ADVERTISEMENT

OFFICIAL USC Trip Thread-- Who is going? What are your plans?

How is Joshua Tree National Park? Is it worth a trip? how many days would be recommended there for anyone thats been?

How is Joshua Tree National Park? Is it worth a trip? how many days would be recommended there for anyone thats been?
If you’re going out and back from LA in a day it’s a lot of driving. The park is absolutely worth a trip, especially if you can stay for a night. There’s a lot of great air bnb’s in the area. A day time hike to some of the bigger landmarks, dinner in town (Joshua Tree Saloon or Snake Bite Roadhouse) and a return to the park at night for star gazing would be my suggestion.

Last edited:
Reactions: brookdale-soda
We're flying in Wednesday night. Likely taking our 9-yr-old daughter to Universal on Thursday. Aiming to arrive on USC campus early afternoon so we can hit up the museums and Rose Garden. We'll probably order seats through RU even though the seats will likely suck. I've been to a USC game before; as mentioned above, it's not an optimal viewing experience. Still, it's a dope experience.

Reactions: Local Shill
Last edited:
Might be more of an announced attendance vs. actual. We know that story very well in Piscataway.
That pic you're seeing the team coming out of the tunnel, with the student section diagonal, where the seats fill last. I watch most of their games I'd say 65K per IN the stadium is pretty much spot-on. Also...LA...late arriving crowds are typical.

To those making the trip---

I am thinking about getting together a Thursday morning hike to the Hollywood sign. You can get right behind it and take pics, the view is great of the city from there as well. Would be a great group RU fans photo op. The hike itself is modestly strenuous but nothing crazy .
On a thursday AM it won't be terribly crowded either (you can imagine on weekends it draws a lot of people)

Anyway, just in the early planning stages and trying to garner interest. If this appeals to you private message me here, or if you want my email can give it to you if you have questions

anyone welcome!

GO RU

I am thinking about getting together a Thursday morning hike to the Hollywood sign. You can get right behind it and take pics, the view is great of the city from there as well. Would be a great group RU fans photo op. The hike itself is modestly strenuous but nothing crazy .
On a thursday AM it won't be terribly crowded either (you can imagine on weekends it draws a lot of people)

Anyway, just in the early planning stages and trying to garner interest. If this appeals to you private message me here, or if you want my email can give it to you if you have questions

anyone welcome!

GO RU
That sounds fun. We were thinking of staying in Topanga Canyon in a VRBO rental for a couple of nights until Friday morning. We like hiking and mountain biking. Seems like an interesting area. Is that decent plan, or do you recommend another area. It seems to be about an hour drive from a house we are looking to rent to the Hollywood sign.

That sounds fun. We were thinking of staying in Topanga Canyon in a VRBO rental for a couple of nights until Friday morning. We like hiking and mountain biking. Seems like an interesting area. Is that decent plan, or do you recommend another area. It seems to be about an hour drive from a house we are looking to rent to the Hollywood sign.
very nice area. yeah that seems about right driving time wise kind of a straight shot down Sunset Blvd. Lot of lights though

in your area Malibu Creek is a nice area to hike (thats where the filmed the opening to MASH), the movie Pleasantville with Toby Magurie and Reese Witherspoon shot there among many others. A short strenuous hike not incredibly far with a GREAT pay off is Pt Mugu. Its crazy steep but short but the view of Malibu coastline is $$$

very nice area. yeah that seems about right driving time wise kind of a straight shot down Sunset Blvd. Lot of lights though

in your area Malibu Creek is a nice area to hike (thats where the filmed the opening to MASH), the movie Pleasantville with Toby Magurie and Reese Witherspoon shot there among many others. A short strenuous hike not incredibly far with a GREAT pay off is Pt Mugu. Its crazy steep but short but the view of Malibu coastline is $$$
Scouting out another rental or two. Also looking at one that is not in Topanga, but much closer to all the LA attractions close to Occidental College. We may come out for the entire week. We are hearty hikers- we go to Sedona, AZ 4-5 times per year for some 3-5 hour steep hikes and mountain bike rides (me solo). Pt Mugu looks quite incredible.

BTW, I'm pretty sure I sat in your hoops seats this year for the Penn State game with e5fdny.

Reactions: RUforester72

anyone welcome!

GO RU

Maybe Friday morning? We don't land until noon Thursday. 😁

Maybe Friday morning? We don't land until noon Thursday. 😁
willing to do that if it works better for people. I think there is going to some kind of event somewhere on Friday becuse its gameday but don't know any details of that and I also figured people might have other plans on Friday since its gamed day. But the hike would be in the AM

so if it works better, yes just want to see if there any interest!

willing to do that if it works better for people. I think there is going to some kind of event somewhere on Friday becuse its gameday but don't know any details of that and I also figured people might have other plans on Friday since its gamed day. But the hike would be in the AM

I want to get three tickets for this game. Can anyone whose familiar with the Coliseum give me some tips about where the best sections to sit are? I see that the ticket prices fluctuate wildly depending on whether you're in the first, second, or third tiers and also the yardline. Any advice is most welcome!

Cant wait, my wife and I recently booked our flight. Seems like getting to the game will be biggest pain in the ass. Looks like we will drive to a stop on the metro and head in from there.

Reactions: MrsScrew

Friday would be good!

Just booked the Hilton Santa Monica for Thurs through Monday. Thanks to all of the info in this thread. Really looking forward to it. Double dipping here as I get to go the game and enjoy taking my wife out to LA for her first visit to celebrate our 30th anniversary. Win/Win!

Are most people getting tickets through RU or through resellers?

With an 8pm kickoff, Friday morning would work well and leave time to get to campus/stadium/pre-game. RU offering a $20 pre-game tailgate...somewhere. Also staying at Santa Monica Hilton

I live in LA so I’ll definitely be there, and happy to help anyone with recs or join a get together.

How is everyone getting their tix? Stubhub the way to go?

so it seems like Friday works better for most which works fine for me as well. This would be morning hike but you east coast people will probably be up early with the time zone change anyway.

You don't have to be a triathalon runner for this but should be in decent shape. its 6 miles round trip, 1100 feet elevation gain. View of the Griffith Park observatory, down town LA and hollywood hills and of course the Hollywood sign are stupendous. Please let me know if you are interested. there is no max or min amount, whoever wants to come can come.

so it seems like Friday works better for most which works fine for me as well. This would be morning hike but you east coast people will probably be up early with the time zone change anyway.

You don't have to be a triathalon runner for this but should be in decent shape. its 6 miles round trip, 1100 feet elevation gain. View of the Griffith Park observatory, down town LA and hollywood hills and of course the Hollywood sign are stupendous. Please let me know if you are interested. there is no max or min amount, whoever wants to come can come.

@RUScrew85 & I are in.

Reactions: PatrickRU92
Yeah or just buy through USC. Do NOT go through Rutgers. You will be sitting in the nosebleeds for twice the price. RU ticket office is horrible to deal with; home or road.
Depends on what kind of experience you want. I go to an away game every year and I always buy through Rutgers because taking worse seats to be surrounded by dedicated Rutgers fans is a trade off that I find worth it. I have more fun being in a section of Rutgers fans high-fiving each other after a big play, doing the RU chant, etc than being the only one in my area cheering for Rutgers. I also have never had an issue with the ticket office.

Yeah or just buy through USC. Do NOT go through Rutgers. You will be sitting in the nosebleeds for twice the price. RU ticket office is horrible to deal with; home or road.
Spoken like someone who has absolutely no idea how visiting school ticket allotments work.

What’s up there whack-a-doodle??!

Reactions: TRU2RU

RU takes Hollywood!

Rucoe89 +1 should be in. What time should those staying in Santa Monica (Hilton) plan to leave to make it in time to start the hike given area weekday traffic?

I'm thinking be at the trailhead at 9AM if that works for everyone. have to get the hike in before we all go to the game. It will take prob 3.5 hours I think for the whole thing. if people prefer earlier start to get ready for the game earlier I'm down. Give it about 30-35 min drive I think, +/-

Reactions: rucoe89
The troll with 1,000 names is back again, did your mother restore your internet privileges?

I'm thinking be at the trailhead at 9AM if that works for everyone. have to get the hike in before we all go to the game. It will take prob 3.5 hours I think for the whole thing. if people prefer earlier start to get ready for the game earlier I'm down. Give it about 30-35 min drive I think, +/-
I'll be up for the hike.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT