ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Another HS baseball oddity

hoquat63

All American
Mar 17, 2005
Center fielder runs in to tag out runner at home.
(Sorry too technically inept to post clip, but I’m sure someone else can.

I’ve seen heads up base runners at the highest level take advantage of open bases.
It sparks a chain reaction of chaos where no one is in the right place trying to cover for the original mistake.
I’ve seen catchers tag runners out at at 2nd base and 1st baseman tag guys out at 3rd.
I know because I was there😊

Last edited:
I’ve seen heads up base runners at the highest level take advantage of open bases.
It sparks a chain reaction of chaos where no one is in the right place trying to cover for the original mistake.
I’ve seen catchers tag runners out at at 2nd base and 1st baseman tag guys out at 3rd.
ever see two runners tagged out at the plate at the same time?? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: zappaa
What was the catcher thinking in all this
Was he on vacation

Looks like he was headed to cover third? Why wasn’t pitcher covering home?
Ok
But he wasn’t there when the runner rounded second and it’s not that far to go

Very strange reaction by all the infielders

Here is what I got from the video:

SS and 2B left their position to chase the pop fly, which landed in the Bermuda Triangle.

1B held his position as he should. However, once it was clear that the play had passed him by, he should have covered home.

3B left his position to cover second, however he was late in doing so. By the time he got to second, the batter had blown by him and was headed for third.

C was similarly late in covering third.

No clue what P was doing.

SS and 2B left their position to chase the pop fly, which landed in the Bermuda Triangle.

1B held his position as he should. However, once it was clear that the play had passed him by, he should have covered home.

3B left his position to cover second, however he was late in doing so. By the time he got to second, the batter had blown by him and was headed for third.

That’s the point.
In real time as it’s happening, once the SS and 2B were caught in the Bermuda Triangle, if the hitter is going all out from home plate, no one on the field has a clue where to go.
You don’t practice that scenario.
What do you do when you pick up the baseball and have no one relevant to throw it to…lol

Reactions: Doctor Worm

When I was coaching summer high school softball, we always told the 1st baseman to cover home to prevent p from getting into collision at plate. A lot easier to replace 1st baseman than pitcher.

When I was coaching summer high school softball, we always told the 1st baseman to cover home to prevent p from getting into collision at plate. A lot easier to replace 1st baseman than pitcher.
Pitcher covers 1B on ground ball to first baseman and covers home on a pass ball or wild pitch.
Other than those two, they should do nothing but back up

That’s the point.
In real time as it’s happening, once the SS and 2B were caught in the Bermuda Triangle, if the hitter is going all out from home plate, no one on the field has a clue where to go.
You don’t practice that scenario.
What do you do when you pick up the baseball and have no one relevant to throw it to…lol
That was some sprint by the outfielder.. when you look at where they were when the runner rounded third, you"d think no way in hell he catches him!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT