ADVERTISEMENT

OT Brexit Vote

9Lruj6.png

There does seem to be this strange intersection of liberal, globalists, left-leaning millennial angst...... and they seem to keep losing...

I have yet to be convinced that the term "globalist" isn't just a rebranding of "International Jewry."

Dow futures projecting down ~600 pts. Going to be a rough day. Watch those mortgage rates for those in need of a re-fi, could see 3.375/3.5 today.

Reactions: RUkhoury
Well Cameron is going to resign. I don't see it as just short term pain as well. Yes the pound has tanked and the markets have sunk and eventually that will calm down after the initial shock. The markets didn't price it in at all so that adjustment still needs to happen.

But there's so much unknown and uncertain that's not going to be resolved any time soon and will likely take years. There's no way to know how that's all going to turn out. As far as the UK, I see pain ahead. The EU will feel pain as well but I don't see them being so generous to the UK for causing it and also they need to "make an example" out of them to prevent contagion to any other countries contemplating leaving.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUChoppin
That's the British way more or less. Wouldn't be "cricket" to stay after pushing for the losing side of such a significant vote.
Yup I mentioned it was a possibility in one of these threads here or the CE board.. You can't be rebuked like that and stick around. I also said that's another factor adding to all the uncertainty and unknown.

Now all the EU and UK passport holders can join me on the long line of non-EU passport lines at Heathrow and the other European airports [roll]

Seriously, the chain of events this sets off is unfatnomable. Buy this dip though in the US.

Scottish first minister talking now about a 2nd referendum being on the table now and how they're preparing for one if that's the road the parliament decides to go down. She said there's been a material change to the promises of being in the EU from the first referendum and with that gone now it's obvious that is very likely for a 2nd referendum.

Again another uncertainty where the UK as we know it might not be the same now. Scotland for sure to vote and Northern Ireland don't know. It could just be Wales and England when all is said and done.

I don't know why so many people are comparing the situation with Boris Johnson with Donald Trump. Two total different situations.....unless they are the same person...

I understand the benefit of free trade that the EU affords the UK, but I don't understand why you would want to cede control over your national laws to a couple of dozen of other countries (when Brussels passes a law, member states have a period of time to implement it in their home country). Not to mention the disaster/time bomb that are the debt loads of many countries in Europe.

I am planning several business trips back to England, EU, and Asia (with my brother-in-law in Scotland 08 July). I feel that this is just the tip of the iceberg. Greece, Italy, and Spain could all be contenders. I hate to use Liberal and Conservative here, for most people are somewhat in the middle. But Spain just elected about 25% communist and want to do a way with the monarchy and government in general. There just seems to be a back lash against the establishment. Obama did not get elected because of his qualification and both Trump and Clinton are even worries. If this is the best this country has then we are in big trouble. Trump just tells you how unsatisfied people are with the establishment, much like Obama and Bush. The big difference here is that England was never really in or out. They have their own currency and can stand alone. The EU and England both need each other, so deals will get done. It would not surprise me that when the dust settles that it will be basically about the same. It is not a matter of how educated people are. I would not trust any word that was in print in this country. It is very difficult to believe anything that is printed or said in the media. Take a look at he FT or BBC Worldwide and you have to ask about the reporting here. Any questioning of that statement has to look no farther than how Rutgers is covered by the media. I do not care either way but I believe England wins here.

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of meetings happening in corporate offices this morning to figure out what this means to these companies. There will be significant British jobs lost in the next 24 months (mostly Londoners). Buying power of the pound is tanking. And Albert the toothless from the Midlands is going to smile his ugly British smile thinking that he's somehow going to get a mfg job back and that there will be fewer brown people spoiling his town. Some people are just that dumb.

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of meetings happening in corporate offices this morning to figure out what this means to these companies. There will be significant British jobs lost in the next 24 months (mostly Londoners). Buying power of the pound is tanking. And Albert the toothless from the Midlands is going to smile his ugly British smile thinking that he's somehow going to get a mfg job back and that there will be fewer brown people spoiling his town. Some people are just that dumb.
so both he and you are racist.

There is secession in the air! The moment is ripe! What next? I propose that Pompton Lakes secede from Passaic County! PLexit!!!

No. I don't speak in such terms. It's offensive and divisive. People need to start uniting, not dividing. There has been too much division along racial lines going on for the last 8 years.

But that's sort of my point...a big faction of the leave voters are against the more lax immigration rules of the EU and migrant plans. If you follow the way it is framed by louder pro-leave voices, it's because of where the immigrants and migrants are coming from. Africa, the middle east, south asia...It is completely a race thing for those.

but you felt the need to describe those Brits in a stereotypical racist way.

Let's be honest. Your average Leave voter IS racist. Just like your average Trump voter. Everything is prettied up in a Nationalist and Isolationist code language, but you have to be a dolt not to realize it.

Reactions: RUChoppin
Well Morgan Stanley is the first out so far saying they've begun the process of moving 2000 jobs out of London to either Dublin or Frankfurt.

EDIT: Now they're denying the BBC report of them moving jobs. News just flying all over. It could be true still down the line but it does seem strange for any big structural moves like that to happen so soon after the vote. This stuff will happen over the months and years.

Long unknown road ahead. How much carrot and how much stick is going to guide some of this. Will it be an amicable divorce or a bitter one.

Last edited:
No. I don't speak in such terms. It's offensive and divisive. People need to start uniting, not dividing. There has been too much division along racial lines going on for the last 8 years.
If we mock something or someone to show how crass and repulsive they are (e.g. Albert in this example or Archie Bunker as another example), do you believe we should censor how they would represent themselves? Think that weakens the argument against them. I believe the poster was actually demonstrating how a stupid person would think - thus mocking a divisive term that the stupid individual in question would use. Thus the context.

But that's sort of my point...a big faction of the leave voters are against the more lax immigration rules of the EU and migrant plans. If you follow the way it is framed by louder pro-leave voices, it's because of where the immigrants and migrants are coming from. Africa, the middle east, south asia...It is completely a race thing for those.
doubt it's as much a race thing as a terror thing. People can agree or disagree about the reality of those fears but you could see how people are concerned about what they are seeing around Europe.

If we mock something or someone to show how crass and repulsive they are (e.g. Albert in this example or Archie Bunker as another example), do you believe we should censor how they would represent themselves? Think that weakens the argument against them. I believe the poster was actually demonstrating how a stupid person would think - thus mocking a divisive term that the stupid individual in question would use. Thus the context.
And it's OK for a non-white person to drive a deep wedge between races if they do it with a smiling happy face that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside? And if your are mocking or lampooning a white man and what you think they would say, it gives you license to use language that incites hate? Got it. Seems like a convenient way to drive that wedge deeper in an effort to support the narrative. Sad commentary on the state of media and the way some people think.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT