ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Baseball Opening Day!!!!! (Trivia)

colbert17

Heisman Winner
Aug 30, 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
The 2024 MLB season kicks off today with the Padres and Dodgers meeting each other in Seoul. The starting center fielder for the Padres will be 20 year old Jackson Merrill. This will be only the fourth time since 1969 that the there will be an Opening Day starting CF in MLB who is age 20 or younger.
Hints: One is a HOF player, and the other two would one day be playing CF for New York teams.

Last edited:
Taking a pass as I have seen this a couple times. Let's just say one of these things is not like the other

Taking a pass as I have seen this a couple times. Let's just say one of these things is not like the other
Yea, saw the answer on the broadcast this morning. Someone above guess Griffey, so that's one. He started at 19 and 20. But I had the same impression. One guy didn't belong in the same universe as the other two. I wonder where Merrill will fall in that discussion when all is said and done.

Andruw Jones for sure. He came up young in that Braves playoff series.

I looked it up and found that I used to know the answer to the third player but time had erased it from my memory.

The 2024 MLB season kicks off today with the Padres and Dodgers meeting each other in Seoul. The starting center fielder for the Padres will be 20 year old Jackson Merrill. This will be only the fourth time since 1969 that the there will be an Opening Day starting CF in MLB who is age 20 or younger.
Hints: One is a HOF player, and the other two would one day be playing CF for New York teams.
Andru Jones, Willie Mays,

shelby just isn't all that smart and still digging out of the Syracuse snow
Shelby IS all that smart. Maybe Shelby should have answered Cale Yarborough, Maurice Richard and Jeannie C Riley if he expected the dolts here to understand his answer.

I was off on Andru Jones because I thought he came up from the minors during the season at 19 and then started the next season when he was older. Guess he still hadn't turned 20.

Did anyone share the name of the obscure guy yet? He was probably in my pack of baseball cards that I would go buy at Sam's when they came out each season. My friend would get an action shot of Pete Rose doing something and I would get Dave Chalk squaring up to bunt in practice no less.

Last edited:
I was off on Andru Jones because I thought he came up from the minors during the season at 19 and then started the next season when he was older. Guess he still hadn't turned 20.

Did anyone share the name of the obscure guy yet? He was probably in my pack of baseball cards that I would go buy at Sam's when they came out each season. My friend would get an action shot of Pete Rose doing something among other stars and I would get Dave Chalk squaring up to bunt in practice no less.

I looked it up because I never heard of the guy. Click the spoiler button to find out.

Don Hahn

Did anyone share the name of the obscure guy yet? He was probably in my pack of baseball cards that I would go buy at Sam's when they came out each season. My friend would get an action shot of Pete Rose doing something among other stars and I would get Dave Chalk squaring up to bunt in practice no less.
The obscure guy ended up playing CF for a NY team.

Reactions: ruinac
Sorry did nt see that one.
Griffey and Jones are correct.
The third one later in his career was the starting CF for a NY team.....in the post season.

Funny enough we'll probably have #5 next week. So 3 in 55 years and then 2 this year.

Reactions: colbert17
OK here's the answer

He was the starting CF on opening day in 1969 for the Montreal Expos, the first game in franchise history.
In 1973 he played CF for the Mets in the WS

Don Hahn

Reactions: ruinac
Don Hahn (and Tug) traded for John Stearns.

here's one I just came across and really like- Who is the only player to play for all three Bird teams but no others?

Shelby IS all that smart. Maybe Shelby should have answered Cale Yarborough, Maurice Richard and Jeannie C Riley if he expected the dolts here to understand his answer.
If there was a good background to your answer, I would actually like to understand it. I’m hoping it is a good one. Though, maybe a 🤪 face after the answer would have been appropriate

Don Hahn (and Tug) traded for John Stearns.

here's one I just came across and really like- Who is the only player to play for all three Bird teams but no others?
John Stearns was a good catcher for the Mets during a down period and if I recall correctly, an all-star in 1978 or 79.

John Stearns was a good catcher for the Mets during a down period and if I recall correctly, an all-star in 1978 or 79.
wasn't it Don Hahn and George Theodor who had the huge collision...And John Stearns is one of my all time favorites. HoJo always reminded me of him

wasn't it Don Hahn and George Theodor who had the huge collision...And John Stearns is one of my all time favorites. HoJo always reminded me of him
Stearns was a bulldog. I can’t comment on the other two as they were a little before my time. Totally psyched for this season to get here.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT