ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Car Accident and Insurance Question

Shelby65

All American
Apr 1, 2008
Another driver and I backed into each other in the middle of a driving lane in a Costco parking lot. Looking back and through mirrors I didn’t see her also backing up toward me.

We figured we were both obviously at fault so didnt call the police and bother with a police report. We moved our cars out of the driving lane, took photos of our documents and texted them to each other. Then I realized the insurance card she showed was several years out of date. She said she was actually insured by a different company now, but in the confusion I didn’t get a pic of the current card.

I don’t intend to file a claim and will pay for my own repairs, but I worry that if she files a claim against me and without a police report my ins company may pay out without contacting me to inquire therefore affecting my rate, driving history, etc.

Could I get screwed if she has my insurance info and I don’t have her correct current info ? and could she blindside me, blaming me now for something at the time we agreed was both our faults ?

Another driver and I backed into each other in the middle of a driving lane in a Costco parking lot. Looking back and through mirrors I didn’t see her also backing up toward me.

We figured we were both obviously at fault so didnt call the police and bother with a police report. We moved our cars out of the driving lane, took photos of our documents and texted them to each other. Then I realized the insurance card she showed was several years out of date. She said she was actually insured by a different company now, but in the confusion I didn’t get a pic of the current card.

I don’t intend to file a claim and will pay for my own repairs, but I worry that if she files a claim against me and without a police report my ins company may pay out without contacting me to inquire therefore affecting my rate, driving history, etc.

Could I get screwed if she has my insurance info and I don’t have her correct current info ? and could she blindside me, blaming me now for something at the time we agreed was both our faults ?
Just a few quick thoughts..(I'm no insurance agent or lawyer). how bad was the damage to her car? Did you take pictures of the damage to her car? Your car? The scene? That might support the no-fault/equal fault nature of what is likely a small claim at best.
Any reason you can't text her back for the current Ins. card? why not call your ins. just to put it on record but as long as they don't pay out on yours or file a claim it wouldn't effect your policy. I would also think that your insurance company isn't just going to pay her based on her claim without some proof either.

Reactions: redking
I had the same thing happen to me 10 years ago. I was in a. narrow parking lot in Red Bank. Came to a complete stop and started to move forward when I was hit in my right rear bumper. I had a 2008 VW Touareg that was equipped with rear camera but I still looked over my inside shoulder as was taught in drivers ed hahahhah. I get out of car and speak with the 82 year old man that hit me. His car a hyundai made contact at passenger rear quarter panel and crumbled. He did not want to call the police. My wife and I insisted being we could see the Red Bank police department from the parking lot. Officer came took our stories and looked at the damage. Could not say it was a zero fault accident because he nor anyone else observed but he assigned 75% fault to the other driver. Bart the other driver admitted fault to the officer and we moved on.

6 months later I get a call from my insurance agent telling us our coverage was going up because of the accident. My wife and I were dumbfounded and told him there was no damage to our car and the other person claimed responsibility and the police report stated the other driver was at primary fault. I forwarded the information to the agent. He called me a week later and said there was nothing he could do the carrier settled without contacting him. He did roll back the price but we could not seek a new carrier without waiting until it was off the record.

So be careful there are real scumbags out there when it comes to accidents. Also insurance companies settle rather quickly when there are no injury minimal damage accidents.

Just a few quick thoughts..(I'm no insurance agent or lawyer). how bad was the damage to her car? Did you take pictures of the damage to her car? Your car? The scene? That might support the no-fault/equal fault nature of what is likely a small claim at best.
Any reason you can't text her back for the current Ins. card? why not call your ins. just to put it on record but as long as they don't pay out on yours or file a claim it wouldn't effect your policy. I would also think that your insurance company isn't just going to pay her based on her claim without some proof either.
DO NOT call your insurance to "put it on record" unless you plan on using them. Once you call them to let them know it happened- it IS ON YOUR record...

DO NOT call your insurance to "put it on record" unless you plan on using them. Once you call them to let them know it happened- it IS ON YOUR record...
won't argue...looks like others have also said its unfortunately not as simple I would have thought. BUT, I can tell you that while I haven't done this or had reason to do it with a car I have indeed done this with Homeowners (twice) with no effect on policy. The only time I did get hit was when I made the stupid decision to put a claim in for a $1000 event (of which I had to pay $500 deduct) only to get a 3 year $200 surcharge lol! So it cost my $1100 by going thru insurance.

won't argue...looks like others have also said its unfortunately not as simple I would have thought. BUT, I can tell you that while I haven't done this or had reason to do it with a car I have indeed done this with Homeowners (twice) with no effect on policy. The only time I did get hit was when I made the stupid decision to put a claim in for a $1000 event (of which I had to pay $500 deduct) only to get a 3 year $200 surcharge lol! So it cost my $1100 by going thru insurance.
My son had a parking lot incident as well a couple of years ago. Damage to either vehicle was minimal but both of the people being young and never in an accident before, exchanged cards and then both called their own insurance to ask what they are supposed to do if they just take care of their own issues themselves.,they thought you were required to call insurance even if you aren’t going to go through them. Both ended up just deciding not to do anything. I think our son spent $250 for a touch up and detail and the other guy did nothing.
Of course- he gets a cancellation notice in the mail do to his “accident”. Just by calling and telling them it happened, no claim filed by either party.
and then searching for a new provider, it was on his record...

Car 'insurance'' a scam. The companies that do lots of this are usually scum.

We have the horrendous scam of "no-fault insurance" in NJ, so in theory it shouldn't even matter. Your own company is supposed to cover your injuries* anyway.

I am rather salty about NJ auto insurance. Two years ago a dude in a truck ran my wife down as she was walking in a parking lot, and she has mostly lost her hearing as a result. Our own company has paid only some of our expenses, and the other company (Allstate) has not yet paid a dime for what their driver did. So maybe don't go by me, ha ha.

* I edited to replace the word "damages" with injuries, which is what I meant (if you know my story, you know there were no "damages.")

Last edited:
"no fault" is kind of a misnomer and most people don't understand. It means that regardless of fault, your own insurance company pays your medical bills for auto related injuries.

Obviously not 100% successful, but in general, its better than trying to get another carrier to pay the bills for your injuries. Hard enough to get them to pay for damages to your car, do you really want hospital bills etc racking up without getting paid while they dilly dally looking at them?

Reactions: PSU_Nut
"no fault" is kind of a misnomer and most people don't understand. It means that regardless of fault, your own insurance company pays your medical bills for auto related injuries.

Obviously not 100% successful, but in general, its better than trying to get another carrier to pay the bills for your injuries. Hard enough to get them to pay for damages to your car, do you really want hospital bills etc racking up without getting paid while they dilly dally looking at them?
Deleted this part, I have had this discussion too many times and tired of it. But will leave the next part.

Also, my wife, a pedestrian, couldn't be less at fault, but our own company has not "paid our medical bills for her auto related injuries."

Deleted this part, I have had this discussion too many times and tired of it. But will leave the next part.

Also, my wife, a pedestrian, couldn't be less at fault, but our own company has not "paid our medical bills for her auto related injuries."
Interesting. Not sure why. Sorry to hear the issues though.

I remember you telling this story- Though, I am still baffled. Were you saying they are accusing her to be the one at fault and not the driver of the car? Or are you saying that they are asking for your medical insurance to pay before the other person's car insurance pays? I am so confused...

I remember you telling this story- Though, I am still baffled. Were you saying they are accusing her to be the one at fault and not the driver of the car? Or are you saying that they are asking for your medical insurance to pay before the other person's car insurance pays? I am so confused...
Just a general fyi for all. If you didn't know and IF your Primary medical allows you can save a little cash on the car insurance if you designate them to be primary in case of injury and PIP secondary. It may also avoid the payment delays and games?
Of course your deductibles need to be a consideration as well.

My company (Plimith Rok) will say they will pay x percent, or a certain amount, or some babble. At first they paid for most of some bills. But they stopped paying for things long ago. I still get bills from services rendered the very day of the accident, April 15, 2019.

The other company, Awlstait, requires proof that my wife's sudden hearing loss was due to her being hit by a truck and her head slamming onto the asphalt, knocking her unconscious. But the only "proof" they will accept would be if there was a video camera running inside her head capturing the damage done as it happened. My lawyer and I are no match for them, with their experience, teams of lawyers, deep pockets, and generous (to them) laws. It's a nice setup they have arranged.

I don't need the money, and no amount would bring my wife's hearing back, so I try not to get too upset about it. But it really does bother me when people stick up for the insurance industry as moral titans, and claim that no-fault is better than what it replaced...

edited to add: My lawyer is too nice and I am a straight-arrow. I know that some others would go the Saul Goodman route. They are smarter than me...

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
My company (Plimith Rok) will say they will pay x percent, or a certain amount, or some babble. At first they paid for most of some bills. But they stopped paying for things long ago. I still get bills from services rendered the very day of the accident, April 15, 2019.

The other company, Awlstait, requires proof that my wife's sudden hearing loss was due to her being hit by a truck and her head slamming onto the asphalt, knocking her unconscious. But the only "proof" they will accept would be if there was a video camera running inside her head capturing the damage done as it happened. My lawyer and I are no match for them, with their experience, teams of lawyers, deep pockets, and generous (to them) laws. It's a nice setup they have arranged.

I don't need the money, and no amount would bring my wife's hearing back, so I try not to get too upset about it. But it really does bother me when people stick up for the insurance industry as moral titans, and claim that no-fault is better than what it replaced...

edited to add: My lawyer is too nice and I am a straight-arrow. I know that some others would go the Saul Goodman route. They are smarter than me...
Man there ought to be a lawsuit in there ...

Man there ought to be a lawsuit in there ...
Thank you for the clarification. It isn't so much a no fault case but a case of an insurance company just wanting to F you over. Burden of proof should be on the driver in a case where a pedestrian is hit by a car.
I think you may be right about your lawyer. Was this his specialized line of law?
And as you say- it isn't about the money- your wife has gone through a horrible permanent hardship. And if it was in 2019- you should get a hardcore personal injury lawyer as your 2 year limit will be coming up quickly. I would go after them if for nothing else- they should be taking care of this and not make your wife's hardship worse than it already is.
Best of luck

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
I remember back in the early 80's- had a GF whos father was VP of a fairly good sized Insurance company.

I remember him explaining the model insurance companies used back then.

Accident - even a first time offense which may have even clearly stated on policy tha there would be no rate change on first accident if no bodily damage. and tickets that were 2 points or less with the same clause in policy that it had to be 3 points before being raised.

Their policy was to ALWAYS raise the premium. And if a policy owner challenged it, they would not fight it, say, "oops, my bad, you are right" and put it back to the correct unchanged rate. But, their actuaries already knew that 65-70% of people either never pay attention to their payments or never read the policy and just accept the raise in rates.
So, it was a no lose for the insurance company to attempt to raise everyone

But it really does bother me when people stick up for the insurance industry as moral titans, and claim that no-fault is better than what it replaced...
Seems to me that the issue here is very specific to your case, in that your wife was a pedestrian, and therefore not driving a car, and therefore not really covered by auto insurance at the time? 'No fault' is I assume meant for car to car accidents, no?

Reactions: RUnTeX

I think your worries are a little misplaced. First off, the only way your insurance company would pay out on a claim would be after they are contacted by her insurance company, so the fact that you don't know her insurance carrier right now is not meaningful. It would only only matter if you wanted to make a claim. Secondly, as already established, insurance companies do not like to pay out claims to other parties and I can't imagine a scenario where they pay this person without even asking for your version of the events.

Seems to me that the issue here is very specific to your case, in that your wife was a pedestrian, and therefore not driving a car, and therefore not really covered by auto insurance at the time? 'No fault' is I assume meant for car to car accidents, no?
That surprised me at the time, as well. But as it turns out, that is the responsibility and obligation of a pedestrian's auto insurance company. They acknowledged it and covered some of the expenses.

Sorry for derailing your thread, Shelby...

Reactions: RUinBoston
Thank you for the clarification. It isn't so much a no fault case but a case of an insurance company just wanting to F you over. Burden of proof should be on the driver in a case where a pedestrian is hit by a car.
I think you may be right about your lawyer. Was this his specialized line of law?
And as you say- it isn't about the money- your wife has gone through a horrible permanent hardship. And if it was in 2019- you should get a hardcore personal injury lawyer as your 2 year limit will be coming up quickly. I would go after them if for nothing else- they should be taking care of this and not make your wife's hardship worse than it already is.
Best of luck
We did tons of things wrong if we were trying to get rich off this. For starters, we hired a nice lawyer (who is a friend) who wasn't extremely experienced at this. Also, like me, my wife is a "get-out-of-bed-and-go-to-work-unless-you're-dead" person just like me. (She is a teacher, and was walking across a parking lot to attend her student's lacrosse game). This happened on a Tuesday. She went to work on Friday with a sore, bruised body, bandages on the back of her head, and new hearing aids in place. I'm sure AulStayt knows that ("see, she wasn't injured at all!!!")

Not unless they pay for a loss.
Incorrect - happened to my son. We had to get him a new carrier. All because he called them that it happened but was going to just settle it himself. No insurance.

We did tons of things wrong if we were trying to get rich off this. For starters, we hired a nice lawyer (who is a friend) who wasn't extremely experienced at this. Also, like me, my wife is a "get-out-of-bed-and-go-to-work-unless-you're-dead" person just like me. (She is a teacher, and was walking across a parking lot to attend her student's lacrosse game). This happened on a Tuesday. She went to work on Friday with a sore, bruised body, bandages on the back of her head, and new hearing aids in place. I'm sure AulStayt knows that ("see, she wasn't injured at all!!!")
Never ever hire a lawyer because they are a friend. Allow them to recommend someone but even if you aren’t looking to get rich- get a lawyer that specializes in the field you are hiring him for.
for an accident like this- most often, would be on contingency

Reactions: RUnTeX and BigWill
I think your worries are a little misplaced. First off, the only way your insurance company would pay out on a claim would be after they are contacted by her insurance company, so the fact that you don't know her insurance carrier right now is not meaningful. It would only only matter if you wanted to make a claim. Secondly, as already established, insurance companies do not like to pay out claims to other parties and I can't imagine a scenario where they pay this person without even asking for your version of the events.
On small settlements they absolutely will settle without asking for all the details. My agent was never notified or asked for additional details prior to settlement. Called my buddy who was a division head actuary at Arch and at Marsh and asked him why they would settle without all the details and he said this is a rounding error claim. Basically anything under x they settle with little explanation. They would spend more money in man hours researching the claim then paying. Larger claims and bodily injury claims are the ones they do their research and find ways not to pay.The actuaries and insurance industry know they can jam you up with increased rates and penalties and you cannot do a thing about it.

Last edited:

no, not the case. I was hit by a car while riding my bicycle, and I was very surprised that because of NJ “no fault” insurance, my car insurance was responsible for my medical costs. However, they only paid 80%. Fortunately, my health insurance through my job paid for other 20% minus deductibles. However, this wasn’t automatic or necessarily required.

We have the horrendous scam of "no-fault insurance" in NJ, so in theory it shouldn't even matter. Your own company is supposed to cover your injuries* anyway.

I am rather salty about NJ auto insurance. Two years ago a dude in a truck ran my wife down as she was walking in a parking lot, and she has mostly lost her hearing as a result. Our own company has paid only some of our expenses, and the other company (Allstate) has not yet paid a dime for what their driver did. So maybe don't go by me, ha ha.

* I edited to replace the word "damages" with injuries, which is what I meant (if you know my story, you know there were no "damages.")
No fault accidents and no fault divorce do exactly what they were intended to do….argue it out in court.
you were correct in calling “no fault” a scam because it was instituted by the bar association to drive more business to the lawyers.

no, not the case. I was hit by a car while riding my bicycle, and I was very surprised that because of NJ “no fault” insurance, my car insurance was responsible for my medical costs. However, they only paid 80%. Fortunately, my health insurance through my job paid for other 20% minus deductibles. However, this wasn’t automatic or necessarily required.
Hypothetically if you didn't own a vehicle and therefore had no reason to carry any auto insurance, would your medical costs have been paid in entirety (less deductible) by your health/medical insurance?

Does not work this way unless they pay out you don't get hit for any increase.

About 6 years ago my car was parked in a lot next to a Red Mustang. I was there to deliver a litter of rescue puppies to the fosters picking them up.

It was very windy that day and the women in the Mustang got into her car and the wind took her door and caused it to hi my car and leave red paint. I watched all of this happen.

When i went over to talk to the woman she was mad and yelled at me for parking next to her. She was a total jerk. I immediately went to the front of her car and took a picture of her license plate. She pulled out of the spot and called me an asshole and said her BF was a cop.

I was pissed . I called the police they came and took a report etc. Long story short I fought with my insurance company about the damage to fix my car. They wanted to pay and were willing to waive the deductible . I said no go after her insurance which was traced through her license plate and records .Her insurance paid and sent me a check. The police hit her with a charge of leaving the scene of an accident. I made her appear in court and dropped the charges or she would have been really screwed.

I donated the $190 check to the rescue and buffed out the red paint on my car.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
I remember back in the early 80's- had a GF whos father was VP of a fairly good sized Insurance company.

I remember him explaining the model insurance companies used back then.

Accident - even a first time offense which may have even clearly stated on policy tha there would be no rate change on first accident if no bodily damage. and tickets that were 2 points or less with the same clause in policy that it had to be 3 points before being raised.

Their policy was to ALWAYS raise the premium. And if a policy owner challenged it, they would not fight it, say, "oops, my bad, you are right" and put it back to the correct unchanged rate. But, their actuaries already knew that 65-70% of people either never pay attention to their payments or never read the policy and just accept the raise in rates.
So, it was a no lose for the insurance company to attempt to raise everyone
People have no idea how much this happens with medical providers and health insurance companies as well. I learned pretty quickly that they will bill for a lot of things you shouldn’t pay (the example that pops into my mind was my insurance company trying to charge the anesthesiologist’s fee who was on call at the hospital when my wife was in the middle of labor as out of network. What, were we supposed to stop everything and start making phone calls to get an in network one to drive there?).

They back down, but I bet there is a large percentage of people who don’t even look at the bills and EOBs let alone contest them, so they make extra money by over billing everything first.

People should understand that if you have any kind of significant injury and/or hospital stay, you need to invest the time to analyze the billing and insurance statements.

Reactions: Plum Street
People have no idea how much this happens with medical providers and health insurance companies as well. I learned pretty quickly that they will bill for a lot of things you shouldn’t pay (the example that pops into my mind was my insurance company trying to charge the anesthesiologist’s fee who was on call at the hospital when my wife was in the middle of labor as out of network. What, were we supposed to stop everything and start making phone calls to get an in network one to drive there?).

They back down, but I bet there is a large percentage of people who don’t even look at the bills and EOBs let alone contest them, so they make extra money by over billing everything first.

People should understand that if you have any kind of significant injury and/or hospital stay, you need to invest the time to analyze the billing and insurance statements.
Oh man- same exact thing happened with me. A few years back, I had an accident that nearly took my damn nose off. Went to ER, they called the "on-call" surgeon, who did a great job. I think it was over 10 internal stitches and 16 external and I have no scar...We paid all of the out of pocket and copay's as per my medical but then got a bill for "out of network" for the on-call Doctor.
We did the same thing- battled it out with insurance and the hospital and beat it but if we didn't, it would have cost me nearly $10k.

Oh man- same exact thing happened with me. A few years back, I had an accident that nearly took my damn nose off. Went to ER, they called the "on-call" surgeon, who did a great job. I think it was over 10 internal stitches and 16 external and I have no scar...We paid all of the out of pocket and copay's as per my medical but then got a bill for "out of network" for the on-call Doctor.
We did the same thing- battled it out with insurance and the hospital and beat it but if we didn't, it would have cost me nearly $10k.
It’s important to note, out of network Doctors are required to send a bill by law. Whether they intend to collect that money or not. Also, when on call, they are required to bill all patients as if they are out of network. It’s illegal to do otherwise. They don’t really expect you pay that 10k. Bonus for them is if you were a cop
Or teacher they would have gotten the full amount.

Should not work this way but did...
Everything has changed in auto insurance pricing since your example. Some of the rating algorithms literally have hundreds of variables. There is almost no way, depending on company, to know if a carrier will charge you more for reporting an accident and for whether they pay the claim or not. And this all varies by state. Take this from someone who has worked on these algorithms. So if This is of concern, just get quotes from other companies after having a claim.

It’s important to note, out of network Doctors are required to send a bill by law. Whether they intend to collect that money or not. Also, when on call, they are required to bill all patients as if they are out of network. It’s illegal to do otherwise. They don’t really expect you pay that 10k. Bonus for them is if you were a cop
Or teacher they would have gotten the full amount.
I do understand that and do not put the blame on the Doctor. They are doing what is required. It is insurance and the hospital networks. And man of man- while I am sure you are most likely tied with them- Englewood is horrible.

They even shocked our Doctor a couple years back- Wife thought she may have the flu. Went to our Primary over there in Wayne. They took swabs and sent out to Englewood for the lab. They actually tried to bill our insurance $12k for that lab work and our out of pocket bill was $2500
We called our Dr...he and his office were shocked by this and went to battle on it for us. It ended up reduced to allowable amount but if we didn't find it and fight it....What happens is that so many, insurance and or Hospitals send out these bills- and even if only 10% pay it, they end up ahead. Who it F@ks, are elderly and maybe less inquisitive or knowledgable who receive bills and just pay them.

Everything has changed in auto insurance pricing since your example. Some of the rating algorithms literally have hundreds of variables. There is almost no way, depending on company, to know if a carrier will charge you more for reporting an accident and for whether they pay the claim or not. And this all varies by state. Take this from someone who has worked on these algorithms. So if This is of concern, just get quotes from other companies after having a claim.
We ended up doing that but still ran into- you have an accident reported by your last carrier. We had to jump through hoops to get it removed. Even the new carrier admitted they did not see a payout but it was still recorded.

I do understand that and do not put the blame on the Doctor. They are doing what is required. It is insurance and the hospital networks. And man of man- while I am sure you are most likely tied with them- Englewood is horrible.

They even shocked our Doctor a couple years back- Wife thought she may have the flu. Went to our Primary over there in Wayne. They took swabs and sent out to Englewood for the lab. They actually tried to bill our insurance $12k for that lab work and our out of pocket bill was $2500
We called our Dr...he and his office were shocked by this and went to battle on it for us. It ended up reduced to allowable amount but if we didn't find it and fight it....What happens is that so many, insurance and or Hospitals send out these bills- and even if only 10% pay it, they end up ahead. Who it F@ks, are elderly and maybe less inquisitive or knowledgable who receive bills and just pay them.
Private labs have surpassed surgery centers in the biggest over billers. And with Covid………
I just took my daughter for a Covid test because it was required to visit a college. 10 second conversation via zoom. I bet it’s 1200 bucks

Sue that Truck Driver and his company

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT