ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Ole Miss DT set to transfer to Rutgers

6'2" 290 lbs adds some needed size to the Dline
Greg may wind up with a defense like Illinois had this past year if he transfers in a couple more or develops a few more impact players. Illinois played Michigan very close this season…and Michigan probably should be playing Monday night.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Welcome!!!

giphy.gif

Excellent!
Welcome Isaiah !
He looks much bigger than 6'2 290. Big time experience. Defense should be very good next year
this.
He is greatly needed as we lose our best DT Maijeh who had 32 Tackles last season.
Isaiah can step right in and make an impact !

Welcome Isaiah.

Right now, our hope is that Sam Brown can carry 30 times a game and keep time of possession at 30 minutes for each team. If defenses know it's coming and can't stop him, we could be OK. Either way, I'd feel better if we got an infusion of BCS transfers on offense.

Based on what? he got a DL transfer that saw very little time at Ole Miss last year?

When I see a 6'1" 375lb morbidly obese coach I question how he can possibly motivate a young man to be his best physically.
He got Tywone Malone and Davison Igbinosun to commit to Ole Miss- both were 4 star recruits.
He got Jasire Peterson and Famah Toure to commit to RU, and now Iton.
This is his first year as a position coach.

Obviously, recruits don't seem to care about a coach's weight and care more about the content of his character and coaching ability than aging grouchy dudes on message boards do.

"Marquise Watson, Rutgers, Defensive Line Coach (27)

Another returning member of the 30Under30 club, Watson is one of the fastest-rising coaches in the entire country. This is Watson’s first on-field role in the FBS. But it’s actually his third job on the field since graduating from Bryant. Watson spent the last two years at Ole Miss. He served as a GA in 2020 before jumping to a senior analyst role in 2021. Watson also served as the Rebels’ d-line coach for the 2020 Outback Bowl. This is Watson’s second stint at Rutgers. He was a defensive assistant for his home-state program in 2018. Watson played linebacker and defensive tackle in college and has also spent time coaching running backs in his career. "

He got Tywone Malone and Davison Igbinosun to commit to Ole Miss- both were 4 star recruits.

Obviously, recruits don't seem to care about a coach's weight and care more about the content of his character and coaching ability than aging grouchy dudes on message boards do.

Another returning member of the 30Under30 club, Watson is one of the fastest-rising coaches in the entire country. This is Watson’s first on-field role in the FBS. But it’s actually his third job on the field since graduating from Bryant. Watson spent the last two years at Ole Miss. He served as a GA in 2020 before jumping to a senior analyst role in 2021. Watson also served as the Rebels’ d-line coach for the 2020 Outback Bowl. This is Watson’s second stint at Rutgers. He was a defensive assistant for his home-state program in 2018. Watson played linebacker and defensive tackle in college and has also spent time coaching running backs in his career. "

Peterson committed to RU before Watson came here, he then decommitted and committed again when the grass was not greener on the other side. Toure is a legacy and that had much more to do with it than Watson or any other coach besides Schiano.

In addition Watson NEVER played LB at RU , so there goes any credibility to that article.

Peterson committed to RU before Watson came here, he then decommitted and committed again when the grass was not greener on the other side. Toure is a legacy and that had much more to do with it than Watson or any other coach besides Schiano.

In addition Watson NEVER played LB at RU , so there goes any credibility to that article.
Haters gonna hate.
The article never said a thing about playing LB at Rutgers. It said "at college."

And for a while Toure was leaning towards Illinois. Give credit where it is due.

More accolades for Watson:
"Sophomore defensive lineman Kyonte Hamilton noted what stands out about Watson in his first season at Rutgers.

“It’s amazing. I love coach Watson, he’s been one of my favorite coaches here,” Hamilton said on Wednesday.
“He looks out for his guys to make sure we’re always prepared. We’re always ready; he stays on top of us…gives us great technique. He’s an amazing coach.”

The play of the defensive line has certainly stood out this season. Aaron Lewis has emerged as one of the top edge rushers in the Big Ten and Hamilton has continued to develop after a strong freshman season in 2021."

So if we get a nice player, it's relationships.. If they commit elsewhere, it's NIL.. 🤔

I think player also knows he can see the field at RU
He was a 4* recruit (Rivals) but in three years he has only 9 solo tackles and 1.5 sacks.

He was a 4* recruit (Rivals) but in three years he has only 9 solo tackles and 1.5 sacks.
So its a number of reasons why a player may pick a school.. It ain't all NIL?

Thanks for posting.
Completely dispels AM clock’s ridiculous comment about a big man not being able to recruit.

So its a number of reasons why a player may pick a school.. It ain't all NIL?

I don't follow NIL
To me its like crypto, NFTs etc - more heat than light.
A couple goofballs with NIL deals will crime spree and then the "wait a minute" u-turns will kick in.
This DT isn't a NIL candidate
Ole Miss might be glad he's opened-up a slot

Sounds like Ole Miss was rotating 10 defensive linemen which could limit individual production. I think he will start from day one.

If memory serves me right wasn't Malone's decision also on wanting to play baseball too which ole miss had some good teams/facilities there? (I don't follow baseball, just remember his recruitment at the time)

If memory serves me right wasn't Malone's decision also on wanting to play baseball too which ole miss had some good teams/facilities there? (I don't follow baseball, just remember his recruitment at the time)
Yes it was.
Would be nice to get Malone to transfer back home.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT