ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Applications for Rutgers NB have increased almost 40% for Fall 2024

As I stated earlier. My buddies daughter went to a good not great NJ public. Top 20 normal SAT’s for that rank, upper middle class. He’s paying 30k for UVA. What’s Rutgers cost?
The Rutgers in state tuition is about $16k. The sticker price for tuition UVA is $60k so the kid is getting some type of merit aid and he definitely smarter than most kids to get into UVa. If the kid is paying $30k that’s a great deal and even if it cost more it probably worth it due to their reputation.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Nope, you have been an insufferable prick in this thread, and it has nothing about sensitivity to Rutgers. I have stated in many places it has plenty of problems and it has. It's far from perfect, but nothing is perfect. But when it's a matter of shelling out another $100-200K to go to another schools, especially in the southeast that does not have a great (or even good) reputation in a major of the prospective student, it makes no sense. But then you decided to cherry pick stuff I posted and try to play gotcha.
Why? because I don’t think Rutgers is the only school in the world or that there are great opportunities all over the southeast?
Irony is I haven’t said one bad thing about Rutgers. Sorry if I think there are other great options out there. But I’m sure RU is better than everywhere else, it’s why their alumni give back so much. It’s why nobody has ever talked about the RU screw.

The Rutgers in state tuition is about $16k. The sticker price for tuition UVA is $60k so the kid is getting some type of merit aid and he definitely smarter than most kids to get into UVa.
They are paying 30k all in with room and board. She didn’t get in to one Ivy, Michigan, or Florida. UVA wasn’t her top choice but I can’t remember what it was. Line I said, UVA gave way more than FSU and other kid was much better student. But she will get in state tuition next year and then it’s cheap

They are paying 30k all in with room and board. She didn’t get in to one Ivy, Michigan, or Florida. UVA wasn’t her top choice but I can’t remember what it was. Line I said, UVA gave way more than FSU and other kid was much better student. But she will get in state tuition next year and then it’s cheap
The kid got to be exceptional to get that deal or you don’t know how well off the family is. Upper middle class might be a huge mortgage on a expensive house with a lower income than you would expect.

The kid got to be exceptional to get that deal or you don’t know how well off the family is. Upper middle class might be a huge mortgage on an expensive house with a lower income than you would expect.
Valid point about not knowing their finances but I do know they got zero financial aid when the son applied to Bosco, Bergen, Joes and DePaul.

Not only this, but even with OOS tuition the FL state universities are quite comparable to RU in terms of total cost. Then, when you are a good student, it quickly becomes less than RU. Everyone thinks it cost a lot more to go OOS. My experience is that its similar or even less when you consider merit aid.
because it is. Lesser schools will offer you money. If it’s a lot of money, great. But if it gets you to the same, go to the better school.

because it is. Lesser schools will offer you money. If it’s a lot of money, great. But if it gets you to the same, go to the better school.
Except Florida state schools aren’t “lesser” and I just said how my fiends kid is going to UVA for 30k

Do you think Rutgers is a better school than Florida State? And by the way, I could attend FSU as an out of state student for essentially the same price as Rutgers with zero money offered. This is one example, but pretty relevant.

Except Florida state schools aren’t “lesser” and I just said how my fiends kid is going to UVA for 30k
UF is 44k out of state. Which other Florida school do you consider equal or better? Very happy for your friend. One kid in my our high school got in and it’s full boat. Trying to compare the norm, not the exception.

UF is 44k out of state. Which other Florida school do you consider equal or better? Very happy for your friend. One kid in my our high school got in and it’s full boat. Trying to compare the norm, not the exception.
Question wasn't directed at me, but Florida States is essentially equal to Rutgers. I would suggest USF and UCF are quite similar as well. We all have scarlet goggles, but if you look, these schools are all in the same ball park. Rutgers is not some elite school...it's a great school, but not materially different.

Do you think Rutgers is a better school than Florida State? And by the way, I could attend FSU as an out of state student for essentially the same price as Rutgers with zero money offered. This is one example, but pretty relevant.
I don’t know anything about FSU. Never worked with anyone from that school. US News ranked FSU #53 vs RU at #40. The middle 50% also favors RU.

Question wasn't directed at me, but Florida States is essentially equal to Rutgers. I would suggest USF and UCF are quite similar as well. We all have scarlet goggles, but if you look, these schools are all in the same ball park. Rutgers is not some elite school...it's a great school, but not materially different.
I just used facts. I guess it’s all how you define materially.

I don’t know anything about FSU. Never worked with anyone from that school. US News ranked FSU #53 vs RU at #40. The middle 50% also favors RU.
53 is essentially the same as 40. And you can't use middle 50. Rutgers is test optional. FSU requires submission of SAT or ACT test. Obviously their numbers will be lower since RU numbers are only those with high scores submitted.

Here's a question: would you recommend sending your kid to Rutgers NEWARK or University of Delaware....using the facts?

• Haha
I did better. I went to UF's website and looked it up directly. Facts.
53 is essentially the same as 40. And you can't use middle 50. Rutgers is test optional. FSU requires submission of SAT or ACT test. Obviously their numbers will be lower since RU numbers are only those with high scores submitted.

Here's a question: would you recommend sending your kid to Rutgers NEWARK or University of Delaware....using the facts?
I would let my kid decide.

I just went on UF site and total out of state cost is actually $45,428.
That's not tuition, fees, room/board. That's including their estimates for books, personal expenses and other stuff. Cost of school is $40,158. And I think RU is about $32,000 if I remember correctly. And Florida State is $30,360, actually LESS than RU for a NJ resident. UF is the only one that is materially different than Rutgers in terms of cost.

Also, if 53 is the same as 40, then 40 is essentially the same as 27. That means 53 is essentially the same as 27. Do you think UF is the same as FSU?

Also, if 53 is the same as 40, then 40 is essentially the same as 27. That means 53 is essentially the same as 27. Do you think UF is the same as FSU?
In reality, there's not a whole lot of difference. UF is more difficult to get into, but at the end of the day, the schools are not significantly different. Rutgers is right in the middle...i would argue similar to both.

FSU and south Florida is now AAU AND after just one year pretty much everyone gets in state tuition. All you need is a part time job.

In reality, there's not a whole lot of difference. UF is more difficult to get into, but at the end of the day, the schools are not significantly different. Rutgers is right in the middle...i would argue similar to both.
And UF is light years ahead of RU in everything else campus wise. That’s the one school that killed me didn’t offer my kid.

Reactions: ScarletDog
Found the mention about college costs interesting. A couple of people referenced the UCLA cost as 200 - 225 thousand. When my daughter attended UCLA 1995 - 1999, I paid the whole cost, except for some out of pocket money she earned from part time jobs. My total cost was 67K. more than 3 times more in 24 years.

BTW I happen to know that UCLA is very aggressively targeting OOS students, including from the northeast. They have an accepted students session in NYC and DC every year. I am surprised the student you mentioned was not offered any aid.

Found the mention about college costs interesting. A couple of people referenced the UCLA cost as 200 - 225 thousand. When my daughter attended UCLA 1995 - 1999, I paid the whole cost, except for some out of pocket money she earned from part time jobs. My total cost was 67K. more than 3 times more in 24 years.

BTW I happen to know that UCLA is very aggressively targeting OOS students, including from the northeast. They have an accepted students session in NYC and DC every year. I am surprised the student you mentioned was not offered any aid.
UCLA total cost for out of state is $68K. That does not include travel back to NJ 6 times per year, so add another $3K. That's $284K over 4 years No aid offered to applicant with high GPA from one of the til State magnet technical HS, 1570 SATs, and strong extracurriculars. Said above, Rutgers aid package was phenomenal, bringing 4 year cost to aboit $25K, graduating in 2023. 🤷‍♂️

'Better' is largely subjective. Is a Mercedes better than a Mazda ? Not necessarily.
Rutgers is a good school but so are many others much further down the USNWR rankings list.

Rutgers isn't any different than it was a few years ago, and merely benefitted from changed ranking formulas. It didn't all of a sudden become a "better" school this year.

That's cute...very nice.
Thought it fit the bill.

BTW, someone else cited the USNWR ranking, but the USNWR rankings are not very good and easily manipulated. Probably worse than the coaches' polls for NCAAF.

There is actually not one great ranking system for Universities, many of which rely on reputation for scoring, which can change over time. IMO, research money is a fairly decent indicator in the strength of faculty.

And pure numerical rankings are quite comical unless you look at underlying data. Have made this argument for years regarding football recruiting rankings. Sure the top 25-30 teams have a lot of 4 and 5 star talent, but after that the numerical rankings don't often distinguish #40 from #50 that much. However, for University research it's different. See below.

In the latest (2022) rankings for NSF-funded research:
Rutgers is #46 at $712,231. Rutgers has fallen quite a bit since 2014 when they were #31. Not sure why that is so.

UofF is #25 at $1, 085,834. UofF is great University, and I never said otherwise.

USF is #75 at $405, 166

FSU is #82 at $355,986. They are not in AAU as someone above said.

USF and FSU are quite a few rungs down the ranking. They are both below Miami at #69, a much smaller school.

Thought it fit the bill.

BTW, someone else cited the USNWR ranking, but the USNWR rankings are not very good and easily manipulated. Probably worse than the coaches' polls for NCAAF.

There is actually not one great ranking system for Universities, many of which rely on reputation for scoring, which can change over time. IMO, research money is a fairly decent indicator in the strength of faculty.

And pure numerical rankings are quite comical unless you look at underlying data. Have made this argument for years regarding football recruiting rankings. Sure the top 25-30 teams have a lot of 4 and 5 star talent, but after that the numerical rankings don't often distinguish #40 from #50 that much. However, for University research it's different. See below.

Rutgers is #46 at $712,231. Rutgers has fallen quite a bit since 2014 when they were #31. Not sure why that is so.

UofF is #25 at $1, 085,834. UofF is great University, and I never said otherwise.

USF is #75 at $405, 166

USF and FSU are quite a few rungs down the ranking. They are both below Miami at #69, a much smaller school.
I agree with you on the rankings. Someone quoted USNWR and I countered with same data/rankings info. My whole point in this entire, too-long back and forth about OOS pricing is that you can pretty easily pay similar or even less at some similar OOS schools. This thing has winded back and forth and around the bend, starting with campus, housing, climate, you name it...bottom line is that Rutgers is not an absolute must do just because it's a great school at a good price. There are lots of factors for kids to consider and there are a lot of really good options.

Reactions: vkj91
'Better' is largely subjective. Is a Mercedes better than a Mazda ? Not necessarily.
Rutgers is a good school but so are many others much further down the USNWR rankings list.

Rutgers isn't any different than it was a few years ago, and merely benefitted from changed ranking formulas. It didn't all of a sudden become a "better" school this year.
I totally agree with you...and most of the schools mentioned would be closer to Mazda than Mercedes (Rutgers included). A good value and gets the job done very well.

The rankings change but the schools have not materially changed in same time period....very good point. I would suggest the rankings are not terribly valuable and are directional at best. Some use admissions rate to determine the best schools. This again is probably a good indicator, but if you look at Rutgers this year the admissions rate will plummet due to the massive increase in applications. By that measure, Rutgers will seem to be a much better school than it was last year. Same exact school...just a metric that was swayed by an influx of applications, primarily driven by conversion to the common app.

I know there is a difference between universities, but I don't believe the learning you get is significantly different from major university to major university. Even factors like "average starting salary" are skewed by geographic influences. Of course the average RU grad will have a higher salary than the average South Carolina grad. Look at the market most of the students live in. But does the South Carolina grad from NJ have a lower salary than the Rutgers grad from NJ when they return home and get a job? I'm not sure that's the case.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I agree with you on the rankings. Someone quoted USNWR and I countered with same data/rankings info. My whole point in this entire, too-long back and forth about OOS pricing is that you can pretty easily pay similar or even less at some similar OOS schools. This thing has winded back and forth and around the bend, starting with campus, housing, climate, you name it...bottom line is that Rutgers is not an absolute must do just because it's a great school at a good price. There are lots of factors for kids to consider and there are a lot of really good options.
What you say is true for some OOS schools, and that should not really be a revelation to anyone. Rutgers gives out a LOT of money to top students to entice them to go to Rutgers. In our case, it succeeded. Because Rutgers doles out so much money to the very top students, the students that are not in that group get less or nothing. And many out of state schools will throw money at NJ students to attend their school because NJ produces high caliber students that succeed.

I had mentioned, UCLA was an option for our oldest, and we had encouraged going out to UCLA to take a second look before making a decision, as we were open to spending more to go to UCLA, which is a top 5 public University, and it has a tremendous engineering and computer science reputation and placement.

With both of our kids, we did not push either one hard in any one direction. We had discussions about pros and cons of each school, the location, the strength of the programs, and the other things such as campus life, housing etc. Our youngest was accepted to all 12 or 13 schools applied to, including Rutgers Honors College. Ultimately chose Quinnipiac, which many will scoff at, but that was the kid's choice. Rutgers program for the chosen program did not have guaranteed entry into the professional phase (years 5/6) of the program. Rutgers website did not offer this, but instead says: "We are committed to diversity through holistic admissions process and have intensified recruitment efforts to enroll more underrepresented groups." Quinnipiac offered a great aid package. It was nowhere near as inexpensive as Rutgers, but things could not have gone any better for our youngest kid. He is currently studying in Spain for a semester, and will spend a month in Bolivia this summer on a public health fellowship.

Every kid is different, and if the parents have the financial resources, money should be a secondary consideration.

My oldest was accepted to UCLA, which is by far superior than RU in all aspects--beauty, prestige, quality of computer science department, but passed and chose Rutgers instead. Basically said to us (we were paying full tuition/room board to any school) that it would be a waste of money to spend an additional $180-220K to go to UCLA, and was fine with everything Rutgers had to offer.

I can see going to UCLA, Berkeley, UVA, UNC or Michigan over RU.

Other publics, not so much.

But I am glad your son had an excellent experience at RU like most of us did.

Reactions: RUDeac
Dude you have no idea what you are talking about.

You claimed RU is too spread out but then praise FSU which has a bus.

Literally no one outside of alums of FSU or Kentucky, and even probably some of them, would say they're more prestigious than RU.

Reactions: RUDeac

Everyone outside of Tallahassee thinks so, yeah.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight177lb
Thought it fit the bill.

USF is #75 at $405, 166

The reason they don't like USNWR is because they took out endowment which the one clown is insisting 18 year olds are considering- along with weather and the jobs mecca that is South Carolina lol.

No system is perfect of course, but USNWR has recently changed their method IMO to things that *ACTUALLY* count like post college salary. Unsurprisingly, RU is a leader in that, southern schools not. Diversity of all kinds, RU a leader, southern schools (outside of GA/FL/TX) lag.

Clemson and UConn infamously rigged the ranks before. They used to have a system where the college presidents were asked for a reputation score for other schools. The presidents of UConn and Clemson ranked themselves 1 but gave the Ivies all 5. I believe Northeastern was part of this too.

Now with much harder numbers being used, RU is #1 public in the Northeast, #15 nationally and #40 overall.

It is not surprising then when you see who has fallen (Cult and Clemson) and who has leapfrogged (RU, SUNYs, FL and CA state schools). But RU is still regarded better than any Florida school not named UF.

Weird...I thought everyone wanted to go to South Carolina for their jobs after graduation....

1. New York
  2. Chicago
  3. Dallas
  4. Los Angeles
  5. Atlanta
  6. Boston
  7. San Francisco
  8. Austin, Texas
  9. Washington D.C.
  10. Houston
  11. Seattle
  12. Denver
  13. Philadelphia
  14. San Diego
  15. Miami

Interesting. So #1 and #13 are both an hour from RU. But not a one of these cities is an hour from Clemson and FSU and Kentucky.

And there's Chicago at #2. But no one wants to move to the Midwest!

Florida has one city at 15....must be all the employers fighting for USF grads since now they're AAU LMAO

UCLA total cost for out of state is $68K. That does not include travel back to NJ 6 times per year, so add another $3K. That's $284K over 4 years No aid offered to applicant with high GPA from one of the til State magnet technical HS, 1570 SATs, and strong extracurriculars. Said above, Rutgers aid package was phenomenal, bringing 4 year cost to aboit $25K, graduating in 2023. 🤷‍♂️
I’ll be interested to see if either of my two apply to Rutgers (4-6 years away). They grew up going to games every year and will continue to be brainwashed that way. Ideally they’re get into a UC school that they like and we pay in-state tuition here. But I could see them considering going “back home” to college possibly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT