ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Coding class for 6th grader

restartRU

Senior
Feb 20, 2005
any on-line suggestions for my 12 year old nerd in training? strong with tech not much experience with coding.

any on-line suggestions for my 12 year old nerd in training? strong with tech not much experience with coding.
It depends on what they mean by programming in 6th grade...but if they are doing anything even at a basic level that involves a Software Development tool that allows the kids to debug by stepping through the code line by line...that would really help them see where their code gets stuck...and what the values of some of their variables are at the time.

Have you and your nerd checked out MIT's Scratch website. The age range is stated as 8-16. I will check with him later, but I think he started in 4th grade, and remained active for several years. He "met" and collaborated with people that he still stays in touch with as a freshman majoring in Computer Science. We attended several Scratch days, and they were a lot of fun.

https://scratch.mit.edu/parents/#faq

Code.org is good, but depending on how advanced your kid is it may be too simple.

Came across this GitHub repo a few years ago, https://github.com/HollyAdele/awesome-programming-for-kids . It has several good site recommendations.

Sometimes people learn better by playing around with things and applying that knowledge. Two things that involve different aspects of coding are playing around with both coding and electronics are Lego Mindstorms and a Raspberry Pi. Grab those, think a of a project and start plugging away.

Speaking of projects, it might be a good idea to come up with something to work towards and learn programming to get that to work.

Reactions: eceres and redking
If he/she are into electronics, for about $100 you might also want to check out buying a Rasberry Pi, which is a small single board computer. There are tons of home projects available online from a vast community of Rasberry Pi users and hobbyists of all ages.

Python for kids is a good book for such a thing. There are web sites that host virtual environments to code in as well. Scratch is also good but less applicable in the real world. Teaches fundamentals visually.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT