ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bullying In Schools

In Madison NJ? Sounds like a very upscale town has completely gone down the crapper . Or is this a different Madison NJ. I know there were changes occurring 10-15 years ago but a girl gang . Never believed people living in $ 400-1 mil plus homes would have gangs in the school system . Oh wait never mind … we’ve had plenty of gangs infiltrate our country for awhile now. Carry On.
Huh ?

Just needed to put this out there. If you are a parent and have school aged children. Make sure to talk to them and really listen. Also- if your kid is the popular kid, top athlete and or well respected in their school. Talk to them about standing up for kids that they see going through it. Even if it is just checking to see if they are ok or a smile every once in a while.
We are so happy that our kids took this approach- even our oldest that played here and was the biggest, most out spoken , most popular kid in his school. He was also always a ball buster to his friends and had no problem speaking his mind to teachers- one thing that never happened- no one in that school would bully a kid anywhere near him. Many of his friends that also came to the house where the outcasts as well.

I post this as my niece, who is 13 y/o just tried and almost successfully to commit suicide yesterday. She and her mom recently moved from Lodi to Madison and she is in a new school. LAst year a gang of over 10 girls jumped her at the Garden State Mall, beat her unconscious, kicked her in the head numerous times and stripped her clothes off in the middle of the mall and filmed it and distributed it. Those girls were all arrested but a couple of days ago- someone found this video and shared it around her new school and they started making fun of seeing her nude body.
She is recovering today after a very rough night. She was found unresponsive, pale and purple lips by her mother who made have found her just in time.

So teach your kids and talk to them. Listen to them as well.

I just had to share as this is very important. Your child could be hiding depression or bullying or your child could be that person that could make a difference in someone's life.
Very sorry that your niece was assaulted.I will add her to my prayers for a full recovery and a long, healthy and ::Happy life.

Huh? We’re you ever in Madison NJ say 10-20-30 years ago ? Pretty nice town if I remember having been there numerous times. Had a acquaintance named Pete Jilleba from there. Maybe you heard of him? As for the other part of the posting. You don’t think there is a much different element in this country today say versus 25-35 years ago? Better take a look around. Ask NYC if the they’re ok with the clientele roaming around. You will see if you haven’t yet especially TSA boasting they are accepting almost any type of ID to fly. Even those with arrest and convictions records from other countries. Or a maybe a Dunkin Donuts card . Do you see any issue that could come about? You and I would need a drivers’s license to get a f’ng library card .

Huh? We’re you ever in Madison NJ say 10-20-30 years ago ? Pretty nice town if I remember having been there numerous times. Had a acquaintance named Pete Jilleba from there. Maybe you heard of him? As for the other part of the posting. You don’t think there is a much different element in this country today say versus 25-35 years ago? Better take a look around. Ask NYC if the they’re ok with the clientele roaming around. You will see if you haven’t yet especially TSA boasting they are accepting almost any type of ID to fly. Even those with arrest and convictions records from other countries. Or a maybe a Dunkin Donuts card . Do you see any issue that could come about? You and I would need a drivers’s license to get a f’ng library card .
you mean the same Madison where avg home price is over $750k? lol. talk about out of touch.

I couldn't be more confused by the post. What does Dunkin' Donuts have to do with this.

bottom line is bullying in today's environment where things don't ever go away cause of the internet have severe consequences for people. The OPs story is very sad all around. All we can hope is people and kids learn and society gets better.
Best of luck dealing with your family yes. The board supports you.

Reactions: RUevolution36
Very sorry that your niece was assaulted.I will add her to my prayers for a full recovery and a long, healthy and ::Happy life.
beaced - you are always a class person. My love and blessings out to you my friend!

Reactions: beaced
Madison is very upscale. Not to say there aren't a lot of kids in schools with issues. In most cases, the issues may be different but there are no issue free schools. lol
In lodi most issues were gangs, street drugs and street fights. In Madison, you have cyber bullying, body shaming, low esteem, cliques and oxy

Madison is very upscale. Not to say there aren't a lot of kids in schools with issues. In most cases, the issues may be different but there are no issue free schools. lol
In lodi most issues were gangs, street drugs and street fights. In Madison, you have cyber bullying, body shaming, low esteem, cliques and oxy
And drugs

Reactions: Section124
this is absolutely true. to think that an affluent town and school is issue free because they are affluent is a very incorrect assumption. people, and kids especially, will find whatever way to identify themselves in a certain tribe. the tribal nature can become very toxic, as we can see with this situation with the kids...i used to think that kids should be happy that they have all these technological resources at their fingertips. however, with that, it has brought the need to be "on" all the time and the stress of avoiding being shamed or bullied by your peers is 24/7.

you mean the same Madison where avg home price is over $750k? lol. talk about out of touch.
What did I say for a price range 400-1 million+ now who is the clueless one ? …and you can pick up properties for 400k still there. But it will be a tear down . You are such an idiot.Go back to sleep .

I couldn't be more confused by the post. What does Dunkin' Donuts have to do with this.

bottom line is bullying in today's environment where things don't ever go away cause of the internet have severe consequences for people. The OPs story is very sad all around. All we can hope is people and kids learn and society gets better.
Best of luck dealing with your family yes. The board supports you.
Because people like your self are unaware of why the once good neighborhoods are going to shit. I can’t wait for people to all realize nothing is changing for the better. I was answering your post and figured a genius such as yourself and a scientific wizard would like to know about things which allows trash to come into this country without being vetted . Now perhaps your good with that stupidity but frankly 80+ % of Legal Americans are not , Even the staunchest supporters of no borders in their quiet moments understand this. I would recommend you pay attention going forward.

Just needed to put this out there. If you are a parent and have school aged children. Make sure to talk to them and really listen. Also- if your kid is the popular kid, top athlete and or well respected in their school. Talk to them about standing up for kids that they see going through it. Even if it is just checking to see if they are ok or a smile every once in a while.
We are so happy that our kids took this approach- even our oldest that played here and was the biggest, most out spoken , most popular kid in his school. He was also always a ball buster to his friends and had no problem speaking his mind to teachers- one thing that never happened- no one in that school would bully a kid anywhere near him. Many of his friends that also came to the house where the outcasts as well.

I post this as my niece, who is 13 y/o just tried and almost successfully to commit suicide yesterday. She and her mom recently moved from Lodi to Madison and she is in a new school. LAst year a gang of over 10 girls jumped her at the Garden State Mall, beat her unconscious, kicked her in the head numerous times and stripped her clothes off in the middle of the mall and filmed it and distributed it. Those girls were all arrested but a couple of days ago- someone found this video and shared it around her new school and they started making fun of seeing her nude body.
She is recovering today after a very rough night. She was found unresponsive, pale and purple lips by her mother who made have found her just in time.

I just had to share as this is very important. Your child could be hiding depression or bullying or your child could be that person that could make a difference in someone's life.
First paragraph shows heroism.

Second - my prayers go out to you.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
And yes this should not have happened the question is why is it happening EVERYDAY in let’s say NYC or Chicago.? In cities and towns all over is is European ancestry?

I actually have a feel good story about bullying. My brother has a nephew who was on the autistic scale but mainstreamed into his highschool. The nephew was a big, broadshouldered kid. One day some punk decided to show off in front of a couple of girls by punching the nephew once or twice in the face. The nephew decided that enough was enough, hauled off and punched the bully so hard that he broke his jaw, knocked him out cold, and during the fall broke his collar bone. The bully's parents complained to the school but was told nothing would be done because he was the agreessor.

That was nice. 😍

Because people like your self are unaware of why the once good neighborhoods are going to shit. I can’t wait for people to all realize nothing is changing for the better. I was answering your post and figured a genius such as yourself and a scientific wizard would like to know about things which allows trash to come into this country without being vetted . Now perhaps your good with that stupidity but frankly 80+ % of Legal Americans are not , Even the staunchest supporters of no borders in their quiet moments understand this. I would recommend you pay attention going forward.

WTF are you even talking about, Bob?

You got the towns mixed up from the OP hours ago and are just blathering on and on.

I am so sorry. This is so so sad. Your niece, having attempted suicide, is now at increased risk to try again. Prior attempts are strongest predictor of future attemts and desths. She needs ongoing counseling to help process through this trauma. Her family needs to face what happened and be there for her too. I'm just sickened and I hope there will be arrests.

Reactions: redking
In Madison NJ? Sounds like a very upscale town has completely gone down the crapper . Or is this a different Madison NJ. I know there were changes occurring 10-15 years ago but a girl gang . Never believed people living in $ 400-1 mil plus homes would have gangs in the school system . Oh wait never mind … we’ve had plenty of gangs infiltrate our country for awhile now. Carry On.
Some of the worst bullying happens in so-called "upscale" schools and towns. Why? One main reason is the entitlement these kids have in thinking that they can get away with it. When our daughter started in school out here which was relatively upscale on the order of Madison or Chatham there was definitely a cliquey group who while not overt bullies went out of there way to exclude anyone new. Luckily our daughter handled it well and did have some dependable friends that she made. She is now in high school and it's much better for her.

As an aside, and yesrutgers01 mentioned it above....it is imperative that kids step in and confront their peers who are bullying when they see it. When we were still in NJ and our daughter was between 4th and 5th grade she stood up for a girl being bullied one day at summer camp. A couple of months later my wife ran into to the mother of the girl that was bullied and when she realized who she was and who our daughter was she went on about how much it meant for her daughter to have someone stand up for her so that does make a difference.

The problem for the schools is that most of the bullying happens on social media and outside of the school buildings. The incident at the mall is beyond the reach of the school, even though the perps are school students.

Best wishes to the OP’s family and niece.

Last edited:
That's not being mean. That's being f in fed up and ready to stand ground in this fracked up world.
I'll tell you another thing. If those "kids" who did the attack don't get serious jail time I wouldn't be responsible for my actions. Just sayin. SSS.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
not the place...thank you

My prayers to your niece and her parents & family. That's just brutal & heartbreaking to think of what your niece has had to endure. I hope she gets the help she needs to move forward and is able to live a wonderful life. That poor girl has gone through so much pain, Im praying she gets to feel that much happiness & more in the times ahead.

Thanks for posting & bringing awareness to many families that have or may go through bullying.

Maybe some posters would know good counseling resources if needed.

My prayers to your niece and her parents & family. That's just brutal & heartbreaking to think of what your niece has had to endure. I hope she gets the help she needs to move forward and is able to live a wonderful life. That poor girl has gone through so much pain, Im praying she gets to feel that much happiness & more in the times ahead.

Thanks for posting & bringing awareness to many families that have or may go through bullying.

Maybe some posters would know good counseling resources if needed.
unfortunetly, her mother has been asked to bring her to counseling many times but refuses to do so.
Even today- we were very shocked that they just released our niece without any observation. You would think they would keep her at least 24-48 hours and require counseling before allowing her to leave.

My first question is where the hell was mall security? A "knock out game" assault or quick "beat and run" incident is beyond their capacity to prevent, but this sounds like it went on for a while.

Second, someone referred to the old days, which includes mine. There certainly was bullying going on, but social media puts it on steroids.

Finally, I and I'm sure everyone posting wishes your niece a complete recovery. Time for her friends, and hopefully she made some during her brief time at her new school, really step up.
The Garden State Plaza is one of the biggest malls on the east coast. The mall has plenty of security and local (Paramus) police. They just can't cover every place in the mall around the clock. There are locations (restrooms) isolated off of long hallways of the main concourses where a lot of action occurs. I stopped a fight in one of those areas, and no one from one of the main concourse was even aware of the incident.

yesrutgers01
Kids can be mean. Just keep supporting your niece, so she stays strong through this incident.

unfortunetly, her mother has been asked to bring her to counseling many times but refuses to do so.
Even today- we were very shocked that they just released our niece without any observation. You would think they would keep her at least 24-48 hours and require counseling before allowing her to leave.
I’ve never heard of anyone (especially a minor) being released. Her mom sounds like part of the issue no offense. How hard is it to go to a therapist a few nights a week?
It’s good she has you and your wife on her side. She needs to feel loved.
Your niece needs intense therapy with and without her mother or she will never heal from this. Going back to school now after the video and everyone knowing she tried to hurt herself is going to be very difficult. If she doesn’t get help she will try this again.
Was she alone at the mall? Was this brutal incident in the news? I know she is a minor but usually they just state the age.

Reactions: koleszar
Loss of respect, poor parenting, erosion of values, and social media is a horrid combination. Too often, social media brings out the worst of people—people of all ages.
Agree . This isn’t technically social media here, but it brings out the worst in many of us . Even plum street at times

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
It’s actually reportable to DCPP. Unfortunately, low odds they do anything about it.

When the hospital releases, they do so with a “plan”. Unfortunately for kids, they are really at the mercy of their parent actually following through on the items in the plan. It sucks.
Please encourage your niece to see what resources are at her school: school counselor, school based youth services, student assistance counselor, etc. She really needs more people (and more mandated reporters) in her corner.

I’ve never heard of anyone (especially a minor) being released. Her mom sounds like part of the issue no offense. How hard is it to go to a therapist a few nights a week?
It’s good she has you and your wife on her side. She needs to feel loved.
Your niece needs intense therapy with and without her mother or she will never heal from this. Going back to school now after the video and everyone knowing she tried to hurt herself is going to be very difficult. If she doesn’t get help she will try this again.
Was she alone at the mall? Was this brutal incident in the news? I know she is a minor but usually they just state the age.
Yeah- something seems off with them letting her out. I am assuming her mother found a way to talk them out of keeping her. She has a knack for convincing everyone from the Police to child services that everything is all hunky dory all the time and has her daughter trained to lie her ass off to back her mother's story.

dropped off by her mother which I don't agree with but it seems many parents do. She did meet up with some friends but the long story seems that one or two of these "friends" were part of the set up. I do have to say though, when I saw it- the first 2 girls jumped her and they were pretty "big" girls. one of them must have been 5'8 or taller and in the 175 range. My niece is 5ft2 125. But after the first sucker punch- she went at them and could even say she was getting the best of the two of them when the other girls jumped in. The hardest thing to watch was when you could see she was unconcious and they where stomping on her head.

• Sad
Reactions: Jm0513
It’s actually reportable to DCPP. Unfortunately, low odds they do anything about it.

When the hospital releases, they do so with a “plan”. Unfortunately for kids, they are really at the mercy of their parent actually following through on the items in the plan. It sucks.
Please encourage your niece to see what resources are at her school: school counselor, school based youth services, student assistance counselor, etc. She really needs more people (and more mandated reporters) in her corner.
the system is the problem and I will leave it at that. and guess what happens when a youth talks to a counselor or therapist - they tell the parent exactly what the child told them. Child services is also worse than useless.

I'm going to mention again as I do get caught up in what happened. But I crated this thread more for awareness and hope that the many parents that are on these boards may read it and either get them to talk to their children and listen to them and hopefully make a difference. OR to talk to your child on how they can make a difference in such a simple easy way.

Thanks

The Garden State Plaza is one of the biggest malls on the east coast. The mall has plenty of security and local (Paramus) police. They just can't cover every place in the mall around the clock. There are locations (restrooms) isolated off of long hallways of the main concourses where a lot of action occurs. I stopped a fight in one of those areas, and no one from one of the main concourse was even aware of the incident.

yesrutgers01
Kids can be mean. Just keep supporting your niece, so she stays strong through this incident.
Thank you brother...

And you may find this hard to believe but it was in the lobby of the theater. no excuse for security

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT