ADVERTISEMENT

OT. Cape Cod, never went, and I'd love suggestions.

Exit117

Sophomore
Oct 19, 2003
My wife and I are going to Cape Cop this year for the first time, and our a little overwhelmed by how many choices there are on the Cape. I would love to hear from you guys on where you've stayed, and where you've eaten, and where the nices beaches are. Thanks in advance.

If you want a place with lots of amenities - Ocean Edge Resort on Cape Cod is nice - yes $$$$ ... it is bay side & you can walk to bay side beach - it has golf - but you can venture off to where ever you want

Ferries to Nantucket or Martha's Ferry are great. Provincetown at the tip is like Key West North ! lol, Very colorful, very diverse, right on the water (bay one side, ocean the other) , big Art scene, theaters, great restaurants and bars that stay open late. Giant Sand Dunes and about 4 different beache from the low-no wave beaches on the bay to the Big waves on the Ocean sides (tip of the Island). Turo and Wellfleet are also great beach towns at the end of the island , just before P'town. Terrific Whale watching excursions too. The closer towns like Dennis, Chatham, etc are very traditional Cape Cod towns. It's all good, just depends on your preferences.

Really haven't been there is about 40 years, but IF not much has changed, and IF you want to get away from some more of the crowded spots, you should spend time (as was mentioned) as far out on the Cape as possible, in the towns just before Provincetown -- Welfleet and Truro. GREAT beaches, really cool fresh-water ponds, like Gull Pond (if that's your thing), and great seafood places. If it's still there, Welfleet had a drive-in movie theater, and a small downtown area with shops, etc. Welfleet also has a nice fishing pier. Lieutenant's Island is a great place to explore (at low tide), if you can dig for clams and look for shells, etc. You should definitely spend time in P-Town -- it's like not too many other places you've experienced. Great restaurants, bars, shops, and ongoing entertainment. You won't be bored. Rent bikes and ride along the many miles of paths, as well. A number of old railroad lines have been converted into bike paths. I'd say go over to Marconi Station, as well, to learn about the history of overseas communication and all that stuff. Traffic can be a pain getting over the bridge onto the Cape, but that's the deal if you go during busy times.

Not my favorite place. Water is too cold, crowds are huge, and way too many folks are speaking with that annoying Boston accent. My one piece of advice, do your homework. Find a good location away from the crowds and book the timing of your stay to avoid the weekend rush. Nothing kills the start of a vacation like hours and hours of traffic. Try Thursday to Thursday or something like that.

Depends what you're looking for. If you want more developed, populated, and a stronger concentration of nightlight you'll want to look at the Hyannis, Falmouth, Chatham.

But my suggestion and favorite is the Brewster-Orleans-Eastham area. I've stayed in Orleans and Eastham quite a bit. It's quieter but there are restaurants and bars to enjoy. Rent a house and hit the local beaches or head up to the National Seashore. The Cape experience is much different than the Jersey shore it's more like LBI than the boardwalk towns.

You can rent kayaks in Orleans and check out the cove and all the way out to the ocean. If you have and enjoy riding bikes bring them. Amazing bike trails all over the cape with stops at food places. There is lots to do but it's just not as concentrated as Jersey shore towns.

There is the Orleans Cardinals..I mean Firebirds (greedy MLB)...baseball. Cape Cod baseball is a must no matter where you stay. Great college players and awesome for kids to watch. I've seen a lot of future MLB players on the cape.

Once you've narrowed down where you're staying come back for more recommendations on restaurants etc. But if you like fried clams (get the whole belly!) you must visit Cobie's Clam Shack in Brewster and Arnolds in Eastham - both are excellent! And now I'm craving them!

Originally posted by chickenpatty2:
Really haven't been there is about 40 years, but IF not much has changed, and IF you want to get away from some more of the crowded spots, you should spend time (as was mentioned) as far out on the Cape as possible, in the towns just before Provincetown -- Welfleet and Truro. GREAT beaches, really cool fresh-water ponds, like Gull Pond (if that's your thing), and great seafood places. If it's still there, Welfleet had a drive-in movie theater, and a small downtown area with shops, etc. Welfleet also has a nice fishing pier. Lieutenant's Island is a great place to explore (at low tide), if you can dig for clams and look for shells, etc. You should definitely spend time in P-Town -- it's like not too many other places you've experienced. Great restaurants, bars, shops, and ongoing entertainment. You won't be bored. Rent bikes and ride along the many miles of paths, as well. A number of old railroad lines have been converted into bike paths. I'd say go over to Marconi Station, as well, to learn about the history of overseas communication and all that stuff. Traffic can be a pain getting over the bridge onto the Cape, but that's the deal if you go during busy times.
Second for Truro, especially. My wife's father started spending the month of August up in North Truro in the late 50s and did that until about 10 years ago. I started joining them in the late 80s. Truro has very low density housing, with houses spaced pretty far apart on the dunes and no real "subdivsions" or resort areas, so it's never crowded on either the bayside or ocean beaches, but outside of August, the water is usually 65F or below, which is a too cold for me (and sometimes it's too cold in August, too). Many places will rent, but some are just monthly or seasonal rentals. Lots of great hiking/biking/canoeing etc. and a couple of nice restaurants in the very small "downtown." Also has one of the great old general stores anywhere (Jam's) with the best cinnamon rolls on the planet.

Provincetown is just a short 10 minute drive away and there is a ton to do in that town - great restaurants, art, bars, shops, etc. - all the interesting/eclectic things one would expect in a community with a large gay population. I'd highly recommend a whale watch boat trip, too, especially if you have kids (they always find the whales). And Wellfleet is also just 10 minutes away and it's a very different, but also nice town (much more subdued/conservative, but still some nice restaurants/shops etc.). One of my favorite places is the Beachcomber bar/grill right on the ocean in Wellfleet - awesome raw bar and a really cool, laid back bar, featuring good music (sometimes national acts).

Haven't been in about 5 years - about time to go back for us...

We have gone for many years. We stay at the Yactsman Condominiums in Hyannis. It is on Lewis Bay just off the Nantucket Sound and is waterfront (one of the few). The water is warm and quiet. You can walk to the ferries to Nantucket and Martha's Vinyard. Hyannis is centrally located for most of the Cape. Mak no mistake. The Cape is filled to brimming with people in July and August but there are still many quiet places to relax. Lastly there is great food, theater and shopping if that is your thing. However do not wear any Yankees regalia (LOL) the results aren't pleasant.

Originally posted by Scarlet Pride:
Depends what you're looking for. If you want more developed, populated, and a stronger concentration of nightlight you'll want to look at the Hyannis, Falmouth, Chatham.

But my suggestion and favorite is the Brewster-Orleans-Eastham area. I've stayed in Orleans and Eastham quite a bit. It's quieter but there are restaurants and bars to enjoy. Rent a house and hit the local beaches or head up to the National Seashore. The Cape experience is much different than the Jersey shore it's more like LBI than the boardwalk towns.

You can rent kayaks in Orleans and check out the cove and all the way out to the ocean. If you have and enjoy riding bikes bring them. Amazing bike trails all over the cape with stops at food places. There is lots to do but it's just not as concentrated as Jersey shore towns.

There is the Orleans Cardinals..I mean Firebirds (greedy MLB)...baseball. Cape Cod baseball is a must no matter where you stay. Great college players and awesome for kids to watch. I've seen a lot of future MLB players on the cape.

Once you've narrowed down where you're staying come back for more recommendations on restaurants etc. But if you like fried clams (get the whole belly!) you must visit Cobie's Clam Shack in Brewster and Arnolds in Eastham - both are excellent! And now I'm craving them!
+1

Impudent Oyster in Chatham & Mac's Seafood Shack in Wellfleet are usually on our list every time we stay at the Cape. For the sweet stuff, Hopkins House Bakery (Brewster) & Marion's Pie shop (Chatham). Biking on the Cape Cod Bike trail can be a nice activity.

The Cape is a great choice. No matter where you stay be sure to do the Cape Cod Summer League. 70% of MLB players who played in college went through this league. Awesome, town ball atmosphere in particular in Orleans and Chatham.
We go to the Outer Cape, the National Seashore: Wellfleet, Truro, Ptown. The blend of natural beauty and stuff to do can't be beat in Provincetown in particular, but Wellfleet has good restaurants, ponds, etc. Truro is scenic and calm without much of a town though.

I have been going for 25 years and love it more every year. The only 2 drawbacks I see are traffic on Rt 6 and very cold ocean water. If the temp hits 60, you've had a good day. Bring your wet suit.

Went there during 7 summers and 2 falls. Stayed mostly in Chatham - which is now known as one of worlds great white shark hot spots after thousands of seals returned to elbow of the Cape. Chatham was nice though because it had these inlets of shallow, clear water that meandered around the beaches, and were about knee deep. Lots of fiddler crabs, small fishes etc. The lighthouse and scenery is really nice (especially in fall when the skies are bluer). The town had parades for tourists and there were always lots of kids.

Provincetown was ok for seeing the Pilgrim Monument, and to take in the national seashore on the drive up. Otherwise its like going to Greenwich Village. I rarely wanted to go further north than Eastham (which is nice). Brewster was also nice and they have a campground (Nickerson State Park) with very shallow, very clear lakes (you could walk out for yards and be only knee deep). I went to Nantucket once. Fascinating place since it was physically preserved as if in amber following rapid collapse of whale oil. Didn't really care for it much otherwise. Its posh and the locals hate the tourists.

One thing to be aware of anywhere in Cape Cod is the ticks. People associate ticks with the woods but the bushes and grasses on the beach areas are loaded with them (similar to Montauk where "Montauk Knee" was infamous).

This post was edited on 3/27 4:25 PM by RU0517581

Cape Residents Worry Tourists Aren’t Taking Precau

As long as you don't forget to take the ferries to Nantucket and/or Martha's Vineyard (very different places, but I can see not doing both depending on how much time you have) you really can't go wrong. Provincetown is a trip but it's not for everybody. I love the cape. Great beaches all over, fantastic seafood restaurants, nightlife concentrated in certain areas so you can enjoy if you want and not have it annoy you if you don't. Definitely not too many must-sees, because so much of it is good. Explore and enjoy.

On the Cape right now...own a second home here. Glad to help.

Post an email and I'll send u a note.

My family has owned a home in Falmouth since 1970. I recommend that you go before schools get out in early June or after Labor Day to avoid the congestion.

Nantucket is not Cape Cod and is a more remote and very quiet location while Martha's Vineyard is a much shorter day trip from Falmouth where you can ride bicycles or rent mopeds.

So many choices to consider on the Cod. But beware of the inconsistent weather. If you get sunshine on 50% or more of your vacation then you are doing well.

Cape Cod is certainly beautiful in its own right but, in my opinion, nothing tops the islands.

Martha's Vineyard is my favorite place on the planet and I've owned a house there for more than 20 years. Nantucket is beautiful too but as another poster noted it is very different even though the two islands look remarkably similar (especially the Martha's Vineyard town of Edgartown - incusive of the neighboring island of Chappaquidick - which is almost a clone of Nantucket).

What sets the islands apart from the Cape (and the rest of America) is the stark lack of commercialization and the real "small town feel." There are no high rise hotels, very few major national chains (the only fast food restaurant on the Vineyard is a very small Dairy Queen in Edgartown, there are no parking garages, no traffic lights, and no parking meters in any of the towns. You can imagine what America was like in a small town 100 years ago. You won't find a big box store, a shopping mall, Walmart, Target, or Sam's Club. All of that stuff is on the other side of the water.

Beautiful beaches, friendly relaxed people, and awesome seafood.

I've spent far less time on the Cape but I do love Woods Hole and Falmouth which is where you catch the ferry to the Vineyard. Hyannis is centrally located too. .

Good tips above about staying in the Orleans to Wellfleet area.

We spent a lot of time in Harwich visiting family, but the Nantucket sound side can mostly be skipped. The water is clean but not clear. We like Bank St beach, but most of the beaches are just ok. There is a cool place to rent kayaks along 28 in Dennis where you can paddle through a marshy river area. Embers in Harwichport is very popular for its burnt brick of pizza if that is your thing, but we go to Georges (lots of greek pizza on the cape). If you are staying past Chatham - check out Nantucket ferries from Harwichport. It will save some time vs Hyannis. Nantucket is a good day trip.

Cape league baseball is highly recommended. Many of the towns have a team and they play at the local high schools and stay with host families. Its free, and good old school fun.

You can't miss with any of the National Seashore beaches - clean clear water, nice beaches, off the beaten path. Nausset beach has a fish place called Liam's. Pack something cold, grab some food , and set up camp on the beach to catch the end of the day, or a full moon rise if you time it. Sea lions are often out there just off shore. The surf area gets rockier the further north you go. The water is cold. Arnold's ice cream is very good, and the restaurant is always packed. The Bookstore restaurant in Wellfleet is good. Chatham Bars is a good choice on the formal expensive end.

The bay side is best for walking at low tide - huge areas of rippled sand emerge, Skaket beach in Orleans is my favorite, but there are some nice ones in Dennis and Brewster also. Its very cool. If you can stay someplace where you can walk to the water you will be able to relax more. Parking is an issue , but if you are an early riser you can park at most of the beaches for free without any trouble if you leave before they open, and you get the best part of the day at the beach. JT's on 6 is our stop for lobster. Sesuit harbor cafe is nice stop.

On the way off the cape, Seafood Sams in Sandwich is pretty good.

On their own I don't know if any of these food places are going to blow you away, but if you are in a relaxed summer mode, they good eats.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT