ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Boom! Hammer drops on Astros.

Beltran only named once in the report since he is no longer a player. Does not say ringleader anywhere in the report.

...Approximately two months into the 2017 season, a group of players, including Carlos Beltrán, discussed that the team could improve on decoding opposing teams’ signs and communicating the signs to the batter.

New news: Both Hinch and Luhnow have both been fired by the owner Crane.

I'm guessing it'd be very hard to do a darn thing if the MLBPA isn't on board.
Definitely, the MLBPA needs to be on board. Perhaps Manfred just takes a pass on players, who knows. It was wise and justified to bring the hammer down on the coaches and franchise first.

Met fan and I was never real happy with the Beltran hire (I was in a box seat 100ft from Carlos taking the called third strike and right or wrong, I will never forgive him). Having said that, I could not care less about his involvement in this scandal. It does not make him any less a candidate for Manager to my mind and I don't think even if the press feigns outrage it will change the number of wins or butts in seats. Now, if you could make a credible case that MLB might punish the Mets in some material way, either directly or indirectly, then I would agree that Beltran must go.

He's a great hitter, but it helps even more when you know the pitch that's coming. I will not speculate on whether his power comes from something else.
Look at his stats home and away. You will rethink his "great hitter" status.

Reactions: redking
Not sufficient punishment, IMHO. The one-year suspensions aren't enough.The explanation for no punishment of players (even the players who took the initiative) probably is that players cooperated in return for promises they would not be punished.

Reactions: RUevolution36
I don’t understand how this hurts the Astros at all. So they fired the coach and GM so what. How is this a deterrent?

Not sufficient punishment, IMHO. The one-year suspensions aren't enough.The explanation for no punishment of players (even the players who took the initiative) probably is that players cooperated in return for promises they would not be punished.
They got fired. The players are in a Union. The club is not.

Cora? Read the report. Manfred blames Cora much more than Hinch and Hinch got a year. Cora's punishment will be worse.
He was a player at the time. He was part of the Union at the time. Not going to hapoen

They got fired. The players are in a Union. The club is not.

That's probably the right explanation for why the players got off. The team should have been stripped of the 2017 world series championship. They won because they cheated. The last thing sports needs to do is to reward cheating.

He was a player at the time. He was part of the Union at the time. Not going to hapoen
Bench coach with Houston. Also, Cora was a manager with the Red Sox and was caught doing the same thing after the commissioner's warning. He is toast.

Reactions: RU MAN
Logan Morrison implicated the Yankees and Dodgers as other teams stealing signs today. This has been long rumored so MLB needs to look into them as well. You’re absolutely clueless if you think the Astros were the only team doing this.

Logan Morrison implicated the Yankees and Dodgers as other teams stealing signs today. This has been long rumored so MLB needs to look into them as well. You’re absolutely clueless if you think the Astros were the only team doing this.
[roll]

Reactions: RU MAN
Typical clueless Yankee fan.
giphy.gif

I’m a huge Yankees fan, but do you really think they’re 100% clean here?
Yes, the Yanks are 100% clean with ever using electronic surveillance equipment to steal signs and do so after teams were directly warned by the commissioner.

[QUOTE="RUhasarrived, post: 4313085, member: 3024"]You still need to hit the ball.

In the game that broke 1951 cheating Giants 16 game winning streak,they called every pitch thrown by the Cardinals' Howie Pollett,but he still threw a three hit shutout.[/QUOTE]

I remember people saying that about Mark McGuire before the steroid scandal broke into the open.

:eek::eek::eek: NOT THE ALWAYS SWEET AND INNOCENT NEW YORK YANKEES!!!!!!

Every team tries to steal signs. Whichever ones steal them electronically should and will be punished. It doesn't matter if it's the Yankees, Mets or whoever.

Reactions: czxqa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT