ADVERTISEMENT

On3.com: "NBA Draft: Five under-the-radar recruits who could be one-and-done players"

NickRU714

Heisman Winner
Aug 18, 2009
Came across this article looking ahead to next year's draft.
Familiar name on the list.
This is what some of us have said.
As the last line says - IF things break right, Gavin checks a few boxes for a NBA draft pick sooner than later.

NBA Draft: Five under-the-radar recruits who could be one-and-done players

Rutgers SF Gavin Griffiths​

Height/Weight:6-8/195-pounds
High School: West Hartford (CT) Kingswood-Oxford High
On3 150: No. 33 / On3 Industry Ranking: No. 43

Gavin Griffiths is a noted sharp-shooter, and basketball has a good track record in the NBA Draft with 6-foot-8-plus players who can really shoot the ball. Griffiths fell under the radar because of an injury he suffered toward the end of his junior year. Griffiths missed multiple months recovering after being poked in the eye, it took him a few months after that to regain his strength and balance, as well as get used to playing in goggles.

As his senior season progressed, Griffiths continued to pick up right where he left off. He has positional size, with good length and sneaky burst toward the rim. As he continues to add on weight, he has the mindset and the frame to be a solid positional team defender. He plays with toughness and brash confidence. And then there is the shooting. Griffiths is capable of stepping into his shots, knocking down jumpers off two-dribble pull-ups, and getting set and shooting off movement. How quickly he gets caught up to the speed of the game and becomes familiar with his teammate will play a role here, but Griffiths checks a few boxes.

Anyway Gavin can be good, but not ~too~ good his freshman year lol? Need him as a two-and-done. The perfect fit alongside Harper and Ace
That's what we need. Have his true next level break out in year 2 so we can get that magical '24 season

That's what we need. Have his true next level break out in year 2 so we can get that magical '24 season
I’m not betting on a magical 24 season just yet. Cliff will be gone along with a great deal of court experience including PG Fernandes.

Remember that Sellers/Dabney went 15-11 freshman year and they had some senior leadership on that team with John Somogyi and Gene Armstead averaging 20 and 14 points against a mediocre schedule.

Experienced teams do well in the tourney imo. But 24 will be exciting. I think that Pike will do well with that group. He is an excellent Coach imo and could take them far.

I’m not betting on a magical 24 season just yet. Cliff will be gone along with a great deal of court experience including PG Fernandes.

Remember that Sellers/Dabney went 15-11 freshman year and they had some senior leadership on that team with John Somogyi and Gene Armstead averaging 20 and 14 points against a mediocre schedule.

Experienced teams do well in the tourney imo. But 24 will be exciting. I think that Pike will do well with that group. He is an excellent Coach imo and could take them far.
Not too worried about the loss of Fernandes with Dylan coming in (would expect him to be our dominant ball handler), plus both Simpson and J Mike a year older.

Agree that center is the spot of concern, can’t rely on Woolfolk / frosh Sommerville to be the anchor. Here’s hoping we can lure Cliff back with NIL or land a proven transfer

Harper / Simpson / Griffiths / Ace / Cliff or portal 5, to go with decent depth has all the makings of a magical team though

Not too worried about the loss of Fernandes with Dylan coming in (would expect him to be our dominant ball handler), plus both Simpson and J Mike a year older.

Agree that center is the spot of concern, can’t rely on Woolfolk / frosh Sommerville to be the anchor. Here’s hoping we can lure Cliff back with NIL or land a proven transfer

Harper / Simpson / Griffiths / Ace / Cliff or portal 5, to go with decent depth has all the makings of a magical team though
With Gavin, Ace and Dylan we just need Ogbole/Lathan/Wolf to defend and grab rebounds next season. If Ogbole can just become a defensive stopper with his size and wingspan, it would be incredible.

If Gavin is a definite / probable 1st round pick, he should leave for NBA. . If he stays for a 2nd year, I would think it’ll be quite difficult that his stats improve vastly - given our 2 other alphas - Dylan and Ace.
Regardless great times ahead and great problems to have !

It's going to be the most exciting team in most Rutgers fans lifetime. I think we likely add experience via the portal to go with the young studs

Fair analysis . Will be good to find out. The game and environment has changed from 50 years ago . Lots of teams with Star freshman have led them to the final 4 . Lots of teams with star freshman are a mess

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT