ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ash Nightmare

May 11, 2010
Florida Panhandle
Had a dream last night where I ran into Chris Ash at a practice field

He was wearing a white RU Football shirt, had a whistle around his neck.

I asked him where he's coaching this season and he said he's back at Rutgers, things changed.

emu2046-Art-Print_700x.jpg

How can such a good position coach be a bad head coach? I can understand why the offense would be so bad but why did the defense suck?

How can such a good position coach be a bad head coach? I can understand why the offense would be so bad but why did the defense suck?

Well for one, the offense was atrocious, leading the defense to be on the field more than they should, which then leads to fatigue. For the bulk of Ash's tenure the defense was solid until about half time, and then they would just run out of gas.

Couple that with his worse than Flood recruiting, means there was no depth, so once the few good players got winded it compounded into just a defense that seemed like pylons on the field.

Ash might have been decent leading one facet of the defense, but couldn't control the entire defense, yet alone the rest of the team.

Reactions: Sir ScarletKnight
Because he basically tried to change everything at once.
Well for one, the offense was atrocious, leading the defense to be on the field more than they should, which then leads to fatigue. For the bulk of Ash's tenure the defense was solid until about half time, and then they would just run out of gas.
The fact that we also seemed to change offenses every single season under him didn't help one bit. And I think bringing in Wonder Boy for his first season has drastic effects on the offense for the next couple of season.

[/QUOTE]
the overriding issue with the ash tenure was he could not recruit BIG caliber talent. This was caused by his complete arrogance and neglect of NJ’s HS coaches. Ash was putting Monmouth U. Players against 4 & 5 star players in the BIG.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
Because he basically tried to change everything at once.

The fact that we also seemed to change offenses every single season under him didn't help one bit. And I think bringing in Wonder Boy for his first season has drastic effects on the offense for the next couple of season.
Wonder Boy...I can still hear our QBs clapping signals in the shot gun...ugh.

the overriding issue with the ash tenure was he could not recruit BIG caliber talent. This was caused by his complete arrogance and neglect of NJ’s HS coaches. Ash was putting Monmouth U. Players against 4 & 5 star players in the BIG.
[/QUOTE]

Totally different being a Head Coach versus being an assistant.

bbfd645bad811ff7cb703b9fa8fc323a.gif

Agreed, in addition to that he continued to coach like he had the 4&5 star players. His style is fine when you can out-athlete everyone, but breaks down when you have to scheme and plan to win games.

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
bbfd645bad811ff7cb703b9fa8fc323a.gif

Agreed, in addition to that he continued to coach like he had the 4&5 star players. His style is fine when you can out-athlete everyone, but breaks down when you have to scheme and plan to win games.
Exactly! At some point we should do a forensic review of the Ash Era but the bad memories are still too fresh for most of us. In fact maybe it’s better we leave Ash in the rear view mirror and focus on the future. I am most excited to see how GLEESONS offense is going to be. RU has never really been known for its offenses so seeing what Gleeson can do to change that is going to be really exciting! Let’s get the BIG playing now! RU READY TO GET READY?

Defense didn't show up many games as well. Kansas and indiana ring any bells?

Remember the weeks leading up to the KU road game when the majority of our fans here were expecting an easy win.

Myself and a few others pencilled it in as a likely loss and i got crucified.

Ash was a loser head coach, a disgrace to the program.

...with the '18 KU game, I was at work and would periodically check the score. At 24-7 in the 2nd quarter I knew Ash was done here and thought he should have been let go immediately following the game (I know that's not exactly realistic but it didn't take the Hubble to see where we were headed under Ash moving forward). I still consider this game to be one of, if not the most embarrassing loss in our history.

Joe P.

Reactions: redking
Only 1 person to blame for the Ash Error ... Hobbs. He hired him. But I'm over it now. Schiano is back. Hopefully we'll see football back on the Banks soon!

Remember the weeks leading up to the KU road game when the majority of our fans here were expecting an easy win.

I wasn't down for "easy" but yes, I expected a win. I was sitting in the stadium, stunned by what I saw, and then walking around Lawrence, and every RU fan I ran into I said "My god - we are back to Terry Shea mid 90s level of futility". Everyone's response was something like "I know, right?" None of them were fair weather bandwagon jumpers.

Reactions: scripts and redking
Thing is he's back to coaching 4 and 5 star talent. I wonder how he will impact the Longhorns' defense? And remember that before he was a DC, he coached the secondary. He'll have to do some pretty special things to deal with the all-out pass-happy B12 offenses.

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
...with the '18 KU game, I was at work and would periodically check the score. At 24-7 in the 2nd quarter I knew Ash was done here and thought he should have been let go immediately following the game (I know that's not exactly realistic but it didn't take the Hubble to see where we were headed under Ash moving forward). I still consider this game to be one of, if not the most embarrassing loss in our history.

Joe P.
The end of the Ash error was game 6. 78-0 loss primetime national TV to Michigan. 22 total yards. 16 punts. A Jabrill Peppers 3 hour commercial.

You can draw a line at that game comparing recruiting before and after.

Reactions: RUaMoose
Why do you insist on living in the past. A waste of time---give it up ,he's gone

Reactions: czxqa
who's denying history --LIVING in the past is a WASTE OF TIME

Thing is he's back to coaching 4 and 5 star talent. I wonder how he will impact the Longhorns' defense?
Well we got that answer yesterday. I'm waiting to hear the excuses start flowing.

In Texas' first game against a real opponent Ash's D yielded 56 points against Texas Tech, an unranked team. I thought he was a great DC but he just couldn't make the jump to HC ?

Ash’s D gave up a huge TD on a QB draw with 4 minutes left in the 4th Quarter. Someone blew gap integrity. Texas loses. They kept showing him on the sideline reminiscent of Rob Ryan

Coach Ash doing a great job. Defense gave up 62 last week. Only 33 ltoday. What an improvement. Dude robbing Texas now instead of us.

Myself and a few others pencilled it in as a likely loss and i got crucified.

Ash was a loser head coach, a disgrace to the program.
Ash sucked but why do you and a couple of other posters do this? I can only picture a kid with a running snot down his lip when I read posts like this.

I wasn't down for "easy" but yes, I expected a win. I was sitting in the stadium, stunned by what I saw, and then walking around Lawrence, and every RU fan I ran into I said "My god - we are back to Terry Shea mid 90s level of futility". Everyone's response was something like "I know, right?" None of them were fair weather bandwagon jumpers.

Kansas was a favorite in that game so I don't see how anyone was "expecting" a win let alone an easy one. Perhaps we're talking about before the season started in our season prediction threads. I thought we'd win that game in August but not leading up to the game after getting pummeled by OSU

Coach Ash doing a great job. Defense gave up 62 last week. Only 33 ltoday. What an improvement. Dude robbing Texas now instead of us.

He’s a great DC so we’re told. Just couldn’t make the jump to HC. I never bought the great, or even good DC part.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT