ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2020 NY Jets Off Season Thread

Just a summary for those that don’t want to read the whole thread. —
Apparently, Al Gore did not invent the internet. It was Joe Flacco. And the Jets just signed Lesley Gore to a one year contract.

As a Giants fan Jamal Adams reminds me of Beckham. He has all the talent in the world just a diva attitude. To many athletes are acting like this nowadays.

What Adams said: "I want to be traded".

What Adams meant: "I want more money".

He better get ready to play

Darnold is going to get pulverized with the tough schedule and porous OL

The line has been atrocious the past few years.

But there is reason to hope it could be decent this year. Douglass signed 4 o-linemen this offseason and drafted a 6'7", 365 lb beast that runs a 5.1 40 in Mekhi Becton in the 1st round.

Jets get a #1 in 2021 and 2022, a #3 in 2021, and safety Bradley McDougald. Seahawks get Adams and a #4 in 2022.

Excellent trade by Jets. That's a QB haul for a strong safety. Yes, Adams is the best strong safety in the league. Doesn't matter. It's not a premium position, and in a salary cap league you can't break the bank at that position.

Reactions: Greg2020
A very jet-like move by Seattle...hope it ruins them...

A very jet-like move by Seattle...hope it ruins them...

Except it's not. You hope you can pick a pro bowler with those picks. Seattle now has that pro bowler. Doesn't even factor in two of those picks are 2021 when who knows what the draft or prior season will look like...thus making the picks that much harder to hit on.

If they didn't want to sign Adams should have traded him before this prior draft and helped the team now. Instead Douglas held, someone like CeeDee Lamb is in Dallas and the Jets have to hope they hit in a pandemic...and let's be honest they are the Jets so they won't.

Adams is an exceptional player but the jets are better off without him. He talked a great game about being the ultimate team player but at the end of the day didn’t want to abide by his contract and did his best to create a toxic environment.

While Adams is a great player he reminds me of Odell. A diva type player. Guys like him wouldn’t last years ago

Jets killed that trade. Two first round picks and a third for a malcontent who wants to be paid like an elite DE. He’s a great player but we were 16-32 with him. Take the two picks and continue to build the lines. Well done Douglas.

Except it's not. You hope you can pick a pro bowler with those picks. Seattle now has that pro bowler. Doesn't even factor in two of those picks are 2021 when who knows what the draft or prior season will look like...thus making the picks that much harder to hit on.

If they didn't want to sign Adams should have traded him before this prior draft and helped the team now. Instead Douglas held, someone like CeeDee Lamb is in Dallas and the Jets have to hope they hit in a pandemic...and let's be honest they are the Jets so they won't.
You were making a credible argument until you got to the last phrase, where you sounded less like an analyst and more like a Jet fan. Totally unfair to brand Joe Douglas with the many Jet mistakes of the past.

I would add that if prior reporting is accurate, the Jets didn't get an offer anywhere near this good prior to the 2020 draft.

And to repeat, no sense in having a Pro Bowler if you aren't going to pay him, which the Jets weren't, which I agree with. In the NFL there are five positions that you pay for: QB, WR, OT, Edge Rusher, and CB. Adams is none of those.

Reactions: Greg2020
You were making a credible argument until you got to the last phrase, where you sounded less like an analyst and more like a Jet fan. Totally unfair to brand Joe Douglas with the many Jet mistakes of the past.

I would add that if prior reporting is accurate, the Jets didn't get an offer anywhere near this good prior to the 2020 draft.

And to repeat, no sense in having a Pro Bowler if you aren't going to pay him, which the Jets weren't, which I agree with. In the NFL there are five positions that you pay for: QB, WR, OT, Edge Rusher, and CB. Adams is none of those.

Douglas is an inexperienced GM who bungled this. If you aren't going to pay him trade him before one of the best WR draft classes ever. (All that said given the past few days he did a good job to salvage the situation)

Why didn't he get better offers? Probably because the entire world, including Adams, was told he would signed to a long term extension.

If you weren't going to pay that didn't become known today. You knew it at the end of last year. Instead they will delay getting talent in yet another year with a QB on a rookie contract.

Douglas is an inexperienced GM who bungled this. If you aren't going to pay him trade him before one of the best WR draft classes ever. (All that said given the past few days he did a good job to salvage the situation)

Why didn't he get better offers? Probably because the entire world, including Adams, was told he would signed to a long term extension.

If you weren't going to pay that didn't become known today. You knew it at the end of last year. Instead they will delay getting talent in yet another year with a QB on a rookie contract.

I don’t think a single pundit out there will say the Jets could’ve gotten more before the draft. In fact, at the time, they were saying the Jets would be lucky to get a one for him. I understand the theory that the picks don’t help us this season but we’re not ready to win this year anyway.

Looking at this further, I am all the more impressed about what Douglas pulled off.

I was unaware that yesterday, Adams publicly said of Adam Gase "I don't feel like he's the right leader for this organization to reach the Promised Land..." Obviously Adams was forcing Douglas' hand. Adams had to go, which meant Douglas had no leverage. And still Douglas got back a package that surpassed everyone's expectations. Big time kudos to him.

If this were the NBA, and your superstar wants the coach gone, he's gone. The NFL is not the NBA. If you don't play a premium position, you're just one of 53.

Two #1s and a three. I didn't think he would get that much.
Thought it was a good move by Douglas. Adams is a tremendous player but I was tired of his act.
Douglas has probably been thinking this for a long time.answers the question why he pick a safety in the 3rd round this year.

odell and Adams, two LSU players. Maybe they recruit diva type players.

As a Seahawks fan, this is an easy trade to make.....drafting in the mid to late 20s every year, doesn't give you impact players and despite overpaying, the Jets historically have a horrible owner, with no backbone and will never win with Woody Johnson having anything to do with the Jets.

Adam Gase is a good game caller and play caller but any reasonable Jet fan, can always blame the malcontent player....how about the malcontent HC....????......DC Gregg Williams can't stand the guy, neither can Leveon Bell or Robby Anderson or anyone else. The NFL is full of malcontents on every roster, it's called coaching and running a franchise.

At some point, the Jets are going to have to invest money into a core group of players around Darnold. You can only keep trading for picks and trading for more picks....eventually, who is Woody Johnson going to pay money to?? Leveon Bell...??

The Jets are going to be 60 to 70M under the cap and will wind up overpaying for another Trumaine Johnson but can't pay Jamal Adams....?? If you're Seattle, it's a no Brainer trade, Adams gets a culture and fan base that supports all the malcontents and filters them through the organization....Adams is a walk in the park compared to Marshawn Lynch, Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, Michael Bennett, Percy Harvin, Golden Tate and so many others I can't even count....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT