ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Applications for Rutgers NB have increased almost 40% for Fall 2024

Seeing those application numbers makes me think we climb even further in next year's USNWR rankings.

the-wire-michael-k-williams.gif

Common App has makes it easier to apply. Test optional schools may also getting more applications from students with good grades but not high test scores.

NJ is a densely populated state so Rutgers can fill freshman classes with well qualified in state students. A school like Alabama gives full tuition scholarships to out of state high stats kids.

Reactions: m1ipabrams
A school like Alabama gives full tuition scholarships to out of state high stats kids.
This is ridiculous. Some of these high stat kids come from central NJ and don’t even consider Rutgers. They get tuition free scholarships to Alabama then don’t bother to graduate.

Antonio Alfano and Minkah Fitzpatrick come to mind.

• Haha
Reactions: RUnTeX
While the major no longer exists at RU, ceramic engineering
Technically but wasn't it basically repackaged as a Materials Science in Engineering program, maybe as it should have been many moons ago in order to make it that much more widely recognizable? A roommate majored in it and wondered this when he was in the program back in the day.

Reactions: HPNJRUfan
Technically but wasn't it basically repackaged as a Materials Science in Engineering program, maybe as it should have been many moons ago in order to make it that much more widely recognizable? A roommate majored in it and wondered this when he was in the program back in the day.
Those are fighting words to this ceramic engineer.😬 I have a sentimental attachment to the major that should probably give way to your roommate's view. We CEs joke that we are toilet bowl engineers.

A case in point, in my field (parents), we need to be jack of all trades. I remember an interview years ago at a white shoe law firm where some snotty ivy league putz was already looking down his nose at my pedigree, and he was having none of my spiel on the versatility of my degree.

I don't know how large Materials Science and engineering is, but I'm ceramic engineering was like a family

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
Courtney is a he, not a she. He has been profiled in the Rutgers magazine once too, soon after being hired into the role several years back.
Did not see pronouns in his bio and when I saw the woman in the front of his X profile pic, fair assumption? Thanks for pointing that out. Not sure we get the magazine at home any more.

Interesting. I am not aware of this law. Could you point me to it?

I would not be surprised if the university set its own geographic guidelines surrounding admissions, but I'd like to know more about the New Jersey law.

I am struggling to find the specific limit at the moment but we have discussed this on the issues board previously. @retired711 - do you recall the exact authority?

I am wondering if it is this regarding that "cooperation" governs the appropriation- meaning fulfilling the mission to educate NJ students or risk getting cut off.

I am struggling to find the specific limit at the moment but we have discussed this on the issues board previously. @retired711 - do you recall the exact authority?

I am wondering if it is this regarding that "cooperation" governs the appropriation- meaning fulfilling the mission to educate NJ students or risk getting cut off.

I believe there is no longer any legal cap on OOS students. But Rutgers has enough trouble keeping good NJ students here, let alone attract them from out of state.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
I believe there is no longer any legal cap on OOS students. But Rutgers has enough trouble keeping good NJ students here, let alone attract them from out of state.

Do you know by any chance where the old cap was in NJSA/NJAC?

RU has been keeping good students here. You're several years late about that opinion. Typical uninformed RU doubter that sounds like typical uninformed NJ resident.

RU has been keeping good students here. You're several years late about that opinion. Typical uninformed RU doubter that sounds like typical uninformed NJ resident.
Yeah Honors College really has been instrumental in that. Also incoming SAT scores are highest it's ever been.

Yeah Honors College really has been instrumental in that. Also incoming SAT scores are highest it's ever been.
Not just in state, but OOS as well. Only reason my son is at RU is Honors college(and the scholarship that goes with it). Anecdotally, the percentage of OOS and foreign students in HC seems higher than the rest of the university.

Actually I see your point. There's no article, no reference so what is the baseline?
Don't forget CoVid and mask-wearing and vacine mandates may have negatively affected applications recently. Could even have a whole bunch of people taking gap years because of the nonsense. Like, after CoVid, banquet halls were booked at ridiculous levels.. so many weddings put off... etc.

Those are fighting words to this ceramic engineer.😬 I have a sentimental attachment to the major that should probably give way to your roommate's view. We CEs joke that we are toilet bowl engineers.

A case in point, in my field (parents), we need to be jack of all trades. I remember an interview years ago at a white shoe law firm where some snotty ivy league putz was already looking down his nose at my pedigree, and he was having none of my spiel on the versatility of my degree.

I don't know how large Materials Science and engineering is, but I'm ceramic engineering was like a family
"Glass in the Modern World" - IYKYK

Reactions: Knight Shift
Don't forget CoVid and mask-wearing and vacine mandates may have negatively affected applications recently. Could even have a whole bunch of people taking gap years because of the nonsense. Like, after CoVid, banquet halls were booked at ridiculous levels.. so many weddings put off... etc.
See my post in this thread on Sunday at 2:02 pm. I provide Rutgers New Brunswick undergraduate applications.

Covid didn't have big impact.

Courtney in admissions need to tweet a clarification describing how he came up with the 40% figure in an earlier tweet. That would equate to a 15,000 to 20,000 increase in applications.

Reactions: jtung230
Common application
Good point. They should get rid of common applications. It's too easy for kids to include a school they aren't that excited about. And if they get in, they take away an acceptance from someone that might really want that school.

Reactions: Section124
Common application
I am long removed from the college application process with my kids but is Rutgers part of the common app now? Rutgers was always a pain because they were stand alone. If Common app I can see why numbers increased.

Good point. They should get rid of common applications. It's too easy for kids to include a school they aren't that excited about. And if they get in, they take away an acceptance from someone that might really want that school.

Of course the colleges love it because it gives a somewhat bogus boost to selectivity.

Btw, I asked my oldest who is in the process. You do not have to write any supplemental essay unless you want to apply to honors college.

Reactions: Section124
Also, I think its early applications are up 40%. This is probably means more people are applying early than regular decision. Common applications made it easier so no more procrastinating.

+1
As a ChemE student, I never stepped foot Livingston, College Ave, or Cook until I decided to do a dual degree program with History as well. Then my classes broadened out a bit. The Rutgers experience is way smaller and more focused than prospective students/parents think.
That wasn't my experience as an Eng major.... 1st semester had Chem and Chem lab on livingston, expos & humanity on college Ave, and everything else on Busch..

My brothers 2 kids made the same choice. Could have gone to any college in the country and chose RU for the amount of academic aid. My niece had grad schools flying her in for interviews they were recruiting her instead of the other way around
Graduated RU with no debt versus OOS with tons of debt.

Reactions: newell138
That wasn't my experience as an Eng major.... 1st semester had Chem and Chem lab on livingston, expos & humanity on college Ave, and everything else on Busch..
My first class on my first day involved getting on the B bus from the BAMM dorms over to Livingston for Tues 2nd period (T2 9:50) Chem 1 lecture at Beck Hall (where every freshman eng'g student had it) followed by T3 Chem recitation where the TA was a no-show. Chem Lab in the Beck basement as well, of course. Also on Livingston that first semester was Honors Expos while Intro Geography as my humanities/social science elective was on College Ave.

That said, I wouldn't argue the general point that for a good chunk of undergrads across NB/Pisc, the experience can be much smaller than lots of folks perceive it to be. Course selection/availability plays a role and some of that is in a student's control if they're proactive and strategic but sometimes you can be dealt a bad hand too.

To some degree, I wanted to make my experience larger, not smaller. Didn't always love dealing with travel between campuses especially at peak times but liked mixing things up and seeing different parts of the university. If the entire experience was limited to just Busch it would have felt somewhat limiting and monotonous, especially over 4 years.

That doesnt just automatically apply to the university. It is a base piece, and then each university as other items that have to be completed.
Btw, I asked my kid about this. You only have to add a supplemental essay if you want to apply to honors college. No additional work for regular application.

Reactions: gef21
Applications up at many places. Kind of a weird time for college trends. Lots of places dropping degree requirements. Corrupt gov investigation into Ivy unis they call corrupt. Donors fleeing and employers avoiding top ranked unis (the rankings have been kayfabe for awhile). Harvard grads a little shy these days.

"The Common Application reported that applications submitted in 2022-2023 were up 7.5% from the previous year. And the State University of New York (SUNY) system saw a 110% increase in 2023 applications compared to the previous year."

Well , the reason you are seeing this is to avoid having to go to a job. What age group drives the upswing in applications anywhere?

Btw, the actual number is out. Application increased by 67%. Went from 41k to 68.5k.

Forgot to tag @RUskoolie @ruinac
The acceptance rate should be close to 40% instead of the 66-68% currently published, which makes sense in comparison to other schools. I’m sure these schools are already on common app.

35 Univ of Illinois. 45%
35 Univ of Wisconsin 49%
40 Univ of Washington 48%
46 Univ of Maryland 44%
43 Ohio State 53%

Seems like an easy way to make some extra money on fees no? Basically seems like it's much easier to apply for anyone vs a few years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT