ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Boom! Hammer drops on Astros.

Why do we need to go there?
Rose bet on games and received a lifetime ban. The Astros and Red Sox flatout cheat to win a world series, and all they receive is a year suspension, a couple of draft picks, and fines? Rose had a gambling problem, and he needed help. The action of the Astros and Red Sox is a systemic problem by several people within the organization who felt the results of cheating (& winning) outweighed any possible punishment. Are we a society that rewards organizational cheaters and punishes individuals?
Because they are apples to elephants. Every time some form of cheating, drugs, domestic abuse ... Is in the news cycle the Pete Rose crap comes up like it's equal. It's not!! It's not even close. And to say it is, is just dumb. Gambling and fixing games can bring down a sport. Now more than ever. Pete got what he deserved. People defending him to this day are plain nuts.

Reactions: Purple-Ed
Because they are apples to elephants. Every time some form of cheating, drugs, domestic abuse ... Is in the news cycle the Pete Rose crap comes up like it's equal. It's not!! It's not even close. And to say it is, is just dumb. Gambling and fixing games can bring down a sport. Now more than ever. Pete got what he deserved. People defending him to this day are plain nuts.
You dismissed my statement without thinking about it. White-collar crimes have more of an impact on society than an individual murder, but yet we have conditioned ourselves to think murder is far worse. I think the punishment should be as severe as Pete Rose. Pete got what he deserved, but the Astros got off with a slap on the hand. This is a classic case of swallow elephants whole while choking on gnats. The Astros (& Red Sox) should vacate their WS championships. The ban on the GM and manager should be longer because it doesn't stop people from trying it again. Add another year to lost draft picks to make them really feel the pain for such actions.

Why do we need to go there?
Rose bet on games and received a lifetime ban. The Astros and Red Sox flatout cheat to win a world series, and all they receive is a year suspension, a couple of draft picks, and fines? Rose had a gambling problem, and he needed help. The action of the Astros and Red Sox is a systemic problem by several people within the organization who felt the results of cheating (& winning) outweighed any possible punishment. Are we a society that rewards organizational cheaters and punishes individuals?

College football and basketball have apparently been doing it for years.

You dismissed my statement without thinking about it. White-collar crimes have more of an impact on society than an individual murder, but yet we have conditioned ourselves to think murder is far worse. I think the punishment should be as severe as Pete Rose. Pete got what he deserved, but the Astros got off with a slap on the hand. This is a classic case of swallow elephants whole while choking on gnats. The Astros (& Red Sox) should vacate their WS championships. The ban on the GM and manager should be longer because it doesn't stop people from trying it again. Add another year to lost draft picks to make them really feel the pain for such actions.
I dismissed your statement because you don't get it. And now with this statement I see you still don't get it.

I dismissed your statement because you don't get it. And now with this statement I see you still don't get it.
Is you middle name Stubborn by chance? [roll]

If someone doesn't see it your way, then they are mindless and out of touch.

True but he was a ring leader along with Cora. As Mets manager Carlos comes in as a wounded duck. Bad place to start.

And Cora winning with the Sox in 2018 makes this a bad look for MLB. They want this to be over quickly before it spreads to seasons prior to 2017.
With any issue like this their are always degrees of culpability by those involved. I’m not disputing he was a ringleader but it doesn’t appear baseball will be suspending any players or determining levels of involvement.

This is a Black Sox level scandal.

MLB: Vacate the title
MLB: Lifetime ban for Alex Cora
Mets: Fire Carlos Beltran (and BVW for hiring someone who was on his BFF AJ Hinch's staff despite all the red flags) and hire Hensley Muellens for manager.

Reactions: redking
They do. And many in baseball saying they do if they allow Beltran to manage club.

Ohh and lolololol. Straight fire from an ex Mets teammate. What a disaster in queens.

That is plain silly. Astros and Red Sox (if found guilty) as well as MLB own this scandal. Unless something comes out Mets were doing the same thing, they do not own this scandal. That's similar to the old Tarkanian line where the NCAA was so mad at Kentucky for their violations they punished Cleveland State. Yes, lets punish the Mets for Astros/Red Sox violations.

That is plain silly. Astros and Red Sox (if found guilty) as well as MLB own this scandal. Unless something comes out Mets were doing the same thing, they do not own this scandal. That's similar to the old Tarkanian line where the NCAA was so mad at Kentucky for their violations they punished Cleveland State. Yes, lets punish the Mets for Astros/Red Sox violations.
No one will punish the Mets. Just Beltran must go. He should be suspended and the Mets should do the right thing and not allow him to manage the club. He disgraced and damaged the game of baseball and the games integrity and cheated at the highest level. No other profession would allow you to lead their organization.
Also he lied to the Mets in the interview which is equally fireable. It was reported he told the Mets he was not involved. He clearly was.

Ohh and remember one of the biggest reasons why the Mets hired him was he is such a good role model and club house guy to younger players. Lolol. Lotta egg on the Mets face.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...stros-stole-signs-electronically-in-2017/amp/

Last edited:
The organization is relatively unscathed. The title should be vacated. Systemic cheating needs to be punished to squash this.

People, this is nothing new. Return with us now to the Polo Grounds in 1951. The Giants and Dodgers play one game to decide the pennant. Bobby Thomson hits The Shot Heard Round the World off Ralph Branca to bring the Giants from a 4-2 deficit to win, 5-4, prompting Giants announcer, Russ Hodges' famous call: "The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the Pennant! The Giants win the Pennant! They're going crazy!" Except later, it turned out the Giants were tipping upcoming pitches to their batters. Nothing much came of that revelation, but Dodger pitcher Ralph Branca ended a lengthy post-career friendship with Bobby Thomson, with the pair appearing frequently at events together, over the news.

People, this is nothing new. Return with us now to the Polo Grounds in 1951. The Giants and Dodgers play one game to decide the pennant. Bobby Thomson hits The Shot Heard Round the World off Ralph Branca to bring the Giants from a 4-2 deficit to win, 5-4, prompting Giants announcer, Russ Hodges' famous call: "The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the Pennant! The Giants win the Pennant! They're going crazy!" Except later, it turned out the Giants were tipping upcoming pitches to their batters. Nothing much came of that revelation, but Dodger pitcher Ralph Branca ended a lengthy post-career friendship with Bobby Thomson, with the pair appearing frequently at events together, over the news.
Not familiar with how the pitches were being tipped, but I think everything anybody has said has been consistent around using technology to do it in real time. If you study and analyze film? Fair game. Steal Signs with runners on? Fair Game. Its on you to protect your signs and change things up.

There is no work around a real time camera seeing signs and relaying it to the dug out. That's cheating plain and simple

They do. And many in baseball saying they do if they allow Beltran to manage club.

Ohh and lolololol. Straight fire from an ex Mets teammate. What a disaster in queens.

No banging on the drum in 2007. Poor Carlos:

Reactions: superfan01
You're as stupid as Logan Morrison and gullible to boot. Did you read his quote?? I know from first hand accounts that the Yankees, Dodgers, Astros, and Red Sox all have used film to pick signs." How the F would he have first hand accounts when he never played with any off those teams. Not surprisingly he deleted his post. Fool.
Players aren't traded between teams, and talk? Ya think???

Embarrassing day for mlb and the Mets organization. Their new leader was the ring leader to this scandal. This is much worse then steroids. The Mets own this scandal now
Has to be the stupidest comment of the year!! Did stealing signs allow players to hit 73 HR's? plenty with 60+ also. Stealing signs isn't a pimple on the ASS of a Steroid user. So dumb, I can't even put it into words much better.

Then it wouldn't be first hand info. He said he had first hand info. He wasn't there so he had no first hand info. So he just has speculation or tales from someone else.
I must really be a fool then, because if I'm traded to a new club, and one of the players "involved" tells him, " be ready for this shit show, because this is what their doing", that would be 1st hand knowledge, wouldn't it? Is it possible that's what he meant?

I must really be a fool then, because if I'm traded to a new club, and one of the players "involved" tells him, " be ready for this shit show, because this is what their doing", that would be 1st hand knowledge, wouldn't it? Is it possible that's what he meant?
No, when someone says they have first hand knowledge means they saw it themselves. Being told by someone else is not first hand knowledge. He wasn't on any of those teams. He has zero first hand knowledge.

I would think that 1st hand knowledge means you were there. 2nd or 3rd hand knowledge depends upon how many degrees of Kevin Bacon you have to go beyond to confirm such info.

Disagree. Players and pitchers have repeatedly said stealing signs is a bigger advantage then roids. And they were only stealing signs in key instances. What was there average and hrs in the times they stole signs.? We don’t know. But a 5 foot 6 kid won a mvp and a World Series so think it makes a big deal.

Listen @ruready4somefootball I like you. But your whiffing in this thread. Take your Beltran apologist stiff to a mets board. Your outta your league here son.

I don't get the outsized hate for the Yankees coming from Mets fans... you guys got some anger management issues. Outside the few times a year the teams play each other, their worlds exist in parallel.

I don't get the outsized hate for the Yankees coming from Mets fans... you guys got some anger management issues. Outside the few times a year the teams play each other, their worlds exist in parallel.
Mmmmhmmm. And your Yankee buddies are sweet and innocent?

Mmmmhmmm. And your Yankee buddies are sweet and innocent?
we're not sweet and innocent. We just know your franchise sucks and you will forever be little brother or red headed step child. Which ever one makes you feel worse. :LaughingDon't hate us for it. We're both still linked by Rutgers- I've just tasted success through Yankees, Giants, Devils- fandoms. Hopefully you aren't stuck in Mets & Jets hell.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT