ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Big Heatwave/EDIT: Debbie passes well to west but band of showers and squall line and tornado watch to get thru

On Memorial Day weekend my regular cycling group decided we should go to a Phillies game together. So 10 of us are going on Wednesday. 1pm game.... ugh!!

Reactions: dconifer
Wasn't too bad sitting in the car in the shade for a bit, but we're still in the middle to upper 80's.

But tomorrow, as Buster Poindexter says:

Made a fun set of "summer" songs within a much longer (5 hours) playlist for our annual work BBQ last summer. It includes songs from a variety of genres and is largely in chronological order from the late 50s until the 80s, where I used the dual "Cruel Summer" songs by Bananarama and Taylor Swift, allowing a leap up to recent songs, descending back down into the 80s.

Summertime Blues, 1958, Eddie Cochran

Surfin' Safari, 1962, The Beach Boys

Summer In The City, 1966, The Lovin' Spoonful

Summer Wind, 1966, Frank Sinatra

Hot Fun In The Summer Time, 1969, Sly & The Family Stone

School's Out, 1972, Alice Cooper

Summer Breeze, 1975, Seals & Crofts

Lovely Day, 1977, Bill Withers

Rockaway Beach, 1977, The Ramones

Walking On Sunshine, 1985, Katrina & The Waves

Cruel Summer, 1983, Bananarama

Cruel Summer, 2019, Taylor Swift

Solar Power, 2021, Lorde

Fell in the Sun 2015 Big Grams

Summer, 2014, Calvin Harris

Summertime Clothes, 2009, Animal Collective

Summer Babe, 1992, Pavement

Summertime, 1991, DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince

The Boys of Summer, 1984, Don Henley
I was waiting to see when Will Smith and DJ Jazzy Jeff would surface on the list. Boys of Summer is a borderline choice as it’s more about the end of summer from a jilted clammy’s perspective.

Hit 90 IMBY today...there were others lucky enough to hit 90 or above to unofficially begin the heatwave. Most locations however did fall short. Lots of 88s and 89s showing up.

Call today an appetizer to the main show

Made a fun set of "summer" songs within a much longer (5 hours) playlist for our annual work BBQ last summer. It includes songs from a variety of genres and is largely in chronological order from the late 50s until the 80s, where I used the dual "Cruel Summer" songs by Bananarama and Taylor Swift, allowing a leap up to recent songs, descending back down into the 80s.

Summertime Blues, 1958, Eddie Cochran
Surfin' Safari, 1962, The Beach Boys
Summer In The City, 1966, The Lovin' Spoonful
Summer Wind, 1966, Frank Sinatra
Hot Fun In The Summer Time, 1969, Sly & The Family Stone
School's Out, 1972, Alice Cooper
Summer Breeze, 1975, Seals & Crofts
Lovely Day, 1977, Bill Withers
Rockaway Beach, 1977, The Ramones
Walking On Sunshine, 1985, Katrina & The Waves
Cruel Summer, 1983, Bananarama
Cruel Summer, 2019, Taylor Swift
Solar Power, 2021, Lorde
Fell in the Sun 2015 Big Grams
Summer, 2014, Calvin Harris
Summertime Clothes, 2009, Animal Collective
Summer Babe, 1992, Pavement
Summertime, 1991, DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince
The Boys of Summer, 1984, Don Henley
Many other Beach Boys songs (e.g. Surfin' USA) could also be classified as summer songs. There are also a huge number of summer romance songs -- the Shangi-las' Remember (Walking in the Sand) is one that comes immediately to mind. Or A Summer Song by Chad & Jeremy.

Last edited:
Reactions: RU848789
Tonight
Mostly clear, with a low around 66. South wind 5 to 10 mph.
Tuesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 93. Southwest wind around 5 mph.
Tuesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 65. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight.
Juneteenth
Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 97. Heat index values as high as 100. Calm wind becoming south around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Wednesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 66. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight.
Thursday
Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 99.
Thursday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 69.
Friday
Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 101.
Friday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 71.
Saturday
A chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2pm. Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 97. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Saturday Night
A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 69. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Sunday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 95.
Sunday Night
A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 72. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Monday
A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 91. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Air conditioning is such a blessing -- I'm old enough to remember getting through very hot days without it. But unfortunately there are still homes without air conditioning, people who have to work outside, and people with health conditions that make them very sensitive to heat. It's fun to listen to songs about heat waves, but heat waves do kill people Let's hope that the forecasts are wrong and that the heat breaks soon. And, if you know of a neighbor who is at risk, encourage him or her to seek a shelter where there is air conditioning.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Tonight
Mostly clear, with a low around 66. South wind 5 to 10 mph.
Tuesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 93. Southwest wind around 5 mph.
Tuesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 65. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight.
Juneteenth
Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 97. Heat index values as high as 100. Calm wind becoming south around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Wednesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 66. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight.
Thursday
Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 99.
Thursday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 69.
Friday
Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 101.
Friday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 71.
Saturday
A chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2pm. Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 97. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Saturday Night
A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 69. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Sunday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 95.
Sunday Night
A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 72. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Monday
A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 91. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
That's a stretch.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I don't think you are supposed to break 90 all week. I'm heading to the shore!
With S/SW winds, areas along and east of the Parkway (from Monmouth Co. and southward), temps will mostly stay around or just below 90F due to the sea breeze, whereas just 5-10 miles west of the Parkway and anywhere west of that high temps will hit the mid/upper 90s.

• Love
Reactions: Knight Shift
With S/SW winds, areas along and east of the Parkway (from Monmouth Co. and southward), temps will mostly stay around or just below 90F due to the sea breeze, whereas just 5-10 miles west of the Parkway and anywhere west of that high temps will hit the mid/upper 90s.
That’s why I left @koleszar out of my report.

Figured he had some heat on the farm.

Many other Beach Boys songs (e.g. Surfin' USA) could also be classified as summer songs. There are also a huge number of summer romance songs -- the Shangi-las' Remember (Walking in the Sand) is one that comes immediately to mind. Or A Summer Song by Chad & Jeremy.

Sheeze, I could just post my whole Summer Song Playlist which I made for the 2020 Spring Game.

Models for high temps this week continue to tick down for the eastern sections nyc and coast but inland sections will still broil

heat index of 101...a bit higher than they were forecasting so we shall see how that bodes well for later in the week when the core of the heat hits.

Forecasted highs in central jersey are 90 and above through early next week even as temps will be only maybe 90/91 by then. Potential for the heatwave to actually hit 9-10 days in some locales

Did some tree maintenance/chainsawing from 10-11:30 am, then played a round of disc golf from about 12-2 pm and while it was certainly warm it wasn't brutal, as dewpoints were still in the mid-60s, which isn't oppressive. I'm sure it'll get old soon though.

Did some tree maintenance/chainsawing from 10-11:30 am, then played a round of disc golf from about 12-2 pm and while it was certainly warm it wasn't brutal, as dewpoints were still in the mid-60s, which isn't oppressive. I'm sure it'll get old soon though.

You might be happy to know it's still snowing in some parts. Not near me (though there have been freeze warnings) but North Rockies.

Reactions: RU848789
It reached 93 degrees here today. The air quality index went up to 84 which isn't very good air.

Mid-60s? Mid-60s? Wuss!

My dewpoints are, uh, at least, uh, 600. Yeah, 600. At least. Probably more.

I haven't even bothered to hook up the portable A/C for my office despite the new upstairs HVAC not being done. And despite my computer raising the ambient temps in there by at least 10F to 15F, with all the radiator fans pulling the heat from the CPU and GPU out into the air.

But am I whining? Uh-uh, nope. I'm soldiering the hell up. I'll probably install a pizza oven in the office next.

'Cause temperature is just a number!

heat index of 101...a bit higher than they were forecasting so we shall see how that bodes well for later in the week when the core of the heat hits.

Forecasted highs in central jersey are 90 and above through early next week even as temps will be only maybe 90/91 by then. Potential for the heatwave to actually hit 9-10 days in some locales
Wake me up when the actual temperature is over 130F. Anything under that is luke-warm.

On a positive note, since it's only necrophilia if the body temp sinks below 50F, lots of people have been experiencing a recent surge in sexual activity.

lmfao at the fear mongering i just heard today...oooh we may never have summer olympics again..its going to be too hot...bahahahahahahaha
Grass grows naturally by itself. But, when you add fertilizer, it really grows.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT