ADVERTISEMENT

OT attendance

djrc89

All Conference
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2001
Just saw 8400 for Iowa at Nebraska. That’s just unreal. I miss having big crowds for the women.

Yes, I miss big crowds too, but you have to remember that there are not as many thing to do in Nebraska as there are in New Jersey.

New Jersey has NINE million people. Our football stadium only holds 52,000 and our arena holds 8,000, which is the size of some Indiana high school gyms. Every football, basketball, wrestling, event should be sold out. No more excuses, I have heard too many of them over the decades. We have counties that have more people than some states.

Gotta put in the work to expand the fan base. i don't know who ...marketing dept, AD, coaching staff, etc. ........somebody has to put in the work. Just like the AD did for Viv out in Iowa according to the article that was shared several posts ago.

New Jersey has NINE million people. Our football stadium only holds 52,000 and our arena holds 8,000, which is the size of some Indiana high school gyms. Every football, basketball, wrestling, event should be sold out. No more excuses, I have heard too many of them over the decades. We have counties that have more people than some states.

Those places don’t charge $10 for parking on top of $25+ for a general admission ticket either. Between the cost and other options available, you are going to have a hard time getting a casual fan to RU WBB in NJ especially with the old school style of play.

Nebraska was the exception with those #'s today. Also watched a little bit of UConn game, place was basically empty, also, the Georgia game attendance was sparse as well.
Edit to add: 1st time I eyed the UConners today, wow, Geno is not aging well, he looked awful. Wonder if he is ill, or just getting freaking old like some of us. UConn looked very unimpressive as well.

Last edited:
Although, big crowds right now may not be a good idea.... For our hospital workers' sake, the economy's sake, and so on. Just heard there is a new one on the way called Deltacron or something like that.
Lol..

Those places don’t charge $10 for parking on top of $25+ for a general admission ticket either. Between the cost and other options available, you are going to have a hard time getting a casual fan to RU WBB in NJ especially with the old school style of play.
I guess you haven't been to a game a few. There is no charge for parking for WBB.

Reactions: Esipos1
Being that they have charged for parking historically, I'm sure that drove away a good number of prospective regular fans over the years.

Now if they would offer a $5 or $10 ticket for upper section seating, we may get more families with young folks to come out.

Reactions: Bon1674
Being that they have charged for parking historically, I'm sure that drove away a good number of prospective regular fans over the years.

Now if they would offer a $5 or $10 ticket for upper section seating, we may get more families with young folks to come out.
I totally agree. I also think it was great when they brought in young basketball teams to play during half time.

I guess you haven't been to a game a few. There is no charge for parking for WBB.

You are right, but that's a pretty recent change when they added the parking deck. Before that I was a long time season ticket holder until 2012, then a partial season ticket holder, then a few single games until Covid. The point is, it's way more expensive to see a RU WBB than other local WBB teams (Princeton, Penn, Penn State, Seton Hall).

You are right, but that's a pretty recent change when they added the parking deck. Before that I was a long time season ticket holder until 2012, then a partial season ticket holder, then a few single games until Covid. The point is, it's way more expensive to see a RU WBB than other local WBB teams (Princeton, Penn, Penn State, Seton Hall).
I agree. It is not an affordable activity for a family of 4.

One issue I have with ALL our sports is lack of marketing and advertising to the general public. You could probably walk into a gym on a Saturday morning for a girls youth game in Parsippany, Point Pleasant, Cherry Hill, Andover, etc. and ask them when the next home game is for their State University and team,how to get tickets, prices, etc. and they would have no idea. If you go to scarletknights.com and look at the Athletic Department staff directory,most Rutgers fans would be stunned at the number of employees. I have no idea what they do. To walk into a Shop Rite and see NO Rutgers promotions is beyond pathetic. Haven’t any of them ever worked at a Power Five school ?

Last edited:
Last WBB game the 200 level was empty and I counted the crowd was less than 300 people.

Although, big crowds right now may not be a good idea.... For our hospital workers' sake, the economy's sake, and so on. Just heard there is a new one on the way called Deltacron or something like that.
Please tell me this is satire

I wish it was. I actually heard on the news a few days ago that there is a new strand that has been discovered in Europe or Asia(can't remember) that has the characteristics of both the Delta and Omicron strands. They don't yet know what that means in terms of overall effects on the population.

I wish it was. I actually heard on the news a few days ago that there is a new strand that has been discovered in Europe or Asia(can't remember) that has the characteristics of both the Delta and Omicron strands. They don't yet know what that means in terms of overall effects on the population.
You might not like my answer but it’s get vaccinated and boosted, quit testing, quit counting, quit masking and go on as normal.
If you’re sick stay home.
If you only have a mild sickness you’d ordinarily ignore, work or play with….do so.
Children have suffered long enough

You're right, I'm not a fan of that answer. I just don't understand that approach to a problem such as this.

As much as we have a large portion of the population that wants to make things go back to normal, your approach and that of nonvaxers is what is keeping us from getting back to a true semblance of normalcy.

Like the vaxed and boosted part........I feel that testing is not a bad idea in work spaces. You want to know as soon as possible so if positive you don't add to the spread .

Quit masking?? .........If mild, ignore and just go ahead and work or play as you normally would???

First off, you say if you're sick stay home(I agree with that), then you say in the next sentence, go out and live life normally even if you are sick. And do it without a mask. Mild sickness is sickness, especially with this virus. Asymptomatic can spread the virus.

I don't understand. You really care about kids? They are showing up in hospitals now in much higher numbers and some are dying (most who haven't been vaccinated). Yes, unvaccinated are in the most danger but if you don't wear a mask around groups of people, it is possible you could be asymptomatic and pass it to someone else vaxed or unvaxed who ends up dying.

What about kids who are now going to have to deal with long-term covid effects (some doctors are saying that omicron is causing diabetes in many patients). God forbid kids end up with no parent(s) due to covid deaths. It is happening. Even boosted population can get breakthrough cases and complications if they have other ailments. Many people do have other ailments these days.

For me, I and my kids will continue to wear the masks around crowds of people and keep up with booster, so that we hopefully, will not have to suffer for real. Why would I send my kids to school without a mask or go out without one and risk my life when my kids need me to be around.?

You're right, I'm not a fan of that answer. I just don't understand that approach to a problem such as this.

As much as we have a large portion of the population that wants to make things go back to normal, your approach and that of nonvaxers is what is keeping us from getting back to a true semblance of normalcy.

Like the vaxed and boosted part........I feel that testing is not a bad idea in work spaces. You want to know as soon as possible so if positive you don't add to the spread .

Quit masking?? .........If mild, ignore and just go ahead and work or play as you normally would???

First off, you say if you're sick stay home(I agree with that), then you say in the next sentence, go out and live life normally even if you are sick. And do it without a mask. Mild sickness is sickness, especially with this virus. Asymptomatic can spread the virus.

I don't understand. You really care about kids? They are showing up in hospitals now in much higher numbers and some are dying (most who haven't been vaccinated). Yes, unvaccinated are in the most danger but if you don't wear a mask around groups of people, it is possible you could be asymptomatic and pass it to someone else vaxed or unvaxed who ends up dying.

What about kids who are now going to have to deal with long-term covid effects (some doctors are saying that omicron is causing diabetes in many patients). God forbid kids end up with no parent(s) due to covid deaths. It is happening. Even boosted population can get breakthrough cases and complications if they have other ailments. Many people do have other ailments these days.

For me, I and my kids will continue to wear the masks around crowds of people and keep up with booster, so that we hopefully, will not have to suffer for real. Why would I send my kids to school without a mask or go out without one and risk my life when my kids need me to be around.?
I completely respect your answer and advocate you do whatever you feel is best for you and your family.
Statistics drive my views and kids don’t die from this, nor do healthy fully vaccinated and boosted adults.
My doctor has treated hundreds of Covid patients with zero hospitalizations for the fully vaccinated, as I am.
I do not fear this, I’m certain if I have a Covid experience it will be sniffles and a headache for a day….And I’m 65

Reactions: bac2therac
Yes, I miss big crowds too, but you have to remember that there are not as many thing to do in Nebraska as there are in New Jersey.
While that is true NJ has over 9 million people which should include a segment of the population interested in womens basketball.

I don't fear this either, but I respect it.

It's good to know what the statistics say about children but it's of little to no consolation to the parents who actually have lost their child to covid. Right now, as I type this, the news is talking about the spiking number of kids in hospitals with covid and two of them have died. In this area.

I'll better my chances of staying out of harms way by avoiding crowds when possible and wearing a mask when I must be in them. I can pass on live events for a few months or even an entire season. Enough games on TV and internet .

Reactions: zappaa
there was zero outreach by stringer the past 10-15 years...zero....I cannot imagine many coaches got away with basically very little community interaction

its one of the reasons that attendance plummetted

a big reason is that the RU fanbase got old, many died, now with covid many are staying away. Its a very old fanbase at its core. Their style of play and the basic shunning to recruit NJ more than the recruits that fit CVS mold played a big part in Rutgers not being all that popular with the girls high school community in NJ. Its well within CVS right to recruit the type of player she wants, but she passes on even looking at any big time player in NJ and quite frankly most of those players are steered away from Rutgers by their coaches.

RU success since 2007 has been somewhat limited, did they only make the sweet 16 in 2008, very few ncaa wins and virtually irrelevant on the national scene, sure a few lower end top 25 rankings in their but doing nothing to contend for big ten tourney or even a threat in ncaa

we were bottom of the barrell a few years ago too, this was coming, Guirantes basically singlehandedly kept things afloat for CVS the past couple of years but the writing was on the wall before she got here, if people were to actually be honest.

plus the assistant staff if completely substandard for the big ten and has been for almost a decade now....mainly the reason is because we have to pay cvs so much.

also echo the statements about pricing...incredibly expensive starting after 2008 or so..again to pay CVS salary, it was insanity and thats when attendance began to drip drip drip down every single year

While that is true NJ has over 9 million people which should include a segment of the population interested in womens basketball.
College sports fandom in NJ is certainly there, but even then there is a lot of competition. In the end, following a team is expensive in both money (especially in NJ) and time. If you want to follow multiple sports (lets say, football and both basketball programs) the time and financial drain would be considerable. But you are also competing with New York City and all it offers, a lot of pro teams and so much to do. So - crowds are always going to be tougher to come by.

That said - just win. Tucson is a basketball town and a University of Arizona town. The women were getting over 1000 regularly, over 2000 for some games all along. But with the success - selling out the McKale Center for the WNIT finals a few years back (capacity is north of 14,000), drawing over 7000 a couple times this year and no games under 6000 - as I say, just win baby.

there was zero outreach by stringer the past 10-15 years...zero....I cannot imagine many coaches got away with basically very little community interaction

a big reason is that the RU fanbase got old, many died, now with covid many are staying away. Its a very old fanbase at its core. Their style of play and the basic shunning to recruit NJ more than the recruits that fit CVS mold played a big part in Rutgers not being all that popular with the girls high school community in NJ. Its well within CVS right to recruit the type of player she wants, but she passes on even looking at any big time player in NJ and quite frankly most of those players are steered away from Rutgers by their coaches.

RU success since 2007 has been somewhat limited, did they only make the sweet 16 in 2008, very few ncaa wins and virtually irrelevant on the national scene, sure a few lower end top 25 rankings in their but doing nothing to contend for big ten tourney or even a threat in ncaa

we were bottom of the barrell a few years ago too, this was coming, Guirantes basically singlehandedly kept things afloat for CVS the past couple of years but the writing was on the wall before she got here, if people were to actually be honest.

plus the assistant staff if completely substandard for the big ten and has been for almost a decade now....mainly the reason is because we have to pay cvs so much.

also echo the statements about pricing...incredibly expensive starting after 2008 or so..again to pay CVS salary, it was insanity and thats when attendance began to drip drip drip down every single year
A couple small caveats -

- compared to other programs, RUWBB has been expensive since long before 2008, especially compared to other schools. I'm not arguing that's "wrong", but it is a fact, especially as we traveled to away games and often compared ticket prices there.

- Here in Tucson, while Adia Barnes in certain ways has what you call "community interaction", I'm not sure it is exactly what you have in mind. The team does charity work (hospitals, etc.), Adia has a weekly radio show open to the public in-season, she gets a lot of coverage in the paper. What she has is charisma. A lot of it. But some of it all is related to the fact that she is arguably the greatest player that ever played here as well. But I don't read that she is going out making "appearances", although what do I really know.

- I'm not 100% sure the Assistant Coaching staff is substandard, it is arguably a bit Vivian centric. Domond had a successful, if brief, head coaching stint, Tim (as an assistant) has gotten good press and Michelle Edwards as an ex-WNBAer, and star in her own right is as qualified as many assistants. At Arizona it has been a revolving door except for Salvo Coppa, Adia's husband who has coached at multiple levels in Europe and whose father is a coaching legend there. But the other 2 have switched a lot, probably because we don't pay well. Now that Adia is at a million . . .

I completely respect your answer and advocate you do whatever you feel is best for you and your family.
Statistics drive my views and kids don’t die from this, nor do healthy fully vaccinated and boosted adults.
My doctor has treated hundreds of Covid patients with zero hospitalizations for the fully vaccinated, as I am.
I do not fear this, I’m certain if I have a Covid experience it will be sniffles and a headache for a day….And I’m 65

Children are being hospitalized >The American Academy of Pediatrics and the Children’s Hospital Association reported for the week of 1/06/2022 with 24 states and NYC reporting there were 30,856 children hospitalized whish was 2.8% of all covid 19 hospitalizations.

The number of kids being hospitalized compared to all who for that week is low, but still shows kids aren’t sage from getting a real bad case that needs hospital care were

Kids dying from it is rare, but it does happen 747 children deaths were reported in that same study but that report had 46 states ,Puerto Rico and Guam reporting that weeks statists.

I put this in my reply to you not to say you’re wrong, but to say the statics show a low percentage of children are seriously affected and should be able to live like they didn’t before the pandemic became so pronounced

Being vaccinated is a must so they can be as safe as they can be while doing the things kids do without being made to live like they will catch something.
As for mask wearing for kids. Outside you’re not going to be able to make them keep masks on and wearing one would kill some of the joy out of their lives when with friends playing.
I’d say let the masks stay off children when they are outside playing . Inside the statics show a low percentage of serious cases, so unvaxed wear masks, vaxed no masks and kids to young for m,aks will need someone staying on them to keep the masks on. So let them be mask free as well so they can play like kids their age do

Now for my pet peeve ( and I’m mask friendly in most incidences) don’t force mask wearing in venues that allow people to take them off to eat and/or drink, just let only vaxed people in or those with proof of a current teat showing negative ( though feel that’s not 100% reliable, it must do) Or just have a buyer beware sign saying masks and vax cards not mandatory, enter at your own risk after signing liability waiver.
I’m against mask mandates in venues that have an on/off approach, I think allowing people to take them off for a short time defeats the reason they are being worn.

you make some good points and the year before Arella transferred in was a terrible one, but again you implied Rutgers was a losing program for a long time.
What the RU WBB program Under Stringer was before Arella came was a decient program that wasn't the top rated program it was years before.
Go after CVS for that and poor attendance if you want, but stop implying she was running a losing program.
What Stringer was doing was running a program that fell short of being the excellent one she had years ago.
2010–11Rutgers20–1311–54thNCAA Division I Second Round
2011–12Rutgers22–1010–66thNCAA Division I First Round
2012–13Rutgers16–147–9T–9th
Rutgers Scarlet Knights (American Athletic Conference) (2013–2014)​
2013–14Rutgers28–912–64thWNIT Champions
Rutgers Scarlet Knights (Big Ten Conference) (2014–present)​
2014–15Rutgers23–1012–6T–4thNCAA Division I Second Round
2015–16Rutgers19–157–9T–9thWNIT Second Round
2016–17Rutgers6–243–13T–11th

This post couldn’t possibly be more spot on. It’s long past time for her to go.

I don't fear this either, but I respect it.

It's good to know what the statistics say about children but it's of little to no consolation to the parents who actually have lost their child to covid. Right now, as I type this, the news is talking about the spiking number of kids in hospitals with covid and two of them have died. In this area.

I'll better my chances of staying out of harms way by avoiding crowds when possible and wearing a mask when I must be in them. I can pass on live events for a few months or even an entire season. Enough games on TV and internet .
“News”

I am so sick of people trying to dictate how others should feel or deal with the threat of COVID. I have had to stay away from the RAC for the last month - missed the Purdue victory after many, many years of having season tickets. Why? Because the "tough guys" around me came in and immediately dropped their masks to their chins or removed altogether. My spouse has serious health issues that could lead to a bad outcome, even death, from covid and we are caring for a toddler and preschooler who are too young to be vaccinated, one of whom spent a week in the hospital this past summer due to an unrelated uncommon infection. Cannot take a chance of contracting and possibly passing on the virus to my loved ones. Tired of the "kids don't really get sick" refrain because no one knows whether their child will be the one who really DOES get sick, and recently hospitalizations for chlldren have gone way, way up. There have been 2 deaths in the past week among children with COViD. No one knows what others are dealing within their lives. So just STFU about "hiding under beds" and "kids don't get sick" and all the other BS. For many, threat of COVID is a living hell.

Please did you read what the guy sctually said. Found in 25 people . It is felt that it will not be worse as the Omicron is at like 95% now. I’m sure by October 2022 well have another just in time. The shame is we have a SCOTUS blatantly lie and still not admit it that she misspoke . How many others were canceled or banned for less ? A shameless legal “ tool “ in a position for making upholding and making decisions which impact 330 million citizens.

Please did you read what the guy sctually said. Found in 25 people . It is felt that it will not be worse as the Omicron is at like 95% now. I’m sure by October 2022 well have another just in time. The shame is we have a SCOTUS blatantly lie and still not admit it that she misspoke . How many others were canceled or banned for less ? A shameless legal “ tool “ in a position for making upholding and making decisions which impact 330 million citizens.
???
This is the problem right here.

My post has nothing to do with any statements made by any SCOTUS member or some guy that wrote something. This is where people slyly try to bring politics into this situation.

My point is clearly that the big crowds we see at these major sporting events are super spreaders that will ensure that this virus will continue to mutate and be a problem for our health, economy, and mental wellness. Especially with people refusing to mask up when it is scientifically prudent to do so.

Delta, Omicron, Deltacron , that;s not the point. They all are health menaces if not deadly strands. People need to realize that you cannot talk your way through this crisis. You cant just say , This thing is past us!, and it actually be true because you are ready for that to be true. Your actions are the only thing that will defeat it. Scratch that. OUR actions as a collective population hold the key to defeating this.

As long as we have people falling for the political traps that have been set since our last pres and defying reason, this virus will continue to wreak havoc. You can try to act like its not there or its no big deal until it hits close to home. Then what? Yeah, I wish I had gotten the shot!, I wish I had wore the mask!

???
This is the problem right here.

My post has nothing to do with any statements made by any SCOTUS member or some guy that wrote something. This is where people slyly try to bring politics into this situation.

My point is clearly that the big crowds we see at these major sporting events are super spreaders that will ensure that this virus will continue to mutate and be a problem for our health, economy, and mental wellness. Especially with people refusing to mask up when it is scientifically prudent to do so.

Delta, Omicron, Deltacron , that;s not the point. They all are health menaces if not deadly strands. People need to realize that you cannot talk your way through this crisis. You cant just say , This thing is past us!, and it actually be true because you are ready for that to be true. Your actions are the only thing that will defeat it. Scratch that. OUR actions as a collective population hold the key to defeating this.

As long as we have people falling for the political traps that have been set since our last pres and defying reason, this virus will continue to wreak havoc. You can try to act like its not there or its no big deal until it hits close to home. Then what? Yeah, I wish I had gotten the shot!, I wish I had wore the mask!
No you were referencing the “variant” deltacron .Did you not? You opened up a thread on what some guy in wherever claimed a new virus infecting so far 25 people. Get over the Super Spreader idea. We are all capable of being a Super Spreader. Vaccinated or not. I personally have had staunch vaccine proponents say , “ well it won’t prevent you from acquiring the Omicron variant.” It worked for delta and kept some from severe viral intrusion…Good. What it is unable to do is keep you , I and anyone else from what is really cold symptoms. Good also. See Omicron thus far has NOT shown to be deadly . You gave false information similar to SCOTUS Sotomayer about delta on. Oh and if you think vaccinating everyone will prevent other variants then you are residing in a dream world. You bringing up “our last president” is totally incorrect . That “ last president” didn’t create the virus , would have found out when ,where and how it was transferred or created , would have at least tried. The current occupant on Pennsylvania Ave. has not a clue.BTW: We know exactly what you meant and were inferring ( so don’t scratch it) . I trust you watched the NC game last night. Did you see a lot of people wearing masks. Lol…The masks don’t work…they just hope they maybe protect. I wear a mask inside stores and venues…The way to defeat the virus is never happening. Living ,adjusting and not fearing should be OUR goal as a civilization.

No you were referencing the “variant” deltacron .Did you not? You opened up a thread on what some guy in wherever claimed a new virus infecting so far 25 people. Get over the Super Spreader idea. We are all capable of being a Super Spreader. Vaccinated or not. I personally have had staunch vaccine proponents say , “ well it won’t prevent you from acquiring the Omicron variant.” It worked for delta and kept some from severe viral intrusion…Good. What it is unable to do is keep you , I and anyone else from what is really cold symptoms. Good also. See Omicron thus far has NOT shown to be deadly . You gave false information similar to SCOTUS Sotomayer about delta on. Oh and if you think vaccinating everyone will prevent other variants then you are residing in a dream world. You bringing up “our last president” is totally incorrect . That “ last president” didn’t create the virus , would have found out when ,where and how it was transferred or created , would have at least tried. The current occupant on Pennsylvania Ave. has not a clue.BTW: We know exactly what you meant and were inferring ( so don’t scratch it) . I trust you watched the NC game last night. Did you see a lot of people wearing masks. Lol…The masks don’t work…they just hope they maybe protect. I wear a mask inside stores and venues…The way to defeat the virus is never happening. Living ,adjusting and not fearing should be OUR goal as a civilization.
If you can't understand the clearly stated point of my post, then , again, we'll agree to disagree. Read the first sentence of my post. Following that sentence, I happened to mention what I heard on the news about a possible new strain coming. Whether it does or not, the point is what's happening right now in hospitals. God forbid, but you or I could have a medical emergency and call for an ambulance or need hospital treatment and either not have one available or have exhausted medical workers try to find a bed and deal with our emergency.

The same way that ebola, measles, mumps, etc was controlled by global efforts, this virus will require that kind of attention and coordination plus mask wearing to control it. Controlling it is defeating it. I never said we can eliminate it completely. Those other viruses haven't been completely eliminated but we can go out each day with little to no worry of catching them.

Yes, we can all be super spreaders but if you are wearing the mask, it is less likely that you will spread if you happen to be positive.

As far as the last pres to this one, I don't need to say another word.

Others who read my post can determine for themselves if I have given false information.

Seems like that's the political go to for some, who are actually guilty of offering alternative facts. Strategically accusing others of false info.

You can keep trying to attack my posts, but I've said all that I need to on this topic. I'm not interested in the politics, just the realities.

Then give the fans a good experience! Not happening lately with poor concussions or now no concussions!

Then give the fans a good experience! Not happening lately with poor concussions or now no concussions!
The product on the floor is traumatizing enough without the added head trauma. I'm glad they did away with the head trauma.🙃

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT