ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Alternative Energy

Huge water battery being built in Scotland

Drax Group? Uh-oh.

Drax-600x338.jpg
!

Reactions: RU848789
Realidad en España

"According to the national Wind Business Association (AEE), that amounts to around 7,500 towers, turbines and more than 20,000 blades that have to be dismantled, transported and recycled — a feat that poses significant cost and logistical challenges."

Realidad en España

"According to the national Wind Business Association (AEE), that amounts to around 7,500 towers, turbines and more than 20,000 blades that have to be dismantled, transported and recycled — a feat that poses significant cost and logistical challenges."

Seems like a waste, just run em till they blow

Realidad en España

The reality in Spain is that they are generating 22% of their electric power with wind and are pursuing expansion. Spain will have a blade recycling facility open in 2025.

Check out Antora energy.

Harnessing the power of the sun/wind into hot rocks that produce up to 1600' heat.

Privately held with investment from Bill Gates
Imagine that people are mad that a company has figured out a way to harness clean energy from the sun and wind. I guess it's Bill Gates that causing D Bag's anger.

• Haha
Reactions: bac2therac

World's most advanced grid-scale energy storage system lights up in Hawaii​

Not necessarily. The sources they're using, wind and solar, are not consistent or predictable, and also vary from season to season. If you're talking about nuclear or geothermal, that's a totally different story as they're a reliable source of energy.
I'd build the mini nuke reactors all over and go the lng.

energy independent, clean, etc etc

wind, solar, ev, is not efficient at all

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
I'd build the mini nuke reactors all over and go the lng.

energy independent, clean, etc etc

wind, solar, ev, is not efficient at all

You’re right on the first front. Incorrect on the wind/solar/ev, as well as the efficiency of the combustion energy.

They're still not connected to other power grids they brought on themselves. They need more storage of renewables as well . See the link i posted about Hawaii battery setup.

The article is a piece written by a hack. The 2021 blackout was largely caused by gas lines freezing, reducing pressure to fuel power plants, cuts in power, which then led to further reductions in gas pressure and more blackouts. Solar held up fine throughout. Wind reduced but not nearly to the extent nor volume of natural gas fired generation.

Your point is spot on - because Texas doesn’t want FERC regulation, there are few interconnects outside of Texas. A similar event occurred in 2011 and Texas was recommended to winterize their gas equipment - but that would have cost the utilities money so they didn’t make them do it - and FERC couldn’t compel them.

These deep freezes are going to continue for the foreseeable future, ironically, as a result of stratospheric warming.

Reactions: fg7321
HUUUUGE Scam! It takes more energy to produce the wind/solar than will ever be produced from them during their useful working lives.
If that were true then how are they making money? C'mon we're Rutgers grads, can we at least use some common sense.

Wind farms have been around in Texas way before the woke crowd arose. Way before they had the crazy tax credits ... And the main reason was because capitalism!

Safe long term investment which wind energy displacing other costly energy generation sources. You literally just have to look at any grid anywhere around the world and look at their 5 minute realtime bid prices (it's all public). Or even more simpler, a financial model ... If wind farms used more energy than they produced then EVEN WITH TAX EQUITY benefits they would be losing money. Doesn't matter if you're Trump, Biden, Haley or whoever, no one would be investing a single penny in it if is what you said was true.

Not necessarily. The sources they're using, wind and solar, are not consistent or predictable, and also vary from season to season. If you're talking about nuclear or geothermal, that's a totally different story as they're a reliable source of energy.

This! The people that work in the industry (I tangentially work in the industry) know that RE will never be 100% of the grid mix. However, it most definitely can be a large portion of the mix ... Forget the woke people, it saves money! That's literally what anyone should be caring about ... Forget saving carbon emissions or green this, green that. It literally saves ratepayers (us!) money!

HUUUUGE Scam! It takes more energy to produce the wind/solar than will ever be produced from them during their useful working lives.
Well the brain trust has checked in. Dear Brother Fathead please provide a link to your cogent comment so we can analyze it's hypothesis.

Well the brain trust has checked in. Dear Brother Fathead please provide a link to your cogent comment so we can analyze it's hypothesis.
I'm glad you acknowledge my superior intellect! now go get your shine box!

This! The people that work in the industry (I tangentially work in the industry) know that RE will never be 100% of the grid mix. However, it most definitely can be a large portion of the mix ... Forget the woke people, it saves money! That's literally what anyone should be caring about ... Forget saving carbon emissions or green this, green that. It literally saves ratepayers (us!) money!
I think that’s the issue here…

There are some who think or “feel” it will be or should be.

As for me, like I’ve said in any conversation on the topic, use ‘em all.

Are you sure about that? The windmills are made of steel. The process of making steel from mining to taconite all the way to turning it into steel produces a tremendous amount of carbon. I don't know the exact amount, but after watching this video on how steel is made, I can't possibly imagine that a windmill will ever produce enough clean energy to make a difference.

Are you sure about that? The windmills are made of steel. The process of making steel from mining to taconite all the way to turning it into steel produces a tremendous amount of carbon. I don't know the exact amount, but after watching this video on how steel is made, I can't possibly imagine that a windmill will ever produce enough clean energy to make a difference.

Steel is ubiquitous. You need it for rigs, pipelines, etc.

When comparing energy sources, you need to look at lifecycle emissions. Once a windmill is up, it’s produces energy in perpetuity. For fossil fuels, the perpetual process of exploration, extraction, fugitive methane emissions, refining, and transportation for fossil fuels is a huge source of emissions, outside of combustion.

Most of the energy in ICE vehicles is actually lost as heat, not used in propulsion of the vehicles.

If that were true then how are they making money? C'mon we're Rutgers grads, can we at least use some common sense.

Wind farms have been around in Texas way before the woke crowd arose. Way before they had the crazy tax credits ... And the main reason was because capitalism!

Safe long term investment which wind energy displacing other costly energy generation sources. You literally just have to look at any grid anywhere around the world and look at their 5 minute realtime bid prices (it's all public). Or even more simpler, a financial model ... If wind farms used more energy than they produced then EVEN WITH TAX EQUITY benefits they would be losing money. Doesn't matter if you're Trump, Biden, Haley or whoever, no one would be investing a single penny in it if is what you said was true.
How are they making money you ask? simple, They are being heavily subsidized by every lefty loon government.

When comparing energy sources, you need to look at lifecycle emissions. Once a windmill is up, it’s produces energy in perpetuity. For fossil fuels, the perpetual process of exploration, extraction, fugitive methane emissions, refining, and transportation for fossil fuels is a huge source of emissions, outside of combustion.

Most of the energy in ICE vehicles is actually lost as heat, not used in propulsion of the vehicles.

Yes, we need steel for everything. Even if you were to build a nuclear power plant (my preferred source for energy), it would take steel. But wind uses so much more. It takes 240 windmills to put out enough energy to equal one natural gas power plant. That's a huge difference in the amount of steel that needs to be made to make all those windmills. What I can't seem to find, is exactly how much carbon is produced to make 240 windmills. Also, I've read that the windmills only have a life of 20 years. Did you watch the video? Please watch it. It's not a politcal video arguing for one form of energy over another. It's just science.

Not perpetuity. They have useful lives. All of the above and they are included.

Forgot where I saw it, but there is a data center powered by gas that used to be flared off. That's what people should be innovating to create. Similarly, there are joint ventures involving pork producers generating electricity from what they artfully call renewable natural gas. V

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Forgot where I saw it, but there is a data center powered by gas that used to be flared off. That's what people should be innovating to create. Similarly, there are joint ventures involving pork producers generating electricity from what they artfully call renewable natural gas. V
thanks for the info and a quick google found this :
>pork producers generating electricity
A survey by the University of Oklahoma Department of Agricultural Economics of owners of anaerobic digesters on swine operations found that the systems produced methane that generated more than $179,000 worth of electricity each year with an initial capital investment of more than $2 million. Government grants covered about 60% of the initial capital investment. Carbon credits also provided some monetary value, which varies depending on the type of credits.<
https://www.porkbusiness.com/news/hog-production/look-3-successful-hog-farm-anaerobic-digesters

I'm all for cutting down on fossil fuel use whether it's travel related or energy used./
But feel using this "pork producers generating electricity" and other ways that combine
food being supplied to consumers and using that source for energy purposes is very beneficial for all of us if we want to replace oil and coal as the main energy sources used.
I feel fosil fuel and coal will always have a place when it comes to producing energy, but a far less role and reliance on them for energy produced should be a goal we all should strive for.
Using anaerobic digesters sounds like something that can be helpful in trying to be less reliant on coal and fossil fuel to meet our energy needs

Reactions: RUDiddy777

Great points - both are important. We need to prioritize methane emission reduction. Methane is 80x more potent at global warming potential.

Another use for nat gas is turquoise hydrogen.

I appreciate that you are being open minded as you've stated in your later posts.

One thing I'd like to mention is that it is quite ironic when you see the NIMBY folks using the carbon intensity of wind farms as an argument for coal/natural gas ... The reason that argument is hysterical is because steel (as currently produced) is carbon intensive because of the massive amount of coal byproduct (coke) and natural gas needed!

So it never makes sense to me that folks use this argument but can't seem to see the inherent flaw ... that what you are calling "cleaner" aka coal/natural gas is the same thing you are using to call the wind farms dirty. Never made sense to me.

Another way to think of your wind farm dilemma ...
  • Let's assume a wind farm operates for 10 years (on the low end but let's be conservative)
  • Let's say it has a capacity factor of 30% (this just means that it is on 30% of the year, again a conservative value if we think of the Texas panhandle or Oklahoma)
  • If you combine the two, that means it is active and producing energy for 3 years
  • During those 3 years, let's say that 50% of the energy produced is displacing coal or natural gas.
  • So 1.5 years of coal or natural gas energy is being displaced.
  • Do you really think that it takes 1.5 years of coal/natural gas energy to produce the steel for that wind farm? Clearly not ... and if that was the case, we would have massive energy shortages and quite frankly there wouldn't have been an industrial revolution
That being said ... everything has flaws, wind and solar included!

Great points - both are important. We need to prioritize methane emission reduction. Methane is 80x more potent at global warming potential.

Another use for nat gas is turquoise hydrogen.

Generate electricity by turning methane into CO2. I'd say that's a win-win.

I appreciate that you are being open minded as you've stated in your later posts.

One thing I'd like to mention is that it is quite ironic when you see the NIMBY folks using the carbon intensity of wind farms as an argument for coal/natural gas ... The reason that argument is hysterical is because steel (as currently produced) is carbon intensive because of the massive amount of coal byproduct (coke) and natural gas needed!

So it never makes sense to me that folks use this argument but can't seem to see the inherent flaw ... that what you are calling "cleaner" aka coal/natural gas is the same thing you are using to call the wind farms dirty. Never made sense to me.

Another way to think of your wind farm dilemma ...
  • Let's assume a wind farm operates for 10 years (on the low end but let's be conservative)
  • Let's say it has a capacity factor of 30% (this just means that it is on 30% of the year, again a conservative value if we think of the Texas panhandle or Oklahoma)
  • If you combine the two, that means it is active and producing energy for 3 years
  • During those 3 years, let's say that 50% of the energy produced is displacing coal or natural gas.
  • So 1.5 years of coal or natural gas energy is being displaced.
  • Do you really think that it takes 1.5 years of coal/natural gas energy to produce the steel for that wind farm? Clearly not ... and if that was the case, we would have massive energy shortages and quite frankly there wouldn't have been an industrial revolution
That being said ... everything has flaws, wind and solar included!

Thanks for the analysis. However, I'm still not sure. Remember, it takes 240 windmills (big ones, the ones that are 2/3 the height of the Empire State Buiding) to equal 1 power plant. The reason I think this is that I am unable to determine the amount of carbon produced by creating 240 windmills. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm just unsure. If you watch the video, you might change your mind. Before I looked into it, I really didn't know how steel was made. I knew it came from iron ore, but that's about it. Here it is again:

It's only five minutes long. It's not a pro fossil fuel, it's not pro wind. It's just facts. I don't know why everyone has a problem clicking on it. I admit it doesn't prove anything, but it might make you think. Even if you don't become skeptical like me, at the very worst, you'll still learn something.

thanks for the info and a quick google found this :
>pork producers generating electricity
A survey by the University of Oklahoma Department of Agricultural Economics of owners of anaerobic digesters on swine operations found that the systems produced methane that generated more than $179,000 worth of electricity each year with an initial capital investment of more than $2 million. Government grants covered about 60% of the initial capital investment. Carbon credits also provided some monetary value, which varies depending on the type of credits.<
https://www.porkbusiness.com/news/hog-production/look-3-successful-hog-farm-anaerobic-digesters

I'm all for cutting down on fossil fuel use whether it's travel related or energy used./
But feel using this "pork producers generating electricity" and other ways that combine
food being supplied to consumers and using that source for energy purposes is very beneficial for all of us if we want to replace oil and coal as the main energy sources used.
I feel fosil fuel and coal will always have a place when it comes to producing energy, but a far less role and reliance on them for energy produced should be a goal we all should strive for.
Using anaerobic digesters sounds like something that can be helpful in trying to be less reliant on coal and fossil fuel to meet our energy needs

Yes, we need steel for everything. Even if you were to build a nuclear power plant (my preferred source for energy), it would take steel. But wind uses so much more. It takes 240 windmills to put out enough energy to equal one natural gas power plant. That's a huge difference in the amount of steel that needs to be made to make all those windmills. What I can't seem to find, is exactly how much carbon is produced to make 240 windmills. Also, I've read that the windmills only have a life of 20 years. Did you watch the video? Please watch it. It's not a politcal video arguing for one form of energy over another. It's just science.

You need to look at lifecycle emissions by energy source - this is widely available. As far as cost, you need to look at levelized cost. Renewables exceed fossils on both.

Generate electricity by turning methane into CO2. I'd say that's a win-win.

That’s how it already works with nat gas fired plants. CO2 is still a problem. A less potent one in terms of GWP, but orders of magnitude larger in terms of emissions. Flaring is a problem…but better than fugitive methane emissions.

That’s how it already works with nat gas fired plants. CO2 is still a problem. A less potent one in terms of GWP, but orders of magnitude larger in terms of emissions. Flaring is a problem…but better than fugitive methane emissions.

But the supply of methane derived from pork producers occurs without any drilling. It's going to exist unless the world goes vegan. If it's going to exist the using it is all good.

Thanks for the analysis. However, I'm still not sure. Remember, it takes 240 windmills (big ones, the ones that are 2/3 the height of the Empire State Buiding) to equal 1 power plant. The reason I think this is that I am unable to determine the amount of carbon produced by creating 240 windmills. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm just unsure. If you watch the video, you might change your mind. Before I looked into it, I really didn't know how steel was made. I knew it came from iron ore, but that's about it. Here it is again:

It's only five minutes long. It's not a pro fossil fuel, it's not pro wind. It's just facts. I don't know why everyone has a problem clicking on it. I admit it doesn't prove anything, but it might make you think. Even if you don't become skeptical like me, at the very worst, you'll still learn something.

Here’s something for you. LCA is a GHG measurement that accounts for the full end to end. You’re absolutely right about steel requirements - but once those 240 wind mills are up, they no longer have emissions. That gas fired plant is producing emissions at generation and upstream in gas extraction. You may have fewer emissions up front (much like EVs vs. ICE), but over the long run they produce less. Also - because you don’t pay for wind, there’s no ongoing cost to consumers.

Reactions: fg7321
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT