ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Applications for Rutgers NB have increased almost 40% for Fall 2024

I’ll be interested to see if either of my two apply to Rutgers (4-6 years away). They grew up going to games every year and will continue to be brainwashed that way. Ideally they’re get into a UC school that they like and we pay in-state tuition here. But I could see them considering going “back home” to college possibly.

There's a *yuge* difference between alums in other states (especially ones with excellent systems like CA) choosing their state school versus NJ parents who hate NJ and push their kids to lesser schools because of a fancy dorm and need to show their own money and values.

UCLA and UC-SB have incredible campuses. And you have a ton of other schools with excellent, heralded academics, Berkeley, Irvine, Davis, San Diego...

Reactions: Rutgers Chris
by sending the admitted 1st year students with lower test scores to off campus sites in Europe and California for a year, Northeastern was always able to report much higher scores for the on campus freshmen via that loophole in the reporting. Only the on campus freshman class scores were included in the USNWR formula

Last edited:
I’ll be interested to see if either of my two apply to Rutgers (4-6 years away). They grew up going to games every year and will continue to be brainwashed that way. Ideally they’re get into a UC school that they like and we pay in-state tuition here. But I could see them considering going “back home” to college possibly.
Well that Ash years made our kids hate Rutgers football. Sad, but true. The kids and most of their friends don't care a whit about college sports. 🤷‍♂️

You claimed RU is too spread out but then praise FSU which has a bus.

Literally no one outside of alums of FSU or Kentucky, and even probably some of them, would say they're more prestigious than RU.
Couple things here....and again, you have no idea what you are talking about.

FSU is a big campus...and has a bus. In fact, so does Kentucky since you want to bring them into it. But they are big campuses, not 4 distinct campuses that are in multiple towns. You cannot walk the 4 campus system in New Brunswick...just not feasible.

And I never said FSU was more prestigious than RU...I said it's similar. If you are considering rutgers to be prestigious you are wearing the extra strength scarlet goggles. All good, you are entitled to your opinion.

Weird...I thought everyone wanted to go to South Carolina for their jobs after graduation....

1. New York
  2. Chicago
  3. Dallas
  4. Los Angeles
  5. Atlanta
  6. Boston
  7. San Francisco
  8. Austin, Texas
  9. Washington D.C.
  10. Houston
  11. Seattle
  12. Denver
  13. Philadelphia
  14. San Diego
  15. Miami

Interesting. So #1 and #13 are both an hour from RU. But not a one of these cities is an hour from Clemson and FSU and Kentucky.

And there's Chicago at #2. But no one wants to move to the Midwest!

Florida has one city at 15....must be all the employers fighting for USF grads since now they're AAU LMAO
Of course the schools closest to the major cities are going to have the highest graduate salaries. But here's the thing...just because you go to a school in a smaller city doesn't mean you work there after graduation. Your logic is flawed and this is a flawed part of some of these rankings. Rutgers will score well relative to graduate salaries. But this is because, as you nicely pointed out, that NY and PHL are surrounding us. Most NJ graduates are from NJ, so it is logical that they will work here, hence the higher salary. The rankings are nice, but directional at best. Your scarlet goggles get thicker by the minute.

Sounds like they can't go wrong...either direction would be excellent.

Dude I'll say it again...you have no idea what you are talking about.

I'll admit that I don't know what I'm talking about. I've visited a ton of campuses in my lifetime, but none recently. I know what the current tuition is at schools, but I have no idea how much schools give out to students based on merit. All I have is an impression of what schools are better than others. My impression of FSU is that it was a women's community college up til the 70's when they became co-ed and added a football team. They've gotten pretty good at football and it's a great place to go if you want a spring break atmosphere all year long and get to go to football games and sing along with that stupid chant that sounds like a Native American song. That's just my impression.

My daughter grew up in NJ and went to RU games constantly as we were season ticket holders in football and basketball. She actually started going to RU games "very early". My wife's OB/GYN sat four rows behind us so we never had to worry. We moved to Cali between her soph and jr years. When we started looking at colleges she was greatly influenced by her years of visiting RU and some other NE schools. She hated the Berkeley campus, as well as several others schools because she had a vision that colleges should like NE universities. Thus she fell in love with UCLA and UCSB. Both more "traditional" campuses. Fortunately she was accepted at UCLA and has had a great 24 years there since then. Though she never considered RU, too far away, it had a major influence on which school she chose.

My daughter grew up in NJ and went to RU games constantly as we were season ticket holders in football and basketball. She actually started going to RU games "very early". My wife's OB/GYN sat four rows behind us so we never had to worry. We moved to Cali between her soph and jr years. When we started looking at colleges she was greatly influenced by her years of visiting RU and some other NE schools. She hated the Berkeley campus, as well as several others schools because she had a vision that colleges should like NE universities. Thus she fell in love with UCLA and UCSB. Both more "traditional" campuses. Fortunately she was accepted at UCLA and has had a great 24 years there since then. Though she never considered RU, too far away, it had a major influence on which school she chose.
We’ve been to UCSD (the amount of building there is insane) and UCLA. Haven’t made it up to Santa Barbara yet but that’s on the list.

I think the different campus offers something for everyone. If you like more urban feel, go to college Ave. want more typical campus setting, try Bush, Cook or Livingston. It may not be what some want and that’s ok.

That's the way I look at it. To me, College Ave is what a college is supposed to look like. I spent almost all of my time there and took every class I could there. Because I had practice, I couldn't take 4th, 5th, and 6th periods. Plus, I wanted to graduate in four years, so I did have to take a class on another campus here and there. I didn't like it, but it wasn't a major inconvenience. Some people like Bush and Livingston, but the problem is they don't have a town next to them.

If living situation is high on your list, go to Arizona or Arizona State. I was under the impression that Livingston has the best dorms now but not according to @ScarletDog. Am I missing something? All of my college tours didn’t include dorm tours. The dorms I have seen are Villanova and Babson via summer camp. Villanova is worst than RU and Babson was about the same. Would love to hear what are the better dorms like and where.

"Do you say Arizona State or HPVU?"

-Ted

Reactions: Rutgers Chris
Well that changes everything, now I'm convinced Clemson is the Harvard of Upstate South Carolina.

I only knew three people that went to Clemson. After they came home after graduation, they couldn't find jobs. Two eventually took commission sales jobs and one took a job as a heavy machinery operator. Good job, but you don't need a college degree for it. They all said Clemson was a great school and there were tons of parties. They also said there were quite a few good country and western concerts. I was happy for them that they had a good time, but my impression is that it's not great for getting a job after graduation.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
I only knew three people that went to Clemson. After they came home after graduation, they couldn't find jobs. Two eventually took commission sales jobs and one took a job as a heavy machinery operator. Good job, but you don't need a college degree for it. They all said Clemson was a great school and there were tons of parties. They also said there were quite a few good country and western concerts. I was happy for them that they had a good time, but my impression is that it's not great for getting a job after graduation.
They probably would have had better opportunities staying down south.

Deciding on a "major" which is in demand is maybe even more important than the school choice.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

I’ve interviewed plenty of morons who went to Rutgers, but I’ve also hired a few good ones. What matters most is how well you communicate and articulate. People can always learn the technical, but good communication skills are paramount in any job.

One can get a good education from any school. Rutgers isn’t very helpful with regards to finding jobs or educating. It’s more of a do it yourself type environment and personal initiative is very important.

I got my first job by going to Princetons career services building and lifting an opportunity from Prudential from one of their jobs binders. Mailed a resume with a cover letter , and that’s how I got my first real job.

While at Miami, I merely submitted a resume on their website and got a plum internship at a reputable software company, while doing my MBA. Never had any service issues, though I did spend double. Nevertheless, it was a top notch experience.

Reactions: ScarletDog
I’ve interviewed plenty of morons who went to Rutgers, but I’ve also hired a few good ones. What matters most is how well you communicate and articulate. People can always learn the technical, but good communication skills are paramount in any job.

One can get a good education from any school. Rutgers isn’t very helpful with regards to finding jobs or educating. It’s more of a do it yourself type environment and personal initiative is very important.

I got my first job by going to Princetons career services building and lifting an opportunity from Prudential from one of their jobs binders. Mailed a resume with a cover letter , and that’s how I got my first real job.

While at Miami, I merely submitted a resume on their website and got a plum internship at a reputable software company, while doing my MBA. Never had any service issues, though I did spend double. Nevertheless, it was a top notch experience.
Or technology changed drastically in between. Snail mail vs website. Wonder why it was easier.

Interesting thread.

Most posters on the Board are looking at school quality by referencing the US News ranking which deals mostly with undergrad programs which is fine.

However, US News also has two other University rankings (1) "Americas Best Graduate Schools" and (2) "Best Global Universities" which deal with the schools Graduate Programs and Research Prowess (and other criteria).

When one compares all 3 US News Rankings of a school a more complete picture of the university is obtained.

Example US News 2023 listing of "Best Global Universities" with respect to some of the schools mentioned in this thread.

UCLA (#14), UNC (#41), UF (#98), UVA (#119), Rutgers (#143), FSU (#241), USF (#317) and UCF (#413).

UCLA by any standard is a great University.

Aside from Cost of Attendance for a particular school, I would say deciding on the "Right" Major is almost as important as the school.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Reactions: bigmatt718
Couple things here....and again, you have no idea what you are talking about.

FSU is a big campus...and has a bus. In fact, so does Kentucky since you want to bring them into it. But they are big campuses, not 4 distinct campuses that are in multiple towns. You cannot walk the 4 campus system in New Brunswick...just not feasible.

And I never said FSU was more prestigious than RU...I said it's similar. If you are considering rutgers to be prestigious you are wearing the extra strength scarlet goggles. All good, you are entitled to your opinion.

You can. People walk across the bridge every day. Do you not go to Rutgers games, or?

No one outside of FSU alums would agree. And you know that.

Of course the schools closest to the major cities are going to have the highest graduate salaries. But here's the thing...just because you go to a school in a smaller city doesn't mean you work there after graduation. Your logic is flawed and this is a flawed part of some of these rankings. Rutgers will score well relative to graduate salaries. But this is because, as you nicely pointed out, that NY and PHL are surrounding us. Most NJ graduates are from NJ, so it is logical that they will work here, hence the higher salary. The rankings are nice, but directional at best. Your scarlet goggles get thicker by the minute.

I am responding to the comment that everyone wants to move to SC for jobs. That's BS.

Now do Boomers and Gen X want to move there to not have jobs? Or work remotely? And then try to sell their kids on it? Sure.

Anyway, I'm sure that kids graduating college want to earn less and live in small cities. Got any proof for that? I provided proof.

FSU and Kentucky and Clemson aren't going to do boo for getting a job where kids graduating want them. Rutgers will. Even in Southern cities that kids want to live in like Miami and Austin, employers have better choices.

And lastly, check out the graduate salary for totally isolated schools like Cornell or Dartmouth or other small liberal arts schools like Middlebury or Amherst. Those people take the first priority in NYC and other places kids want to be despite the location. Then RU and other NE publics like Binghamton or Maryland. And then...the Shop Rite Line Impressors like Clemson and Kentucky.

Let's be real, the unspoken part in this thread thus far has been kids want to party, they want to party with the "scenery" in the South and that a job when you come back will come from Daddy or his friends.

Whereas RU is for strivers, moving away from what's familiar, and building your own trajectory. That's not for everyone.

Reactions: RC1978
You can. People walk across the bridge every day. Do you not go to Rutgers games, or?

No one outside of FSU alums would agree. And you know that.
You don't know what you are talking about. These other campuses are walkable, but have buses. Rutgers 4 campuses in NB area are not walkable. Let's walk from Cook to Livingston....nice idea. Better yet, let's walk from Cook to College ave at 2am...nice idea. It's not a walkable situation...it requires buses to make the system manageable.

Regarding games, I do attend the Rutgers football games, but I would not prefer to walk from college ave to the scarlet lot...I prefer to park there. And I do attend hoops games...and I would never even consider walking from College Ave to the RAC. You are stretching things way too far an you know that.

Take off the scarlet goggles and go sniff the air in other places. Rutgers is great, but you think it's beyond comparison...you aren't right.

Reactions: vkj91
I am responding to the comment that everyone wants to move to SC for jobs. That's BS.

Now do Boomers and Gen X want to move there to not have jobs? Or work remotely? And then try to sell their kids on it? Sure.

Anyway, I'm sure that kids graduating college want to earn less and live in small cities. Got any proof for that? I provided proof.

FSU and Kentucky and Clemson aren't going to do boo for getting a job where kids graduating want them. Rutgers will. Even in Southern cities that kids want to live in like Miami and Austin, employers have better choices.

And lastly, check out the graduate salary for totally isolated schools like Cornell or Dartmouth or other small liberal arts schools like Middlebury or Amherst. Those people take the first priority in NYC and other places kids want to be despite the location. Then RU and other NE publics like Binghamton or Maryland. And then...the Shop Rite Line Impressors like Clemson and Kentucky.
I honestly am done with you pal. It's a circular argument and it has run its course.

You don't know what you are talking about. These other campuses are walkable, but have buses. Rutgers 4 campuses in NB area are not walkable. Let's walk from Cook to Livingston....nice idea. Better yet, let's walk from Cook to College ave at 2am...nice idea. It's not a walkable situation...it requires buses to make the system manageable.

Regarding games, I do attend the Rutgers football games, but I would not prefer to walk from college ave to the scarlet lot...I prefer to park there. And I do attend hoops games...and I would never even consider walking from College Ave to the RAC. You are stretching things way too far an you know that.

Take off the scarlet goggles and go sniff the air in other places. Rutgers is great, but you think it's beyond comparison...you aren't right.
The buses for me at least would half of the time take you to a class on another campus faster than a class on your own campus you had to walk to. The buses typically drop you off right in front of most classrooms.

They could be annoying at times during rush hour, but the app on your phone tells you when a bus is coming and leaving.

The buses being a negative is so overblown. Honestly, some of the best times at Rutgers were spent on those buses at 2am.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
The buses for me at least would half of the time take you to a class on another campus faster than a class on your own campus you had to walk to. The buses typically drop you off right in front of most classrooms.

They could be annoying at times during rush hour, but the app on your phone tells you when a bus is coming and leaving.

The buses being a negative is so overblown. Honestly, some of the best times at Rutgers were spent on those buses at 2am.
I think Most posters here attended Rutgers long before there were apps on a phone lol. (Me included).

Reactions: RU205

Somehow I managed that before smartphones.

But only Rutgers has long walks. FSU is the Harvard of North Florida and if you need walk a distance a free Maybach Uber pulls up and escorts you to your dorm which is basically a penthouse, go visit colleges and see!

Somehow I managed that before smartphones.

But only Rutgers has long walks. FSU is the Harvard of North Florida and if you need walk a distance a free Maybach Uber pulls up and escorts you to your dorm which is basically a penthouse, go visit colleges and see!
Dude you prove to be a moron day after day. It's entertaining. Keep those scarlet goggles on...the fit you well.

I think I'm finally beginning to understand...shame on me for taking so long.
I will debate on things, but I like to find common ground. Sometimes, I'm salty in these forums, but I do strive to keep the tone civil the same way as if I was having a debate in person. It used to be perfectly fine to agree on some things but not on others. Mr. Not has accused me several times of taking both sides of an argument, but how the heck does one find common ground if they are entrenched far off on one side? As far as this thread and this topic, different kids and their families want different things and see Rutgers in different ways than other schools. It's freedom of choice. Revelation- people have different opinions!

I will debate on things, but I like to find common ground. Sometimes, I'm salty in these forums, but I do strive to keep the tone civil the same way as if I was having a debate in person. It used to be perfectly fine to agree on some things but not on others. Mr. Not has accused me several times of taking both sides of an argument, but how the heck does one find common ground if they are entrenched far off on one side? As far as this thread and this topic, different kids and their families want different things and see Rutgers in different ways than other schools. It's freedom of choice. Revelation- people have different opinions!
Amen to that.

There is a difference between seeing both sides and taking both. Or in your case, pretending to see both sometimes.

Where did I say people don't have freedom to choose? I think the issue was the people saying their choices shouldn't be scrutinized. Personally I think the choices you have shared in the thread make sense. The choice to go to FSU or Kentucky or Clemson over RU would be panned for obvious reasons basically everywhere.

I guess that is a "trope" lol.

There is a difference between seeing both sides and taking both. Or in your case, pretending to see both sometimes.

Where did I say people don't have freedom to choose? I think the issue was the people saying their choices shouldn't be scrutinized. Personally I think the choices you have shared in the thread make sense. The choice to go to FSU or Kentucky or Clemson over RU would be panned for obvious reasons basically everywhere.

I guess that is a "trope" lol.
This is why you have earned the nickname "Bot."
Pretending? Nope, never. It used to be OK to reject and accept talking points for different sides of the spectrum. But from your perspective and your ilk, anyone who dares to not prostrate themselves at the altar is a heathen and a castaway. Good luck with that.

This is why you have earned the nickname "Bot."
Pretending? Nope, never. It used to be OK to reject and accept talking points for different sides of the spectrum. But from your perspective and your ilk, anyone who dares to not prostrate themselves at the altar is a heathen and a castaway. Good luck with that.

You literally attempted to justify appointing the prosecutor who let off Epstein because of Bill Clinton, lol. What office is he running for?

The sad part is you have a law degree from a reputable school. So you know better. But need to appeal to the lowest common denominator for whatever reason. You know what mens rea is. They don't. That's not a "talking point." Just the facts. Sometimes the facts don't present on both sides. Again as you well know in your day job.

You were plenty cordial and agreeing with me in this thread until you saw something in another thread you didn't like. Does that mean accepting all sides of the spectrum?

I'm only passing one what was passed on to me. I'll straighten my friend out. If I lose a friend, it's on you. 😂
Btw, all of the accepted students should’ve received the welcome packet now. On par with other colleges.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT