ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2018-19 NY Mets Offseason "Hot Stove" Thread

Other things equal, IMO it means 135 over 5 is fair for deGrom. The reason is that the Mets still control deGrom for this year and next. They have no real incentive to extend now, and will need to get a discount in order to do so.

If deGrom is not extended and has a dominant year in 2019, then 145 over 5 would be a fair extension going into 2020, when the Mets only have one year of control left.
I had suggested five years at $135M. The Mets kicked in an extra $2.5M. I trust this will forever dispel the myth of the Wilpons being cheap![winking]

How does Jacob's deal stack up to those of other recently signed pitchers such as Sale?
Sale got $145M over 5 years. But Sale was only one year away from free agency while deGrom was two. So there's a discount factor for that. I thought $135M over 5 would have been fair, so I'm good with $137.5M.

I like the options symmetry. deGrom can opt out one year early, and if he does not, the Mets can exercise an option to keep him one year more.

Sale got $145M over 5 years. But Sale was only one year away from free agency while deGrom was two. So there's a discount factor for that. I thought $135M over 5 would have been fair, so I'm good with $137.5M.

I like the options symmetry. deGrom can opt out one year early, and if he does not, the Mets can exercise an option to keep him one year more.
The options are the slick part of the contract that protects both sides.

I am concerned with the deferred money. Its crazy that roughly half the contract will be deferred ($52.5mil).

Last edited:
What are you concerned about, it favors the team far more than the player

My guess is that the team has to fund an annuity as the contract is earned. No way the player would want to become a general creditor should the team belly up. So something is being paid now.

It's the reason why I don't think their that far away from the playoffs again. Two moves,a solid catcher and closer, I believe everything else is either ready to develop into Major League players or can be obtained in the off season.
It's early, but I just thought they may have had the best winter moves of any team.

Hopefully, Nimmo is fine. That's my biggest concern right now. We need Todd Frazier and Travis D'arnaud back shortly and when will Lowrie get healthy? Need Todd back so we can farm JD Davis and I can't stomach Tomas Nido - thus the need for Travis. Would be nice if Dom Smith could play the OF to get him more AB's......

Hopefully, Nimmo is fine. That's my biggest concern right now. We need Todd Frazier and Travis D'arnaud back shortly and when will Lowrie get healthy? Need Todd back so we can farm JD Davis and I can't stomach Tomas Nido - thus the need for Travis. Would be nice if Dom Smith could play the OF to get him more AB's......
Agree 100% with all you just said.I can't believe they don't have a catcher in the organization that has passed Nido yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT