ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Annual Tiger Woods Comeback Thread

Cool thanks I guess I like it. Not sure if I like the British being the last and no majors in August though. Interesting.

Their thinking was 2 months between the Masters in April and US Open in June was too long, and that with the 3 week Fed Ex Cup Tournament in late August, it was squeezing too much at the very end of the season.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-pga-championship-is-moving-to-may-and-players-are-on-board

https://www.pga.com/events/pgachampionship/5-great-things-about-pga-championship-move-may

Reactions: Zak57
Their thinking was 2 months between the Masters in April and US Open in June was too long, and that with the 3 week Fed Ex Cup Tournament in late August, it was squeezing too much at the very end of the season.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-pga-championship-is-moving-to-may-and-players-are-on-board

https://www.pga.com/events/pgachampionship/5-great-things-about-pga-championship-move-may

Only problem with that is no one really cares about the Fed Ex winner. Seems like PGA just wants people to care about it more.

Reactions: soundcrib
Only problem with that is no one really cares about the Fed Ex winner. Seems like PGA just wants people to care about it more.

I partially agree. It's not a major, but it's a huge payday, 10 million to the winner. Last year with Tiger Woods doing well in all 3 , winning the Finale and just missed winning the overall Championship, there seemed to be a whole lot more interest. Of course, having Tiger in contention will do that.

FYI- the first week of this years FedEx Cup is at Liberty National in Jersey City. They are looking for Volunteers, I did it once and really enjoyed it. I volunteered to do the 'shot link' which was measuring shots with a gizmo. It's fun to be 'behind the ropes'. You have to do 2 or 3 sessions, then you get access to all week rounds and practices. Usually a big party on Sunday night too, when it's over , for the volunteers. When I volunteered for the Barclays at Ridgewood CC, they had Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes, plus open bar and a good buffet for the Volunteers party. Some of the Pro Golfers come over to eat , drink and shake some hands and chat. There are about 20 roles you can volunteer for. You pay to volunteer though, lol.

https://www.pgatour.com/content/dam...2018/12/Volunteer Overview 2019 with link.pdf

Reactions: Zak57
I'm a big Mickelson fan, but Phil is now older than the oldest major winner ever (Boros was 48 when he won the 1968 PGA), so I think it would be a pretty tall order for him to win another - the window is closing rapidly, although he still is pretty competitive on occasion. Would be pretty cool to see.
And Phil has never been a fitness guy, which would probably have helped his longevity. He's not the guy you'd pick out of the line-up to win a major against the best young players in the world at 50.

And Phil has never been a fitness guy, which would probably have helped his longevity. He's not the guy you'd pick out of the line-up to win a major against the best young players in the world at 50.
Overall fitness, no. But golf fitness, yes. He can still hit it long enough to win.

Reactions: Caliknight
Overall fitness, no. But golf fitness, yes. He can still hit it long enough to win.

He's one of the rare people that actually added distance.

He's a member of a club called the Bridges in San Diego, where a buddy of mine is. I play it fairly often and every time I do, if there isn't a tournament going on, Phil is there. I'll say this. He looks a lot more doughy on television. He won't be confused for a bodybuilder, but he looks plenty fit enough for golf.

Tiger Mania begins at Bethpage. Absolutely no reason he won't win it. In many ways, he's a better player now than he was in 2008. The driver is more consistent and he can hit it both ways. 65% of his fairways at Augusta was back to 2000-2001 levels. If he putts, he wins. The iron play is total beast mode.

can walk the course and maintain club speed....low bar
Few players win majors in their 40s and never in their 50s, and I'm sure that more than club head speed and the ability to take a brisk, long walk is the reason. It's aging, and like with any physical sport staying in shape can help you with your game and hold off some, not all, of the effects of aging at any particular time. Mickelson isn't maximizing that, never has. Even with regard to what you mention, I'd bet that his club head speed would be better, or his power, if he were in shape--if he were stronger and more agile. But right now he has a couple of dozen players regularly out-drive him , which I'm sure wasn't the case in his mid 30s. I'd bet that there's more to it than that.

I like Mickelson. I root for him. Part of the reason that I like him is that he doesn't seem to care that he's become a schlub. But I'm sure it hurts his chances somewhat of winning another major.

Few players win majors in their 40s and never in their 50s, and I'm sure that more than club head speed and the ability to take a brisk, long walk is the reason. It's aging, and like with any physical sport staying in shape can help you with your game and hold off some, not all, of the effects of aging at any particular time. Mickelson isn't maximizing that, never has. Even with regard to what you mention, I'd bet that his club head speed would be better, or his power, if he were in shape--if he were stronger and more agile. But right now he has a couple of dozen players regularly out-drive him , which I'm sure wasn't the case in his mid 30s. I'd bet that there's more to it than that.

I like Mickelson. I root for him. Part of the reason that I like him is that he doesn't seem to care that he's become a schlub. But I'm sure it hurts his chances somewhat of winning another major.
Golf is different than other sports. Phil didn't win majors during the prime years (20 to early 30s). He won his majors between ages 34 - 43. Phil is not a dominate player and his chances of winning majors was never great. I think he can still do it but probability is low.

All sports are different from the other ones. And in all sports, age matters. If you're arguing that somehow it doesn't in golf, please go ahead. It's a loser. Saying that golfers can win big events at older ages than participants in other sports doesn't change the fact that they don't do it at Mickelson's age. Aging matters. And being in shape helps stave off the effects of age. It won't stop them. But it can help you perform better than you would otherwise. If you're not sure, ask everybody everywhere. I'm just not following you. But we can agree to root on Phil.

Anyone ever play the Black? My friend who is about a 12 hdcp did a few weeks after the last major there. He said brutal, commented that he couldn’t imagine how it was for the pros

Anyone ever play the Black? My friend who is about a 12 hdcp did a few weeks after the last major there. He said brutal, commented that he couldn’t imagine how it was for the pros
Played it at least 25 times. Once, in a pretty heavy wind, we were paired with a a 15 year old kid ranked 17th in the HS rankings in California. Said he wouldn't be happy with anything over 74. Played the tips with him. Decided I was going to play the most conservative round of my life. If I was out of position, settle for something in the fairway 100 yards from the hole and go from there. He attacked. The course broke him by the fifth hole and he didn't break 90, I did. It's tough but when its windy, its a whole different animal.

In the end, you have to hit your driver 240 minimum and straight. If you hit fairways all day and hit good irons, it's a walk in a really nice park. Miss a little and get in the rough and its a long, long day. Greens are flat and easy. I seem to constantly read things that aren't there. Putt it at the hole!

Reactions: RUEd
All sports are different from the other ones. And in all sports, age matters. If you're arguing that somehow it doesn't in golf, please go ahead. It's a loser. Saying that golfers can win big events at older ages than participants in other sports doesn't change the fact that they don't do it at Mickelson's age. Aging matters. And being in shape helps stave off the effects of age. It won't stop them. But it can help you perform better than you would otherwise. If you're not sure, ask everybody everywhere. I'm just not following you. But we can agree to root on Phil.
I'm saying it matters less in golf. You don't see 40+ yr old paying in the NFL or NBA. But there are multiple top 50 golfers in their 40s. My point is that age is relative depending on the sport. Phil won in 2018 and 2019. You can't exclude him from winning majors just because of his age.

Really hilly. Loved it but damn I was tired after it was over. Hard course but not brutal. Very fair. Played very well there before it started hosting majors. Cool town as well. Impossible to get on now and it was really hard than. A friend who lived close by parked his car the night before and slept in it. Similar to Hominy Hills back in the 80s and 90s.

I'm saying it matters less in golf. You don't see 40+ yr old paying in the NFL or NBA. But there are multiple top 50 golfers in their 40s. My point is that age is relative depending on the sport. Phil won in 2018 and 2019. You can't exclude him from winning majors just because of his age.
No one excluded him. I think this has strayed too far from my point.

I see your point but there is also a counter point that the reps of working out, compounded over thirty years, may actually have caused wear and tear injuries that have not occurred.

But overall, I know I feel a lot better when I'm at the iold HS weight and not 20 pounds higher. I feel stronger when I'm in the gym regularly. So it would reason he could get more out of his game if he went all in.

What he did do was go to a biomechanics swing expert that computer modeled every aspect of his swing and showed him where he was losing power. He's hitting it further now than he ever has.

He got beat by a birdie on the 72nd hole out in the desert, otherwise he might have two wins this year. Not a reason in the world he can't win this week. He seems to respond well to the adulation and support he gets from NY crowds.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT