ADVERTISEMENT

One thing lost in last night's loss.

RU-05

Heisman Winner
Jun 25, 2015
Is the game from Cliff.

12 pts- 12 reb, 4 offensive, 6-9 fg. 2 blocks, 1 steal. Only 1 PF.

Knocked down another outside shot, signaling that this could be a dependable part of his game (next step would be the ability to put the ball on the floor and attack the rim).

If people were questioning the teams effort, I think it's fare to say that Cliff played against that trend.

In one of the other threads there was some wondering as to where offense will come from next season once the likes of Harper and Baker move on, well Cliff is definitely a guy who I'd expect to see take some of that offensive workload.

Cliff has made terrific progress this year.

Two more years of improvement and he could potentially be the kind of elite player people envisioned.
I admit I was a little skeptical last year.

But I again point to the outside shot making. Clear signal of a player who is able to expand his game, as that was just not something we saw much of last year.

I've really liked his D, I like the rebounding, we know he can dunk, but can he be a guy who can generate offense in other ways? These shots signal yes. And I do expect to see drives to the basket in time a well.

The opposing center, Harrar, was their leading scorer with 16 points on 6-8 shooting though.
Good point. I thought Harrar made a couple tough shots that Cliff defended well. I think he also had a couple baskets where Cliff was help defending.

So I don't want to look at those #'s and say Cliff didn't defend well, but those #'s shouldn't be written off either.

Edit: Though I'll quibble and point out Sessoms was their leading scorer with 17.

Reactions: Danprusa_4
Cliff's offense is coming along very nicely. He is still a work in progress on defense. He was out of position more than a few times last night. That is the one area where we really miss Myles. But, I think Cliff will continue to improve and ultimately be a much better all-around big man. (And, I'm a huge Myles fan).

Cliff's offense is coming along very nicely. He is still a work in progress on defense. He was out of position more than a few times last night. That is the one area where we really miss Myles. But, I think Cliff will continue to improve and ultimately be a much better all-around big man. (And, I'm a huge Myles fan).

Cliff is far ahead of where Myles was at a similar point in their development.

Sessoms killed us and blew past Geo.
It's one game, but Sessoms played really well, looked like a good player. He's short, so that is clearly why he had to go the small school-transfer route, but his efficiancy #'s this year are fantastic. Much better than his #'s from back in Bing, and much much better than his #'s last year with PSU. 49.6% fg. 45.9% 3pt. 75% ft. 11.9 ppg in 28 mpg this year.

Another point to PSU being a better team than we give them credit for.

Reactions: Danprusa_4
do you think he's sticking around with no supporting cast...I'm not saying he is or isn't, as I have no idea...but would you if you were Cliff
He might relish the opportunity to be the focal point of the offense.

Plus, Mulcahy will be back, and that again is a positive for Cliff. Caleb will also be back. Mag should eventually be back on the court.

Figure the young guys continue to develop. To some extent at least.

My biggest concern with Cliff is his defense. I am surprised that he is not further along. That being said, I think his future is very bright.

Reactions: 1coastalknight
Cliff still has a ton of potential. He had a good game but it could’ve been so much better, especially against one of the smaller teams in the B1G.

As mentioned above his hands are not great. I think he had 3 easy opportunities to score where he couldn’t hold onto the ball.

He also had that mindless inbounding error when he stepped on the end line.

Lastly, and maybe most important, he needs to learn how to box out better. For someone who’s only been playing hoops for a few years, it’s apparent that he got used to just jumping for rebounds before putting a body on his man.

I love having Cliff on the team and I can foresee just how good he can really be for us. He’s all effort out there, and that counts for a lot.

Reactions: 1coastalknight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT