ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2018-19 NY Mets Offseason "Hot Stove" Thread

I just saw that D. Smith has given up 8 hits and 3 walks in 4 innings but no earned runs...he did give up 2 unearned but even so-almost 3 baserunners an inning and they don't score- just very strange.

He's also having Tommy John surgery so need to worry about him.

Wait, it wasn't that long ago that you and other Yankee fans were defending that the Yankees don't have the highest payroll and get more bang for their buck than the Mets and the fact the Mets were the 6th highest payroll and still suck,lol. Can't have it both ways,which is it?
Dude, put down the crack pipe. That was the 2018 season. It was that long ago as Yankees were trying to stay under the cap. And yes we can have it both ways. Mets are ignoring the Cy Young winner because they are cheap. Have they even made an offer yet? Clock is ticking.

Dude, put down the crack pipe. That was the 2018 season. It was that long ago as Yankees were trying to stay under the cap. And yes we can have it both ways. Mets are ignoring the Cy Young winner because they are cheap. Have they even made an offer yet? Clock is ticking.

deGrom said yesterday he is very optimistic that they will work out a new contract so take that as you will.

That is actually good news. He has been a little short answering questions of late. Sounds like there is some movement.
IMO, There wont be extention before the deadline, adding to the endless line of screwups by the Mets.

Great. I'm do for a trip to Citi Field
Hope you don't get pointed out like I did at a Jets game one year. I'm a Giants fan, not a Jets fan like most Mets fans I know. So after a day long tailgate with a bunch of my buddies getting ready for a Dolphin- Jets game, in the pouring rain,{the reason they had an extra ticket},when both teams sucked,we're in a almost empty end zone section. At one point a couple of our drunks decide it's a good time to tell the surrounding fans I'm a Giants fan, just here because of a free ticket, cold beers and BBQ. Needless to say, for awhile I heard more Giants Suck chants than I'd care to remember.:flushed:. I'm sure the Wilpons will spare no expense to make a visiting Yankee fan's experience at Citi Field a "Knight" to remember,lol.

Hope you don't get pointed out like I did at a Jets game one year. I'm a Giants fan, not a Jets fan like most Mets fans I know. So after a day long tailgate with a bunch of my buddies getting ready for a Dolphin- Jets game, in the pouring rain,{the reason they had an extra ticket},when both teams sucked,we're in a almost empty end zone section. At one point a couple of our drunks decide it's a good time to tell the surrounding fans I'm a Giants fan, just here because of a free ticket, cold beers and BBQ. Needless to say, for awhile I heard more Giants Suck chants than I'd care to remember.:flushed:. I'm sure the Wilpons will spare no expense to make a visiting Yankee fan's experience at Citi Field a "Knight" to remember,lol.
The only place I wear Yankee gear is Yankee Stadium.

So MLB Network is leading off with a question. Is the NL East the best division in baseball. Easily not better than the AL East but in the NL, may be yes.
Certainly the most intersting.

So MLB Network is leading off with a question. Is the NL East the best division in baseball. Easily not better than the AL East but in the NL, may be yes.
Certainly the most intersting.

They're very close but I'll give slight edge to the NL East. Marlins and Orioles awful. After that you have Blue Jays who are a little better but won't compete yet. Rays are good but with them you never know and then Yanks and Red Sox are loaded with Sox coming off a historic year but no bullpen. Yanks are the favorites in the league to me. NL East can go to Nats, Phillies, Braves, or Mets.

They're very close but I'll give slight edge to the NL East. Marlins and Orioles awful. After that you have Blue Jays who are a little better but won't compete yet. Rays are good but with them you never know and then Yanks and Red Sox are loaded with Sox coming off a historic year but no bullpen. Yanks are the favorites in the league to me. NL East can go to Nats, Phillies, Braves, or Mets.
No two teams in the NL East can win 100 games. Yankees did by losing way to many games last year to Baltimore and Tampa. NL East last trip to the league championship?
The weak link to the NL East is Washington. Always good on paper, always coming up short. As for the Mets. Not so good lately. Additions might turn it around some, pitching is great but ... we will see.
Anyway it will be an interesting year

No two teams in the NL East can win 100 games. Yankees did by losing way to many games last year to Baltimore and Tampa. NL East last trip to the league championship?
The weak link to the NL East is Washington. Always good on paper, always coming up short. As for the Mets. Not so good lately. Additions might turn it around some, pitching is great but ... we will see.
Anyway it will be an interesting year

This is a muddled response. How is Washington the weak link in the NL East even though they haven't won a WS? That makes 0 sense.

This is a muddled response. How is Washington the weak link in the NL East even though they haven't won a WS? That makes 0 sense.
They underperform every year. Do you really think they are a threat to win it all??
Vegas has them 10th to win it all. Behind Cleveland and the Cubs. Two teams that did nothing to improve.

Of course they are a threat. The Yanks are a top 5 team to win it all every year but haven't been to a WS in 10 years are they a weak link?
100 wins last year, a resounding yes. The NL doesn't have a Houston or Boston.
Yanks lost to the eventual WS winner. Who did the NL East Champion lose to??

100 wins last year, a resounding yes. The NL doesn't have a Houston or Boston.
Yanks lost to the eventual WS winner. Who did the NL East Champion lose to??

Right but you keep changing the way you judge teams and/or weak links. You brought Vegas up so I responded with the same metric. We won't know if the NL has a Houston or Boston until the games are played. Houston was not what we look at them now going into the 2017 season and same with Boston last year. They were predicted to do well and then actually followed through but neither were overwhelming favorites going into the year.

Thor looked pretty good yesterday over just about 5 innings. ERA of 1.88 for the spring. If the rotation stays healthy, the team will be competitive. Still not sold on the lineup if he bats Nimmo, Conforto, Cano and McNeil together as he stated he might do. The problem is there is not a righty bat to stick into the first three slots with the players that are healthy now. I don't like Ramos in the cleanup spot but aside from batting Alonso third not sure how to solve the dilemma. Really prefer Alonso hit 7th if he sticks to keep pressure off him early on.

That would be a perfect slot for him later in the year. Again I do not want to put pressure early in the season on the young guys. I would keep Rosario 8th until he hits his way out of the slot.
Hard to do that batting 8th. Not exactly a place where you'll get much to hit. I'd rather see whoever win the CF position batting 8th. I think when Rosario turned it on last season was when he was batting leadoff.

Hard to do that batting 8th. Not exactly a place where you'll get much to hit. I'd rather see whoever win the CF position batting 8th. I think when Rosario turned it on last season was when he was batting leadoff.
Let's hope you are right. Rosario could be a weapon if he can down on the strikeouts.

Looks like we are getting ourselves into good position leading up to the season. guys we need to hit are hitting and only Matz is struggling on the mound. Even Vargas is pitching lights out. Thor looks to be on a mission, Wheeler is coming on very strong and even though deGrom is not dominate this spring, he looks like he is just out there to warm up and try new things against college level hitter. Except they are professionals. Our two big offensive pickups are crushing the ball, Nimmo/Comforto/Rosario/McNeil are looking like they are all ready for the next step in their careers and who would have though that D Smith/Alonso would be a battle of two sluggers instead of a battle of two not yet ready but have to keep one of them?

Looks like we are getting ourselves into good position leading up to the season. guys we need to hit are hitting and only Matz is struggling on the mound. Even Vargas is pitching lights out. Thor looks to be on a mission, Wheeler is coming on very strong and even though deGrom is not dominate this spring, he looks like he is just out there to warm up and try new things against college level hitter. Except they are professionals. Our two big offensive pickups are crushing the ball, Nimmo/Comforto/Rosario/McNeil are looking like they are all ready for the next step in their careers and who would have though that D Smith/Alonso would be a battle of two sluggers instead of a battle of two not yet ready but have to keep one of them?
Stop with the fake news, you know there are many lurking in this thread,just waiting to get on the "bus",lol.

+1
Matz looks to be in mid-season form. But as a reminder, spring training performance is essentially meaningless, for good or bad.

+1
Matz looks to be in mid-season form. But as a reminder, spring training performance is essentially meaningless, for good or bad.
Yeah but he seems to not have put it together yet. I’m hoping he is doing more to work on pitches rather than worry about the result. But getting to the point as spring is closing down soon, that he needs to throw a solid 5 inning outing.
But in all seriousness, IF we can stay relatively healthy, this could be a very good team.
And poised to be in even better shape in 2020 if Cespedis can come back healthy. Would love to lock deGrom and Thor down though as I don’t think we keep Wheeler. But if they could figure out how to do that...it would be huge.
The young middle infielders also look very good but obviously going back down to start the season.

+1
Yeah but he seems to not have put it together yet. I’m hoping he is doing more to work on pitches rather than worry about the result. But getting to the point as spring is closing down soon, that he needs to throw a solid 5 inning outing.
But in all seriousness, IF we can stay relatively healthy, this could be a very good team.
And poised to be in even better shape in 2020 if Cespedis can come back healthy. Would love to lock deGrom and Thor down though as I don’t think we keep Wheeler. But if they could figure out how to do that...it would be huge.
The young middle infielders also look very good but obviously going back down to start the season.
Guiillorme(sp) has had a very strong spring.

So, the Met's 1B comp has become interesting with the 2 young kids. But that leads me to questions about Smith. You look at his size and playing a corner and his lack of HR production is both concerning and surprising. On the other hand, for the most part, he has been a hitting machine and a doubles maker.
Where does that leave him? Will his HR production get better with major league coaching/experience and maturing or is he going to be at best a .290/20/80 type of guy in his productive years? He obviously isn't a defensive wizard either so can you/we live with that at 1B or LF?

So, the Met's 1B comp has become interesting with the 2 young kids. But that leads me to questions about Smith. You look at his size and playing a corner and his lack of HR production is both concerning and surprising. On the other hand, for the most part, he has been a hitting machine and a doubles maker.
Where does that leave him? Will his HR production get better with major league coaching/experience and maturing or is he going to be at best a .290/20/80 type of guy in his productive years? He obviously isn't a defensive wizard either so can you/we live with that at 1B or LF?
The risk in trading him is that what if the DH is then enacted? You could use both of them as Alonso would make an ideal DH.

Reactions: redking
The risk in trading him is that what if the DH is then enacted? You could use both of them as Alonso would make an ideal DH.
Understood but if Smith's potential is to be a mediocre 1B and put up .280/20/80 at 1B...don't they sort of come a dime a dozen?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT