ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2021 Tokyo Olympics Thread

Excellent opinion piece on Biles.

Awful article . Basically biles wasn’t having the night and performance she wanted and decided to drop out. Just think about what that did to her teammates and put more pressure on all of them . You want to talk about strong mental health , talk about chiles, who got forced into a difficult situation thanks to biles quitting on the team.
People tuned in to watch professional athletes at the olympics, instead we got a gymnast quitting at Girl Scout camp.

I'm not on the heroic train ... These are world class athletes and in her case making millions to be the best. Mental health doesn't exist in this space. Sorry Biles and Osaka. Maybe you aren't cut out for it. Clearly talented... That's what separates the Brady's from the rest. You can still be very good, but you are no longer in GOAT conversations

Reactions: bac2therac
For people looking for a comparison this was Roberto Duran “no mas.”
or Bjorn Borg
He was described as a rock-star on and off the court for his looks and icy demeanor during his sharp rise through the tennis world. It was a shock, then, in 1984, when Borg decided to retire at just 26, after winning 11 grand slams, citing mental burnout. He did attempt to come back in 1991, but was largely unsuccessful on the court and retired again in 1993.

We cannot put the standards we think is the way it should be as the rule all competitive athletes must live by.
Sometimes they need to put themselves #1 to make sure those around them don't lose anything because they pushed themselves to compete when they lost their competitive edge and confidence.

Lots of conversation in my house. Selfish? Did what’s right for the team? Should have been on the sidelines? Stayed in the lock room so no distraction? Get a medal? No medal? This is not an easy answer(s).

Reactions: newell138
or Bjorn Borg
He was described as a rock-star on and off the court for his looks and icy demeanor during his sharp rise through the tennis world. It was a shock, then, in 1984, when Borg decided to retire at just 26, after winning 11 grand slams, citing mental burnout. He did attempt to come back in 1991, but was largely unsuccessful on the court and retired again in 1993.

We cannot put the standards we think is the way it should be as the rule all competitive athletes must live by.
Sometimes they need to put themselves #1 to make sure those around them don't lose anything because they pushed themselves to compete when they lost their competitive edge and confidence.
He didn’t walk off the court. Though Babe Ruth did walk off the field to retire during the game.

I'm not on the heroic train ... These are world class athletes and in her case making millions to be the best. Mental health doesn't exist in this space. Sorry Biles and Osaka. Maybe you aren't cut out for it. Clearly talented... That's what separates the Brady's from the rest. You can still be very good, but you are no longer in GOAT conversations
No, she is.

Reactions: Greg2020
I'm a physical therapist and have had more young people than I should present to my office with nonspecific, vague, ankle pain, knee pain, shoulder pain, etc. Mom or dad is asking if their child can play this weekend - "it's a big showcase tournament". The child/patient speaks to me with their eyes saying "please don't clear me to play this weekend." Happens more often than it should.
Now imagine yourself with the weight of a nation on your shoulders, and every interview starts with "how does it feel to be the GOAT?" Heck, she even had a goat bedazzling her uniform. She has had maneuvers named after her, and was supposed to attempt a vault no other woman has ever attempted in Olympic competition.
I think she handled herself with more grace than Osaka did with her honesty.

When you feel you can't compete at your best and could hurt your teams chances to win, some athletes decide to not compete because they feel siting it out is best for the team.
In my opinion Biles did exactly that.
Mental prepration is a major part of gymnastics and if you're not mental ready top preform at your best, you could wind up costing the team more than you help.

Another opinion of mine:
She wasn't going up to bat in an beer league softball game and laugh off striking out, she was in a highly competitive competition that she felt not ready for the pressure mentally, because she felt burntout
She could also really hurt herself if her mind was not 100% focused. This isn’t like most other sports

Some here dont know who Mary Lou Retton was

Now that performance was guts and courage
Not sure how you are seeing that as a parallel. After watching the replay of what happened on vault, it is obvious that Biles had no business continuing on and possibly seriously injuring herself and likely causing more harm to the score of the team. Was it heroic to step down? No. But it was the right thing to do for her and the team.

Here is what happened with Biles:
She is old for gymnastics. She had gymnastics yips similar to older golfer who get the yips when putting and chipping.
She did not have this problem when she was young.
Now you know.

Not sure how you are seeing that as a parallel. After watching the replay of what happened on vault, it is obvious that Biles had no business continuing on and possibly seriously injuring herself and likely causing more harm to the score of the team. Was it heroic to step down? No. But it was the right thing to do for her and the team.

her comments leading up to the Olympics lead me to believe that she was not in the right framework to be there. You know there is a reason why gymnasts dont really compete at her age

Reactions: Terry_2426
If she can’t compete doing the same events in the team competition how can she be counted on for the individual and all-around competitions?

There need to be some serious conversations and I expect her to get the benefit of the doubt. But if I was an alternate who could have played and am told to wait - if she bails again I would be pissed.

Exactly -- reading up on people talking about gymnasts getting 'twisties' today, it sounds scary and dangerous as hell especially at this level.

Reactions: MrsScrew
I had no idea that was Michael Phelps until they said it. He looks nothing like his Olympic self. I was wondering who this guy was
I am distant very very distant aware of talk space and his involvement. He has his ghosts. Working through them

watch the slow-mo she looked totally lost and had no confidence in both her practice and 1st vault. One miscalculation and serious injury chance become a higher risk. As far as letting her team down would it not have been worse to lose her team a silver if she messed up on all her other events. Personally, I would rather live my life with people disappointed in me than a life in a wheelchair or worse

Says the guy laying on his couch eating chips
Oh kiss my ass... The softening of generation After generation is disgusting. You don't speak about anybody in athletics or any line of work for that matter in glowing terms if they shrink on the biggest stage. Im Not saying she shouldn't have done it, I'm just saying the fact she did she's no longer a goat and it's nothing to celebrate. Spinning this into a positive is pitiful. You wouldn't treat Brady, Montana or Steve F'ing Jobs or any other professional for that matter, this way if they tapped out from the big game or conference. You celebrate those who persevere, who rise to the occasion, who succeeded despite odds stacked against them.

And I'm 37 not 65.

Reactions: bac2therac
Oh kiss my ass... The softening of generation After generation is disgusting. You don't speak about anybody in athletics or any line of work for that matter in glowing terms if they shrink on the biggest stage. Im Not saying she shouldn't have done it, I'm just saying the fact she did she's no longer a goat and it's nothing to celebrate. Spinning this into a positive is pitiful. You wouldn't treat Brady, Montana or Steve F'ing Jobs or any other professional for that matter, this way if they tapped out from the big game or conference. You celebrate those who persevere, who rise to the occasion, who succeeded despite odds stacked against them.

And I'm 37 not 65.
You definitely sound old and cranky af, though.

Your generation is as soft as any - what are you even talking about?

This is a great Olympics thread guys....lots of past their prime dudes bitching about other people who have committed their entire lives to Olympic sports.

Probably about time for everyone complaining to start listing their life accomplishments.

Just relax and enjoy watching. Or don’t watch...that’s fine too, but don’t whine about it.

Who said it was heroic?
A ton of people on social media. Whichbi thinknis ridiculous. I have also seen Facebook posts saying that people now cringe when watching kerri strugs vault and nonlonger find it heroic. Pressure is what makes diamonds or makes things collapse. Kerri strug became a hero pushing through injuries and rising to the occasion. Biles will have this attached to her forever. But if she really needed it so be it but it will effect her legacy.

I had no idea that was Michael Phelps until they said it. He looks nothing like his Olympic self. I was wondering who this guy was

The pressure all of these Olympics athletes are under is something NONE of us can understand
NONE. OF. US.
Training your whole life for one event. Even Phelps felt he was under immense pressure....and considered suicide. His going onto compete as a swimmer would never have made him paralyzed if his mind wasn't in the right space the way Simone could have.

Last edited:
And social media has turned it up to 11…

I don’t have a problem with her quitting especially given the physical risk but I’m glad she pulled out of the other events too- she became a liability. Need to give someone else a chance at success on the sports best stage.

The pressure all of these Olympics athletes are under is something NONE of us can understand
NONE. OF. US.
Training your whole life for one event. Even Phelps felt he was under immense pressure....and considered suicide. His going onto compete as a swimmer would never have made him paralyzed if his mind wasn't in the right space the way Simone could have.

Well said.

And you might have some here call Michael Phelps a weak B**ch for even being suicidal b cause of the pressure that many will never understand.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT