the best person to ask since I have what is known as a sensitive palate, a.k.a I'm fussy AF a.k.a a real pain in the ass as George Carlin said. I do not like sushi which is like sacreligious here in LA so might want to ask some others about that. I have my favorites though which I can always share, but LA is freaking huge with more choices than you can possibly talk about. I generally enjoy eating in Pasadena, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Manhattan and Hermosa Beach, all great dining destinations. If you think you find something you like make reservations like NOW. The popular spots are exceedingly difficulty to get reservations for

Yes traffic sucks. Take into account driving times. avoid freeways at rush hours (duh) Waze is incredibly and eerily accurate with driving times. I'll add more as I think about it.

Assume you need to reserve everything in advance so look up crap online well in advance
If you have the time, I highly recommend the Catalina trip, well worth it.

If you don’t have kids, a stroll of Venice Beach would be my suggestion. It’s a pretty enlightening experience and some of the best people watching out there.

If you have kids, highly recommend the Mr Brainwash Musuen. 60-90 minute trip tops and around all of the Beverly Hills landmarks.

Too many food options to mention. One of the best I’ve had is a Roy Choi taco truck.

This will be awesome if we get a lot of people!

I will put out an "official" post in short order but count on meeting (be prompt) at the trailhead at 8:30 AM.

Click on this All Trails link for details re: trailhead locale and trail info/elevation/distance etc . Parking is available but not plentiful considering ubering there if you have worries. its in a nice neighborhood so no worries about that
For the record, I'm a fast hiker. I plan to be sitting in the middle of one of the O's while the slowpokes bring up the rear. 🤣 Looking forward to meeting you. I kept one of your hoops seats warm last year.

Reactions: PatrickRU92
Catalina is beyond awesome....golfed there, drank there with Ed McMahon (well....kinda stayed at his house)...parasailed, stayed 3 days too long lol!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT