ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Albums On Which Every Song Is Good

Albumism_TheCars_TheCars.jpg

Add in that this was their first album, best debut ever

The debut The Doors by The Doors (Jim Morrison, Ray Manzarek, Robby Krieger and John Densmore 1967) is pretty close. Except for the three songs on the flip side (about 7 minutes total) the rest is a Greatest Hits album that isn't a greatest hits album:

Side one
No.TitleLength
1."Break On Through (To the Other Side)"2:25
2."Soul Kitchen"3:30
3."The Crystal Ship"2:30
4."Twentieth Century Fox"2:30
5."Alabama Song (Whisky Bar)" (Bertolt Brecht, Kurt Weill)3:15
6."Light My Fire"6:50
Side two
No.TitleLength
1."Back Door Man" (Willie Dixon, Chester Burnett a.k.a. Howlin' Wolf)3:30
2."I Looked at You"2:18
3."End of the Night"2:49
4."Take It as It Comes"2:13
5."The End"11:35

Not sure if the Cars has the best debut ever, but I agree it was a great one. Debuts often are like greatest hits albums (all the hits before they got signed). Here are a few that come to mind at the moment:

1. Counting Crows — August etc. (already mentioned in the thread.

2. Hootie and the Blowfish: “Cracked Rear View”

3. Crowded House: “Crowded House”

The follow up, Candy-O was pretty damn good as well although there may be one stinker on it so I didn’t include.

BTW, how could O forget AC/DC

Back in Black
FTATR
Flick of the Switch

Three straight albums and I can’t think of a bad song on any of them

I just remembered another one that fits the bill--every song on this is one I like. And what a debut...

OIP.J7MgOawgRkKOIDlf4kGxsAHaFv

Well if we're getting into classical:

Beethoven's 7th Symphony
Beethoven's 4th Piano Concerto
Tchaikovsky Concerto #1 in B-flat minor is my favorite peace of music. I loved it when Van Cliburn played it in Moscow 1958. The Cold War was at it's peak. and he brought down the house.

Last edited:
Reactions: Purple-Ed
Sorry if this been posted before but ELO's All Over the World is great from start to finish. My favorite song is Mr. Blue Sky. As a golfer and a cyclist nothing beats a day out in full blue sky's after some previously nasty weather.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
Elvis Costello albums, in no order:

Trust
Imperial Bedroom
This Years Model
Armed Forces
King of America
My Aim is True
Get Happy

Note: The "every song is good" is a hard level to reach on loner albums with a lot of short cuts.. one of these has 20 songs, mostly short. For sentimental reasons, if I had to choose one or two it might be 2 of these.. My Aim is True, This Years Model, Trust

And how about Boomtown Rats.. Tonic for the Troops

Of course, any "best of" album of top groups will be damn good.. but not what you are going for here, I think.

LIVE albums tend to be "best-of-ish". So Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison is freaking great. Frampton Comes Alive and Stop Making Sense, I think, are exceptions.. all new stuff at teh time.

Speaking of Frampton.. he has something interesting come out lat next month.. all-instrumental.. check youtube for some vids of Frampton doing this.. using his guitar as the voice.

Peter Frampton, 'Frampton Forgets the Words' Track Listing
1. "If You Want Me To Stay" (Sly & the Family Stone)
2. "Reckoner" (Radiohead)
3. "Dreamland" (Michael Colombier feat. Jaco Pastorius)
4. "One More Heartache" (Marvin Gaye)
5. "Avalon" (Roxy Music)
6. "Isn’t It a Pity" (George Harrison)
7. "I Don't Know Why" (Stevie Wonder)
8. "Are You Gonna Go My Way" (Lenny Kravitz)
9. "Loving the Alien" (David Bowie)
10. "Maybe" (Alison Krauss)

Read More: Peter Frampton Covers George Harrison, David Bowie on New Album | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/pet...words/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

Last edited:
Reactions: ElmiraExpress
Elvis Costello albums, in no order:

Trust
Imperial Bedroom
This Years Model
Armed Forces
King of America
My Aim is True
Get Happy

Note: The "every song is good" is a hard level to reach on loner albums with a lot of short cuts.. one of these has 20 songs, mostly short. For sentimental reasons, if I had to choose one or two it might be 2 of these.. My Aim is True, This Years Model, Trust

And how about Boomtown Rats.. Tonic for the Troops

Of course, any "best of" album of top groups will be damn good.. but not what you are going for here, I think.

LIVE albums tend to be "best-of-ish". So Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison is freaking great. Frampton Comes Alive and Stop Making Sense, I think, are exceptions.. all new stuff at teh time.

Speaking of Frampton.. he has something interesting come out lat next month.. all-instrumental.. check youtube for some vids of Frampton doing this.. using his guitar as the voice.

Peter Frampton, 'Frampton Forgets the Words' Track Listing
1. "If You Want Me To Stay" (Sly & the Family Stone)
2. "Reckoner" (Radiohead)
3. "Dreamland" (Michael Colombier feat. Jaco Pastorius)
4. "One More Heartache" (Marvin Gaye)
5. "Avalon" (Roxy Music)
6. "Isn’t It a Pity" (George Harrison)
7. "I Don't Know Why" (Stevie Wonder)
8. "Are You Gonna Go My Way" (Lenny Kravitz)
9. "Loving the Alien" (David Bowie)
10. "Maybe" (Alison Krauss)

Read More: Peter Frampton Covers George Harrison, David Bowie on New Album | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/pet...words/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral
Extremely talented and a huge catalog of songs. Get Happy is my favorite. Saw him in concert back in college and his set list was determined by a boardwalk spinning wheel. As they played that song someone would take that name done and put in another. So much fun.

Reactions: rutger80
I'd like to add..
Hybrid Theory- Linkin Park

Linkin Park front man Chester Bennington killed himself on the birthday of his good friend Chris Cornell, the great front man for Audio Slave, the band w great guitarest Tom Morello (thankfully still alive). 2 of the best of hard rock front men ever (Cornell & Bennington).

• Sad
Reactions: Jm0513
You Gotta Move is a cover track that I'd call more filler than a song. And Bitch might be slightly weaker than the rest but still good and has gotten plenty of radio play.

The rest? My God:
Brown Sugar
Sway
Wild Horses
Cant You Hear Me Knocking
I Got the Blues
Sister Morphine
Dead Flowers
Moonlight Mile

That's a freaking all-star list

The common denominator of all the great Stones Albums was adding young Brooklyn born producer/engineer Jimmy Miller who quickly found and added British guitarest Mick Taylor to add a new layer of a new rock/blues slide guitar sound to all those great albums from 1968-1973 for the Stones, possibly the best 5 year run for any rock band ever. In the late 60s the Stones were being held back by heroin addicted Keef Richards at that time, until Miller reshaped the Stones. Jagger & Keef were still writing but not getting it on tape and vinyl. Jimy Miller got Mick Taylor to not only help pull Keef out of his funk long enough for the Stones to have possibly the greatest 5 year run of any rock band in history with seminal albums Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile On Main Street, & Goats Heads Soup but also helped with a new style of creativity.. Jimmy Miller also produced the greatest Cream and Traffic Albums for Eric Clapton & friends. He played drums on a lot of the greatest Stones songs filling in for Charlie Watts. His sister is/was Judith Miller , the NY times Reporter know for the bull crap George Bush/Cheney Iraq Weaspons of Mass Destruction BS.

I could go on and on, but here's a starter set, lol...

Beatles - almost every album, but especially Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
English Beat - I Just Can't Stop It
Dramarama - Dramarama
Yes - The Yes Album
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
Springsteen - Born To Run
Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed
Led Zeppelin - I/IV
Neil Young - Live Rust (greatest live album ever, IMO)
Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense (obviously not a pure "album" but this film/soundtrack is their best work, IMO)
Clash - London Calling
Gaslight Anthem - 59 Sound
Fountains of Wayne - self titled debut album
Wonder Stuff - Eight Legged Groove Machine
Cure - Disintegration
Marvin Gaye - What's Goin On?
Carole King - Tapestry
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Stevie Wonder - Innervisions
Nirvana - Nevermind
Elvis Costello - My Aim Is True
Guns & Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Pixies - Doolittle
Strokes - Is This It
Arrested Development - 3 Years, 5 Months, and 2 Days In the Life of...
Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
Prince - Purple Rain
Titus Andronicus - The Monitor
Decemberists - Crane Wife
Smiths - The Queen Is Dead
New Order - Substance (a compilation, but no other NO album has Temptation or Everything's Gone Green)
The Who - Quadrophenia
The Ergs - Dorkrockcorkrod
Joe Jackson - Look Sharp
Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory
Girls - Album
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Orville Peck - Pony
Sublime - Sublime
Old 97s - Satellite Rides
Whiskeytown - Stranger's Almanac
White Stripes - Elephant
Sly & the Family Stone - Stand!
U2 - Boy and War
Power of Dreams - Immigrants, Emigrants and Me

Last edited:
The Mack Daddy of this thread......
Gould-Sgt-Pepper.jpg
I was just listening to Peppers yesterday and it is amazing that this album is as still as fresh as the first time I heard it as a kid. The Beatles as a group pushed pop/rock to another level with this album. Just amazing artists that In my humble opinion no one has even come close to eclipsing.

Linkin Park front man Chester Bennington killed himself on the birthday of his good friend Chris Cornell, the great front man for Audio Slave, the band w great guitarest Tom Morello (thankfully still alive). 2 of the best of hard rock front men ever (Cornell & Bennington).
Two of my favorite male voices right there, along with Aaron Lewis. Tragic indeed.
I was just listening to Cornell's cover of Nothing Compares To You.

Some real good ones on here.... and some real crap but here are a few that I haven't seen mentioned.

Jefferson Starship - Red Octopus
Dire Straits - Love Over Gold
Dickie Betts - Highway Call (debut solo album)

And yes, I'm old.

Reactions: ElmiraExpress
Two of my favorite male voices right there, along with Aaron Lewis. Tragic indeed.

Possibly the most underrated male voice: Stevie Ray Vaughn

And as long as "Greatest Hits" are considered his greatest hits album qualifies.

I'm sure that, if you're a fan of the two you mentioned, you're also a fan of Jeff Buckley.
If you haven't spent time listening to this, start to finish, again and again, you're missing something. So much recorded audio/video you can find online, as well. Currently, a biopic is finally being made, with permission from his mother/estate to use his music. I miss him.

Jeff_Buckley_grace.jpg

agree, too bad though.....RIP Riley Gale

First album that comes to mind is Rust in Peace by Megadeth. More recently but also old school thrash--Nightmare Logic by Power Trip. If you like old school metal like Slayer, Exodus, etc., you should definitely check out that album.

• Sad
Reactions: robcac26
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT