ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2021 Tokyo Olympics Thread

Nellie Korda struggles but holds on and the US sweeps the Gold Medals in Golf.

Xander Scauffele's Dad was a world class Decathlete from Germany until he was struck and seriously injured by a drunk driver and Korda's Dad was a world class tennis player from the Czech republic. Apples don't fall far from the tree.

Nelly-Korda.jpg

xander-schauffele.jpg

Reactions: Greg2020
Nellie Korda struggles but holds on and the US sweeps the Gold Medals in Golf.

Xander Scauffele's Dad was a world class Decathlete from Germany until he was struck and seriously injured by a drunk driver and Korda's Dad was a world class tennis player from the Czech republic. Apples don't fall far from the tree.

Nelly-Korda.jpg

xander-schauffele.jpg
That’s why we are the greatest nation.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Happy the US Men's Basketball team won, but we definitely looked like we were fielding the "just enough talent to win" team.

I understand that this past NBA season was especially challenging given the short offseason and compressed schedule - and there were a higher number of late-season/postseason injuries. So, being a bit short handed in the "superstar" department is expected to some degree.

But this certainly wasn't a "Dream Team" type roster collecting the best US players in the NBA today.

This could be the worst Olympic team we have ever sent.
The only sport I think we are still a huge favorite is women's gymnastics. And anything can happen on a beam.
Everything is now a struggle.
Men's basketball team can't beat anyone.
Women's basketball is getting blown out.
Where is Brady when we need him to win the Olympics?

This is like one of those awful in-game threads where the RU football is down 14-0 midway through the first quarter.

And to complete this analogy, we went on to win 31-17.

Happy the US Men's Basketball team won, but we definitely looked like we were fielding the "just enough talent to win" team.

I understand that this past NBA season was especially challenging given the short offseason and compressed schedule - and there were a higher number of late-season/postseason injuries. So, being a bit short handed in the "superstar" department is expected to some degree.

But this certainly wasn't a "Dream Team" type roster collecting the best US players in the NBA today.
I really don’t follow NBA, but am familiar with some of the players. KD was the only guy I the team I ever heard of.

I’m not a big basketball fan but this is big time.
Is KD considered one of the best ever?

Best ever overall? IMO, no. But he's surely in the top 5 offensively. Some folks may remember the Iceman, George Gervin. Durant is bigger and stronger. I think that Jordan, LeBron and Magic are better. But Durant is in the mix for top 5 or 10 all time. I think he's an NBA title or two away from displacing Bird, Kareem, Kobe, Duncan, Hakeem, Shaq, Russell, Wilt, etc.

Best ever overall? IMO, no. But he's surely in the top 5 offensively. Some folks may remember the Iceman, George Gervin. Durant is bigger and stronger. I think that Jordan, LeBron and Magic are better. But Durant is in the mix for top 5 or 10 all time. I think he's an NBA title or two away from displacing Bird, Kareem, Kobe, Duncan, Hakeem, Shaq, Russell, Wilt, etc.
KD is in the top 15-20 range (all-time).....but with more career to go.

I really don’t follow NBA, but am familiar with some of the players. KD was the only guy I the team I ever heard of.

Of the 12 players selected, 9 are big name stars. Not a dream team, but a solid set of selections.

Damian Lilliard was 2nd team all NBA. (Only two Americans in the first team). A number of the other players received all NBA votes, including Durant.

Jrue Holiday and Draymond Green were NBA first team all defense, and Bam Adebayo was 2nd team all-defense. (BTW, Rudy Golbert of France was the NBA defensive player of the year).

I know Harden and Beal we're both originally supposed to be on this year's team, too.

While other countries have definitely closed the gap in many ways, if the USA truly fielded a team of its best players, they'd still be untouchable.

Congratulations to the men’s 4 x 400 relay!! Not only did they win the first gold medal on the men’s side in track and field at the Tokyo Olympics - we can talk about that another time - but they did so quite easily!!!

Congratulations to the men’s 4 x 400 relay!! Not only did they win the first gold medal on the men’s side in track and field at the Tokyo Olympics - we can talk about that another time - but they did so quite easily!!!
The men’s and women’s 4x400 were both dominant performances. Good way to close out track and field on a high note.

As Carl Lewis said, "what a clown show".
Oooof WTF…How long earth we come into the Olympics with three of the four fastest man in the world in the 100 and failed so miserably in both the 100 (silver only) and the 4 x 100 relay??

The men’s and women’s 4x400 were both dominant performances. Good way to close out track and field on a high note.
Listen the women were dominant throughout the week, unbelievable and congratulations to them, but yes a great way to close out a rough week for the men for sure and obviously for the women as well!

Reactions: cm_13
Jessica Springstein gets silver.
Was it her or her horse? Just look at the Modern Pentathlon for your answer. They don’t get to ride their own horses but get asigned a horse. They get 10 mins. with the horse then have to ride. The horse decided he didn’t want to jump and took the favorite for Gold 1st place rider by a wide margin and she had to withdraw from competition.

Listen the women were dominant throughout the week, unbelievable and congratulations to them, but yes a great way to close out a rough week for the men for sure and obviously for the women as well!
For sure, the men had a rough go of it out there up until this.

USA has a few more late opportunities for gold in women’s hoops, boxing and and women’s volleyball. Hopefully they can grab a few of those and catch China in the gold medal count. Women’s basketball off to a good start.

USA has a few more late opportunities for gold in women’s hoops, boxing and and women’s volleyball. Hopefully they can grab a few of those and catch China in the gold medal count. Women’s basketball off to a good start.
I’ll be watching all night! Boxing is on the way back!!!

Oooof WTF…How long earth we come into the Olympics with three of the four fastest man in the world in the 100 and failed so miserably in both the 100 (silver only) and the 4 x 100 relay??

Carl Lewis was pretty explicit - it's on the coaching decisions. Wrong guys running the wrong legs of the relay, not enough time practicing together as a team, too many agents involved wanting their guy to participate during earlier heats so they get a medal, etc. It's not just about exchanges and getting the baton around - it seems like our relay team approach is fundamentally dysfunctional.

USA routs Japan, and are now 1 back in the gold medal count.

You’ve got to be kidding me the two boxing finals in the next hour or so, that Americans are fighting in, are only being streamed. What a disgrace by NBC!

Reactions: newell138

Agreed but it's impossible to measure any team against that team. Out of the 11 NBA players on that roster all of them are in the Hall of Fame and just about each of them would be considered as in the top 50 players of all time

Reactions: RUChoppin
Watching the medal ceremonies with winners wearing masks is just pathetic . You can’t see the raw emotion of getting awarded a medal , and that’s what this whole thing is supposed to be about. NBC and the IOC better fix this.
It’s ridiculous. There’s nobody there. Wrestlers on top of each other for an entire match and then have to stand on the podium with masks on? So stupid it’s stunning.

Agreed but it's impossible to measure any team against that team. Out of the 11 NBA players on that roster all of them are in the Hall of Fame and just about each of them would be considered as in the top 50 players of all time

Not talking about comparing them directly to the Dream Team, just that this roster wasn't an assemblage of the best players of 2021 like the Dream Team was of 1992. If you had every single currently active, US-born NBA player to choose from, how many of the 2021 roster would you include on that team? Durant's a no-brainer, but maybe 2-3 other guys?

In 1992, it was truly the best possible players from across the NBA. 2012's Redeem Team was again the pick of the litter. The 2021 team had Durant and a lot of elite players, but it wasn't the cream of the crop.

Here's a list of players who were candidates, but were either injured or withdrew:
Injured:
James Harden
Kyrie Irving
Anthony Davis
Donovan Mitchell
Victor Oladipo
Kevin Love
Bradley Beal (Covid)

Withdrew:
Lebron James
Steph Curry
Jimmy Butler
Chris Paul
Kyle Lowry
Lamarcus Aldridge (retired)

Davis loses gold in a phenomenal match, could’ve gone either way, Torres is up in about 45 minutes in the heavy weights.

Women’s volleyball up two sets to zero on Brazil.

You’ve got to be kidding me the two boxing finals in the next hour or so, that Americans are fighting in, are only being streamed. What a disgrace by NBC!
They just had the Davis vs Cruz fight on CNBC, would’ve given a heads up if I saw this sooner.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Looks like a female British boxer just helped us out as she knocked off the number two seed ((Chinese) in her weight class for the gold medal!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT