ADVERTISEMENT

Ogbole debut vs. Indiana?

"Ogbole, who moved from Nigeria to the US last year to attend junior college at Monroe, hit Rutgers' radar late and received an offer in November 2022, the month of his 22nd birthday" from ESPN article

That would make him 23 now... 6'10 260lbs on the Rutgers site. He's a full grown man

Reactions: malaka27
Your forgetting the skill, coordination and savvy that goes along with physicality
I'm not. If he had all that, then he would be a star

We are only talking about a few spot minutes off the bench to rebound, dunk, protect the rim, and bang inside

If it's all about next year, we should all want to see if he is someone who is capable of contributing next season as well

Reactions: zappaa
Agree. Valuable role as a rim protector shot blocker rebounder inside physical presence

Wouldn't mind seeing Ogbole in and committing a hard clean foul in a game we are getting beat up inside
Fouling is literally the only defense Rutgers plays lol.

They should have made Gavin put on 10 lbs of muscle.

Did the staff
A. not tell him OR
B. Gavin just didn't gain muscle
It ain’t that. He’s often out of position on D and can’t find good scoring opportunities, neither related to mass or strength.

"Ogbole, who moved from Nigeria to the US last year to attend junior college at Monroe, hit Rutgers' radar late and received an offer in November 2022, the month of his 22nd birthday" from ESPN article

That would make him 23 now... 6'10 260lbs on the Rutgers site. He's a full grown man
I want to see him “box out” and just clear the deck of anyone in the lane.

If Gavin wasn’t given a pre entry Rutgers weight program and nutritional guide with advice then shame on us. An 18 year old 6’7” or 6’8” kid should have no trouble gaining 10-12 lbs with muscle over 8-10 months. Something is amiss in our training table .

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
Wolf needs to put the 20 pounds back on for next season. His best chance for minutes are at the 5.

Same site lists Ogbole at 6’11” 242.

Reactions: Scangg
Yeah he's gotta be closer to 342 than 242 ha. Dude is a beast

What I saw in Ogbole was a big , muscular man close to 6’10-6’11” and most likely in the 260 lb. -270 range. If nothing else he has still not played.

no reason to burn a year for anyone at this point.
This kid is a JUCO transfer, and won’t be here for 3 years. With the portal, you play guys if they can help you win, period. No reason to “save” him.

Against Michigan, which has a bunch of big guys, we may very well need him tomorrow.

I will be very surprised if Ogbole or J Williams play tomorrow. If by chance they actually do I would be very curious to how Pikiell subs in and out. Not having J Williams all year and lacking a step up shooter has cost us at minimum 4-5 more wins.

I will be very surprised if Ogbole or J Williams play tomorrow. If by chance they actually do I would be very curious to how Pikiell subs in and out. Not having J Williams all year and lacking a step up shooter has cost us at minimum 4-5 more wins.
Williams is not a step up shooter. He is a great defender but he is fairly offensively challenged. He is a good player but not the difference in 4-5 more wins.

Williams is not a step up shooter. He is a great defender but he is fairly offensively challenged. He is a good player but not the difference in 4-5 more wins.
NEVER said J Williams was the step up shooter… he is a guy who can involve others…. Too many on this board read and see what they want to see…

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
This kid is a JUCO transfer, and won’t be here for 3 years. With the portal, you play guys if they can help you win, period. No reason to “save” him.

Against Michigan, which has a bunch of big guys, we may very well need him tomorrow.
next year's class is signed (and DH will), so possibly winning an extra game or two this year doesn't matter. And, how do you know he's any good anyway ? Last year I was the only one who said Chol would never be anything more than a garbage time player....that view drew every homer to reject the opinion, but guess what...

no reason to burn a year for anyone at this point.
“No reason to burn a year for anyone now” gets rebuted the next year by “would have been nice to get him some game minutes last year when the results didnt matter as much” … see: Sheppard

next year's class is signed (and DH will), so possibly winning an extra game or two this year doesn't matter. And, how do you know he's any good anyway ? Last year I was the only one who said Chol would never be anything more than a garbage time player....that view drew every homer to reject the opinion, but guess what...
Not saying Ogbole is the next Myles Johnson or anything.

But he is a physical specimen at 6-11, 260 (approx.), and he should be able to provide a few minutes and a few fouls while Cliff is on the bench. Michigan will play multiple bigs at the same time, so we might see the return of the Cliff/Woolf tandem up front, making it more likely that Ogbole would be needed for a few minutes each half.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUShea and Scangg
Not saying Ogbole is the next Myles Johnson of anything.

But he is a physical specimen at 6-11, 260 (approx.), and he should be able to provide a few minutes and a few fouls while Cliff is on the bench. Michigan will play multiple bigs at the same time, so we might see the return of the Cliff/Woolf tandem up front, making it more likely that Ogbole would be needed for a few minutes each half.
Yuppp I hate how any mention of Ogbole contributing anything at all to the team is met with people saying things like slow down this guy isn't the savior. No one thinks that. Doesn't mean he can't help

Also just want to see if he shows any signs of being able to compete at this level

Yuppp I hate how any mention of Ogbole contributing anything at all to the team is met with people saying things like slow down this guy isn't the savior. No one thinks that. Doesn't mean he can't help

Also just want to see if he shows any signs of being able to compete at this level

100%

I hate when people twist / lie about what people say.

Not a single person thinks the kid will be a major contributor, let alone a savior

The question is could he help a little bit.

Don’t understand why people make this question something other than what it is

It's the same with JWill. At this point, just give me a reason to watch the games. Debuting new players would get me to watch, even if they aren't ready for prime time. Throw Chol out there for extended minutes at this point for all I care.

It's the same with JWill. At this point, just give me a reason to watch the games. Debuting new players would get me to watch, even if they aren't ready for prime time. Throw Chol out there for extended minutes at this point for all I care.
Careful of what you wish for. Gavin is NBA all defensive 1st team next to Chol

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
“No reason to burn a year for anyone now” gets rebuted the next year by “would have been nice to get him some game minutes last year when the results didnt matter as much” … see: Sheppard
Nah...not worth losing a full year on the back end for limited PT in less than half a year now. And don't buy the 'future eligibility doesn't matter now bc of the portal'...you never know who you'll get.

We have a backup for Cliff. Not a good backup, but at least as good as O would be.

Woah. Slowww down. This guy isn't the savior.

He is a typical Pike player good defender and can't shoot fits in perfectly for Pike

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT