ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot

colbert17

Heisman Winner
Aug 30, 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
I guess with all the attention being paid to the "win and in" game we were involved in Saturday the release of the MLB HoF ballot and the board's annual discussion of the candidates kind of slipped through. So let's get the bad taste of that terrible game out of our mouths and get to it.

My selections:

Early Baseball Era
Don't know enough about most of these guys so I'll pass.

Golden Days Era
The two that jump off the page for me are Dick Allen and Gil Hodges. I can see people making a case for Minoso, Kaat, Maris and Wills.

BBWAA Ballot
First off I'm not voting for any of the steroids guys so that makes the pickings pretty slim.I understand people's logic in including them but on my ballot I choose not to.
My choices are Curt Schilling, Jeff Kent and Todd Helton. That's it.
I can see people making a case for Billy Wagner.

Without the steriod guys this is a pretty weak ballot. There are many very good players but not many Hall of Famers.

Make your choice.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
I guess with all the attention being paid to the "win and in" game we were involved in Saturday the release of the MLB HoF ballot and the board's annual discussion of the candidates kind of slipped through. So let's get the bad taste of that terrible game out of our mouths and get to it.

My selections:

Early Baseball Era

Golden Days Era
The two that jump off the page for me are Dick Allen and Gil Hodges. I can see people making a case for Minoso, Kaat, Maris and Wills.

BBWAA Ballot
First off I'm not voting for any of the steroids guys so that makes the pickings pretty slim.I understand people's logic in including them but on my ballot I choose not to.

Without the steriod guys this is a pretty weak ballot. There are many very good players but not many Hall of Famers.

Make your choice.

Manny, Bonds, Sheffield, Sosa, A-Rod, Ortiz (?), Clemens…tough to figure out what to do with these guys. Despite the steroids stuff, there was a lot of fun baseball in the late-90s and early-2000s, and these were some of the guys that defined the era (for better and worse).

My selections:

Early Baseball Era

Golden Days Era

BBWAA Ballot

Make your choice.

+1
Nobody deserves to be voted in this year (pending how you fill about the steroid guys). The most deserving from the past is Albert Belle. However, he was a meanie, so cowardly writers didn't vote for him.

HoF should be a one and done proposition. Your validity shouldn't be based on others on the ballot. Not getting into a steroid pissing contest here so to pick from the borderline old timers 55th chance ballot I'd vote for Maris.

My new position is to put everyone in just so people would shut up

Reactions: RUScrew85

My selections:

Early Baseball Era

Golden Days Era

BBWAA Ballot

Make your choice.

Agree on both Gil Hodges and Dick Allen.

Belong in the HOF:

Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Alex Rodriguez
Manny Ramirez
Sammy Sosa
Curt Schilling
Todd Helton
Andy Pettitte
Jeff Kent
David Ortiz
Gary Sheffield

Manny, Bonds, Sheffield, Sosa, A-Rod, Ortiz (?), Clemens…tough to figure out what to do with these guys. Despite the steroids stuff, there was a lot of fun baseball in the late-90s and early-2000s, and these were some of the guys that defined the era (for better and worse).
I agree with baseball being fun back then . The yankees -Red Sox rivalry alone was way better than anything now and the teams are both pretty good.

Of all those steroid guys, the only one I would vote in was bonds . Because he was a hall of famer before he started using in 1999 . If he had retired right then and there he would be in already . All of the other guys , it’s questionable if they would get in without steroids . Even Clemens , his career was on the downswing and he was not a hall of fame lock before the the juicing started in Toronto.

Reactions: redking
Even Clemens , his career was on the downswing and he was not a hall of fame lock before the the juicing started in Toronto.
C'mon, he had 3 Cy-Youngs (plus a 2nd place and a 3rd place finish) and an ERA+ of 144 in thirteen seasons before he went to Toronto. His total strikeouts before Toronto were enough to place 30th on the all-time list (and that's in the era when hitters didn't strike out four times a game every game). That's a Hall of Famer.

My selections:

Early Baseball Era

Golden Days Era

BBWAA Ballot

Make your choice.

I think if you are still remembered from the Golden Days the case could be made you are famous. Hence HOF worthy. Hell, why not?

Current-ish - Schilling, Kent, Rollins. Was Helton awesome long enough? I'm too lazy to look it up.

I would vote for the steroid guys if I felt their career warranted it

Bonds Arod Manny and Clemens are no brainers to me

Also, once again I suggest the HOF make changes outlined in Bill Simmons HOF change suggestions.

Second. All of the steroid guys and Rose are already in the hall's displays just not "Inducted" in the Hall.

Induct them all, cheater and not, since they are famous and tell the story - good and bad - of MLB. Include them with more than just a info limited plaque. Do a video of every player on a screen next to the plaque - it can tell the entire story of the players - good things and warts, cheating, racism and all.

Example: "Rose got thrown out of baseball. Most prolific hitter in history, no one I'd rather have up down 1, with a runner on second and 2 outs in the 9th. Bet on baseball, ate greenies by the handful. Worst haircut in baseball the history of man. Killed Ray Fosse."

"Bonds was a great player who decided to become superhuman taking steroids. His head didn't fit in doorways. He was a jerk. He was so scary at the plate he was sometimes intentionally walked while leading off"

How does this detract from what a Hall of Fame is?

Put them in and TELL THE ENTIRE STORY. Good and Bad.

Last edited:
Hodges long long overdue. Taking out the steroid guys, the only one I would put in is Kent, numbers at his position are over the top. Assuming he was not a steroid guy which might be a reach. Everyone with numbers like that in that time period is suspect IMO with the exception of Frank Thomas.

Belong in the HOF:

Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Alex Rodriguez
Manny Ramirez
Sammy Sosa
Curt Schilling
Todd Helton
Andy Pettitte
Jeff Kent
David Ortiz
Gary Sheffield

Barry Bonds - ROIDS
Roger Clemens - ROIDS
Alex Rodriguez - ROIDS
Manny Ramirez - ROIDS
Sammy Sosa - ROIDS
Curt Schilling - Hall of Very Good
Todd Helton - Hall of Very Good
Andy Pettitte - Hall of Very Good
Jeff Kent - Hall of Very Good
David Ortiz - ROIDs and DH
Gary Sheffield - Hall of Very Good

So I would say no to everyone on your list (since I'm a no on steroids guys, but that position may evolve over time).

Barry Bonds - ROIDS
Roger Clemens - ROIDS
Alex Rodriguez - ROIDS
Manny Ramirez - ROIDS
Sammy Sosa - ROIDS

So I would say no to everyone on your list (since I'm a no on steroids guys, but that position may evolve over time).
I believe that if you can't have a comprehensive conversation about a particular era of baseball without discussing a player, that player belongs in the HOF. Did they use steroids? Sure, but the league knew it and let them. Frankly, in that era, if you weren't using steroids you were putting yourself in a league-sanctioned competitive disadvantage. Who is most to blame? Bud Selig, of course; but they voted that a-hole into the HOF the instant they had an opportunity.

Tony Oliva is also in the official mix with the Minoso, Kaat, Maris and Wills era players. He and Dick Allen have both missed by one vote in past elections

Prior to 2003, steroid use was tolerated by MLB. After-the-fact sanctions, such as an unofficial HOF ban, should not be imposed on players of that era.

Tony Oliva is also in the official mix with the Minoso, Kaat, Maris and Wills era players. He and Dick Allen have both missed by one vote in past elections
Gil Hodges lost by a vote too. Roy Campanella's vote was veto by Ted Williams as Roy was not able to attend the in person as he was in the hospital.

Barry Bonds - ROIDS
Roger Clemens - ROIDS
Alex Rodriguez - ROIDS
Manny Ramirez - ROIDS
Sammy Sosa - ROIDS

Rollins.

Reactions: WhiteBus
I believe that if you can't have a comprehensive conversation about a particular era of baseball without discussing a player, that player belongs in the HOF. Did they use steroids? Sure, but the league knew it and let them. Frankly, in that era, if you weren't using steroids you were putting yourself in a league-sanctioned competitive disadvantage. Who is most to blame? Bud Selig, of course; but they voted that a-hole into the HOF the instant they had an opportunity.

I'd like to LIKE this post 12 times.

Reactions: sunsetregret
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT