ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022 NY Jets Season Thread

Didn't like the pick, think he's stunk since he's gotten here, and don't think he'll ever approach, let alone be, a franchise QB. Attitude and media comments are cherry on top and why they're making this move.

Reactions: superfan01
How could we not score from the 1 yard line?
It was first and goal from the four. Knight ran for three yards to set up second and goal from the one. The second down run gets stuffed, followed by two incomplete passes, the last of which was dropped in the end zone by Berrios.

One could argue that they should have pounded it again on third and fourth, but that's a second guess.

Think Z. Wilson got boo’d out of NYC last night. Sucks I had high hopes for the kid.

QB play is an anchor around the team’s neck…sounds familiar smh.

Think Z. Wilson got boo’d out of NYC last night. Sucks I had high hopes for the kid.

QB play is an anchor around the team’s neck…sounds familiar smh.
Some folks said before the draft he wasn't a QB1. I read one take on Wilson being closer to JaMarcus Russell than an average QB. I thought it was mean, but it's closer to the truth after two years. There are people out there who are still in love with him because of Wilson's ability to make something from nothing on off-schedule plays. There's one problem, off-schedule plays are not a regular thing. From the shoulders down, Wilson is as talented as they come, but from the neck up, he has rocks between his ears. Wilson never could process the game in real-time. He got away with things in college because he played against a weak schedule. How else do you explain QBs with less talent shine brighter than Wilson in the same offense on the pro level? You can't keep making excuses for him.

Wilson may or may not be gone from the Jets in the off-season. If they trade him I hope it’s to an NFC team, as a lifelong Jet fan, I could see him going to an AFC team with a top level offensive staff and he suddenly blossoms in year 4. The game is too fast for him now and it’s difficult to know if it will slow down for him where he can use his arm, athletic talent. The Jets are in a tough spot now with QB. The staff will probably push for an experienced QB in 2023 or they will go with Mike White long term. They need to again target the OL in the off-season, they can’t run the ball at all now and that has hurt the Off. I think it is likely they will end the year on a 6 game losing streak, they are @ Seattle and @Miami to end the season.

Reactions: Kbee3
Wilson may or may not be gone from the Jets in the off-season. If they trade him I hope it’s to an NFC team, as a lifelong Jet fan, I could see him going to an AFC team with a top level offensive staff and he suddenly blossoms in year 4. The game is too fast for him now and it’s difficult to know if it will slow down for him where he can use his arm, athletic talent. The Jets are in a tough spot now with QB. The staff will probably push for an experienced QB in 2023 or they will go with Mike White long term. They need to again target the OL in the off-season, they can’t run the ball at all now and that has hurt the Off. I think it is likely they will end the year on a 6 game losing streak, they are @ Seattle and @Miami to end the season.
The injuries along the OL really hurt the Jets. Still, any QB other than Wilson gave the offense some life. That is telling. Wilson's play has started to impact the defense. The defense is less pumped to play, knowing their effort is a wasted cause.

Yeah - and him giving away Vespas (or whatever they were) to the OL just looked desperate. He’s lost the team.

White had a pulse. Personally think they should move a mountain to get Aaron Rogers or Lamar Jackson.

Jets WRs coach Miles Austin suspended by NFL for gambling​

That's fairly two-faced by NFL
They've MERGED with gambling and NFL owners have their own stats biz (for gambling)
They are intentionally aiming at kids because they know the youngs are not as interested as their rents.
The coach bet legal on a non NFL sport and pure NFL deems him contaminated all of a sudden

Every time I see Josh Allen play I think what if ???????
The Jets had four options that year. Three of them are disappointments at best and busts at worst. Would Buffalo have taken Allen if either Mayfield or Darnold were available? We'll never know. You never know.

Reactions: colbert17
And would Allen have become Allen if he was with that team.
That’s always the biggest question to me.

Everyone likes ragging on the Jets for taking Ken O’Brien instead of Marino, but they forget how bad the Jets offensive line was in that era. Remembering how many brutal hits O’Brien took, Marino and his bad knees probably wouldn’t have lasted more than a couple years if drafted by the Jets, let alone been a Hall of Famer.

Everyone likes ragging on the Jets for taking Ken O’Brien instead of Marino, but they forget how bad the Jets offensive line was in that era. Remembering how many brutal hits O’Brien took, Marino and his bad knees probably wouldn’t have lasted more than a couple years if drafted by the Jets, let alone been a Hall of Famer.
And hard to debate- was NYC coke as good as Miami’s back in those days…lol
I always’s liked O’Brien. I can’t remember much of anyone on that offense except for one of my all time favorites- Wesley Walker. The defense had all the players.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
And hard to debate- was NYC coke as good as Miami’s back in those days…lol
I always’s liked O’Brien. I can’t remember much of anyone on that offense except for one of my all time favorites- Wesley Walker. The defense had all the players.
O’Brien wasn’t nearly as bad as the people telling the draft story make him out to be. It was an era before most of the league emphasis on protecting the QB, so I just remember him taking a lot of brutal shots because of the bad OL.

O’Brien wasn’t nearly as bad as the people telling the draft story make him out to be. It was an era before most of the league emphasis on protecting the QB, so I just remember him taking a lot of brutal shots because of the bad OL.
Ken O'Brien was, and I believe still is, the only QB in NFL history to throw for 100 touchdowns and run for 0 touchdowns.

Think of that for a moment. Zero rushing TD's. Even Joe Namath had seven.

When he had time he could pick apart a defense.

Everyone likes ragging on the Jets for taking Ken O’Brien instead of Marino, but they forget how bad the Jets offensive line was in that era. Remembering how many brutal hits O’Brien took, Marino and his bad knees probably wouldn’t have lasted more than a couple years if drafted by the Jets, let alone been a Hall of Famer

It’s a long time ago and there seems to be some revisionist history going on. In general, the Jets had a pretty talented roster in the early to mid 80s. They were strong at DL and OL. Marvin Powell, Dan Alexander, Joe Fields were very good OLs. They had Freeman McNiel at RB, Walker at WR, Mickey Shuler at TE. Al Toon at WR came in ‘85 I believe. The team went to the AFC champ game in 82 and were a playoff team in 85 and 86. Ken OBrian was a good QB but they did pass on Marino who is a hall of fame QB. No comparison there. Also the myth that Marino was on drugs and is the reason he dropped has been dispelled. Check out the ESPN 30 to 30 special on Elway & Marino and the 83 NFL draft. Marino was drafted behind QBs Todd Blackledge and Tony Eason in the 1st round. A lot teams screwed that draft up regarding Marino.

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
It’s a long time ago and there seems to be some revisionist history going on. In general, the Jets had a pretty talented roster in the early to mid 80s. They were strong at DL and OL. Marvin Powell, Dan Alexander, Joe Fields were very good OLs. They had Freeman McNiel at RB, Walker at WR, Mickey Shuler at TE. Al Toon at WR came in ‘85 I believe. The team went to the AFC champ game in 82 and were a playoff team in 85 and 86. Ken OBrian was a good QB but they did pass on Marino who is a hall of fame QB. No comparison there. Also the myth that Marino was on drugs and is the reason he dropped has been dispelled. Check out the ESPN 30 to 30 special on Elway & Marino and the 83 NFL draft. Marino was drafted behind QBs Todd Blackledge and Tony Eason in the 1st round. A lot teams screwed that draft up regarding Marino.
Who’s spouting the revisionist history here?

The Jets OL you call strong allowed 62 sacks in the first year O’Brien started, and O’Brien was sacked 338 times in his career, FAR more than any other Jets QB. He was sacked one time for about every 10 pass attempts, which is awful,

Marino had a quick release, but the Jets Oline gave up so many sacks he would have gotten killed back there.

Who’s spouting the revisionist history here?

The Jets OL you call strong allowed 62 sacks in the first year O’Brien started, and O’Brien was sacked 338 times in his career, FAR more than any other Jets QB. He was sacked one time for about every 10 pass attempts, which is awful,

Marino had a quick release, but the Jets Oline gave up so many sacks he would have gotten killed back there.
O’Brien was a statue and he held onto the ball too long in his rookie year, as most rookies do. . The OL was good, they carried the offense in 82 with a mediocre to poor QB. They went to the AFC champ game. You don’t get there without being stout up front. I’ve been a Jet fan since 1968 and the team in the early to mid 80s was talented especially at DL and OL.

O’Brien was a statue and he held onto the ball too long in his rookie year, as most rookies do. . The OL was good, they carried the offense in 82 with a mediocre to poor QB. They went to the AFC champ game. You don’t get there without being stout up front. I’ve been a Jet fan since 1968 and the team in the early to mid 80s was talented especially at DL and OL.
A whole lot of QB’s back then were statues. No one is saying he was Marino- but, o’Brien’s stats are actually pretty good most years. I did forget he had Freeman back there too. Makes me a bit curious looking back- we had some insane defensive players and an offense with O’Brien, McNeil, Walker, Shuler, Toon etc…we should have been much better.

Weird…O’Brien wasn’t their QB until 1985 after your timeframe…

If you check Pro Football Reference, O'Brien is second only to Namath in most Jet career stats.

#2 in all of these categories: wins, TD passes, yardage and is the all time leader in completions.
He also was the most sacked QB in Jet History. 338 times!!!
More than 100 more than the runner up, Richard Todd with 230.
Interesting fact which I did not know. He is in the College Football Hall of Fame.

Last edited:
When I saw White was the QB I thought the Jets would finally make it to the playoffs, and then he got hurt. Zack Wilson makes two or three fantastic plays, and then 4 or 5 terrible plays. He just isn't good enough to be a starting QB at this point in his career.

Geno Smith has come a long way from his Jets days
He looks like the WV QB again

Geno Smith has come a long way from his Jets days
He looks like the WV QB again

Also, Darnold had a 7/1 td to int ratio and 105 qb rating in the 5 games he played to finish out the season at Carolina. The Jets are just cursed.

Reactions: ashokan
Also, Darnold had a 7/1 td to int ratio and 105 qb rating in the 5 games he played to finish out the season at Carolina. The Jets are just cursed.

Jets are a hideous org for a QB to go to
Truth was that Sanchez wasn't a bad QB either
If Sanchez played for Andy Reid he would have had a different career imo

A little known fact about Darnold was that he was a LB in HS with a scholarship for basketball
The starting QB got hurt and Darnold replaced him on the fly and had a good season
He went to a football meet his senior year and that's when USC offered him
At USC he ended-up playing as freshman because of injured starter and he had a great season despite not really having a lot of experience.
The worst thing for him was to go to a team like the Jets - who were better at wrecking QBs than developing them

I think it's the owner. Woody Johnson has let it be known he's not sold on HC Saleh and may replace him. The sh*tshow for the last 20 years has Woody Johnson's fingerprints all over it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT