ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Albums On Which Every Song Is Good

61FXPGWmJYL.jpg

I think we should forgive 1 weak tune.. sometimes they are added just to keep certain band members happy.
The thread starter asked for albums on which EVERY song is good. There are many, many albums that I treasure that I immediately ruled out from this thread because of that. Frankly, if I'm gonna post albums that have lots of great songs on them this is gonna be an extremely long thread.

Obviously this thread will be biased toward the individual responder and his or her taste in music.
For me thes Holly Grail is....
Born to Run (Bruce)
Every song on the album has been my favorite song on the album at one time. The album overall is a tribute to the Wall of sound concept developed by Phil Spector
The characters, living out the promise of their youth, on one hot New Jersey night.
Number two for me is ...
Darkness on the Edge of Town (Bruce)
Those same characters would now confront the reality of what those dreams would become.
Some would give up living and start dying piece by piece, some would come home and washup and go Racing in the Streets
Number 3....
Abbey Road ( Beatles)
Number 4....
I am going to cheat a little because it is a collection but....
Endless Summer (Beach Boys)

BTW, A great thread to start so kudos to the OP
I'm a big Born To Run fan, but Night is not so good.
BTW, I'll never forget the first time I saw The Boss do Jungleland at the Capital Theater in Passaic. I'd never seen anything like it. Easily the best live performer I've ever seen.
And, of course, the Big Man's sax solo was like nothing I'd ever heard before.

Sorry, but your thread has devolved into everyone listing their favorite albums.
i tend to agree. there's a lot of other albums that i truly love, but wouldn't say has NO bad songs...i have refrained from offering those up. if there's a single song on an album where i even, for one second, think...eh, i'll hit the skip button...the album doesn't belong here.

Reactions: Kbee3
i tend to agree. there's a lot of other albums that i truly love, but wouldn't say has NO bad songs...i have refrained from offering those up. if there's a single song on an album where i even, for one second, think...eh, i'll hit the skip button...the album doesn't belong here.
So true.

This is my first time visiting this thread. Unless they are listed and I just missed it, these are two I would add to the list.

One obscure:
The Candyskins - Space I'm In

One not so obscure and really surprised it wasn't mentioned:
Men At Work - Business As Usual
Huge Candyskins fan - saw them live with Squeeze at the old Tradewinds in Sea Bright in the early 90s. Did you see my post on the last page about Power of Dreams? Even more obsure than Candyskins, but if you like them you'll also like POD.

Reactions: LeapinLou
Didn't notice Def Leppard Hysteria. It's unfortunate that my least favorite sound on the album gets nearly all the radio play.

BTW, I'll never forget the first time I saw The Boss do Jungleland at the Capital Theater in Passaic. I'd never seen anything like it. Easily the best live performer I've ever seen.
I love Night
Classic rock and roll themes of 50s and 60s
Surviving the work day to get to something magical
Cars, girls and romance

And the world is busting at its seams
And you're just a prisoner of your dreams
Holding on for your life
(The desperation in these lines is palpable)

And she's so pretty that you're lost in the stars
As you jockey your way through the cars

You work nine to five and somehow you survive 'til the night

The Vogues 5 O'Clock world

But I live for the end of the day (up!)
(Yeah, yeah, yeah) 'cause it's a five o'clock world when the whistle blows
No-one owns a piece of my time
And there's a long-haired girl who waits, I know
To ease my troubled mind, yeah!
A-da-lay-ee-ee (up, up, up!)
In the shelter of her arms everything's okay (yeah-yeah) (up!)

Reactions: famousbill19
I love Night
Classic rock and roll themes of 50s and 60s
Surviving the work day to get to something magical
Cars, girls and romance

And the world is busting at its seams
And you're just a prisoner of your dreams
Holding on for your life
(The desperation in these lines is palpable)

And she's so pretty that you're lost in the stars
As you jockey your way through the cars

You work nine to five and somehow you survive 'til the night

The Vogues 5 O'Clock world

But I live for the end of the day (up!)
(Yeah, yeah, yeah) 'cause it's a five o'clock world when the whistle blows
No-one owns a piece of my time
And there's a long-haired girl who waits, I know
To ease my troubled mind, yeah!
A-da-lay-ee-ee (up, up, up!)
In the shelter of her arms everything's okay (yeah-yeah) (up!)
Night is a terrific song. Better than 10th Ave Freeze-Out IMO (which keeps this album off my list in this thread).

The common denominator of all the great Stones Albums was adding young Brooklyn born producer/engineer Jimmy Miller who quickly found and added British guitarest Mick Taylor to add a new layer of a new rock/blues slide guitar sound to all those great albums from 1968-1973 for the Stones, possibly the best 5 year run for any rock band ever. In the late 60s the Stones were being held back by heroin addicted Keef Richards at that time, until Miller reshaped the Stones. Jagger & Keef were still writing but not getting it on tape and vinyl. Jimy Miller got Mick Taylor to not only help pull Keef out of his funk long enough for the Stones to have possibly the greatest 5 year run of any rock band in history with seminal albums Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile On Main Street, & Goats Heads Soup but also helped with a new style of creativity.. Jimmy Miller also produced the greatest Cream and Traffic Albums for Eric Clapton & friends. He played drums on a lot of the greatest Stones songs filling in for Charlie Watts. His sister is/was Judith Miller , the NY times Reporter know for the bull crap George Bush/Cheney Iraq Weaspons of Mass Destruction BS.
You make a great point, except I think Goat's Head Soup may be stretching it a bit. I think that was considerably weaker than the previous 4 efforts.

Born to Run is abolsutely the winner in this group for me. And I also agree, Night is one of my favorites as well. Got to see him (them) twice when he was doing the full albums mid-concert. I was lucky enough to see Born to Run and Greetings performed cover to cover.

Greetings has some amazing songs but the Angel and Mary Queen of Arkansas keep it from being in this group....However if you can't tell from the name, Lost in the flood is one of my all time favorites and was very happy to see it done live.

A somewhat recent album that I would put on the list is Amy Winehouse’s “Back To Black” , I think it’s terrific from start to finish.

Reactions: Kbee3
Night is a terrific song. Better than 10th Ave Freeze-Out IMO (which keeps this album off my list in this thread).
Now...see....that's why they make different flavors of ice cream.
10th Ave Freeze-Out is one of my favorite Springsteen tunes. It wasn't when I first heard the album. But the moment I heard them do it live it quickly became one of my all-time favorite tunes. Still brings a smile to my face.
Sorry, but Night is one Springsteen song that I could do without. I don't think it's necessarily the lyrics that doesn't do it for me. And this is coming from one of Bruce's biggest fans. I saw him so many times in his prime. It was tough to find a few minutes during his 4 hour shows to go take a whiz. When he did this tune was one of those rare moments. Sorry, but that's my opinion.

Reactions: famousbill19
Two of my favorite albums has one thing in common.
Album. Bat out of Hell Meat Loaf. Loved every song on the album except Bat out of Hell.
Album. Every picture tell a Story, Rod Steward. Loved every song on the album except Every Picture tell a story.
Strange?

Obviously this thread will be biased toward the individual responder and his or her taste in music.
For me the Holly Grail is....
Born to Run (Bruce)
Every song on the album has been my favorite song on the album at one time. The album overall is a tribute to the Wall of sound concept developed by Phil Spector
The characters, living out the promise of their youth, on one hot New Jersey night.
Number two for me is ...
Darkness on the Edge of Town (Bruce)
Those same characters would now confront the reality of what those dreams would become.
Some would give up living and start dying piece by piece, some would come home and washup and go Racing in the Streets
Number 3....
Abbey Road ( Beatles)
Number 4....
I am going to cheat a little because it is a collection but....
Endless Summer (Beach Boys)

BTW, A great thread to start so kudos to the OP

OGC.f7b0b176c4fad76c53e5aa05076ab6db

Born to Run is abolsutely the winner in this group for me. And I also agree, Night is one of my favorites as well. Got to see him (them) twice when he was doing the full albums mid-concert. I was lucky enough to see Born to Run and Greetings performed cover to cover.

Greetings has some amazing songs but the Angel and Mary Queen of Arkansas keep it from being in this group....However if you can't tell from the name, Lost in the flood is one of my all time favorites and was very happy to see it done live.
Lost in the Flood is a masterpiece

Two of my favorite albums has one thing in common.
Album. Bat out of Hell Meat Loaf. Loved every song on the album except Bat out of Hell.
Album. Every picture tell a Story, Rod Steward. Loved every song on the album except Every Picture tell a story.
Strange?
^^^ Two albums that I own, but can't figure out why I do.

My fave Springsteen tune.. close second Thunder Road.. then, the Springsteen-sounding tune by The Boomtown Rats.. Joey's on the Street Again

Albus that might fit this last category..

Gary U.S. Bonds, 'Dedication'
Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes, 'Hearts of Stone'
Meat Loaf, 'Bat Out of Hell'

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT