ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Albums On Which Every Song Is Good

Aqualung...Jethro Tull, -Never gets old; every song amazing.

Interesting story involving this album and its title. -Ian Anderson, lead singer, song writer, and flautist/acoustic guitar player for the band, got the idea for the title "Aqualung" from watching an old episode of "Sea Hunt", starring Lloyd Bridges, and thought the raspy sound made by the breathing apparatus reminded him of the wheezing sounds made by homeless men in the UK after years of their being exposed to the elements. -Back then his now former wife, a professional photographer, happened to be involved in putting together an exhibition on that segment of the population in England.

Unfortunately for Anderson, at the time he didn't realize that "Aqua-Lung" was a copyrighted name, and the manufacturers of that diving equipment weren't too thrilled that a rock band was making money hand over fist off a blockbuster album using their product name without their permission.

As such, Anderson was involved in litigation with the company for years, and in the end I believe some sort of settlement was reached between the parties involved, (which probably resulted in the producers of "Aqua-Lung" diving apparatus getting a nice chunk of the royalties/profits generated by that epic record).

Last edited:
Aqualung...Jethro Tull, -Never gets old; every song amazing.

Interesting story involving this album and its title. -Ian Anderson, lead singer, song writer, and flautist/acoustic guitar player for the band, got the idea for the title "Aqualung" from watching an old episode of "Sea Hunt", starring Lloyd Bridges, and thought the raspy sound made my the breathing apparatus reminded him of the wheezing sounds made by homeless men in the UK after years of their being exposed to the elements. -Back then his now former wife, a professional photographer, happened to be involved in putting together an exhibition on that segment of the UK population.

Unfortunately for Anderson, at the time he didn't realize that "Aqua-Lung" was a copyrighted name, and the manufacturers of that diving equipment weren't too thrilled that a rock band was making money hand over fist off a blockbuster album using their product name without their permission.

As such, Anderson was involved in litigation with the company for years, and in the end I believe some sort of settlement was reached between the parties involved, (which probably resulted in the producers of "Aqua-Lung" diving apparatus getting a nice chunk of the royalties/profits generated by that epic record).
Thick As A Brick is pretty solid too.

U2 - The Joshua Tree

(mic drop 😎)

U2 - The Joshua Tree

600.jpg

Hope you got to see the anniversary tour, it was beautiful.

1068.jpg

For my money, Power of Dreams - Immigrants, Emigrants and Me is the best album most people never heard of. Their first full album came out in 1991, featuring the incredible musical and lyrical talent of then 18-year old Craig Walker. It got some airplay on FM 106.3 and I fell in love with it, listening to it obsessively. They never really made it here at all, but were popular in their native Ireland, the UK, and oddly, Japan. If you like guitar-driven alt/pop, I think you'll like this. Here are two songs from that first album - the first one has a guitar wall-of-sound that is emblematic of their sound on their mostly up-tempo songs, while the 2nd is a bit of a ballad that has some truly pretty guitar work and lyrics. I spent a lot of time in Ireland in the 90s and heard the band played in a couple of my favorite pubs a lot.

This is my first time visiting this thread. Unless they are listed and I just missed it, these are two I would add to the list.

One obscure:
The Candyskins - Space I'm In

One not so obscure and really surprised it wasn't mentioned:
Men At Work - Business As Usual

Off the top of my head;

The Pixies - Doolittle
Ben Folds Five - Ben Folds Five
John Grant - Queen of Denmark
Against Me! - Reinventing Axl Rose
The Mountain Goats - The Sunshine Tree
Weezer - Pinkerton
Warren Zevon - Warren Zevon

Reactions: RU848789
Born to Run - Cover to Cover best Album of all time

Covering some things I hadn't seen posted yet and some "newer" ones.
Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory
Gaslight Anthem - 59 Sound
Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication (with the exception of Porcelan which is the "Mary Queen of Arkansas" of an otherwise amazing album.

Reactions: zebnatto
I would not use the word weak but agree on Judas and Sara. I thought Legend had a couple very good moments, but Judas stole the show.

But if we are going to Andrew Lloyd Webber then Phantom is a masterpiece.

I thought Legend was good at what he does good, he is a smooth singer. But I thought his acting was not good, and wasn’t near the level of Brandon, Sara, Norm Lewis etc.

Last edited:
Was "Born in the U.S.A." by Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band mentioned yet?

Born in the U.S.A.
Cover Me
Darlington County
Working On The Highway
Downbound Train
I'm On Fire

No Surrender
Bobby Jean
I'm Goin' Down
Glory Days
Dancing In The Dark
My Hometown

Reactions: CERU00
Alice In Chains - Dirt & Facelift
Live - Throwing Copper
Meatloaf - Bat Out of Hell
G&R - Appetite for Destruction
Boston - Boston
Rush - Moving Pictures
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Pronunced Leh-nerd Skin-nerd
Tool - 10,000 Days
Monster Magnet - Powertrip

Reactions: biker7766
Who's Next
Live at the Fillmore....The Allman Brothers Band
also,
Private Revolution....World Party
and
Life In The Foodchain.....Tonio K.

More I'll think of later maybe

Reactions: biker7766
Here are some that I like:
Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs- Derek and The Dominos
Crosby,Stills & Nash - debut album
Tapestry - Carol King
Innervisions - Stevie Wonder
The Doors - debut album
Who’s Next - The Who
Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band- The Beatles

A very recent album that I really like is Black Pumas debut album, I think one of the better debut albums I’ve heard in a while.

Tapestry - Carol King
The Doors - debut album
Who’s Next - The Who

A very recent album that I really like is Black Pumas debut album, I think one of the better debut albums I’ve heard in a while.
I love the Black Pumas album. In that same vein, Michael Kiwanuka's album Kiwanuka is fantastic as well.

Tapestry - Carol King
The Doors - debut album
Who’s Next - The Who

I own most of those albums, but all of them with the exception of Who's Next contain at least one weak tune IMO.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
I think we should forgive 1 weak tune.. sometimes they are added just to keep certain band members happy.
Most of albums in this thread that I'm familiar with have a lot of great songs with one or two "good" songs (some songs are greater/"gooder" than others too lol) , and beauty is of course in the ear of the beholder.

Actually the point of the thread was those rare albums on which the poster thought every song was good, which excludes albums on which a lame song is added just to keep someone happy.
I'm not gonna go through all of them, but I Am Yours off of the Derek And The Dominos album is forgettable at best.
It is one of my favorite albums nonetheless. I am a big Duane Allman fan....still not over his death.

I'm not gonna go through all of them, but I Am Yours off of the Derek And The Dominos album is forgettable at best.
It is one of my favorite albums nonetheless. I am a big Duane Allman fan....still not over his death.
I do agree with you that “I am yours” and “ Thorn tree in the garden” are 2 out of 16 songs or so that are not real good . However the rest of that album has very good to great songs, including the covers. it is a double album. I‘m also in agreement about. ”Skydog” Allman one of my all time favorite musicians, a very unique character.

Reactions: Kbee3
Obviously this thread will be biased toward the individual responder and his or her taste in music.
For me the Holly Grail is....
Born to Run (Bruce)
Every song on the album has been my favorite song on the album at one time. The album overall is a tribute to the Wall of sound concept developed by Phil Spector
The characters, living out the promise of their youth, on one hot New Jersey night.
Number two for me is ...
Darkness on the Edge of Town (Bruce)
Those same characters would now confront the reality of what those dreams would become.
Some would give up living and start dying piece by piece, some would come home and washup and go Racing in the Streets
Number 3....
Abbey Road ( Beatles)
Number 4....
I am going to cheat a little because it is a collection but....
Endless Summer (Beach Boys)

BTW, A great thread to start so kudos to the OP

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT