ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Baseball Trivia

colbert17

Heisman Winner
Aug 30, 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
The other night Juan Soto hit homer #20 for the season. He became only the 12th player in history to have 5 +20 hr years through his age 24 season. So we're looking for players who hit a lot of homers at a young age. How many of the other 11 can you name?
Clue: Ten of the eleven are modern players (played post 1960) and three are currently active.

Last edited:
I got no idea but he are 10 guesses :

Trout
Harper
Machado
Griffey Jr.
Mantle
Barry Bonds
Miguel Cabrera
Vladimir Guerrero sr
Babe Ruth
Pujols

Stanton. And I'd still trade him for a bag of baseballs... used.
And 2 guesses at the old timer.
Jimmie Fox or Mel Ott. I think both started playing pro baseball at 17 and both hit a lot of homers in their day

BTW Ted Williams would have made the list except he was fighting in WWII at age 24 which would have been his 5th year in a row.

Reactions: zappaa
Eddie Mathews? I think he has MLB record for most HRs before age 25

Clues: Of the remain players left these are the teams they played for when they set this record:

Giants - one of these years he led the NL in HRs with 46
Braves - three of his first four years he hit over 40 homers
Reds
Red Sox
Mathews is correct. 3 of his first four years he hit over 40 homers

Reactions: WhiteBus
Clues: Of the remain players left these are the teams they played for when they set this record:

Giants - one of these years he led the NL in HRs with 46 at age 23.
Red Sox - one of these years he led the AL with 32 homers at age 20.

BTW Ted Williams would have made the list except he was fighting in WWII at age 24 which would have been his 5th year in a row.
What a tremendous topic.
Joe D
Greenberg
Feller
Spahn
Williams
Reece
Rizzuto
Just to name a mere few.
3 years in the prime of their careers serving the country and defending it from tyranny

Your hint for Giants also gave it away once I pondered what old time Giants started young and also led MLB in HRs

Initals OC right?

The Giant is an overlooked player IMHO because of the all time greats that he played with.
The Red Sox missed an entire season due to injury during this streak.

The Giant is an overlooked player IMHO because of the all time greats that he played with.
The Red Sox missed an entire season due to injury during this streak.
If it wasn't for your hint I would have overlooked for the very reason you suggest.

I called my brother, a life long Red Sox fan and described your hint and he gave me the answer immediately. Yes I cheated but would have never guessed him

won't say his name so others can guess

Reactions: colbert17
First one that came to mind for me was Andruw Jones.,, but he "only" hit 18 homers when he was 20.

One more clue on the Red Sox. His name will be forever linked with another player by the name of Jack Hamilton.
For not good reasons.
By the way the Giant who did it which at @wisr01 gave his initials as OC was Orlando Cepeda.

One more clue on the Red Sox. His name will be forever linked with another player by the name of Jack Hamilton.
For not good reasons.
By the way the Giant who did it which at @wisr01 gave his initials as OC was Orlando Cepeda.
Sad story

You are correct sir. For people who don"t know Tony C. was Tony Conigliaro who was a Red Sox phenom in the mid 60s who looked like he was headed to superstardom when he was hit in the face by a pitch by Jack Hamilton which made him miss the entirety of the 1968 season. He made a comeback and did hit 36 homers with 116 RBIs before lingering vision problems forced his retirement.

R.0547b2645104a0056517585f34d03b92

Reactions: WhiteBus
You are correct sir. For people who don"t know Tony C. was Tony Conigliaro who was a Red Sox phenom in the mid 60s who looked like he was headed to superstardom when he was hit in the face by a pitch by Jack Hamilton which made him miss the entirety of the 1968 season. He made a comeback and did hit 36 homers with 116 RBIs before lingering vision problems forced his retirement.

R.0547b2645104a0056517585f34d03b92
I believe at the time Tony C was the youngest player to hit 100 HR's.

Eddie Mathews is maybe the most underrated baseball player ever. Of course he was a teammate of Hank Aaron who stole a lot of attention for good reasons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT