ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Another Great Article From MLB

colbert17

Heisman Winner
Aug 30, 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
I got to think that they have TKR in mind because nothing out of season seems to generate more talk then baseball.
This one is their All MVP line up. I'll list their first teamer then their Honorable Mention next to them. Something to remember is that they are not comparing the totality of a players career just their MVP year.
Tough to argue with much here except I'd put Fingers first as the RP and Schmidt at 3B.

I did learn something here. Babe Ruth won a grand total of ONE MVP!!! How could that be!!!!
Well it seems that in the 1920's there was a rule that you could only win the MVP once. The AL didn't have a multiple MVP winner until Jimmie Foxx won back to back in 1932 and 1933.
As Rod Serling use to say..."For your approval."

1B - Albert Pujols Lou Gehrig
2B - Rogers Hornsby Joe Morgan
3B - George Brett Mike Schmidt
SS - Ernie Banks Cal Ripken
OF - Babe Ruth Willie Mays
OF -Barry Bonds
OF -Mickey Mantle
C - Johnny Bench Roy Campanella
DH - Don Baylor Frank Thomas
SP - Bob Gibson Walter Johnson
RP - Willie Hernandez Rollie Fingers

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-best-mvps-by-position

Don Baylor was one of my top ten favorite all time players and right up there with Willie Horton as one of the toughest players ever to play the game.

Here is what the writer said about the SS position:

Shortstop: Ernie Banks, 1958 Cubs
Honorable mention: Cal Ripken Jr., 1991 Orioles

No clear-cut winner between Robin Yount (1989), Ripken and Banks. Banks get the slightest of nods here for the most home runs and total bases, plus the highest OPS. Ripken gets the runner-up nod for having a higher OPS and OPS+ than Yount.

Maybe it's a PED thing, but how does ARod not even get a mention? In his 2003 year when he played SS, he had a higher OPS than any of them. Plus he won the Gold Glove, something Banks did not do.

Note for Derek Jeter fans: He did not qualify for consideration, never having won an MVP.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT