ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Applications for Rutgers NB have increased almost 40% for Fall 2024

Privates are simply too much of a rip these days

Rutgers taking advantage of it
It’s always been that way but people just waking up to that fact.

Also, people really don’t have a way to gauge colleges vs another college and more people use the US News ranking as their gauge. We value the ranking whenever it comes out and we know it doesn’t mean much.

It’s always been that way but people just waking up to that fact.

However there's a difference. If you take the cost of an Ivy a generation ago and adjust it for inflation it would still be cheaper than in-state Rutgers in 2023. That means more could afford it.

Reactions: BLewis1968
I’ll hold off on any excitement until I see the data and analyses.

Last edited:
Rutgers is becoming a cheaper alternative to the fancy private schools that many in the northeast gush over. The recent US News ranking and the continued surge in tuition is making top kids and their families consider Rutgers way more than 10-20 years ago.

Nothing to do with it. You still have school specific essays and other forms.
I’m not sure that we can discount the switch to the common app as a factor, among other factors like the cost of private school tuition, the rise of Rutgers in the rankings, and generally more awareness about Rutgers since we’ve been in the Big Ten. Success also leads to more success, and I hope that we can take advantage of this moment of positive trajectory.

Scarlet Jerry

Applications up at many places. Kind of a weird time for college trends. Lots of places dropping degree requirements. Corrupt gov investigation into Ivy unis they call corrupt. Donors fleeing and employers avoiding top ranked unis (the rankings have been kayfabe for awhile). Harvard grads a little shy these days.

"The Common Application reported that applications submitted in 2022-2023 were up 7.5% from the previous year. And the State University of New York (SUNY) system saw a 110% increase in 2023 applications compared to the previous year."

Reactions: RUaMoose
That doesnt just automatically apply to the university. It is a base piece, and then each university as other items that have to be completed.
I know, my oldest is in the process. It does make it easier. Supplemental essay is fairly generic. It’s not like RU is asking question like U of Chicago.

However there's a difference. If you take the cost of an Ivy a generation ago and adjust it for inflation it would still be cheaper than in-state Rutgers in 2023. That means more could afford it.
Not sure how accurate but my neighbors kid went to UPenn a few years ago and I recall him telling me that they have a policy that no student will graduate with more than $30k of student debt How they figure that out is beyond me

Edit: just found this so he wasn’t making it up but amount of debt is different for each student

Not sure how accurate but my neighbors kid went to UPenn a few years ago and I recall him telling me that they have a policy that no student will graduate with more than $30k of student debt How they figure that out is beyond me
It’s a need based formula. if they think you can afford it, you are not included in the statistic.

Glad our oldest passed on UCLA. No doubt a 'better" school than Rutgers. But instead of shelling out $250K, it was $25K for four years and ended up with a job at a top software company as a developer.
My brothers 2 kids made the same choice. Could have gone to any college in the country and chose RU for the amount of academic aid. My niece had grad schools flying her in for interviews they were recruiting her instead of the other way around

Glad our oldest passed on UCLA. No doubt a 'better" school than Rutgers. But instead of shelling out $250K, it was $25K for four years and ended up with a job at a top software company as a developer.
Now I see why you got the extended range lighting 😀. I think my oldest will not make that decision.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
My brothers 2 kids made the same choice. Could have gone to any college in the country and chose RU for the amount of academic aid. My niece had grad schools flying her in for interviews they were recruiting her instead of the other way around
Any NIL involve?

• Haha
Reactions: tomatocan
Now I see why you got the extended range lighting 😀. I think my oldest will not make that decision.
I could have afforded the Platinum. Our daughter is considering law school, and we will pay for that if she goes because we got off so cheap. So no CT for me! OTOH, our youngest chose Quinnipiac over Rutgers Honors College, but he wanted a small school and guaranteed entry into the professional phase of his program. At Rutgers, the website made it clear that minorities and underrepresented groups were given priority to enter the professional phase, and we passed. Even so, he did not want a large school, and he is thriving at Quinnipiac, now in the international public health special program. It is all about the right fit for each student.

Reactions: eddynyse
It’s not just privates, if you go to a state school from another state you are likely talking 45-60k
It ain’t cheap either to go to Rutgers if you’re not considered “disadvantaged “

But yeah, no reason to go to pen st unless you just really want to experience somewhere outside of NJ.

*Or find a school that doesn’t impose intrusive medical mandates

Last edited:
I could have afforded the Platinum. Our daughter is considering law school, and we will pay for that if she goes because we got off so cheap. So no CT for me! OTOH, our youngest chose Quinnipiac over Rutgers Honors College, but he wanted a small school and guaranteed entry into the professional phase of his program. At Rutgers, the website made it clear that minorities and underrepresented groups were given priority to enter the professional phase, and we passed. Even so, he did not want a large school, and he is thriving at Quinnipiac, now in the international public health special program. It is all about the right fit for each student.
i posted earlier in this thread or maybe a different thread. I did the RU tour with my oldest and they really made the school much bigger than it appears. Need to do smaller walking tours at the school you want to attend. Bus tour is a huge turnoff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT