ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2018-19 NY Mets Offseason "Hot Stove" Thread

Disabled list?

It's now called the injured list. It was bought to MLB's attention that their players are injured not disabled by an advocate group for disabled people. MLB did the right thing and changed the name.

Would be interesting to see if they would put Alonso in the two hole to break up the lefty lineup of Nimmo, McNeil, Cano and Conforto. Normally I am not a fan of rookies batting high in the order when they first come up but they need to unstack the lefties in the lineup. Getting Lowrie back eventually will help in the 2 spot but with the Mets luck he could be gone half a season.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Negotiations between the Mets and ace Jacob deGrom are ongoing, with optimism in some corners that the sides will reach a deal by next Thursday's self-imposed deadline.

As of Monday morning, an agreement was not imminent, but the Mets and deGrom's reps continued to hammer away behind the scenes. SNY has previously reported that deGrom is seeking a deal of approximately five years and $150 million; it is not known what type of deal the sides are currently discussing.

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/mets-jacob ... /305365472

Negotiations between the Mets and ace Jacob deGrom are ongoing, with optimism in some corners that the sides will reach a deal by next Thursday's self-imposed deadline.

As of Monday morning, an agreement was not imminent, but the Mets and deGrom's reps continued to hammer away behind the scenes. SNY has previously reported that deGrom is seeking a deal of approximately five years and $150 million; it is not known what type of deal the sides are currently discussing.

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/mets-jacob ... /305365472
This should settle down all the worrying by Yankee fans so concerned about the Mets this spring. I never realized getting a new GM, with new ideas and direction, would put such concern in that fanbase.

Hoping they get it done with deGrom before the season. 5 years $150 sounds about right and a good deal for both sides. And then lock up Thor during the season if he stays healthy with a Nola/LS type contract.

As for the Met's and how they are doing during the spring...there is really nothing to not like. Maybe JL as a starting CF if that is what the plan is. But EVERYONE else is swinging the bats great and the pitching looks very solid.

Hoping they get it done with deGrom before the season. 5 years $150 sounds about right and a good deal for both sides. And then lock up Thor during the season if he stays healthy with a Nola/LS type contract.

As for the Met's and how they are doing during the spring...there is really nothing to not like. Maybe JL as a starting CF if that is what the plan is. But EVERYONE else is swinging the bats great and the pitching looks very solid.

The bullpen has not looked good. Hopefully just spring training and the team is trying different combination of pitchers.

Mesoraco, Davis and Hech can all opt out starting today if they get MLB offers; Mets then would have until Friday to purchase their contracts. Could be an interesting day as we inch towards Opening Day next Thursday!!

Other than starting pitching, can someone do a position by position analysis for offense and defense with their opinion on whether Mets have upgraded or downgraded?
I will start at catcher- Ramos on upgrade on offense and defense?
1B
2B
SS
3B
LF
CF
RF

Other than starting pitching, can someone do a position by position analysis for offense and defense with their opinion on whether Mets have upgraded or downgraded?
I will start at catcher- Ramos on upgrade on offense and defense?
1B
2B
SS
3B
LF
CF
RF
Upgrade on offense and defense at, C,2B,"SS,a year older".Upgrade on offense at 1B, 3B, LF or RF,where ever Conforto plays because he's a another year removed from the surgery.Better backend of the bullpen. All and all, I'm thinking a 85-90 win team with a wild card bid.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I missed it, what happened to Daily News Live?

Cancelled. Assuming Daily News didn't want to sponsor it anymore might have cost them too much. They have that baseball show on now which is basically the same thing.

Some very pleasant surprises this year that I see. Havent been able to watch enough so mostly by stats. But wondering what the team will do with the following...

Both Davis's. Broxton and Guillorme(obviously the minors but really looks good)

Also love how Cano/McNeil(though, I hope zero walks is just him trying to get his swing going) Comforto/Nimmo/Rosario/Ramos and both 1b- though Smith's lack of power still baffles me for his size.

Team has depth. I think we keep our speed at the top of the lineup. When Cespeded comes back he is in the 3 hole. If we face tough lefties Lagares can play CF. Lots of flexibility with this lineup. Should be a great year.

Reactions: redking
Team has depth. I think we keep our speed at the top of the lineup. When Cespeded comes back he is in the 3 hole. If we face tough lefties Lagares can play CF. Lots of flexibility with this lineup. Should be a great year.
I sometimes like "teams" without a bunch of superstars on it. Though, Comforto may step into the role quickly but love that he would be home grown. But for the first time in a while- it looks more like a group that likes to play baseball.
And we may also be able to say that once we have a lead going into the 8th- we feel like we can shut them down. Matz is a bit concerning but if Vargas can come back, that helps a ton. Thor/Wheeler/deGrom - please just stay healthy.
Not sure if Cespedes come back this year or not but if he comes back for 2nd half and his bat is working...it will crowd the OF but may also allow for moves to happen.
Should be a fun year and not just waiting for a HR to score runs.

Reactions: Yeah Baby
I sometimes like "teams" without a bunch of superstars on it. Though, Comforto may step into the role quickly but love that he would be home grown. But for the first time in a while- it looks more like a group that likes to play baseball.
And we may also be able to say that once we have a lead going into the 8th- we feel like we can shut them down. Matz is a bit concerning but if Vargas can come back, that helps a ton. Thor/Wheeler/deGrom - please just stay healthy.
Not sure if Cespedes come back this year or not but if he comes back for 2nd half and his bat is working...it will crowd the OF but may also allow for moves to happen.
Should be a fun year and not just waiting for a HR to score runs.
I went to the Mets v Dodgers game 2 years ago and every run by both teams was a HR. Still had fun but I want Mookie back.

Reactions: yesrutgers01

Depth for the bats not so much for the pitching. It gets scary after the big 3 of deGrom, Thor, and Wheeler. Also same goes for bullpen after Diaz, Familia, and Lugo.

But wondering what the team will do with the following...

Both Davis's. Broxton and Guillorme(obviously the minors but really looks good)
JD Davis and Broxton are near-locks to make the team IMO. Rajai Davis will start in Syracuse. His contract allowed him an out if he were claimed by Friday, but he went unclaimed. Guillorme has a great chance to make the team as it was announced today that Hechavarria is Syracuse-bound.

Mets also announced today that Santiago, Mesoraco, O'Rourke, and Gomez have been assigned to Cuse. Mesoraco has requested his release, but the Mets are under no obligation to honor his request.

In the Mets continuing quest to sign every available backup position player, today they announced that they're bringing back none other than Ruben Tejada! Minor league deal. He will report to extended spring training, and I guess we'll see what happens from there.

So what does Sale getting 145 over 5 mean for DeGrom? Seems to be about same age and Jason has been as durable if not more.

So what does Sale getting 145 over 5 mean for DeGrom? Seems to be about same age and Jason has been as durable if not more.
Other things equal, IMO it means 135 over 5 is fair for deGrom. The reason is that the Mets still control deGrom for this year and next. They have no real incentive to extend now, and will need to get a discount in order to do so.

If deGrom is not extended and has a dominant year in 2019, then 145 over 5 would be a fair extension going into 2020, when the Mets only have one year of control left.

Other things equal, IMO it means 135 over 5 is fair for deGrom. The reason is that the Mets still control deGrom for this year and next. They have no real incentive to extend now, and will need to get a discount in order to do so.

If deGrom is not extended and has a dominant year in 2019, then 145 over 5 would be a fair extension going into 2020, when the Mets only have one year of control left.
Under certain circumstances, I agree. But the Mets always **** these things up. Their problem, they are f-d a million times over if deGrom walks in 2 years. BoSox could survive without Sale, Mets fail completely without deGrom. And may be the final last straw with many fans.
That extra $10mil could be worth it for the Mets.

NY Post reports that last weeks optimism from deGrom on an extention is completely faded. Looks like he will have to wait till next year.

Under certain circumstances, I agree. But the Mets always **** these things up. Their problem, they are f-d a million times over if deGrom walks in 2 years. BoSox could survive without Sale, Mets fail completely without deGrom. And may be the final last straw with many fans.
That extra $10mil could be worth it for the Mets.
What things? Failing to pay their superstars and letting them walk? Let's see the experience of the last decade. Only four instances come to mind:

David Wright - They paid him, and it clearly was a mistake. Nobody's fault, no one could have anticipated his health problems. But still, the wrong decision.

Jose Reyes - They didn't pay him. Clearly the correct decision. He was coming off a career year and it was downhill from there.

Yoenis Cespedes - They paid him. Jury is still out, but it sure looks like the wrong decision.

Matt Harvey - There was a lot of talk about extending him after the 2015 season, three years early! They didn't. Good decision.

You know what the Mets problem is in this area? Due to bad drafting and player development, they haven't had enough top quality players worth paying! So I guess you could make the case that now that you finally have one, better pay him.

But given the experience I've outlined above, you can see why the Wilpons would be cautious. They may be thinking "Let's see him do it again - and stay healthy - one more year. If he does, and the price goes up, so be it." A perfectly rational viewpoint IMO - IF they are willing to pay up next year!

Reactions: redking
File this one under "Could be nothing, could be something".

Mets announced that the Wilpons have completed a stock buyback from minority owners Comcast and Charter Communications. They bought back 16% of the teams stock, raising their ownership share from 52% to 68%, at a price of $180 million.

So, why should we care? Well, hopefully we won't have to. But maybe we will. Because here's the thing - it was reportedly a straight cash transaction. The Wilpons liquidity has been decreased by $180M. They have $180M less spending money than they had before.

Implications for Mets future payroll, and long term signings of deGrom and others? Who knows? Could be nothing, could be something.

Here is the stupidity of all this. In the world of baseball where utility infielders get $10 per year, the Met's are alienating a large portion of fans and pissing off their two top players over this.
To me, it almost feels like they hope deGrom has a bad year...so, all of the back and forth really doesn't matter, the economics of it doesn't matter, perception is reality.
I am going to be pissed off every time he pitches this year instead of being excited.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Here is the stupidity of all this. In the world of baseball where utility infielders get $10 per year, the Met's are alienating a large portion of fans and pissing off their two top players over this.
To me, it almost feels like they hope deGrom has a bad year...so, all of the back and forth really doesn't matter, the economics of it doesn't matter, perception is reality.
I am going to be pissed off every time he pitches this year instead of being excited.
Penny wise, but pound foolish.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Going to the Mets vs Orioles spring training game today in Sarasota. Mets took a 3 hour bus trip yesterday to get here then head to Syracuse NY for workouts, then on to Washington for the opener.

They work out tomorrow at the Dome in Syracuse. Seems like a strange place for a MLB team to train.

Going to the Mets vs Orioles spring training game today in Sarasota. Mets took a 3 hour bus trip yesterday to get here then head to Syracuse NY for workouts, then on to Washington for the opener.

They work out tomorrow at the Dome in Syracuse. Seems like a strange place for a MLB team to train.

They were extending an olive branch to the new AAA team and fans there but the timing is all very dumb per usual with the Mets.

They were extending an olive branch to the new AAA team and fans there but the timing is all very dumb per usual with the Mets.
Timing is beyond stupid. And they aren't even going to the minor league complex. They are going to the run down Dome.
Non of it makes any sense and the players have been complaining about it from day 1 and management doesn't care.

File this one under "Could be nothing, could be something".

Mets announced that the Wilpons have completed a stock buyback from minority owners Comcast and Charter Communications. They bought back 16% of the teams stock, raising their ownership share from 52% to 68%, at a price of $180 million.

So, why should we care? Well, hopefully we won't have to. But maybe we will. Because here's the thing - it was reportedly a straight cash transaction. The Wilpons liquidity has been decreased by $180M. They have $180M less spending money than they had before.

Implications for Mets future payroll, and long term signings of deGrom and others? Who knows? Could be nothing, could be something.

Do you have a link to an article for this? I'd like to read more about it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT